PDA

View Full Version : Whoa! I just spent $35 on hair stuff!!

WhitsEnd
August 24th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Ok so I have never been in a health food store. I went today to pick up some coconut oil and some other things. I got the oil and some hair vitimins and the a tiny bottle of something that the sales lady told me was good for dry scalp. It was $35.00 for all of it. So I paid the lady and went on my merry way. I just hope that the coconut oil is worth what I paid.

I don't know if I just bought the wrong stuff and could have gotten it cheaper somewhere else, or if it is just that expensive.

Also, I bought virgin coconut oil. Is this what I was supposed to get?

rexy
August 24th, 2009, 06:01 PM
I use extra virgin cold pressed organic coconut oil. You probably could have gotten it cheaper online, but I wouldn't worry about it. Coconut oil is def. worth the cost! I started buying it by the gallon to save money.
This is my favorite brand
http://nutiva.com/

RancheroTheBee
August 24th, 2009, 06:09 PM
My coconut oil was about 15$, and it's still 1/3rd full after a year and a half. What you spent sounds about right, actually.

Longlocks3
August 24th, 2009, 07:10 PM
I agree. I spent around $15 for my virgin coconut oil at a health food store. I do once a week heavy oilings and a couple times a week normal oilings and it's still more than half full after about 4 months.

SimplyViki
August 24th, 2009, 07:32 PM
:lol: For some, $35 is just the beginning.

Aeon F.
August 24th, 2009, 07:47 PM

Seriously, wait till you start seeing the bills for fancy hair toy shopping!! :laugh:

NiAosSi
August 24th, 2009, 07:57 PM
My thoughts exactly. :)

basketcase413
August 24th, 2009, 08:16 PM
yep...I spent $40 yesterday on hair toys!!! Granted I only do that once or twice a year....but still......LOL

cocolover
August 24th, 2009, 09:15 PM
$35, a good bargain :D I spent $50 at vitacost.com on hair stuff yesterday!

Sissy
August 24th, 2009, 09:19 PM
I use extra virgin cold pressed organic coconut oil. You probably could have gotten it cheaper online, but I wouldn't worry about it. Coconut oil is def. worth the cost! I started buying it by the gallon to save money.
This is my favorite brand
http://nutiva.com/

yes, I highly recommend Nutiva Coconut Oil as it's unrefined, cold-pressed, organic coconut oil. I get the 54 oz. jar off Amazon. They had free shipping on it when I purchased it. If you ever do go with a larger size such as 54 oz. just be prepared to store it in your fridge so it stays fresh. When you are ready to use it let it get room temperature and spoon some out into a smaller storage jar to keep in your bedroom, bathroom, etc.

Sissy
August 24th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Ok so I have never been in a health food store. I went today to pick up some coconut oil and some other things. I got the oil and some hair vitimins and the a tiny bottle of something that the sales lady told me was good for dry scalp. It was $35.00 for all of it. So I paid the lady and went on my merry way. I just hope that the coconut oil is worth what I paid.

I don't know if I just bought the wrong stuff and could have gotten it cheaper somewhere else, or if it is just that expensive.

Also, I bought virgin coconut oil. Is this what I was supposed to get?

I'm curious as to what is in the tiny little bottle that's supposed to help dry scalp? Also, with regards to hair vitamins I find myself doing better off to take a really good multi-vitamin (I take the GNC Women's Ultra) and then supplement it with hair minerals, vitamins, and foods that I feel I need but don't carry a risk of causing harm. Sometimes, the special hair vitamins, in my opinion, can be packed full off too much and could even contain things that could be harmful. Take horsetail for example... yes it contains Silica/Silicon which is very good for your hair but you'd be much better to get your silicon naturally through eating cucumbers or beets as the FDA lists horsetail as an herb of undefined safety. Horsetail is high in selenium as well as silicon. Too much selenium may cause birth defects. Pregnant women should not use this herb. It also contains the chemical equisetine that in large amounts is a nerve poison. Children have reportedly suffered non-fatal reactions after using the hollow stem as a toy blowgun and ingesting the juices.

So, I prefer to steer away from supplements that could have potentially negative side effects. I take my multi, biotin, fish oil for the omega 3 (you could take Flaxseed Oil if your a vegetarian), Evening Primrose for the omega 6, and MSM. I don't feel the need to take a vitamin that's chock full of other ingredients of unidentified safety. If you have a decent multi it will have the right amounts of B vitamins, iron, and other nutrients. Drink green tea, eat protein like salmon or chicken (flaxseed, canola oil, and soy also have essential fatty acids), dark green veggies and ruffage in general especially cucumbers, soybeans, alfalfa sprouts, bell peppers (for the silica), whole grains, low-fat dairy (calcium is important for hair growth).

The supplement industry will try to get you to pay a lot for all these supplements, some of which may not even be safe, when all you really need is a diversified diet and a good multi-vitamin (after doing some comparisons I believe GNC Women's Ultra is a good one).

Hope this helps.

juliaxena
August 24th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Well....I spent almost a 100 euro worth for hair toys the other day...In my defence, I'm a newbie and had no hair toys at all before. And it was love at first sight with aaaaall those toys. And now I can't get this out of my head:

Hair toys, hair toys, what you gonna do, what you gonna do, when they come for you...

I this guilt talking?:poot: