PDA

View Full Version : Could S&Ds be responsible??

PhillyGirl1978@
August 25th, 2009, 06:39 PM
I have a question, my ends have been so crispy and dry but not just at the tips. I have the dry ends everywhere from like my neck down. The top part is all pretty smooth, the part that feels rough is any part where there is any semblance of a layer or length difference. So uneven areas from S&D'ng or the subtle layers my hairdresser put in. Ok so I am going to try to spritz and oil more regularly so that they can be moisturized but I wonder should my little trims and stuff stop, I mean I am kinda aiming for a blunter hemline anyhow. But might this cease to be a problem when it's all one length? The crispiness only starts where the difference in layers starts.

Pierre
August 26th, 2009, 08:32 AM
If you feel a single hair, is it rough at the end? Do the ends tangle? If so, they are probably damaged and should be snipped.

I don't bother trimming, since my ends are curly. I just snip splits and tangles.

MemSahib
August 26th, 2009, 10:48 AM
I am not at all sure this is your problem from your description of the crispness beginning at the layering but... too much protein in your shampoo or conditioner can make your hair feel rough. I've done it to my babyfine, super-silky hair before. If that is your problem, a clarifying shampoo, such as good old Suave Daily Clarifying, will take care of the problem in a single wash.

heatherdazy
August 26th, 2009, 12:14 PM
I am not at all sure this is your problem from your description of the crispness beginning at the layering but... too much protein in your shampoo or conditioner can make your hair feel rough.
Yep, that was my first thought also. You might need something with less protein and more moisture for a while, especially if you don't color/highlight/heat style frequently.

GlassEyes
August 26th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Protein is a possibility, as is the possible need to clarify. I'd do both (reduce protein if any, and clarify) before doin any trimming, wiht a moisture tratment after.

PhillyGirl1978@
August 26th, 2009, 04:14 PM
If you feel a single hair, is it rough at the end? Do the ends tangle? If so, they are probably damaged and should be snipped.

I don't bother trimming, since my ends are curly. I just snip splits and tangles.

On some of the hair I do feel damage at the end of the strand...other strands I don't. The problem is most of that hair is at different lengths so it makes the that whole bottom part of my hair feel damaged.

PhillyGirl1978@
August 26th, 2009, 04:16 PM
I am not at all sure this is your problem from your description of the crispness beginning at the layering but... too much protein in your shampoo or conditioner can make your hair feel rough. I've done it to my babyfine, super-silky hair before. If that is your problem, a clarifying shampoo, such as good old Suave Daily Clarifying, will take care of the problem in a single wash.

I am CG so I don't use shampoo...I only use Suave conditoner and lately it has been that Cherry Blossom one. So I do occasionally clarify the ends because they seem to be the only part that consistently get crispy.

PhillyGirl1978@
August 26th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Maybe I'll clarify with a little baking soda tonight and then try to oil that part wile damp with some Jojoba oil.

PhillyGirl1978@
August 27th, 2009, 04:57 AM
Ok, we'll see how this works. I did clarify last night they did feel smoother. I also moisturized and they don't feel as dry just a little mishapen. I do think you guys were right about the build up, I do rinse conditioner out but not all of it and will all my hair I need to put some back in to help with control. Previously because of my dry ends I think I put too much on that part, which would explain the build up. So what should I do to prevent it, other than clarifying? I mean I can only do that so often or they really will get dry. I don't use shampoo so what should I be doing daily in the shower to prevent too much build up? I also may try putting less conditioner back in, I just need it for hold, I only really use AVG and water for hold other than conditioner.

P.S. What would make it build up, I mean there is no protein in it? Maybe I should be shampooing occasionally. Maybe diluting it and using shampoo like 1x every two weeks or so, I don't know. I haven't really shampooed in years.