PDA

View Full Version : Any Advice For Guys With Fine Hair?

yellowchariot
August 27th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Hey To All,

My hair texture is kinda "fine" I guess that is what you would technically call it! My hairstylist told me that "You're not "thinning", because you've got a lot of hair, it's just fine textured".

Sometimes my hair looks full on top of my head, and other times you can see my scalp (as If I'm balding)! If my hair is greasy and straight, then my scalp is very visible. However, If I've got it pulled back, or in a style of some sort, then my scalp is covered. Also, if I wash it everyday, that seems to help.

I've been told that it could just be the weight of my hair and the direction it lays on my head (parting) that gives this effect, but I dunno. . . :confused: Is there any tricks, shampoo's, products, I could try out to give my hair a fuller/thicker look?! Rogaine?! :p hehe!

I normally use Garnier Fructis (volume, moisture, length) I'm open to any other recommendations, seeing as to how I know nothing of hair products at this point!

P.S. I've seen the "fine haired thread". . . however do the same principles apply to us guys, as to the ladies with fine hair, or do the guys require different products and methods?

Thank You All, and Peace Out!

GlassEyes
August 27th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Any method that can be used by women with fine hair can be used by men, I would think.

My hair is fine (I, erm, think), but it's really crly, so what I use to keep it under control is a bit different. Plus, my hair never gets greasy--even if I don't wash it every day (it just gets dry as heck), so I can't really give you any other advice. xD;

yellowchariot
August 27th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Any method that can be used by women with fine hair can be used by men, I would think.

My hair is fine (I, erm, think), but it's really crly, so what I use to keep it under control is a bit different. Plus, my hair never gets greasy--even if I don't wash it every day (it just gets dry as heck), so I can't really give you any other advice. xD;

^ LOL that's ok! But thanks for the input! :)

Fractalsofhair
August 27th, 2009, 09:33 AM
I'd say the same rules do apply to women as to men. If you have fine hair, a volumizing shampoo can make it look like you have more hair(if you have a ton of hair though, it just makes your hair go poof!). Gentle products help prevent damage, as fine hair is generally easily damaged(in my experience). I like shampoo bars personally, followed by a vinegar rinse and conditioner if I don't want my hair to poof. Since going off the pill, my hair gets greasy if I don't wash it daily, and normally it smells kinda off if I don't wash it daily.

thankyousir74
August 27th, 2009, 09:35 AM

What they said.

I bet the length of that thread is daunting (as is any type specific thread), but I know if I had read it a while back I'dve summarized it for you. But I didn't, as it's not my hairtype. (Sorry :/)

Maybe you should skim through it to see if you could find some good experiments to try.

Delila
August 27th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Mine's fine, fragile and kind of oily, so for me the best thing to do is clean my scalp well, condition my length, avoid getting conditioner on my scalp, and handle it all gently. If my scalp is happy and my hair is conditioned well enough to minimize tangles, I'm good.

yellowchariot
August 27th, 2009, 12:11 PM
I'd say the same rules do apply to women as to men. If you have fine hair, a volumizing shampoo can make it look like you have more hair(if you have a ton of hair though, it just makes your hair go poof!). Gentle products help prevent damage, as fine hair is generally easily damaged(in my experience). I like shampoo bars personally, followed by a vinegar rinse and conditioner if I don't want my hair to poof. Since going off the pill, my hair gets greasy if I don't wash it daily, and normally it smells kinda off if I don't wash it daily.

^ I don't even get a proof lol :D Though sometimes It does get just a little frizzy but not a lot.

What they said.

I bet the length of that thread is daunting (as is any type specific thread), but I know if I had read it a while back I'dve summarized it for you. But I didn't, as it's not my hairtype. (Sorry :/)

Maybe you should skim through it to see if you could find some good experiments to try.

^ Yeah I have been off and on! There is a ton of info! I was hunting for any specifics that may work for me :o

Mine's fine, fragile and kind of oily, so for me the best thing to do is clean my scalp well, condition my length, avoid getting conditioner on my scalp, and handle it all gently. If my scalp is happy and my hair is conditioned well enough to minimize tangles, I'm good.

^ I'll have to try that technique and see if I can tell any difference! Thanks!

Fethenwen
August 27th, 2009, 12:59 PM
You could try corn starch on bad days, it gives a lot of volume and sucks away the oil. I think it would look lovely in a guys hair, gives sort of a ruffled up look.

yellowchariot
August 27th, 2009, 05:16 PM
You could try corn starch on bad days, it gives a lot of volume and sucks away the oil. I think it would look lovely in a guys hair, gives sort of a ruffled up look.

^ Really? I've never heard of that before!

Komodia
August 27th, 2009, 08:28 PM
have u tried cassia? at least henna does make the hair thicker, i dont know about cassia though.. someone else would have to specify. seems like your haircolour would adapt well to it!

yellowchariot
August 27th, 2009, 08:44 PM
have u tried cassia? at least henna does make the hair thicker, i dont know about cassia though.. someone else would have to specify. seems like your haircolour would adapt well to it!

Hey,

No I haven't do you have a web link, or site I could read up on it?
Thanks!

GlassEyes
August 27th, 2009, 08:58 PM
hennaforhair.com should have some information on cassia somewhere.

yellowchariot
August 27th, 2009, 09:59 PM
hennaforhair.com should have some information on cassia somewhere.

^ Thanks, So it does make the hair thicker to a degree. . .
*ponders how I would look with reddish-orange hair :hmm:*

Themyst
August 27th, 2009, 10:04 PM
^ Thanks, So it does make the hair thicker to a degree. . .
*ponders how I would look with reddish-orange hair :hmm:*

My daughter has blond hair lighter than yours and cassia doesn't put any stain on it. If I buy cheap cassia, it'll put a nicotine colored stain on it (ew) but it is very temporary. It's out in a few washes.

Henna on the other hand will give you red or orange hair. But beware, upkeep, upkeep, upkeep. Henna doesn't fade out, it must grow out so unless you like the two-toned look, you've got to do root touch ups every 45 days or so.

yellowchariot
August 27th, 2009, 10:07 PM
My daughter has blond hair lighter than yours and cassia doesn't put any stain on it. If I buy cheap cassia, it'll put a nicotine colored stain on it (ew) but it is very temporary. It's out in a few washes.

Henna on the other hand will give you red or orange hair. But beware, upkeep, upkeep, upkeep. Henna doesn't fade out, it must grow out so unless you like the two-toned look, you've got to do root touch ups every 45 days or so.

Ah I see! I don't think orange would go too good for me IMO! :o
But hey. . . It was a good idea! :cheese: