PDA

View Full Version : Post Pregnancy Scalp and Hair

Blueneko
August 26th, 2009, 03:49 PM
The epic shedding is expected. Just as bad with baby 3. I will live.

But the funky scalp smell is just making me wonder. It is summer, I am a sweaty girl, I just had a baby... could all these things together be giving me the funky scalp? It smells like bed head and I was doing just fine with 1 wash a week up until this summer. Now I need 3 washes a week or else I can't stand the smell.

I have begun baking soda scrubs again. Just wondering if it is hormonal or something. Thanks!

GlennaGirl
August 26th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Your hormones are freaking out right now. Give it about 6-8 weeks and then see whether things are changing. Congratulations on your new baby!!!

Blueneko
August 26th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Thank you! She is 4 months already with a headful of LHC worthy hair. I figured it was hormones, but I wanted a fellow mommy to confirm so I can rule out a health issue (I am eating poorly as I ran around after all these monkeys!).

Love your avatar, GlennaGirl!

Lilli
August 26th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Ah, the 4 month baldness. Such joy! I never lose enough for anyone to notice but me and my drain. I can't help you with the smell, though, as I wash lots and lots.

Blueneko
August 26th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Lilli, I am considering buying the Turbo Snake I saw on television for the poor defenseless drains.

Raponsje
August 27th, 2009, 04:40 AM
Here also post natal hair. Not a smelly scalp, but greasy. I am back to washing every other day. The hair loss is not so bad as expected (knocking on wood vigorously)

NiAosSi
August 27th, 2009, 05:08 AM
Congrats on baby number 3! When I had DD 5 years ago, I remember not losing much hair but I had a stinky scalp. It subsided in about six months. If you breastfeed and are maintaining a poor diet, that might also be it.

Lilli
August 27th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Lilli, I am considering buying the Turbo Snake I saw on television for the poor defenseless drains.

What works for us is to pour a bunch of baking soda in, then pour in a bunch of vinegar, and cover the drain overnight. In the morning, run hot water for awhile. I didn't think it would work but it did! Then we got a plastic strainer drain cover and that traps a lot of hair.

GlennaGirl
August 27th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Love your avatar, GlennaGirl!

Thank you. I just love that movie (Ever After).

GlennaGirl
August 27th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Ah, the 4 month baldness. Such joy! I never lose enough for anyone to notice but me and my drain.

Ughhhhhhhhh, yeah. Or...for me, it wasn't that I lost more than I started out with pre-pregnancy. Rather, I simply didn't have much shedding during pregnancy, the result being my hair looked SO thick and wonderful. While pregnant.

A couple/few months later the story had changed. :p

HennaFaerie
September 30th, 2009, 07:23 AM
What works for us is to pour a bunch of baking soda in, then pour in a bunch of vinegar, and cover the drain overnight. In the morning, run hot water for awhile. I didn't think it would work but it did! Then we got a plastic strainer drain cover and that traps a lot of hair.

I second this. I just tried this this week and was very skeptical. It worked better than any drain opener I've ever used. I didn't even have to leave it overnight. Just until the fizzing stopped.

Now I have a question about hair DURING pregnancy. I'm on kid #2 and my scalp is insanely greasy. It's grossing me out. I didn't have this with my 1st. I tried using clairifying VO5 and I always rinse with ACV. I'm back to washing every other day instead of every 3 days because of this.

On a lighter note, my hair is really shiney:)

So what gives? Anyone else have this and what did you do?

whiteisle
September 30th, 2009, 09:24 AM
I'm right there with ya! My DS, my third, just turned 4 months old and I'm convinced he's going to have a bald mommy! lol I just don't remember loosing this much hair before, but then again my hair hasn't been this long in a very long time so maybe it seems like more than it really is. I did invest in one of those plastic drain strainer thingys after having to pick the drain clean twice. Eeewwww! And I'm nursing so that might be playing a significant role...not sure? But hopefully the hormones will settle soon. I'm trying to stretch my washings and even dabbling in some WO between. I don't know if it helps to reduce the shedding but it keeps the drain cleaner! ;)

Congrats on your newest little one! :blossom: