PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting to a new hair reality... Maintaining.

Little_Bird
August 25th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Hello fellow LHC'ers!

I was wondering right now... Most of us are growing lenght on our hair, but for most of us there is a goal at which we will eventually maintain our lenght by trimming.

I am still about over a year or growth from my goal, but then I think if after about 7 years of growing hair (or even less time) how it is to adjust yourself to the reality that you're not growing anymore, but trimming and maintaining. I ask because I always enjoyed a lot the pictures I took every month /and of course I will be able to get more pictures after I get to my goal, for hemline progress), but for us who dedicate so much time to growing hair and put so much into it, I wonder what it's like to meet the end of the road...

Just a tought :)

Sissy
August 25th, 2009, 11:12 AM
interesting post. Personally, I'd love to know that feeling! I wonder when I hit classical will I really want to stop growing? It would be great to just do micro trims and maintain my length. Or will I then when to grow longer :) Only time will tell I suppose. I imagine it must be a lovely feeling to be maintaining beautiful, healthy long hair at one's desired length.

cocolover
August 25th, 2009, 11:46 AM
I am curious about this also, as the longer I stay on this board, the longer my goal length gets :D My original goal was waist, then tailbone....now I am contemplating longer! I think it is all the gorgeous pics on here. I don't see long hair IRL, so initially it is shocking. Now seeing all these beautiful heads of hair makes me ambitious. So, I have wondered if the same thing happens for those with really long hair or if it changes when you start hitting classic and such.

Heidi_234
August 25th, 2009, 11:50 AM
I'm going to meet my goal within a year. I think I'll maintain for a while to gain thickness, but I still might be trimming less than I grow so it will get longer. I don't think I'll have a problem with that, because my goal is rather defined (unlike setting goal for terminal length), and also because I'm well aware that I'm sitting here with 6" of ends that are due for a trim. So it helps, it's in the head. :)
Also don't forget those who grew it longer and decided to cut back because the length started to get in the way. I personally feel like the ends result matters and try to convince myself to enjoy the journey, maybe you see it differently. :)

marikamt
August 25th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Hmmmmm... when I joined (not that long ago) I was in that nether region between APL and BSL. My first goal was BLS... I just got there and it doesn't seem that long :lol:
New goal, Waist... I have about 4 inches to go.... who know what will happen when I get there??

Delila
August 25th, 2009, 11:59 AM
I seem to be in a holding pattern. My cleansing routine is just that, routine. It really suits my needs, and that's all I want. I haven't done a microtrim in a while, and don't feel the need for one, so I'm just going to let things amble along at their own pace just to see what happens.

may1em
August 25th, 2009, 12:27 PM
It is kind of odd - I'm around iliac right now, and though I might like to grow to hip sometime, I've been maintaining between iliac and waist for about a year now. It's kind of strange to cut two inches at a trim and not have it be a major setback.

SimplyViki
August 25th, 2009, 12:30 PM
It is kind of odd - I'm around iliac right now, and though I might like to grow to hip sometime, I've been maintaining between iliac and waist for about a year now. It's kind of strange to cut two inches at a trim and not have it be a major setback.
Hmm... I thought iliac was considered hip around here. :confused: I'm right around there myself. Am I hip? Am I not? Am I still waist? :p I don't know!

Aisha25
August 25th, 2009, 12:39 PM
For me its sad to see the end of my road cause I know I go much longer than this but it is fun just concentrating on doing treatments.

nowxisxforever
August 25th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Well, I've found that pretty much every time I met a "goal" length, I wanted longer. So...I'm not maintaining. I haven't done any big trims in years, I might end up doing one back to Classic when my hair gets a bit longer.

Roseate
August 25th, 2009, 02:56 PM
I don't know if I'll ever really maintain. Though I like long hair, I also like change, and I can imagine myself perhaps growing to hip, then cutting to BSL and growing back, something like that. There's not one perfect length that I want to stay at forever, so I'll probably continue to go up and down.

marzipanthecat
August 25th, 2009, 03:00 PM
My hair is now a bit past the length I always wanted it to be (it was already there when I joined LHC!). Because I have decided to go for ankle length - I suspect I will probably want to go even longer - IF I ever get that long. Who knows? (I think it may be a nuisance to me after ankle length because I can't easily wear it loose without it dragging on the ground!)

