PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with my head?!?!

lady_hero
April 16th, 2008, 10:09 AM
So, I wanted to go all natural; no 'cones, no sulfates, the whole deal. I bought a few different 'poos and condishes from our health food store. They didn't smell too much, but, I was gung-ho that I would stick to all natural stuff. I stuck with my same routine ( I usually wash on dd3 or 4 ) After about 4 weeks, my head started peeling off and itching like there was no tomorrow. So, I tried washing it every other day, and that dried my ends out, even if I oiled every day.

So, I gave up and went back to Head and Shoulders :-( Boo-hoos.
Anyone else have this trouble? I used H and S for years, and it never seemed to damage my hair, so that's a good thing.

I should add that I live in a very humid, hot climate and that I'm not sensitive to sulfates or cones. I do think that cones make my hair straighter and have less body, though. That could be just me :-D

Sorry for the rant, folks. I'm just a bit bummed.

AJoifulNoise
April 16th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Not everyone can go "all natural" or at least that's my understanding. I, too, tried to get rid of cones and sulfates... It didn't work. It left my hair and scalp a mess. So, I went back to the cones and occasional sulfates and my hair rejoiced.

Everyone head of hair is different. And, while I think that experimenting is good, I don't think we should try to put outselves into a mold that we don't fit in to. Don't feel bad about what your hair likes.

eadwine
April 16th, 2008, 10:13 AM
*points at AJoifulNoise* What she said! :D

k_hepburn
April 16th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Head&Shoulders designed to combat dandruff? I've used anti-dandruff shampoos a few times in the past, but only ever for limited periods of time, until my scalp had settled, then switched back to normal shampoo. Now, just off the cuff I would suspect that if you use that kind of a product on your scalp as your regular shampoo for an extended period of time, your scalp will adapt to the active ingredient in the anti-dandruff shampoo being constantly present, so switching back to a "normal" shampoo and condish range (all natural being a version of normal, as in non-medicated) your scalp is bound to react by producing excessive amounts of dandruff.

To put it simply, is it possible that your scalp has become dependent on the presence of those anti-dandruff agents in Head&Shoulders? My guess is that coming off this product, even if you decided to switch to "normal" commercial brands rather than all naturals, your scalp will require quite a long period of adjustment, with a good deal of itchiness and flaking to deal with in the meantime. Personally, I would do it, because I wouldn't like the idea of constantly applying a harsh chemical to my scalp and would be wondering about long term effects.

Greetings

katharine

anna1850
April 16th, 2008, 11:12 AM
I thought I had to use anti-dandruff shampoos for years until I found ACV rinses. I guess my scalp was too alkaline and it would flake with ordinary shampoos. I don't know if you have the same problem but it could be worth a try if you haven't already.

I didn't think the anti-dandruff shampoos were damaging my hair until I stopped using them for a few months and realised that in doing so, I had killed the dreaded Frizz Monster. Turns out all the SLS must have been drying my hair out.

At least you know that you can always solve any scalp problems with the H&S but if I were you I'd try a bit more experimenting before giving up. I've also heard a lot of people recommend rosemary EO for scalp problems.

BrianaFineHair
April 16th, 2008, 11:19 AM
My daughter had itchy scalp issues and could only use H and S. I bought her some Jason conditioner and Avalon Organics Shampoo. She uses these products with a vinegar rinse and has told me her scalp is not itchy or dry feeling anymore and it's been several months.

Aljona
April 16th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Maybe you had an allergic reaction to something in that natural stuff. Many natural products contain lots of essential oils which can irritate a sensitive scalp. Have you tried oiling your scalp and not just the ends? It could help with calming it down.

I've tried lots of natural shampoos. They all seem to dry my hair out because I have to wash often because of my greasy hair. Now I'm washing with Indian herbs and doing a heavy oiling before and it works just fine.

seabear
April 16th, 2008, 11:22 AM
I agree it sounds like an allergic reaction. FWIW, there are lots of us here who use sulfates and 'cones and our hair is none the worse for it. In fact, I need them!