PDA

View Full Version : What's Shea Butter?

shinylocks
March 9th, 2008, 01:37 PM
And how do you use it? I was thinking of getting some, then realised I had no idea what it was. :rolleyes:

CurlyNinja
March 9th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Wikipedia says: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shea_butter

A lot of people use shea butter or shea butter-filled products to give their hair and/or skin moisture and healthy shine. You can usually find it online or in a health food store.

shinylocks
March 9th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Oh thankyou CurlyNinja :) .... another question, do you just use it on the ends of your hair or...?

lynnala
March 9th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Oh thankyou CurlyNinja :) .... another question, do you just use it on the ends of your hair or...? I think it really depends on your hair. My hair is extremely thin and fine, and I usually just use the shea butter on the ends and kind of wipe my hands over all the hair when it needs frizz control. I also sometime use a lot of it at night when I'm going to wash my hair the next day. And since I first bought some, I also started using it on my face, wow! It's really great on skin, and it soaks in very fast, not greasy at all. The way to use it is to put a piece or a dab in your palm and rub your hands together until it melts, then rub that into hair or skin. It also is great for new tattoos!:p

cmw45
March 9th, 2008, 06:52 PM
OMG....shea butter is my second love.

Stagecoach
March 9th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Coconut will always be my first love with oils, but Shea Butter has got to be my favorite butter!

For frizz control it's unbeatable. And sometimes I use it as a deep treatment over night... when I wash I only use conditioner on the length so it will still be a little greasy after the wash, but within a couple days it's all soaked in and soft and silky!

shellblue1
March 9th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Where do you guys purchase your shea butter?

basak
March 10th, 2008, 02:47 PM
I have shea body butter from Body Shop. It has lanolin alcohol, benzyl alcohol, methylparaben and propylparaben in it(it has other stuff too, but i'm listing these as I remember alcohols and parabens being mentioned). Is it safe to use in my hair?

Stagecoach
March 10th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Where do you guys purchase your shea butter?

I purchased my shea butter at our local health food store. It's J/A/S/O/N (http://www.jason-natural.com/products/exotic_butters.php)brand, and the ingredients are

Butyrospermum Parkii Fruit (Shea Butter)
Euphorbia Cerifera Wax (Candelilla)
Lecithin (non-GMO)
Tocopherol (Vitamin E)
Fragrance Oil Blend.

Stagecoach
March 10th, 2008, 03:50 PM
I have Shea body butter from Body Shop. It has lanolin alcohol, benzyl alcohol, methylparaben and propylparaben in it(it has other stuff too, but i'm listing these as I remember alcohols and parabens being mentioned). Is it safe to use in my hair?

Well, less ingredients, the more Shea butter you'll have.

I would hesitate to use it since it has two kinds of alcohol, and parabens in it. Maybe you could find something less processed?

basak
March 10th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Well, less ingredients, the more Shea butter you'll have.

I would hesitate to use it since it has two kinds of alcohol, and parabens in it. Maybe you could find something less processed?

It was a gift so I'll just use it as a body butter, then. I have some 'purer' shea butter coming, though :)

Cricket
March 10th, 2008, 05:05 PM
I have some 'purer' shea butter coming, though :)

I think you'll be happier with a purer product. Sometimes you can't judge results properly when there are a lot of ingrediants. You wouldn't know what to blame a success or failure on.

2BThinAgain
March 11th, 2008, 05:10 PM
I just ordered some Unrefined Sea Butter 16 oz from here today and will let you know the results when I get it and start using it. www.naturessheabutter.com

HTH,

Deb

Stagecoach
March 12th, 2008, 01:07 PM
I just stopped in another health food store which I don't go to aften, and they carry NOW brand 100% Pure Shea Butter in 7 fl. oz containers for $8.99!! I of course picked up a bit!

My J/A/S/O/N was better than none, but I didn't care a lot for the fragrance they have, plus I wanted to try the pure stuff cause I think my hair will like it better than the mixed... and I can scent it myself! (BPAL here I come!!)

AntiHairSlave
March 13th, 2008, 06:55 PM
What about 100% natural shea butter? They sell that @ my local BSS

DragonMommie
March 14th, 2008, 09:43 PM
I use raw, unrefined shea butter and you can find sites on the internet that sell it. Here are a couple of sites I've used in the past. Black soap is supposed to also be great for hair, but I've only used it once. Black soap is great for skin, feet and gets you squeaky clean!

The second one actually will send a free sample packet of a few different products:

http://www.agbangakarite.com/

http://www.nasabb.com/

JennQ
March 15th, 2008, 11:28 AM
I ordered some whipped shea butter from CV, it contains 90% shea with: calendula infused grapeseed and macadamia nut oils, jojoba oil, mowrah butter, wheat germ butter, wheat germ oil, and vitamin E.

Any reason I can't use this on my hair? I've never put shea butter in my hair before, so if this is okay, about how much should I use? My hair is 54" right now.

DragonMommie
March 16th, 2008, 10:21 AM
I don't think there is a "set" amount to use, but you should use a little at a time if you don't want that greasy look. If I am using it as a deep conditioner, I use a lot because I know that sooner or later, I will wash it out.

Daily oiling, however, should be done a little at a time. I take a very small amount and melt it with the heat of my hands. then I run my hands through my hair, inside and out, but keep using a very small amount at any one time. Then I'll brush with a BBB, but sometimes I'll just leave it.

You will have to adjust the amount you use by trial and error, I think. The first time I did it, I used way too much, but after a few times, I was happy with it.