PDA

View Full Version : Whats my hair type?

growitforjesus
August 27th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Hi,everyone
I'm not sure i understand how to classify my hair type. Can anyone help me? Thank you so much.

thankyousir74
August 27th, 2009, 09:46 AM
I'd be more than happy to help!

You just need a picture of your hair :D

twilight_faerie
August 27th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Take a picture of your hair after washing and airdrying it. Don't comb or brush it as it's drying.

Spike
August 27th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Yup, a picture would help. Washed, air-dried, no combing or other treatment. (I know, I know. But that's the only way to really see the texture and definition in your hair. We promise you can delete it later.)

Other than that, it's just a matter of deciding between variables. When you've washed and air dried, is your hair string straight? You're a category 1 of some sort. Is it a cloud of curls? You're a 3 of some sort. Sort of wavy with defiite humps and bends? You're a 2.

Figuring out the "of some sort" is more subjective. An "a" subtype is the straighter side of the continuum, a "c" subtype is the curlier end. A 1a hairtype would have absolutely straight hair, almost as if it had been flatironed. A 1c hairtype would have straight hair with maybe a little volume waviness, but no real bends in the hair.

Repeat for coarse/medium/fine and thin (i)/average (ii)/thick (iii) ponytail circumference and there's your type. Thin is a pony of less than 2" around, average is 2-4" around, thick is over 4".

And yes, your hairtype can change as your routine changes or your hair grows. I'm a 1a at pixie, a 1c at shoulderlength, and a 1c/2a past bra strap length. Some members report adding thickness as damaged hair stops breaking before reaching pony length, or as follicles kick back in due to nutritional changes.

Roseate
August 27th, 2009, 10:46 AM
To get you started, here's a link to an explanation of the hair typing system (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=8954), and some pictures of the different hairtypes. (http://homepage.mac.com/annsofie.henriksson/hairtyping/PhotoAlbum17.html)

Welcome to LHC!