PDA

View Full Version : Rethinking my hairtype. Help?

rogue_psyche
August 27th, 2009, 10:11 PM
So here's the thing. When I brush my hair before it dries, it is the perfect picture of 1b (like my signature). I always assumed it would just be a messy version of that if I were to do the hairtyping drying without touching it thing. Well, no. It kind of looks like 2a, but I'm not sure. I keep staring at the visual guide pages for 1b, 1c, and 2a but I don't see my texture at all really.

Do people with 2a get as straight as I do just by brushing? After taking pics I brushed out, and now my hair looks like my signature, but with a few more waves.

Well, let's show you my pic, eh? I resized it in the post, but it keeps showing fullsize in the preview. So hopefully it will turn out all right.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3510&pictureid=49019

If I am indeed an official wavy, what can I do to keep that wave but not look so messy?

teela1978
August 27th, 2009, 10:19 PM
I'd call that 2a. Keeping 2a waves wavey while not looking messy is kinda hard. I haven't figured that one out yet, so I usually comb out while damp and just go more straightish.

twilight_faerie
August 27th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Do people with 2a get as straight as I do just by brushing? After taking pics I brushed out, and now my hair looks like my signature, but with a few more waves.

Yes! My hair becomes 1c or 1b after I comb it.

If I am indeed an official wavy, what can I do to keep that wave but not look so messy?

You could try spraying it with anti-frizz and finger-combing it. Finger-combing usually preserves my waves pretty well. Alternately, you can put some aloe vera gel in your hair when it's damp and scrunch to bring out your waves. That's what I usually do.

Lilli
August 28th, 2009, 07:23 AM
I think your waves look pretty and not messy. But getting them to stay neat is going to require more work than just combing them straight, so maybe you want to reserve the wavy for special occasions? Or, try shampoo bars - I don't like the way they make my hair feel but they do bring out the wave.

marikamt
August 28th, 2009, 07:27 AM
I am in the same exact boat as you... in fact just changed my hair type in my siggy.... as I take better care of my hair, it is becoming wavier....
I am trying to go Sulfate/ cone free this month and see if that helps...... for some reason I think the moisture makes my hair wavier (no drying SLS) but the cones weigh it down..... I really noticed the waves after I clarified (no follow up condish that day since it is all coney). I now own the SLS/Cone free product and am going to see what happens....
Personally, I just quit brushing too.

Anje
August 28th, 2009, 07:58 AM
I think I'd call it 1c. Mine's just a smidge wavier, but it goes pretty straight after brushing. I don't really worry about getting the texture right, so long as it's reasonably smooth. It spends most of its time in updos or braids anyway.