PDA

View Full Version : I'm sorry.....gripe thread warning...

whiteisle
August 25th, 2009, 03:18 PM
....DD, 3 yo, really wanted her hair shorter (some may remember we recently got it cut well above her shoulders) so I made her an appointment today. Pixie is what we were in the market for. So we get there and the stylist isn't there - doctor's appt. Ah, but she should be back in time according to another girl in there. 20 mins past appointment time she comes rushing in. Strike one: she's running late. Strike two: Oh! She's doubled booked DD with another client. So when I tell her that DD wants a pixie and she agrees to do it I assumed (I know falsely now) that she understood this was for a girl and that it should be feminine. Strike three: She's still in a rush and gives DD basically a boy's cut. She's practically buzzed up the back and the girl cut the neckline straight across and used clippers. :mad: There's nothing girly about it at all.

I am so fed up and DONE! But I'm going to have to do something with DD's hair as it grows so that it either grows out decently or that it is maintained short - I don't know what to do. I'm just so put out right now. Sorry for the rant but I figured you all might understand.

Addy
August 25th, 2009, 03:29 PM
:agape:

Oh My Goodness. What a disaster! Your poor little girl.

What in the world was that stylist thinking?! I just want to scream with you! There's probly nothing you can do for atleast a couple months to make it look girly! :(

I would definately complain! Oh yes, I would complain!

heatherdazy
August 25th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Wow, that sucks.

Have you been to this stylist before? I agree she should have known to keep the edges of the cut very soft, maybe wisps in front of the ears, etc and under no circumstances should have done a buzz with a clippered off neckline...ugh...

Can you call the manager/owner and ask for either a refund or a free corrective cut once it's long enough?

whiteisle
August 25th, 2009, 03:55 PM
She IS the owner. :(
I'm such a non-confrontational person - I just don't have what it takes to go back and complain. I guess I'm more passive-aggressive in that I just won't go back. Oh, and I've been going to her on and off for the last 10 years or so. I think I'm just now accepting that despite her skill our styling preferences differ greatly! I could just spit nails right now! I didn't know who else to take her to though. I really don't have much confidence in the chain salons, ya know? Especially to do a pixie on a little, little girl. But apparently, it wouldn't have mattered. :rolleyes:

Lady Mary
August 25th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Oh no :( I hope you didn't pay for the cut!

jahof45
August 25th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Have you researched short-short styles online? I used Bedhead Mudd in my 1 to 2" long hair to make some really cute styles. Could be fun! Also, consider using temp colors to play in her hair for fun too! Glitter is always a cool add when your hair is super short cuz you can wash it out. I would look up super-short style ideas and see if there is anything you can do to pass the grow-out time but still keep DD smiling about her hair. May we see a photo of her cut?

apynip
August 25th, 2009, 04:45 PM
oh thats infuriating! reminds me of the time a hairstylist cut my bangs in a V shape(i call them vampire bangs) instead of teh very slight v(i had even showed her a picture of it!) and it looked horrid because she had to cut it to the slight v i wanted.

I hope you didnt pay for it... I wouldnt have. look for a new stylist. Men are normally very good. i know it sounds weird but i'm very particular and i love my stylist. he is amazing!

whiteisle
August 25th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Pics:

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii290/wcanderson/Hair%20Journal/IMG_0729.jpg

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii290/wcanderson/Hair%20Journal/IMG_0730.jpg

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii290/wcanderson/Hair%20Journal/IMG_0732.jpg

Ugh! That back pic actually looks better than real life. Believe me, it's pretty straight across.

apynip
August 25th, 2009, 04:49 PM
she is so adorable! but her hair makes me cry. Um... bows and cute girly outfits? D: :(

Isilme
August 25th, 2009, 04:53 PM
why not go to another hairdresser and explain the problem? You can ask if they can correct it it doesn't ultra short and I'm sure something could be done, maybe a little bit of wax? Oh, and I would also go back to the original hairdresser and complain.

