PDA

View Full Version : Growing out bangs

Mely
August 25th, 2009, 12:00 AM
I've decided to try growing out my bangs. They are just at the stage were they are slightly too long and need cutting. I've got them held back with two small plastic barrettes right now. I'm wondering if this looks ridiculous...but it feels so good to have them out of my face.

Does anyone have any tips for growing out bangs?

LittleOrca
August 25th, 2009, 12:03 AM
Just don't cut them! I grew out my bangs and I hated their strange stages, and there seemed to be a lot of them between eyebrow and chin. Keep at it, keep clipping, and hope it goes by fast. :)

NebraskaChick84
August 25th, 2009, 12:05 AM
when I started growing mine out I got a regular barrette and put them back with a bit of my back hair (to hold them in place) after yanking out a bunch of my hair I got the little silver clippies and used two to hold them back into my pony.

ETA: These are my favorites, only I got the plain silver ones (http://www.goody.com/Products/Styling%20Tools/Pins_and_Clips/Clips/Clips.aspx)

Heidi_234
August 25th, 2009, 02:13 AM
I grew out mine with the help of bobby pins. Not the best option, but I'll get rid of the damage as soon as they beyond long enough to stay in an updo. When I was maintaining bangs and there were too long I heat styled them rounder, made them shorter and bigger lol. But if you want to grow them out, heat styling would be a bad idea.

Lize
August 25th, 2009, 02:20 AM
Clip them up and forget about them! I don't experience any damage from bobby pins if I take them out carefully.

Medievalmaniac
August 25th, 2009, 03:46 AM
Not to hijack (well, OK, I'm totally hijacking, but it will be useful information for Mely, too! lol) I'm helping my daughter grow out half of her bangs (we cut a very thick fringe and it's doggone adorable, but also too hot on her forehead and she wants thinner ones). Anyhow, how do you pin back only part of the bang on a 5 year old so it stays all day even if she is frolicking? Bobby pins and barrettes aren't working, and headbands only stay in for about an hour before she yanks 'em out...! lol If anyone has experience with this, advice would be great!!

Bloodflower
August 25th, 2009, 03:51 AM
I think I am growing my bangs out right now. I haven't decided yet for sure but I haven't trimmed them for some weeks so they're too long to wear straight across my face.

I've been wearing my bangs in a sideswept way for about three weeks now. I have to use some product and heat styling to keep them in this way all day, but since they're just bangs I don't really care. Clipping the bangs away does look ridiculous on me so I had to find a softer look.

Aditi
August 25th, 2009, 04:00 AM
I am with you in growing out bangs, getting them was the worst hair mistake i have ever done :mad: I apply coconut oil which helps bangs to stick with other long hair and thus i get them out of my face.

Tap Dancer
August 25th, 2009, 05:45 AM
I grew my bangs out with help from headbands: http://goody.com/Products/Accessories/Headbands_and_Scarves/Sport/Sport.aspx

You can find nice cotton ones in almost any store these days. Unlike regular headbands, they won't hurt your head, don't slide around, and you can wear one all day. :) They look and feel better than barrettes, IMO.

The third pic in my sig is a nice silky one from Target. :)

Mely
August 25th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Thanks for sharing your stories and ideas. I feel inspired reading them. Right now I'm using two Goodie "stay put" clips to hold the bangs back. They are plastic and a brown tortoiseshell colour, so they don't really show up much in my hair. I think I will try some of those "stay put" head bands, too.

Medievalmaniac, maybe something from the line of Goodie stay puts would work for your daughter. They have rubbery parts that prevent them from slipping.

Maddy25
August 25th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Im growing out mine too! They are a little past my nose and if Im not wearing them side parted out of my eyes then I love to take a section of them and twist it back and pin. I love the way it looks <3

Periwinkle
August 25th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Not to hijack (well, OK, I'm totally hijacking, but it will be useful information for Mely, too! lol) I'm helping my daughter grow out half of her bangs (we cut a very thick fringe and it's doggone adorable, but also too hot on her forehead and she wants thinner ones). Anyhow, how do you pin back only part of the bang on a 5 year old so it stays all day even if she is frolicking? Bobby pins and barrettes aren't working, and headbands only stay in for about an hour before she yanks 'em out...! lol If anyone has experience with this, advice would be great!!

I'm growing my fringe at the moment (don't know that I'm growing it out, but it's waaaay too short to be seen down right now) and trust me, bobby pins are the way to go. I pinned my fringe up at 9am this morning and I've spent the whole day in London walking around in the wind and not a single strand has some down 10 hours later!

The trick is to pin them in crosses. Grab a section of hair (I do my whole fringe in two sections as one part is much shorter than the rest) and twist it back, then use one bobby pin to secure it to the rest of the hair (I find it works better if you put the rest of the hair up while you're doing this - you can always take it down after if you want). Then, take a second pin and put it so that they form an X. The second pin isn't to hold the hair - it's to hold the first pin in place.

I've been leaving my fringe up at night like this and when I get up in the morning, it's all still up, albeit a bit fuzzy. Trust me - it works!

Centifolia
August 25th, 2009, 12:40 PM
I'm growing out my bangs too. Now they are between my chin and my shoulders and I think the worst phase is almost gone.
I've used a lot of bobby pins, I've had sweet side bangs. Now I just french braid or leave them down. I think also that it is the part of my hair that grows faster.

eadwine
August 25th, 2009, 12:42 PM
I've decided to try growing out my bangs. They are just at the stage were they are slightly too long and need cutting. I've got them held back with two small plastic barrettes right now. I'm wondering if this looks ridiculous...but it feels so good to have them out of my face.

Does anyone have any tips for growing out bangs?

I have a few sections that I am growing longer. I am the kind that just uses hair spray and I have black kiddy click clacks in my bag for backup.

Mely
August 25th, 2009, 12:46 PM
I'm definitely going to pick up some bobby pins and head bands today.

When I clip the bangs back, a few hairs usually escape, and this keeps it from looking too severe (I hope). Maybe I could keep just a really really thin bang--just a whisper. However, I worry that I will look like "the little girl with the little curl in the middle of her forehead". Guess I shouldn't worry so much. I'm too old to be worrying about what people think. That is one of the advantages of getting older. :)

paintedmuse
August 25th, 2009, 01:01 PM
I'm growing mine out too... they are now just below chin length. I know most people would say that they are already grown out, however, they're NOT.
They are starting to stay back on their own in updos, but after a few hours they start falling down again and it really is annoying. And when I have my hair down you can see them as well. I hate them. Have hated them ever since I've started growing them out a year ago. Will hate them until they are at my shoulders.
(sorry, I just had to rant :o)

Lady Mary
August 25th, 2009, 02:34 PM
I'm right there with you growing mine out as well. To keep mine in check, I have been putting it behind my glasses, rather than over my glasses (since it is too short to go behind my ears yet.) Having it trapped behind the glasses has kept it from getting in my face.

redneckprincess
August 26th, 2009, 08:22 AM
I am starting to grow out my bangs (for a few months anyways) since everytime I cut them they wind up to short, I dont like not having bangs but as I look through older pics, I seem to have long bangs in most of them. So I dont know how long I will let them get for now but I dont think I will cut them until the end of the year or so

templeofvenus
August 26th, 2009, 10:13 AM
I am growing mine out yet again lol and wear a hairband every day! thats all I can do just now as my fringe is still too short to twist back and clip :confused: I have many different hairbands from broad ones to skinny and plain to dressy, they are great

Mely
August 27th, 2009, 01:13 AM
Is there anyone who wears a hair band while their hair is in a bun? When I do this I look like a cafeteria lady or a washer woman.

