PDA

View Full Version : People who dye their own hair blonde...

MAO
August 26th, 2009, 11:48 PM
After it has been stripped of henna....TWICE:rolleyes:. Yeah, yeah, I know, I've been very VERY naughty to my hair lately, SIGHHHH. Anywho, as I just stated, my hair has been stripped twice to remove henna and my hairdresser laid level 7 blonde over the top of that. My hair is naturally level 5 brown and I think the contrast between the blonde and my roots is hideous and I am going to touch up my roots MYSELF with a level 6 dark blonde and the rest of my hair to cover up the brassiness that is the henna that won't DIE. Anyways, my question is how long should I leave the color on my roots and how long on the rest of my hair? Anybody have experience with this without frying their hair off? Please don't suggest going to the hairdresser, I can no longer afford it...TIA :flowers:

Natalia
August 27th, 2009, 12:21 AM
Hmm i wish i could help. Ive never heard of how leftoer henna affects dye results. My SIL is a heairdresser i doubt she has come across this but iw ill ask for you. Might take her a while toget back though. General advice for already chemically dyed hair is to apply to roots for 10 minutes short of the reccomended time then pull through and let sit the remainign ten. Not sure how this will work with the henna though....

As for the brassinesss i would reccomend trying some rinses or colored SMT's if your worried about frying them anymore. I use a good bit of molassas in my SMT in place of honey :). Maybe that would work? If you dont like it a good shampoo or a few CO's would get rid of it. Gook luck!

ETA: I have only had my hair done in a salon twice in my life. Once for my SIL when she was trianing and needed a dummy for highlights years ago and once when i didnt have my hair dye helper. Other than that ive always dyed my own hair. I went from blond to deep auburn, to dark dark brown, to dark brown with purple glaze all at home. So while i havent lifted or dealt with henna i think im prety ok at it.

Raponsje
August 27th, 2009, 12:23 AM
I have some (very dated) experience with DIY dye. I used to follow the instructions and it worked out fine. Most of the time you cover the roots for the whole time it takes the stuff to work and you cover the rest of your hair X minutes after you did the roots. I also think it very much depends on the brand you buy. I had my hair stripped twice. One time it resulted in matchstick-long hair, cutting was the only way to get out the weird colour. DH was furious, didn't speak for two days. The second time was better. That time it was purple that had to come out. Apparently that is easier than red and the colour that went in was actually very close to my natural colour. It so time consuming and expensive that decided to never dye again.

Good luck, I hope it turns out well.

juliaxena
August 27th, 2009, 05:26 AM
If you put pic of your hair color up, I might be able to give you some advice. I need to see the shade, then maybe I can come up with something smart. I dye my own hair. And I have a question, did your hair dresser use a dye that had some gray pigments?

SimplyLonghair
August 27th, 2009, 05:56 AM
Ash covers red or brassy very well as it is sort of a mix of gray and green. I would use the dye for the regular time that it gives you on the box, they have different ones depending on the brand, so I cannot be more specific. Then take and cover your length with the rest of the dye for about 10 minutes. I think that an ash would help cover even henna leftovers up, but it might not last long. I might think about oiling with coconut oil first to play down some of the damage.

Good luck.
Red is the hardest to go blonde with, I used to for years and it really damages the hair. My mom liked my hair the more blonde that it was as a child and I caved in to pressure. :o

MAO
August 27th, 2009, 08:56 AM
Oh, I'm sorry I forgot to mention that it was Light Ash Blonde that she put on my hair. I believe she followed it with toner and I had a hideous shade of gray/green hair for over a week until I got it all shampooed out, at which point the orange/red brass immediately made itself shown. Last two times she stripped it I had that nasty green/gray color. I won't allow my hair to be stripped again! It stole my curls and my hair just kinda hangs like limp noodles now :( I want to darken my hair just a shade because I am hoping that going a little darker will make the brass color a little less obvious. If it doesn't then I will dye it back to my natural brown. You can see pictures of my hair in my album, but I don't have any new pictures after the last stripping, only after the first.

juliaxena
August 27th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Ok, I must tell you that you shouldn't be dying your lenght any more, just the roots. Is your color like golden blonde now? If so, it can be a good color to use. Be careful on your lenght...trust me, it can get very bad.