Rohele
August 25th, 2009, 05:06 PM
I does look boyish... but how does your DD feel about it? If she's OK with it I wouldn't make a huge deal over it.

Is it long enough to maybe use a little styling mud to get it a little piecier in the front and pull some wisps over her ears? Or use teeny tiny little glittery clips?

Quixii
August 25th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Yeah, it definitely does look like a boy-cut. But she's adorable so it makes up for it. :)
It looks long enough that you can do headbands and clips, and that's what I would do. Actually, if I were to ever cut my hair really short, I'd definitely do lots of clips and headbands. For some reason I or my hair just doesn't look good with them as is.

Cherry_Sprinkle
August 25th, 2009, 05:25 PM
does DD have any sort of flip to her hair? You could use a little aloe to flip her ends something like this (http://www.short-hair-styles-magazine.com/images/short-girl-hairstyles-04.jpg)?

jahof45
August 25th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Pics:

Ugh! That back pic actually looks better than real life. Believe me, it's pretty straight across.

I think she is adorable!

Misha
August 25th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Although it's not what you wanted, she does looks very cute! What does she think about it?

And you know, today so many different cuts are considered stylish, she will surely be the most stylish among her friends.:)

Lamb
August 25th, 2009, 05:52 PM
I know you are angry, but really - she is 3. At her age, I had way more important things to worry about than my hair. Lots of butterflies to chase and puddles to jump into and dogs to imitate, that sort of thing. ;) If she is not too unhappy about the style, let it go. It looks boyish - well, there are worse things to look like! :p

whiteisle
August 25th, 2009, 06:36 PM
She's perfectly content because her hair is like her older brother's. In fact as soon as she saw him she announced happily that her hair is like his now. :p It;s me that's got the problem. I think of things like one day when she's 15 she'll ask why in the world did I do that to her. (I did the same thing to my mom, "Why did you put me in that dress???)". :D

I'm going to see about getting some kind of styling product (mud? is that what will make it piecey?) to get through some grow-out.

And thank you all for your kind words and compliments. We think she's pretty darn cute, too, no matter what hair she sports. ;)

I just wish the girl would've put some thought into what she was doing instead of being in AUTO (rush) mode.

eta: she hates her hair in her face and refuses to wear it up or use anything so that's why we went this route so she could concern herself with more important matters like digging in the mud, aggravting her bro, and playing princess. ;)

whiteisle
August 25th, 2009, 06:42 PM
does DD have any sort of flip to her hair? You could use a little aloe to flip her ends something like this (http://www.short-hair-styles-magazine.com/images/short-girl-hairstyles-04.jpg)?

Maybe when it grows some. There's nothing left to flip right now. :)

ladylibra
August 25th, 2009, 06:52 PM
I think of things like one day when she's 15 she'll ask why in the world did I do that to her. (I did the same thing to my mom, "Why did you put me in that dress???)".

Oh sweetie... if that's the worst thing she ever complains about when she's older, you'll go down in history as best mother ever! :laugh:

She might look back and :rolleyes:, but then again she might look back and :D. I think she looks downright adorable, and as others have said, she's 3... she'll have her whole life to grow it back out if she so chooses later down the line. ;)

longhairedfairy
August 25th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Oh, my goodness! That is absolutely nothing like a pixie cut. There's not even the slightest resemblance. I would try not to make too big a deal about it in front of DD so that she won't feel bad about it, but I would tell the stylist that's NOT what you paid for.
Your little girl is adorable!

longhairedfairy
August 25th, 2009, 06:56 PM
She's perfectly content because her hair is like her older brother's. In fact as soon as she saw him she announced happily that her hair is like his now. :p It;s me that's got the problem. I think of things like one day when she's 15 she'll ask why in the world did I do that to her. (I did the same thing to my mom, "Why did you put me in that dress???)". :D
Eh, teens are "supposed" to be embarrassed by things their parents do (unintentionally, of course).

I'm going to see about getting some kind of styling product (mud? is that what will make it piecey?) to get through some grow-out.
And thank you all for your kind words and compliments. We think she's pretty darn cute, too, no matter what hair she sports. ;)
I just wish the girl would've put some thought into what she was doing instead of being in AUTO (rush) mode.

eta: she hates her hair in her face and refuses to wear it up or use anything so that's why we went this route so she could concern herself with more important matters like digging in the mud, aggravting her bro, and playing princess. ;)
At least she's concentrating on the things that matter.;)

jasper
August 25th, 2009, 06:56 PM
She's a cutie. If she'll put up with a cute little hair clip or two,(or even a tiara if she' playing princess) she won't be looking boyish.

longhairedfairy
August 25th, 2009, 06:57 PM
You could get her a tiara. :)

pradabacon
August 25th, 2009, 07:02 PM
^^^ Great idea! And I like jahof45's ideas about having some fun with colors, accessories, or glitter while it's growing out. She'll be thrilled and look cute too.

And I think she looks precious with it just the way it is. If she's happy, I'm down with it. :)

But I would never, ever give that stylist my business ever again. Your DD looks adorable because she's naturally adorable...there is no excuse for what that woman did.

whiteisle
August 25th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Yes, we have the accompanying tiaras and they stay on all of 5 minutes max. :rolleyes: LOL

Bellona
August 25th, 2009, 07:06 PM
She's soooo cute! I think she is really girly looking and would not be mistaken for a boy, ever. I'm sorry that stylist didn't listen to you, though. Seems to be the trend with stylists, unfortunately.

redneckprincess
August 26th, 2009, 08:31 AM
oh man I would be IRATE, but luckly it is only hair, buy her some cute bands and clips. are her ears pierced? have her wear some earings great color though!!

Periwinkle
August 26th, 2009, 08:50 AM
That's horrible :/ If DD doesn't have a problem, then that's good though - that would only make it worse!

If you're worried about her being mistaken for a boy (it can be very hard to tell little kids' genders apart from hair, dress etc.), then I would suggest glittery clips and such, or other feminine things (maybe she could make herself some bracelets/necklaces out of beads? I used to love doing that when I was a kid!).

She's only a little kid so her hair will look longer in less time than it would if she were an adult :) In two or three months, she'll probably have enough for another stylist to fix it.

Dez
August 26th, 2009, 11:50 AM
yeah she's so cute anyway. But that haircut is exactly the one given to my boys. If you're none confrontational maybe you can you just write a letter to her explaining the reason you won't be going to her or her salon again. That way you don't have to be confrontational, you don't have to ask or argue about a refund since you seem ready to write that off anyway. But at least she'll know she screwed up and lost a customer. She seems like the type of person who won't even notice that you don't come back and will continue to be clueless with other customers.

Fencai
August 26th, 2009, 12:55 PM
I think she's absolutely adorable!!!! And at 3, she'll just be happy that its functional and out of her face! My 5 year old niece would love to have her hair cut (hip length super curly hair) my SIL won't do it though.

and not to play devil's advocate here, but when I had my pixie cut, I used to have them take the clippers to the back and sides, and lots of girls here in the city did it the same way too. So, its not uncommon for clippers to be involved

halo_tightens
August 26th, 2009, 01:31 PM
I agree about all the fun things she can do with it while it's so short and easy to mess with... All the glitter and clippies sounds awesome, especially to the little girl in me! It'll be easier now than at any other time to do fun and silly things with it without aggravation, so you guys might as well take advantage of it! :)

LawyerGirl
August 26th, 2009, 01:37 PM
My advice (sorry haven't read all the replies) is a deep side part secured with a sparkley clip... and some mud/gel to spike up the back a little. But maybe that is too oldish for a little one?

rach
August 26th, 2009, 01:44 PM
She's a cutie. If she'll put up with a cute little hair clip or two,(or even a tiara if she' playing princess)

You could get her a tiara. :)

clips can become yours and your daughters best friend :D - that would look cute indeed.

she's young enough i don't think many would turn a blind eye. she's adorable.
my daughter had hair not far off that length at her age and i wasn't evan cut.

but yes that hair dresser needs complaining at!!!! they didn't deliver what you wanted.

heatherdazy
August 26th, 2009, 01:51 PM
I think you'll be able to do that flippy type look someone else posted in about a month or two, so that's not too bad.

Also, I second the motion of writing to the stylist to explain your disappointment and all the reasons you won't be coming back. If these problems are never brought to her attention, she can never do anything about them.

lindaton
August 26th, 2009, 02:00 PM
I thought a pixie was an inch or so below the ear. Being a redhead, I love the color and think she is a doll. And I can see why youre spitting nails. Ive had hairdressers do this to me so many times. Sorry youre going though this.

Linda

Medievalmaniac
August 26th, 2009, 03:19 PM
OMG, I would be LIVID!!! That is NOT a pixie cut at all...it's definitely a regular boy's haircut!!

You should certainly complain about it. And NEVER go back there!!! :O

Blueneko
August 26th, 2009, 03:51 PM
At least your daughter is pretty enough to pull it off.

I vote headbands and flower clips.

Alun
August 26th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Hair accessories on short haired little girls shout from the rooftops that the parent is telling you that it's a girl, honest, no really it is! So, no, I actually don't think they are a good idea. I just think it looks weird when there isn't enough hair for them to have a functional purpose. But then, I'm a guy. Besides, her mum is telling you that those things wouldn't stay on for five minutes, that's your bottom line.

The girl is happy with it, and it will grow. One of the few good things about short hair is that it doesn't take long before there will be enough hair to go somewhere and get a new cut. In the long run (and not all that long a time, really) you are just out the cost of a haircut.

I'm not quite sure what the difference is between a boy's short cut and a pixie?

It can't be hair in front of the ears. When I was a little boy and had short hair I wanted some hair left in that area, to look like the sideburns the grownup guys had.

I don't believe that it's using clippers at the back either. I never had that done (well once, but I cried - hey, I was only 3 or 4 at the time), and if you called my haircut a pixie cut you'd have been in trouble!

Maybe a hairdresser could explain the difference, but I'm pretty sure it isn't either of those things. There again, I'm not so sure that there IS any difference!

Deborah
August 26th, 2009, 04:54 PM
What on earth was that stupid woman thinking?! :taz:

But, your little one is very cute, has lovely red hair, and is only three. That last one is the biggest plus. She's too young to understand that she doesn't want to look like a boy.

I agree that using some girlie hairtoys every day will help. And, especially at her age, it will grow in quite fast.

Don't lose heart! She'll be just fine, and a few inches down the road, she'll have her pixie. :flower:

Flynn
August 26th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Pics:

There's nothing wrong with that! I was picturing something seriously buzzed. On a little girl, that's a cute, cheeky cut!

It may not have been what you were after, but I don't think it is as bad as you think it is (things always look worse when they are different from your expectations.) The stylist is a total idiot for not doing what you asked for, but what she has done is far from a disaster.

It's summer still, right, so if she'll wear skirts just dress her in one if you're worried about her looking boyish. Accessories in short hair are annoying to the wearer, and tend to look somehow "forced". By the time it's cold enough to need trousers again, her hair will have grown out and softened up a bit.

ETA:

I'd definitely give the styling product a miss. Kiddies' skin and eyes are sensitive, and she'll be bound to touch her hair, then touch her face or eyes, and get an irritation from it. I don't think it's such a good idea to be putting that stuff on littlies.