Zindell
August 27th, 2009, 01:38 AM
I'm growing mine out too... they are now just below chin length. I know most people would say that they are already grown out, however, they're NOT.
They are starting to stay back on their own in updos, but after a few hours they start falling down again and it really is annoying. And when I have my hair down you can see them as well. I hate them. Have hated them ever since I've started growing them out a year ago. Will hate them until they are at my shoulders.
(sorry, I just had to rant :o)

Ah it's an annoying stage isn't it? I am right there with you... I gather it will only be about 2 months until they finally stay in updos.

I went to a yoga class some days ago, and the bangs kept falling out of my ponytail giving me a thick drape in front of my eyes so I couldn't see the yoga teachers instructions well. Argh!

But soon. We are there so soon! I'll be happy when I can pull my former bangs back over my shoulder. :)

Upside Down
August 27th, 2009, 04:44 AM
I have bangs to grow out again. I had a bleached sections of my hair that were just framing my face a long time ago, when I had bangs too. By now I can say that I have grown out bangs, but the hair at the bleached sections stayed very damaged and would not take up henna or indigo. I kept cutting it bit by bit, till it hit the same lenght as the bangs, but the bleach was still there. A few days ago, I cut the bleached section AND the bangs back to healthy hair. I did not see how to do it without cutting the bangs that would make any sense hair-style wise... so there.

I am happy I did it, as now I don't have two coloured hair, but once again I have to grow out bangs. So, hello everybody :)

Mely
August 28th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Well I've worn my bangs clipped back with those little spring clips for the last few days. At first I thought I looked really strange but I'm getting used to it now. I'm going to grow those darn bangs out. My hair is frizzy and has weird curls so I had to blow them dry to straighten them. Now I don't have to bother with that. It is a lot easier to just clip them back, and not damaging either.

cindy58
August 28th, 2009, 10:05 PM
I french braided mine back and then fastened them with a barrette into a half up. That worked pretty well.

MemSahib
September 3rd, 2009, 04:10 PM
I'm glad to see this thread from only a few days ago. I think I've decided to grow mine out, too. My face is a little short (like the rest of me which is quite short :rolleyes: ) and bangs visually shorten it even further. I have some cloth headbands, homemade, which help a lot but I am finding that pulling them into a Dutch braid starting at my forehead is working best for going out anywhere. At least, so far that is what I am thinking. Oddly, since I've been pulling the bangs back I've gotten two updo compliments on a basic bun done up high at the crown, which rarely ever happens. (The compliments, I mean, not the updo, LOL.) I hope that means I'm doing something right.

Luckysock
September 3rd, 2009, 05:08 PM
I'm going through this too - and have been in this boat more than once. I found that this time around cutting the bangs on an angle and wearing them side-swept really made the process a lot less painful (so far - they are only at the bridge of my nose so far) They were pretty thick, so my hairdresser has thinned them out and I'm trying to slowly blend them into the rest of my hair. I also clip mine back, but feel like its too childish for work :S

SheaLynne
September 3rd, 2009, 10:21 PM
I'm on the fence right now as to whether to grow the bangs out, but they are getting to that "need a trim" length, so I am clipping them back with bobbie pins around the house, and trying to do side-swept when I go out.

Good luck with yours!

Centifolia
September 4th, 2009, 02:45 AM
argh! Now that I am between chin and shoulder I think that is one the hardest parts to pass through and it seems to take forever. Besides they are growing very fast I think I need some inchs to my hair look acceptable. Until that I'm playing around with them... (they already stay in some updos ayei!)

templeofvenus
September 4th, 2009, 03:35 AM
Is there anyone who wears a hair band while their hair is in a bun? When I do this I look like a cafeteria lady or a washer woman.

I think skinny hairbands with a ponytail look nice lots of people wear that round where I live, never seen them worn with a bun though :)

MemSahib
September 4th, 2009, 06:43 AM
Try this link (http://www.songsmyth.com/hairstyles.html) and scroll to the bottom. The lady is wearing a scarf and a bun and it is very pretty, I think.

