PDA

View Full Version : Oh, is that how you really feel? :(

Quixii
August 27th, 2009, 05:53 PM
So today I was talking to my friend and somehow I brought up TLHC (here). I mentioned how people with like knee length hair talk about how they take care of their hair, and people with curly hair take care of that, and people with straight hair, and people with wavy hair, and all their different methods. I figured she would think it's cool, as I do, since she has around BSL+ hair. But no, she looked at me and was like, "Wouldn't it be easier to just cut it off?" shudder: Clearly she didn't understand that this was a very happy way of discussing what worked and what didn't, and not complaining about how difficult it was (mostly :p ). Sigh.
So, in hopes of not making this purely a mini-rant thread - there's so many threads about people that insult you or people about their thread. But has there ever been anyone you'd thought would understand and then some how.. not?

redneckprincess
August 27th, 2009, 06:07 PM
my husband....he is the one who asked my to grow my hair long and stop coloring it.
I swear he thinks I can make it happen OVERNIGHT. :(

marikamt
August 27th, 2009, 06:09 PM
I know how you feel.... I had a girl who I worked w/ who told me I had pretty hair- up until that point, I really thought I did NOT have great hair... she was actually my inspiration to grow it out, every time she saw me she would oooh and ahhh...so I joined LHC and was REALLY excited...
DH wants me to have long hair but doesn't understand all the "stuff" I have to do to keep it healthy and growing well..... okay, can deal w/ that.... would like a little hair happiness though....
Then, I am at work the other day and a family member of one of my patients came in ... obviously VERY long, but up... got up the nerve to go talk "hair" w/ her...... while she was very sweet (and took down her gorgeous classic length hair for me to look at), looked at me like I was nuts when I tried explaining LHC to her... she was kind of like "um- mine just grows"...
I am getting no hair love! :(

Silver & Gold
August 27th, 2009, 06:09 PM
my husband....he is the one who asked my to grow my hair long and stop coloring it.
I swear he thinks I can make it happen OVERNIGHT. :(

What?!? You can't? Well, at least now I don't feel so alone. :D

Sheltie_Momma
August 27th, 2009, 07:17 PM
I tried to explain in the lunchroom at work about that whole thing with the bird in Canada and the people that abandoned it and then how that LHC woman found it in the dumpster and it wasn't dead after all and like, no one believed me about it so I just went back to eating my sandwich.

nowxisxforever
August 27th, 2009, 07:44 PM
I tried to explain in the lunchroom at work about that whole thing with the bird in Canada and the people that abandoned it and then how that LHC woman found it in the dumpster and it wasn't dead after all and like, no one believed me about it so I just went back to eating my sandwich.

Awww... yeah. Lara and Phoenix! :)

irishcurls
August 27th, 2009, 07:58 PM
I an so excited because I have been looking around enough and reading enough and posting enough I actually know the phoenix story!! I usually have no clue what they are talking about. Well my boyfriend wants me to grow out my hair but what he really meant was he wanted me to have it the same length as his moms which is apl. Not happening. I am going to my waist. He really really does try to be supportive. He gives me scalp massages all of the time.

Sheltie_Momma
August 27th, 2009, 08:07 PM
I an so excited because I have been looking around enough and reading enough and posting enough I actually know the phoenix story!! I usually have no clue what they are talking about. Well my boyfriend wants me to grow out my hair but what he really meant was he wanted me to have it the same length as his moms which is apl. Not happening. I am going to my waist. He really really does try to be supportive. He gives me scalp massages all of the time.

OOH - you are so lucky...scalp massages are the best!

nowxisxforever
August 27th, 2009, 08:30 PM
OOH - you are so lucky...scalp massages are the best!

Oh, yes, very lucky!!

RancheroTheBee
August 27th, 2009, 10:43 PM
I know a lot of people like this. I think the only person who cares as much about my hair as I do is my boyfriend, and he's super supportive about everything, like my decision to make an apple pie.