Spring
August 26th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Your daughter is so adorable..... But while I was reading your original post, I was angry for you. I'm very glad your DD hair will grow back.

marikamt
August 26th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Pics:

Try some products... pomandes or wax (I think I used to use one called beach head surf wax)- Garnier makes some fun ones too.... maybe making it more tousled/ piecey will help?? Also, when it is that short, a little bit of growth will make a HUGE difference... even a 1/4 inch....

btw- her hair color is gorgeous!! She is a real cutey!

Gulbahar
August 27th, 2009, 01:58 AM
I wouldn't try anything on her hair. She is 3, for Gods sake, and SHE likes it. Her hair will grow back in no time at all. What would you do if she wants her boyish pixie back then? Ignore her wish? Just playing devil's advocate here....
While it's a little sad that the hairdresser didn't listen - your daughter is cute and doesn't even feel that her hair might not be ok. I'd just leave it. ;)

Elenna
August 27th, 2009, 02:59 AM
What a cute kid. That lovely red hair color. What can I say, hair grows.

whiteisle
August 31st, 2009, 08:09 AM
Thanks everyone! :blossom:

It's been almost a week and it doesn't bother me nearly as much. The short pixie is most appropiate for her personality ~ just wish it were a bit softer looking is all but I know that's probably only a few short weeks away. I've been using aloe on it after wetting it to "style" it. Only thing is that the aloe dries and the piecey look goes away. :confused: I bought some pomade (couldn't find mud) but I'm hesitant using it on such a little one like a pp said. Anywho.....we're getting along with it, she's happy as a lark and I will NOT be returning to that stylist. I've basically written her off.

She starts gymnastics this week and I think her cut is just perfect for that! :D

spidermom
August 31st, 2009, 08:21 AM
She does look adorable, and since she's happy - well, that's the most important thing. She'll probably have an inch of growth in less than 2 months at that age.

I know a couple of adult women who keep their hair about that short and I have in the past.

SHELIAANN1969
August 31st, 2009, 08:44 AM
Awwwwww, she is cute! I do know what you mean about being a *boy* cut instead of having fringy/wispy bits, softening up the cut a little.

I had this done to my hair, the day before school pictures, when I was 9 years old, I cried and I still cringe when I see that pic in my grans albums.

But, it wasn't the end of the world and I think she will pick up on your mood more than the haircut, act like it's all good and she won't notice the difference.

She is adorable and will have a blast at gymnastics, maybe you can start cutting her hair yourself in the future? A good pair of scissors and some practice and you will save time, money and a whole lot of frustration.

Start while she's young, that way, small mistakes won't be a big deal! :flower:

lilalong
August 31st, 2009, 09:10 AM
If it helps, my mom kept my hair in a boy cut for all my childhood (mostly because it was easier) until I was old enough at age 7/8 to demand differently. I was also mistaken as a boy a couple of times. It has not harmed me and today I'm a healthy, adjusted and happy adult. ;)

Fifty-Five
August 31st, 2009, 10:24 AM
Well... I hope your DD likes it? =3 *tries to smile encouragingly*

ClareDee
August 31st, 2009, 11:17 AM
Your daughter is very pretty :) I know the style is not what you asked for, so I undertand your being annoyed. She's still so cute though - and she's happy, so it's not so bad.

I had a pixie cut when I was her age. I also liked to wear a pair of blue dungarees a lot.

My mum told me that one day she lost me in a supermarket, and there was an announcement over the tannoy: "Small boy found lost in store -- wearing blue dungarees. Parent please call to Customer Service Desk".

She knew it was me. :)

Being mistaken for a boy isn't something I ever remember, but it doesn't bother me anyway. I had very short hair until I was maybe 6 years old, and didn't wear pink very much. I have an older brother so I wore some of his hand-me-downs. I was a girly-girl though, just didn't look like one ;)
Here's a pic of me in my pixie cut (grown out a bit here) and dungarees -- ickle Claredee :p :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/frogmella/babie-1.jpg

pradabacon
August 31st, 2009, 11:42 AM
Awwww! Lookit widdle Claredee! http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/hootietoot/girl_sigh-1.gif

Come to think of it...I had boy hair at your DD's age too. :D My mom says she was afraid I was going to be bald because I hardly had any hair until I was 2. She liked to put me in a dress occasionally so people would know I was a girl, but I usually won that battle and ended up in awesome corduroys instead. http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/hootietoot/nuts.gif

Here's little boy Hootie in a silly red dress and some sweet alphabet cords. :laugh:

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/hootietoot/013.jpghttp://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/hootietoot/027.jpg

Your DD will probably get a big kick out of her old pics when she's older. I know I do!