Lilli
September 4th, 2009, 07:38 AM
I use simple little barrettes that don't have that curved spring, b/c those hurt my hair. I use the ones that have just a plastic bar and a little knobby latch. I wait till my hair is 75% dry and comb just the bangs straight back and clip them into place about 2 inches back from my hair line. I also just got some satin headbands that are just ribbons made into a loop with stretchy elastic underneath - very comfortable. Mine are covering my eyes and I figure about 3 months till they stay behind my ear (all I care about.)

Wind
September 4th, 2009, 09:15 AM
I don't care for the little V-shaped snap clips because of the sharp edges. I'm maybe growing out my bangs/can't afford a haircut right now, so I make a deep side part and then use a bobby pin or two to pin them back, with a little bit of a pomp. Don't care for the slicked back look on myself! :p

silverspun
September 6th, 2009, 10:17 PM
For growing out my bangs - the hardest stage is when they tickle your nose- made me want to grab the scissors. I've had to refrain myself a lot since feb 09.. they are now lip-length at shortest- i side part them and try to keep them interesting without cutting or hiding them.

Mely
September 28th, 2009, 01:39 AM
I'm still growing my bangs. I clip them to the side with tiny claw clips. The claw clips don't flatten my hair and are almost invisible since they are so small. Picture of the clips: http://www.beautyofnewyork.com/shopping/E6S4230407KC0930.htm

merseaone
September 28th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Try parting your hair on the side (you can start your part near the middle then go to the side) then cut them in layers and round brush them to gove them some poof. Looks much better than bobby pins and plastic barretts. I've tried them all. I have bangs now and I can't decide if I want to keep then and curl them into a high poof or let them grow out with a just a little fringe. I can never make up my mind, I'll grow it for a while and then one day I get the scissors and layer the top again. I find that if I poof the top I can go two days or so without washing otherwise I have to wash every day.

merseaone
September 28th, 2009, 07:09 AM
Get some of those fancy plastic bands that are thin. In the old time the women decorated the front of their hair with ribbons and such so this might be a good way to do it.

elianne
September 28th, 2009, 01:29 PM
I've currently got thick, longish bangs that I'm growing out (they are so much trouble!)

Some of my favorite options include bobby pinning them up (so they give a little "pouf" at the top), and wearing hair scarves. Hair scarves are great, in my opinion, because they conceal a multitude of things like greasy hair and funny crinkled bangs.

I was given a headband from LuluLemon a couple of months ago as a gift that works pretty well too. It has a "sticky" slip-proof backing that helps keep everything in place.

Debra83
September 28th, 2009, 01:44 PM
I'm still deciding whether or not to grow them out, or trim them because they are now at that decision point. I like the way they hide my wrinkles on my forehead, but they are a pain as well. I've been wearing them to the side as they've gotten longer, but I don't think I like that look on me.

A girl came into the bank a couple of weeks ago that I had never seen before, and she had beautiful long black hair that was thick and layered, and she had bangs straight across and did it ever suit her. I really liked the look. sigh. I just can't decide right now whether to grow them out or not.

Fairlight63
September 28th, 2009, 03:10 PM
That is my problem also. I want to grow out my bangs until they get long enough to be a "pain" then in a weak moment I cut them.
That is just what happened, I was wanting to grow them out, they was down to my nose, then on Sat. night I cut them short again, now I am sorry again.
I debate in my mind all the time whether to have bangs or not. I think that I look better with them, but they bug me no end getting in my eyes & tickling my face, etc. Plus I have to curl them or they go every which way.

I think that I need to hide my sissors.

Debra83
September 28th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Since posting, and for the last 2 weeks (I imposed the two week rule on myself, BUT still couldn't decide), I've been debating and debating. Well, I just took the plunge and lopped them again. I'll worry about growing them out NEXT time!!!! I'm still dealing with all kinds of layers anyways!!!! May as well feel more comfortable!!!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2126&pictureid=51428

kmangus
September 28th, 2009, 05:03 PM
I fishtail my bangs, but only since i gave up heat ;) If you want a picture let me know!