I tried explaining to this one girl at work about the LHC. She's just a little past shoulder, with super fine, i-thickness hair full of splits. She was complaining that it wouldn't grow, but she irons it every day. She never ended up checking out the forum, but it's really her loss.

That said, I would have been really grateful to have found this website years ago. It would have saved me a lot of grief. I wish someone had told me about it!

vampodrama
August 28th, 2009, 01:09 AM
Oh yeah, growing my hair and taking good care of it sometimes makes me feel like I'm the ultimate anarchist or whatever. I don't go around talking to people about my hair care, but occasionally I partake in hair-related conversations. The mere facts that I don't scrub my hair length with shampoo every day and that I don't use a blow dryer or that I don't use super-expensive salon products is enough for people to think I'm gross and weird and don't "respect myself enough to take good care of myself".

And yes, I have gotten the comments "you want to grow your hair long? But WHY??? It's pointless, long hair is so boring and unimaginative!"

Nope, no hair love in real life!

lindaton
August 28th, 2009, 01:34 AM
My best friend has calf length hair and she just dont get LHC either.

Syaoransbear
August 28th, 2009, 02:07 AM
When I was in the car with two of my friends, I felt the ends of my one friend's hair who has APL hair. I said, "Oh wow, your hair feels so healthy!"

She replied with, "Really? I don't do anything to it at all."

Before I could comment about how that was the reason why it was so healthy, my other friend whipped her head around and said, "Oh my god, really? You don't even BLOWDRY?!?!" as if blowdrying was as necessary to life as eating or breathing. I didn't say anything, especially about how I don't even shampoo. She has BSL+ hair and I was so sure she'd know enough about hair health that she'd make the same comment as I was about to.

I await the day her hair starts splitting and breaking off faster than it can grow.

noelgirl
August 28th, 2009, 05:17 AM
Oh yeah, growing my hair and taking good care of it sometimes makes me feel like I'm the ultimate anarchist or whatever. I don't go around talking to people about my hair care, but occasionally I partake in hair-related conversations. The mere facts that I don't scrub my hair length with shampoo every day and that I don't use a blow dryer or that I don't use super-expensive salon products is enough for people to think I'm gross and weird and don't "respect myself enough to take good care of myself".

Because obviously, nothing says self-respect like strict adherence to a one-size-fits-all grooming regimen :rolleyes: I just love when people look at the surface and know exactly what I'm thinking. Like Oprah and her brigade of armchair psychologists.

Sarahmoon
August 28th, 2009, 05:28 AM
Heh, yes. I talked to a girl with beautiful healthy looking hip length hair and it appeared she washes and blowdries it every day and leaves it down all the time.

Now that is unfair :p

violetka
August 28th, 2009, 05:50 AM
Well...what can I say. I have always been the skinny one with the short hair and my sister has always been the plump one with the long hair. I have never cared about her hair much though, but now I started noticing that it is very long an I thought it will be a bonding thing.

Now that I have gained weight and hair I try to talk to have nice sister conversations regarding hair, but all I get is "You are crazy with this hair stuff, I must be adopted".

I guess I can be obsessive about my hobbies, but where is her understanding? It is easy for her - she already has the hair. By the way my sister is the one, who has always told me that I have nice strong hair and I should grow it out.

rach
August 28th, 2009, 06:12 AM
i have a friend who is trying to grow out her hair for her wedding (wants waist length - she at LBSL at the moment) and when on about not brushing her length and how that has helped massively and not rubbing your hair in all directions when wet to dry. then i added on LHC that cutting out heat and back combing could also be beneficial and that there a healthier methods to get black shades in her hair to cover grays (only reason she dyes to her natural shade) and that i could show her a few articles on these - and she looked at me like i was crazy....
since then i've just kept knowledge quiet. i think i was crushing her wiseness.

i don't understand sometimes .