ClareDee
August 31st, 2009, 11:52 AM
Haha, cute hootietoot!

Second pic is dangerously close to Charlie bit my finger (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OBlgSz8sSM) territory. With you as Charlie's victim, naturally :D

pradabacon
August 31st, 2009, 12:01 PM
Ahahaha! I love the Charlie video! http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/hootietoot/lol-049.gif

I'm lucky my baby bro didn't have any teeth yet. :D

[/hijack]

Demetrue
August 31st, 2009, 01:42 PM
The main issue is that your daughter is not upset about the haircut, so try not to call too much attention to it or make her feel self-conscious that you feel that something is wrong or that you are angry at the hairdresser. It will grow a LOT longer over the next 4 months in comparison to her little head/body and you can eventually turn the style into a chin length bob, which looks very cute on little girls. While it grows out, you can use cute hair clips with little bows or soft headbands to match her outfits.

Rhiannon7
August 31st, 2009, 07:29 PM
so sorry about this. i hate when the stylist just rushes through a cut, specially on a child. can you find a child's salon? one that is well recommended and with good stylists? maybe you can visit the salon's nearby and watch for a couple of hours each to see which is better for you? that is what i did when i first took my niece to a salon for her high school graduation hairstyle. took me days but finally found the perfect salon and stylist for the special ocassion.

also for now you could use those cute baby bows or headbands that match the outfits. super feminine ones. also maybe some ribbons like a headband? i know your little girl is beautiful and very girly, and if i was cutting hair a pixie is exactly good for a little girl.

Rivanariko
August 31st, 2009, 07:48 PM
That's horrible that the stylist rushed through the trim like that, but at least your DD seems happy with it. That is, after all, the most important thing.

If you want to "girl" it up a little bit, you can get little baby hair bows and clips that can go in very short or very fine hair. My mom had velcro ones for me when I was a baby, because my hair was SO fine that nothing else would stay in it! She gave them as a lighthearted gift to a friend of hers years later after her hair started growing back after Chemo treatments (it was well-received, that's the kind of humor this lady had)

jahof45
September 1st, 2009, 03:10 PM
I hope her hair has lost the fresh-cut look by today.

This thread has reminded me that I hate going to salons where the stylists talk so much that you know there is no way they pay attention to what they are doing. I've had a few that I've actually stopped mid-sentence before they cut off the wrong area. I also don't want to spend my time talking to a complete stranger about the ins and outs of my life.

vindo
September 1st, 2009, 09:34 PM
I think you will us have to wait for it to grow out a bit and then shape the existing cut...
If your let her bangs grow in a bit assymetrical I think it would be very girly and cute - less shaggy than this but maybe with shorter bangs:

http://thumbs2.modthesims2.com/img/3/1/8/1/6/5/MTS2_marie_fay_400787_seomi_pixie_recolours.jpg

Yeah I'm sorry its a SIM :o, was the best I found.

Speckla
September 2nd, 2009, 04:23 AM
Aw, she is so pretty and has such nice hair color. I'm sorry you're so unhappy with this. Some pretty headbands will make a big difference and her bangs will grow out fast and you can clip them to the side with some barrettes.

brok3nwings
September 2nd, 2009, 04:26 AM
im so sorry that this happened.. but i have to say, you have such an adorable daughter! And she only needs about two months to have a perfect pixie cut, of course you will have to take her to another hairstylist when that time comes...