PDA

View Full Version : How often do you wash/clean your combs, brushes and other accessories?

chotee
August 27th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Hi all,

I have heard many times that it is good to wash your combs, brushes etc every week and other acc every fortnight or so but i am really lazy about it and always forget to wash them. Then one day, i realize that and wash it. How about you all? Do you really wash it every week. After washing i place them in the sun for a while too. Especially for heavy oil, henna users, washing becomes really critical as the combs can get seriously clogged with dirt and grime....thanks

Katrina
August 28th, 2009, 04:11 AM
I wash my combs twice a week because I wash my hair twice a week. I always precondition with coconut oil and Tigi Moisture Maniac conditioner, so one of my combs (the wooden one) becomes quite greasy. It has to be washed before I comb after washing my hair.

Schnail
August 28th, 2009, 04:33 AM
I wash my comb about once a month... or when I remember. Usually I remember when I notice all the dirt/oil build up on my comb or when I've found my brush/comb after it mysteriously goes missing due to little sisters losing theirs and subsequently requiring the use (and misplacement) of my own :rolleyes:.

Samitra
August 28th, 2009, 04:34 AM
I wash it when I feel that it's needed. My plastic comb is in the shower, so it's easy to put some shampoo on it and rinse.

I use an old (but clean) towel to wipe the wooden comb once in a while. It gets oily (sweet almond oil), but if I wipe off the excess oil, the comb will suck up the rest. I did wash it with shampoo once, after a flatmate used it to comb the hair on his (sweaty and covered in sun block) chest and belly.

Copasetic
August 28th, 2009, 08:13 AM
I pretty much only comb my hair in the shower. Once I am through combing I will rinse the comb under the shower head. Other than that I don't really wash my comb. I think I have shampooed it like 3 times since I have had it.

SimplyViki
August 28th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Never. :o :oops: :run:

Fractalsofhair
August 28th, 2009, 08:40 AM
I wash my brushes about once a month to clean out the hair. I wash my combs... Never, but they're plastic and used in the shower for the most part.

freznow
August 28th, 2009, 08:46 AM
I use an old toothbrush on my horn comb when I notice it's getting a little icky. As for other things, I typically remember about every 6 months to oil my hair toys and stuff like that...

Carolyn
August 28th, 2009, 08:52 AM
I clean them only if they look visibly dirty :shrug: If I can't see dirt and grime, it's not there.

thankyousir74
August 28th, 2009, 09:10 AM
My brush needs it but I have no idea how, so now I just don't use it and let it accumulate even more dust :lol:

My comb... it *looks* clean. And I know that's something because the seamed comb I used to have quickly accumulated a bunch of nasty gunk (old sebum?) very quickly and I also, stopped using that one (I got a horn comb, that's mostly the reason why I stopped using it)

vampodrama
August 28th, 2009, 09:24 AM
I clean them only if they look visibly dirty :shrug: If I can't see dirt and grime, it's not there.

Same here. I don't own any brushes (well one BBB but I don't use it) and only two plastic combs. One of them is (stupidly) white so that one gets washed quite often - I carry it in my bag so it gets pretty disgusting pretty fast. The other one is dark blue so the grime isn't that visible on this one.

Hair toys... I have never cleaned in my entire life.

Peter
August 28th, 2009, 09:27 AM
I rinse my plastic comb with water a few times a month, probably. I don't keep track. I rarely shampoo it... maybe every 3 months or so? Occasionally I'll also take a nail file and scrape off the gunk that's accumulated on its teeth.

I have a wooden comb too, which I don't use a whole lot. I never clean it. :D

prettigurl
August 28th, 2009, 09:48 AM
I wash my combs and silk scarves every other week. I wash my hair much more often, but since I only detangle my hair every other day the comb doesn't ever get visibly dirty.

AJoifulNoise
August 28th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Only when they look dirty. I've never cleaned my brush (I think I've had it a year), but for the most part I use it on clean hair only. And, even then it is only used to smoothing back hair into an updo.

My horn comb gets kinda grimy from gels, oils, etc. I just sat down and properly cleaned it for the first time about 3 weeks ago. I scrapped off the tines with q-tips. Then I rubbed it down with coconut oil and wiped off the excess. My goodness did it gleam! It looked better than it ever has, even when it was new.

windinherhair
August 28th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Never. :o :oops: :run:

Oh good, then I don't feel so bad. Me either. :confused: I haven't seen the need so far. I've had my first wooden comb for a few months now.

Jinx2234
August 28th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Typically I wash my comb each time I wash my hair since I comb my hair in the shower and it's really easy to wash off the comb after using it while the conditioner is soaking into my hair

Eden Iris
August 28th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Another in the "never" club. When I think about it, which isn't often, I rub the wooden comb and forks with whatever oil is left on my hands.

HoneyDrop
August 28th, 2009, 04:44 PM
About once a month I think, but i sometimes forget about it for a few months

Arashi
August 28th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Never... :confused:
I've never felt the need, because I've never noticed my plastic combs appear dirty or grimy.
Is there something about wooden combs that are more likely to attract 'gunk'?

Addy
August 28th, 2009, 06:47 PM
I don't wash my combs either.

GlassEyes
August 28th, 2009, 07:35 PM
I clean them if I get them overly soaked in oil, but that's about it. Without that, I'd be in the 'very rarely' category.

However, this does raise the question...how the hell do you clean hairtoys? Metal ones are easy--but like, bone and ficcares and stuff? o-o And then there's dymondwood. Oy.

chotee
August 28th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Thank you so much everybody....its gr8 to know all your opinions.

I would still like to wash my combs every week though as i oil my hair heavy.

Glasseyes: I totally understand what you mean like the exotic hair toys needn't be washed as they are not used frequently. I meant the scrunchies or the wooden sticks which we use so frequently...btw, i don't wash them at all but being a henna user i am worried if the color of the sticks vary with use and if not washed frequently i might lose some of my favorite sticks...

Henrietta
August 15th, 2010, 10:59 AM
I wash my comb after every combing with coconut oil which means every 3 days. Brush- maybe once a month, to remove sebum and dust. Also I wash my hair elastics from time to time... once a year? I have so many of them that I use every single one quite rare, so they are not dirty:D

Othala
August 15th, 2010, 02:42 PM
I wash my combs every time I wash my hair which is twice a week. If they look dusty in the interim, they get washed too. I use castile soap and a nail scrubber to clean them.

My brush, which has wood bristles, does not seem to hold dust like the combs do. It gets cleaned of hair every day after being used, but only gets a soapy wash when it appears dirty which has been once in the year or so I have been using it.