Alun
August 28th, 2009, 06:50 AM
Because obviously, nothing says self-respect like strict adherence to a one-size-fits-all grooming regimen :rolleyes: I just love when people look at the surface and know exactly what I'm thinking. Like Oprah and her brigade of armchair psychologists.

Well, you know Dr. Phil is on TV because his practice failed. Probably Oprah's tame shrinks fall into the same category. Couldn't make it in RL, so they are on TV.

marikamt
August 28th, 2009, 07:18 AM

I am laughing so hard...... I feel that way about ALL of those shows (Oprah, What not to wear, etc)...... They all look exactly the same!!

Did have a cute moment yesterday thought... was at a continuing education class, one of my coworkers and I were talking hair (I had oiled REALLY heavily and hid it in a sock bun, then they all wanted to see how I did my bun :lol:).... Now she has a chin length bob (that is cute on her), obviously irons it daily, dyed it black w/ blonde and red highlights- but then she breaks out with how she only washes avery 3 days at most cause it is so much better for her hair (giggle, giggle)

Sheltie_Momma
August 28th, 2009, 08:30 AM
i have a friend who is trying to grow out her hair for her wedding (wants waist length - she at LBSL at the moment) and when on about not brushing her length and how that has helped massively and not rubbing your hair in all directions when wet to dry. then i added on LHC that cutting out heat and back combing could also be beneficial and that there a healthier methods to get black shades in her hair to cover grays (only reason she dyes to her natural shade) and that i could show her a few articles on these - and she looked at me like i was crazy....
since then i've just kept knowledge quiet. i think i was crushing her wiseness.

i don't understand sometimes .

Crushing people's wiseness, this cracked me up. So very true.

adiapalic
August 28th, 2009, 08:42 AM
So today I was talking to my friend and somehow I brought up TLHC (here). I mentioned how people with like knee length hair talk about how they take care of their hair, and people with curly hair take care of that, and people with straight hair, and people with wavy hair, and all their different methods. I figured she would think it's cool, as I do, since she has around BSL+ hair. But no, she looked at me and was like, "Wouldn't it be easier to just cut it off?" shudder: Clearly she didn't understand that this was a very happy way of discussing what worked and what didn't, and not complaining about how difficult it was (mostly :p ). Sigh.
So, in hopes of not making this purely a mini-rant thread - there's so many threads about people that insult you or people about their thread. But has there ever been anyone you'd thought would understand and then some how.. not?

I think the only people who have heard me mention this thread are my immediate family. I tried telling my sister and mama different ways of hair washing, etc. They are just really not interested!

I think you were just sharing with your friend the diversity of hair needs withe each type of hair. I know for a fact that before I came here, I only knew Shampoo /Rinse/Condition/Rinse, and brush with a regular plastic brush. That's sort of the universal "knowledge" of hair care. Straight hairs, and slightly wavy hairs can sometimes get away with it. But people with fragile curls usually can't, and seem to fall prey to the straight iron. They simply don't know of the wonderful alternatives that can really help their curls look good.

Okay, that was a silly bunch of babbling! :o but I think it made some sense?

heidihug
August 28th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Oh yeah, growing my hair and taking good care of it sometimes makes me feel like I'm the ultimate anarchist or whatever...Nope, no hair love in real life!
I know. <sigh> Anytime I talk about hair stuff I get the glazed-over look, so I generally don't. I really do feel like a secret crazy hair rebel some days when I am putting my hair up.

The only people who really seem to appreciate it are certain elderly ladies (who often mention that their mothers had long hair) and little girls. And my sister. She likes to imitate what I do, which is weirdly flattering, as she's my older sister.

vampodrama
August 28th, 2009, 09:20 AM
I know. <sigh> Anytime I talk about hair stuff I get the glazed-over look, so I generally don't. I really do feel like a secret crazy hair rebel some days when I am putting my hair up.

The only people who really seem to appreciate it are certain elderly ladies (who often mention that their mothers had long hair) and little girls. And my sister. She likes to imitate what I do, which is weirdly flattering, as she's my older sister.

