PDA

View Full Version : Could leaving conditioner in overnight be damaging?

juliaxena
August 27th, 2009, 11:26 AM
In the morning I have to go to work at 6 every day. I can never wash my hair in the morning because it would take much time and I would sleep even less. I was thinking I could wash my hair in the evening and put conditioner on and cover it with a plastic bag, rinse it out in the morning and just blow dry it ( I always blow dry). Can all that time the conditioner will be in be damaging for hair?

twilight_faerie
August 27th, 2009, 11:33 AM
I doubt it. I've slept with SMT's on overnight and never found any damage afterward.

Fillette
August 27th, 2009, 12:36 PM
I don't think the conditioner would be damaging. I use some of my regular conditioner as a leave-in so I always have some conditioner in my hair.

SimplyViki
August 27th, 2009, 12:42 PM
You're blow-drying your hair every day, yet you are worried about damage from conditioner? :confused: I would give advice there, but I'm sure you've seen all the advice regarding heat-styling here already.

As for the conditioner, I know of no reason why it would be damaging. If anything, your hair could probably use the extra pampering.

juliaxena
August 27th, 2009, 01:05 PM
I don't blow dry every day because I don't wash my hair every day (I wanted to but I don't) and I do use cool setting since forever. Blow drying this way never ever hurt my hair. Was just worried if extra moisture can make hair weak. For example my nails split right up when they are wet. So I was worriedd if after extended wet time same thing could happen to my hair.

SimplyViki
August 27th, 2009, 01:16 PM
I don't blow dry every day because I don't wash my hair every day (I wanted to but I don't) and I do use cool setting since forever. Blow drying this way never ever hurt my hair. Was just worried if extra moisture can make hair weak. For example my nails split right up when they are wet. So I was worriedd if after extended wet time same thing could happen to my hair.
Ah! I see. :)

Well, in that perspective, you might be onto something, actually, as hair is at its weakest when wet. That's why it's good advice to handle it delicately while washing it.

Now as far as potential damage... :ponder: If it's inside of a cap/container of some kind, I would imagine that it'd be relatively shielded from friction or other mechanically damaging agents. So the benefits of the deep conditioning treatment (which is really essentially what it'd be) probably outweigh the potential damage.

In my completely unprofessional, unlicensed opinion. :cheese:

GlassEyes
August 27th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Nah, I've done it before, and my hair is fine.

However, why don't yo just wash it in the evenings, comb it, go to sleep, then blow dry it if it's still damp and/or comb it in the morning? :confused: If I had your hairtype, that's what I'd do (probably minus the blowdrying--I'm too lazy). If it's tangling that's an isse, youu cold always caterpillar or braid it?

juliaxena
August 27th, 2009, 01:55 PM
That's exactly it, my hair tangles like mad when its wet and has no conditioner on. and due to my current lenght i can't put it into updos.

GlassEyes
August 27th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Have you tried a leave-in, or even leaving in some of your conditioner straight in, and not rinsing it? Or oil, even?

But, to again answer your question, yes, it's fine. I would worry about your comofrt level though--I can sleep with wet hair, but hair wrapped in something always makes me sleep worse. xD;

Fractalsofhair
August 27th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Just a suggestion, as opposed to blowdrying, try braiding it? Your current length in your picture could be braided a few times. I can braid my hair into small braids and it's a pixie! (Several braids.)

In regards to the conditioner, I doubt it's that harmful. I would suggest putting it into a cap since conditioner would get all over the pillowcase and bug me personally. But wouldn't the time in the morning take quite a while? I've had that experience with my hair. What about just letting your hair airdry?

Belledandy
August 27th, 2009, 03:05 PM
When I used to leave conditioner on for long periods of time I only noticed a problem when I was using a protein-heavy conditioner. (The ends got scratchy and brittle) Using oils and leave in should be fine.

JamieLeigh
August 27th, 2009, 03:20 PM
You might have to take more time to make sure it's completely rinsed out, or you might end up with a greasy look to your hair. But I can't think of any damage that you might get from it. :)

Komodia
August 27th, 2009, 07:57 PM
in my experience some of them do damage hair.. as well as some "wash after 5 minutes" treatments.

CavyQueen
August 27th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Yes, it can be especially if it is a reconstructor with a large amount of proteins. Proteins, when used correctly, strenghten the hair. However, if used excessively, they can cause breakage and dry the hair out. Your best bet is to read the label to see if the conditioner contains many proteins. It it does, I don't recommend sleeping with it. If you want to use a conditioner overnight, choose one with only moisturizing properties. You can also oil overnight. I hope this helps.

CaityBear
August 27th, 2009, 10:30 PM
I doubt the conditioner is harmful.

I make my own leave-in conditioner with my regular conditioner and so I always have conditioner in my hair to some extent. No damage done so far at least.

verene
August 27th, 2009, 10:50 PM
If you do it frequently maybe, but I have left conditioner in from time to time for long stretches of time (12+ hours) with no damage. If anything it makes my hair extra soft.

82exoticbeauty
August 28th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Nope! I sometimes leave a leave in conditioner to my hair at night (only before bed) if I have been out outside where the sun is shining on my hair a bit longer! I only do that if I'm out very long outside and need a break for my hair at night! The conditioner won't damage the hair! :)

ole gray mare
August 28th, 2009, 03:08 PM
I would never have time to wash my hair in the morning, so I wash my hair and night and braid it. By the next morning, it's only a bit damp. And because it's been braided overnight while drying, it's quite soft. Just a thought. Even if your hair isn't very long, you could french braid it for overnight.

Buddaphlyy
August 28th, 2009, 04:06 PM
I've slept in conditioner countless times (I actually have to now as I'm missing my heat cap and it's the only way I can deep condition) and no harm every came to my hair.

If you're worried about too much moisture though, maybe try a light protein treatment once a month to keep things balanced.

Sissy
August 28th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Yes, it can be especially if it is a reconstructor with a large amount of proteins. Proteins, when used correctly, strenghten the hair. However, if used excessively, they can cause breakage and dry the hair out. Your best bet is to read the label to see if the conditioner contains many proteins. It it does, I don't recommend sleeping with it. If you want to use a conditioner overnight, choose one with only moisturizing properties. You can also oil overnight. I hope this helps.

Yes, this is true. I was going to caution you against using protein conditioners for overnight treatments. There actually is a reason why some products say to leave in 5 minutes or so. Choose one that has no protein and you should be OK.