Fiferstone
August 25th, 2009, 04:49 PM
I'm approaching hip, but the hemline is really whispy for the hip-length bits, so I'm probably going to maintain at hip to thicken it up for the next goal - classic length.

Quixii
August 25th, 2009, 05:28 PM
While I'm not anywhere near my goal yet, since my goal length seems like an honestly annoying length, I don't think I'll have much of a problem trimming back to somewhere and maintaining there. I maintained at almost-tailbone for a long time without realizing (but you're supposed to trim every so often, right? :rolleyes:) and it was never hard or disappointing. 'Course, that would be different since I wasn't purposely growing only until there or purposely keeping it that length.

JamieLeigh
August 25th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Well, I'm sort of doing both. I'm curious about my terminal length, but I find myself sort of maintaining around classic for the most part. I'm more fond of having a thick hemline than I am of going for an extreme length. I had nearly-knee length hair once, and I got there with no trimming over the course of nearly 7 years. I didn't like the look of it, and I'm determined that if I ever get there again, it'll be with a thick hemline. If I never get there, then I'll have a thick hemline at classic length, at least, which is still really long for where I live. :)

casmat
August 25th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Found a new website which I now use to get me henna from and my hair loves the moisturizing effect it has. It's *Link removed*

Keep growing:)

naselflee
August 25th, 2009, 07:01 PM
I'v been maintaining my length now for about 6 months because I want a straight hemline. But now seeing all the lovely ladies with classic length, I might stop the monthly trimmings. I don't know yet?:?

GlassEyes
August 26th, 2009, 05:40 AM
I'd imagine I'd just start trimming.

Though thinking seriously on it, it will be a bit odd. By the time I reach my goal, I'll have been growing for a large protion of my life, and I'll have to adjust. However, I've said in the past (and this sort of mirrors Roseate's post) that once I reach my goal, I'll either cut back to a length I was comfortable with, or grow until I reach a point that I WANT to cut back from. And then I'll probably just grow from there, cut back, blah blah blah.

Or maybe I'll maintain and start cutting out layers. I want layers, yes, bt not the ones I have now. xD; I dunno--I don't think I have the patience for regular trims.

Little_Bird
August 26th, 2009, 05:51 AM
Great replies on this thread =)

Yes, sometimes I also think that when I eventually hit classic lenght (and my hair will be thin on the ends by then I'm sure) I could either cut back to about tailbone for instant thick ends or try to trim regularly and see if I could atain them that way. But I don't know... getting to classic lenght will be a great thing for me, one I had been waiting for for more than 6 years (because I started from pixy and 6 months later I wanted classic lenght NOW) so I think it would be very dramatic for me to go short by then. I sometimes also think about going longer than classic (say, about 4 inches) and then trim all 4 inches back to classic, so it would get me instant thick ends as well. STILL... who knows if I can get to classic lenght, even more 4 inches past it, and even more with thick ends?... It's all brully in the future, one can only hope that everything turns out perfectly =)

But I guess the end of the road is only when you want, as Lady Godiva told me =) Long hair is such a rich field, and I do want to learn more styles and even try to improove more of my hair care (if that's possible, but I'm sure it is =P)

Great replies fellas :cheese:

Ruvie
August 26th, 2009, 02:41 PM
My goal is waist, and will be met very soon..but I feel classic will be my final goal...It's such a beautiful feminine length :)

EtherealOde
August 26th, 2009, 03:31 PM
I am hopeful of someday reaching classic, but reading your thread title made me think of another possibility that we may have to face. For some of us, terminal may be a lot shorter than we hope for, making that end of the road come a lot sooner than expected. I would be ok with a shorter length than classic as my goal (please let it be tailbone at the least though *prays hard*) but I want a thick hemline and not fairytale ends. Whenever I reach the end of my lengthening road I think it will be a bit sad as well as happy for reaching my goal. I know it won't really be the end, as my hair will always be growing. But knowing it won't be getting longer than a small amount before a maintaining trim is sure to be a bittersweet moment.