What's even weirder is that the people who have known me for many years know me as a short-haired person (as I was up until now, my entire pre-LHC life), and occasionally they go into the whole sighing thing "I can't believe your hair has gotten so LONG, what do you do with it?" My answer to this is a laconic "Nothing, it just grows" these days, because I am no longer interested in having hair talks in real life. Usually this reply doesn't really cut it, because they go "Oh but it must take you such massive amount of time and money and all, how can you find the time and energy for all this?" Mind you, this is no sarcasm - most people really do believe that having long hair is incredibly difficult and time consuming. Of course, they seem to think that I wash it every day, blow dry it every day, flatiron it every day, use a million products etc... now THIS would indeed take a lot of time and money. And they are disappointed (no joke) when I describe my hair care regime in a few short dry words. It always baffles me. They ask the question with this sadistic gleam in their eyes, expecting me to start moaning about the absolute agony and horror of having "such long hair" and they are honestly disappointed when I say I literally do nothing to my hair, apart from washing it twice a week. And that's the part where they decide I'm a gross weirdo. Of course that also prohibits them from saying anything nice about my hair any more, because apparently it's no longer considered pretty or nice....

People are weird. Very weird.

Isilme
August 28th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Oh, I know how hard it is, I have a frind who wants to have long hair. But she always dyes it, uses a flatiron and wear it in a super tight high ponytail. But she isn't interested in joining here *sigh*
Next time someone asks me how I get my hair to grow I'm going to answer the question with "I eat nuclear waste, it's a good fertilizer" (only if it's someone I know though)

thankyousir74
August 28th, 2009, 10:43 AM
while she was very sweet (and took down her gorgeous classic length hair for me to look at), looked at me like I was nuts when I tried explaining LHC to her... she was kind of like "um- mine just grows"...
I am getting no hair love! :(

The "mine just grows" response is a little frustrating for me, as there's so many girls around here that seem to always have had hip length hair, so it strikes them as odd that I am *actively* growing it out

skay
August 28th, 2009, 11:01 AM
While talking about hobbies at work, someone brought up that one of my hobbies was growing my hair, etc. (I oddly enough tell people this without thinking about it much ;) ).

One of the guys looked a little confused :confused: and responded:

"I grow my hair, but don't go on a forum?..."

The 1st guy replied back:

"Yeah, but she's growing it ...professionally ...(so to speak)..."

The other guy still look confused :confused: , so another guy (who is gay) supportively replied:

"It's like being gay/transgendered/etc. You don't have to understand it. Just accept it." :ponder: :D

At this point, my mind drifted and I thought it was a little interesting that it got the "You don't have to understand it, just accept it comment." :D

marikamt
August 28th, 2009, 11:07 AM
While talking about hobbies at work, someone brought up that one of my hobbies was growing my hair, etc. (I oddly enough tell people this without thinking about it much ;) ).

"I grow my hair, but don't go on a forum?..." http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/images/smilies/icon_rolleyes.gif

The other guy still look confused :confused: , so another guy (who is gay) supportively replied:

"It's like being gay/transgendered/etc. You don't have to understand it. Just accept it." :ponder: :D

At this point, my mind drifted and I thought it was a little interesting that it got the "You don't have to understand it, just accept it comment." :D

OMG! that is hysterical... too cute!

spidermom
August 28th, 2009, 11:12 AM
I once made a suggestion to my DD about her hair, and she snapped "I have much more important things to think about than my hair!"

There are more important things? (haha)

Raponsje
August 28th, 2009, 11:57 AM
I am just fresh in the LHC and already wise enough not to mention it to the unworthy;). I don't really know anybody who gets excited about hairsticks or a newly discovered bun. The times I tried to share, the receiving party just seems to tune out. I am a lonely grower :D

SHELIAANN1969
August 28th, 2009, 12:05 PM

"I grow my hair, but don't go on a forum?..."

I love that! I will have to start using this phrase ASAP! :flower:

I once made a suggestion to my DD about her hair, and she snapped )"I have much more important things to think about than my hair!"

There are more important things? (haha

:rollin: :rollin: :rollin: That is classic! I needed the giggle, thanks so much, tee hee.

vampodrama
August 28th, 2009, 03:05 PM
There are more important things? (haha)

What, like world peace? Pfft, gimme a break!:rolleyes:

:eyebrows:

pepperminttea
August 28th, 2009, 04:25 PM
I figured she would think it's cool, as I do, since she has around BSL+ hair. But no, she looked at me and was like, "Wouldn't it be easier to just cut it off?" shudder:

I get the same! Or the 'are you going to donate it?' comments... :doh: Is growing it for the love of having long hair just considered morally wrong at the moment?

Bellona
August 28th, 2009, 07:28 PM
My friends seem to change their minds-- when I had almost waist length hair they'd say it looked "unkempt" if it was down and "boring" if it was up. Now that I got it cut, they say why did you cut it so short you had such long hair? hahaha. I'm growing for me now :)

elaineflowers
August 29th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Sometimes it does feel like the people who want the long hair the most are those who have the hardest time growing it. I know friends and family who can grow hair to their bums but hate it and continually cut it shorter, just to tease me as it grows past mine despite my efforts to grow. They think I am weird for joining the LHC and love to compare their thick, long hair to my fine, flyaway non-growing hair...... :-(

Wicked Princess
August 29th, 2009, 11:13 PM
My fiance and family have been very supportive of my having and caring for long hair - they don't even think that I'm weird! For this I am very grateful. If I mention that I intend to grow my hair even longer to people outside of this group, though, people seem to think that it's really peculiar.

They do not have a strong reaction to it, thankfully. I think this is because I live in a very diverse area, and it is not uncommon to see Indian and Asian women with hair between hip and classic length!

EtherealOde
August 30th, 2009, 12:11 AM
I talked to my oldest daughter about the changes I had made to my hair care routine, and that I was growing it out. She laughed, and said "You aren't one of those no-poo idiots now are you???" and all I could say was "Yes, I am. And my hair looks better for it too." The most annoying thing was that just before I told her about the changes to my routine, she had complimented me on how nice my hair looked and how long it had gotten. I guess that all went away as soon as I became one of those 'no-poo idiots' in her mind, didn't it. piffle
:doh:

going gray
August 30th, 2009, 01:02 PM
I've decided I'm DONE talking about my hair to family & so called friends. Nobody wants to hear it except my hair dresser. Lucky me, but I found a lovely woman who actually gets it!

"I THANK YOU AGAIN LHC FOR ALL THE HELP & SUPPORT I'VE BEEN GIVEN DURING THE PAST & PRESENT!"

getoffmyskittle
August 30th, 2009, 01:09 PM
I must be really lucky... nobody ever tells me negative stuff about my hair. My friends compliment it a lot. I've gotten two of my friends to try henna, and two (not the same two) to try coconut oil. And my sister joined LHC... and my mom started oiling and hennaing too (not counted previously).

Lucky or discerning. :lol:

Quixii
August 30th, 2009, 01:14 PM
[Hehe, has been stalking this thread.]

I'd just like to add that my family is very supportive of my growing my hair. My mom's hair is about the same length as mine. They're a little more hesitant about me wanting to try out different methods that I've read about here - "You want to put honey on your head?" "No cones? What?" And of course the weird looks when I went to sleep with a pillow case on my head the other day. But they keep the negative comments to a minimum.
My friends seem to be like many of yours. They'll compliment me on how nice my hair looks, but then not to long ago they were asking if I were to cut it for Locks of Love. Lately I've been mentioning how I stopped brushing it, and I definitely get the weird looks. I do have one friend that's on the border of understanding - she has BSL-Waist hair, and was very excited showing me a bun she'd figured out. She doesn't want to join here, though, as she doesn't want more sites to spend her time with on the internet, but she'll let me babble about trying new things. :)