MAO
August 27th, 2009, 02:40 PM
It's like a brassy strawberry blonde but my roots are a lighter blonde where the henna has been growing out

MAO
August 27th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Wanna hear something funny? I almost feel like breaking out the henna again after going through all this trouble to get rid of it.......I'm such a retard!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=3407&pictureid=43361

This color, or the red? Hmmmmm

claram89
August 27th, 2009, 04:20 PM
I know my hair turns green now anytime I introduce any dye to it from doing to much to my poor hair.

If your hair is turning green no matter what color you are putting in it, than you might have just over done it, and you can't really help it past that. The only way I was able to not have green hair was when I cut it all off.

SimplyLonghair
August 27th, 2009, 05:12 PM
There is something that you might check out at Sally's. I don't remember the name, but it is a filler. It helps the hair to hold on to color... I would try a darker shade, but only on the hair that has been hennaed. It will then wash out, but most likely darker than the brassy blonde that it is now. I would talk to the folks at Sally's though, they even sell henna now so they are getting more familiar with it.

misspriss
August 27th, 2009, 05:45 PM
I used to dye my hair blonde myself, and then when I colored back over it, it turned that same EXACT color. I liked it pretty good though.

I can't help you out though, it's been years. I went from nearly black to blonde, and it wrecked my hair. It was never really good til I eventually cut off all the old dyed blonde hair.

ETA: To answer the question, you don't leave any kind of bleach or lightener on the roots very long. The heat from your head speeds up the processing.

When I did mine, I left the bleach on the length for 2+ hours, and then put it on the roots for the last 10-25 minutes, max. It develops so much faster.

Komodia
August 27th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Use a 6 tone (it's darker than it seems, promise) with a cm approx. of a BLUE tint. yes, BLUE. buy them in a specialized hair store, not in the drugstore.

Before, use some olive oil with heat (blowdryer over shower cap for some minutes would work) for as long as you can, it can be overnight, for a whole day and wash it at night, etc. You choose. After that, wash your hair with shampoo and conditioner. rinse it all, don't add any leave-on conditioner or any other product. If you have greasy hair, wait a day before dying. If you have normal hair, wait 2 or even 3 days.

Then, dye your roots with the mix (20 vol peroxide at least on your roots, though you can use 2 different mixes (i mean, the same mix but the one intended for the roots used with 20vol peroxide to get the tone similar to the one below your roots, and the lenght with 10vol peroxide to produce less damage, as it's already lighter.. if you do this, comb your hair a couple of times after you added both mixes, so that they blend naturally)). Leave it in your roots for 15 minutes. Then dye the lenght, leave it on for other 15 minutes (i would say 20 on the roots and 15 on the lenght, but considering you will take some time to dye the lenght, im not adding those 5 minutes there..). Then rinse, dont shampoo, just use conditioner. As many times as you need it. Then use any product you use normally on your hair.

For the next applications, cos it wont be perfect, it will take some more time.. Just use dyes with no ammonia or stuff like that, so you don't damage your hair more.

That's the best you can do at home! I hope it works for you. I tried to get rid of a reddish tone left after bleaching my hair partially (to orange) after dying it black... I got it to an ashy medium-dark blonde by doing this and then dying it regularly (though this was only due to the fact that i was dying it a 7 tone, though my natural tone is a 6-5).. Then i hated how the colour looked on me and darkened it a bit and added henna, but well, that's another story hahaha

juliaxena
August 27th, 2009, 11:56 PM
If henna is an option to you again then you could maybe use cassia. Don't know how your roots will react to it though.

Cherry_Sprinkle
August 28th, 2009, 12:47 AM
I've been all shades of color.. and bottle dying isn't that much different for any color you are dying as long as you aren't foil wrapping/highlighting/lo-lighting. Pretty much like another poster said you spread the color on the roots for the amount of time the dye suggests minus 10 minutes.. in the last 10mins my stylist dilutes the dye just enough to spread through my hair (whats remaining in the bottle) and then sit for 10mins and shampoo and condition as usual.

That's pretty much been my usual touch up routine for blond, red, and brown. The developer you use (if you're not using some box color) will depend on how much you lighten. The bottle will usually tell you which to use. HTH :flower: