PDA

View Full Version : bangs??

Dez
August 26th, 2009, 03:05 PM
I'm sure this has been brought up before by others. But how would i know if i'd look good in bangs? Mostly i want bangs because up dos can look severe on me since all my hair is back. And the top of my hair is straight so i don't have to worry about my bangs curling. However 1.) i do have glasses and 2.) I have a cowlick right in the middle of my forhead which tends to cause my bangs to split in the middle and look weird if i don't style all the time. I don't know if having thicker bangs would cause that to not happen? And i don't want to spend the weirdness time growing them out if they don't look good.

GlennaGirl
August 26th, 2009, 03:43 PM
What if you try some very light, very long face-framing layers--chin to jaw length or thereabouts--which can blend back into the rest of your hair if it turns out you don't like them?

I really like the look of some nicely placed wispies, and it's not usually hard to get them back "into" the rest of the hair when you want to if you've cut just very shallow ones.

manderly
August 26th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Take a good photo of yourself to Taaz.com. If you search here for taaz, you'll find a thread where a bunch of us did makeovers on there. Very realistic hairstyles.

As for styling and such, yeah, if you want to wear your bangs as bangs, you'll probably have to do something to them daily. I had to blow mine out with a round brush daily to get them to behave. Now that they're longer, I generally don't wear bangs, but a quick blow with my round brush and I have long sideswept bangs :)

Tap Dancer
August 27th, 2009, 06:25 AM
I have a cowlick right in the middle of my forhead which tends to cause my bangs to split in the middle and look weird if i don't style all the time. I don't know if having thicker bangs would cause that to not happen? And i don't want to spend the weirdness time growing them out if they don't look good.

Personally, I think bangs (thick or thin) are going to give you problems. Have you considered face framing layers? Or, if you really want to try bangs, go for long ones. I would stay away from eyebrow length bangs, which don't work well with a cowlick.

rogue_psyche
August 27th, 2009, 12:57 PM
When I got bangs cut for the first time in years, I was angered by how much styling they required. I also have a stubborn cowlick, but even pre-LHC styling with anything other than a hairbrush was not a daily occurrence. So when my bangs started to grow out, I cut them myself, so that the cowlick decided where they go, rather than the blowdrier. For me the result was a side-swept, asymetrical bang with a playful wave to it. The best part is that I can wake up in the morning and my bangs are fine. I shower and air dry, bangs are fine. Go on a rollercoaster, bangs are fine after two sweeps of a brush.

Maybe your cowlick can allow for a compromise regarding the shape of your bangs.

Elainehali
August 27th, 2009, 01:53 PM
I cut my bangs myself and honestly I think it was one of the better choices I ever made. =P

If you have thick hair as your stats indicate the bangs also help make updos just a *little* less heavy.

I however have a natural center part and do have to style the bangs every time they get wet. I also have to wash them with shampoo at least every other day (while I dont wash the rest of my hair nearly as frequently.)

Just some ideas to consider.

Dez
August 27th, 2009, 02:01 PM
thanks! taaz was a pretty cool program. It seems i look good with bangs, but it's the styling and making sure they look good all the time. Also my cowlick is directly in the center of my forehead :rolleyes: and i don't know if i'm accomplished enough to figure out cutting my bangs myself. I guess i'll give it the two week rule for now.

bjt
August 27th, 2009, 02:35 PM
so that the cowlick decided where they go, rather than the blowdrier. For me the result was a side-swept, asymetrical bang with a playful wave to it. The best part is that I can wake up in the morning and my bangs are fine. I shower and air dry, bangs are fine.

This is pretty much my situation... I have a cowlick on one side of where my bangs would be. So I cut some longish pieces where my bangs would have been (down to about my mouth) and a few layers on the sides and it looks like I have side-swept bangs that all go to one side. I didn't cut a lot, so its not at all heavy... more whispy and it really softened up my updos. I don't have to style it at all... even though the rest of my hair is straight, these pieces wave just enough that they usually look great.

Lilli
August 27th, 2009, 03:41 PM
I cut bangs last month and am very against them. My hair is super-easy to style and I don't have to do anything to them to get them to look right and I still hate them. I also wear glasses and the bangs and glasses interfere b/c as soon as they get a little long, they sit up on the frames instead of my forehead and it looks weird. Fighting a cowlick is a bad idea, so I think face-framing layers would be better.

Fifty-Five
August 27th, 2009, 04:16 PM
I say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it =P I'm sure your hair looks fine the way it is, and there's no worrying about 'what ifs' and 'should have dones' =3

Toadstool
August 27th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Believe me, thick bangs make no difference to a cowlick.
Tried this loads of times. :(
Always have to grow them out:rolleyes: