PDA

View Full Version : Styles for not so long hair

prittykitty
August 28th, 2009, 12:39 AM
I have seen many styles for very long hair and how to keep it up, bunned, braids, etc. Are there healthy styles for some of with not so long hair (shoulder length). Putting it up in a bun at this length, the bun looks tiny and braids are not really an option either yet. Are there any idea's that are not damaging while we grow our hair? It is very easy for a person with stick staight hair or someone with very little wave in their hair to just let their hair go and start growing it. For us with shoulder length hair that is very curly and dry, it is much harder. We never wanted hair this short, just that we could never find the right style and the ones we do find require heat which includes blowdryers, staight irons, etc to the point where our hair is now damaged and brought to this length. To just let our hair go and start growing it is a very hard process as it is too curly and poofy and goes all over the place and truly looks bad compared to someone with straight shoulder length hair that can just wash and go. Please help. Thanks so much.

Renbirde
August 28th, 2009, 01:46 AM
Sounts like moisture treatments and braids for you. :) Both styles (French and Dutch) can be cute and fun, and even elegant if you tuck the tail underneath. Sounds like you're not quite long enough for English or rope braids. You might try a Gibson Tuck too-- I think you have enough hair for it... if not, it's something to look forward to. It looks stunning in curly hair.

rhosyn_du
August 28th, 2009, 12:35 PM
When my hair was that length, I wore it in double french twists or peacock twists a lot, one behind each ear. Depending on what you use to hold them, both styles can look either sleek and professional or kind of bouncy and silly. Twisted cornrows can also look really nice on shoulder length wavy hair, since they keep the front all tidy and elegant looking while the back is free to be its wild and crazy self. That was my favorite style for parties for a long time.

Fractalsofhair
August 28th, 2009, 12:51 PM
What about a braid put up?

You do an English braid, twist it off, and then take a bobby pin on the end and fold up the braid, so it's a braided bun sort. Hard to explain.

(Though you do say braids aren't "really" an option)

If the bun looks "tiny" put a baby sock in it, or use a bigger "scrunchie" so it looks more noticeable. Also, try lots of fun headbands.

I wouldn't suggest straightening it, my mum has shoulder length hair(when stretched) and it looks fine in a bun. Once it gets longer, you can do more styles. For my sorta boyfriend(currently in a complicated mode since we didn't talk for a few weeks and need to catch up.), he normally puts his hair in a ponytail(he would have probably mid back hair if it was straightened).

heatherdazy
August 28th, 2009, 01:01 PM
I wear braids all the time at this length!

And curlies usually look better airdried than those of us with straight hair, you just need product, product, product at this length to coat and define your ringlets. Check out naturallycurly.com for tips on how to get your curls to air dry more beautifully.

thankyousir74
August 28th, 2009, 01:04 PM
From someone who has been at this length for a while (and shorter), I'd say your best bet is a french/dutch braid.

In fact, I'm wearing a french braid now :)

There are less options, admittedly, but at least you can take this time to ensure your hair a good start.

basketcase413
August 28th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Sounds like a french twist might be a good option for you too!

ETA: Still trying to figure out why my signature picture is not working! :sad:

Laurenji
August 28th, 2009, 08:42 PM
I second the Gibson Tuck. It's one of my favorite styles, and when I was at shoulder, I felt like I had just enough hair--enough to tuck it in and stay, but not so much that it started poking out the bottom. Plus it looks so elegant, and it keeps the ends tucked in and away from harm.