PDA

View Full Version : My hairs gone staticy fro on me!

Ruvie
August 27th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Whenever I let it air dry and comb or brush it, it looks like I've gone down a slide! (We all know what tunnel slides do to hair :P ) I've tried wetting my hands and smoothing my hair but it still looks like someone rubbed a balloon on it! Any tips?

GlassEyes
August 27th, 2009, 01:44 PM
I believe this is a common problem for fine and straight-ish haired people.

I think, but I'm not sure, that some found some relief from citric acid/acidic rinses, and maybe shampoo bars, but I wasn't really paying strict attention. It doesn't, as you can tell, apply much to me. xD;

Shorty89
August 27th, 2009, 02:25 PM
I used to get static-y hair all the time. I found that switching to CO, oiling and a wooden comb helped me. For me cones also increased the staticy-ness of my hair so going cone free also helped.

Elphie
August 27th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Temporary solutions (which may or may not be hair friendly) but will work in a pinch:

-Static guard, spray a small amount on your comb/brush and go over your hair. It does say it can be used this way on the bottle, I just will not claim that it's the best thing for your hair. I'm sure it's not. It will work though.

- Dryer sheet. A few swipes over your hair will eliminate the static.

Anje
August 27th, 2009, 03:02 PM
More moisture seems to be a good long-term fix. CO is great if it works for you. I've found that cold water as a final rinse also seems to automatically make the hair behave better, FWIW. Finally, I know a lot of people who have luck bunning their hair when it's still a little damp, even for 20 minutes or so. Seems to help it all lie together, though it hasn't worked for me personally.

Is it possible that you're wavier than 1a/1b? Some people have no idea that they have quite wavy hair, which tends to turn into puff when it gets brushed out dry.

Canarygirl
August 27th, 2009, 03:59 PM
I'm a fine-haired wavy and poofy hair is an issue for me when I air dry. The best solution for me is using a couple of products by Jessicurl: "Too Shea" conditioner for the final stage of CO, and then a dab of an anti-static formulation she has called "Confident coils" I smoothe that one through wet hair (little goes a long way). This is an effective combination for me, meaning I can air dry and not look like a puff ball when I comb my hair later.

I second the recommendation to use either a wooden, horn, or "bakelite" comb as they don't promote static

Ice~Cold~Wind
August 27th, 2009, 04:09 PM
I always have this problem, but I have very fine, wavy hair and it varies from day to day. I use olive oil(just a little) on my hair in the shower, sort of like a deep treatment. I rinse it out and after it's dry, it seems to be less frizzy, even if I brush it. I usually have to throw my hair in a bun in the morning before school(wet or dry) and that also seems to help control the frizz. The bun idea sounds like it may work.:)