PDA

View Full Version : Rapunzel Disney movie?

nowxisxforever
August 24th, 2009, 05:16 PM
http://www.disneyanimation.com/projects/rapunzel/index.html

I just saw this. Anyone else heard of it? What do you think?

Stephichan
August 24th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Ooh, how interesting! This is the first I've heard of it, but I'm going to keep my eyes open for more information/updates.

Kiraela
August 24th, 2009, 05:35 PM
I vaguely recall someone mentioning this a year or so ago - I think one of our members here was one of the models used to give the animators an idea of how superlong hair moves. I will dig and see what I can come up with.

mira-chan
August 24th, 2009, 05:40 PM
I vaguely recall someone mentioning this a year or so ago - I think one of our members here was one of the models used to give the animators an idea of how superlong hair moves. I will dig and see what I can come up with.
Yup. It was nicolezoie that was the model for this.

Here's the previous thread. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=4650)

Yayasmurf
August 24th, 2009, 05:41 PM
I have several nieces who will love this movie. Thanks for the information. :)

Over the past year many of my friends have started calling me Rapunzel. I just smile. I wish they could see some of the really beautiful Rapunzel's we have here at LHC. I'm not even close to being a true Rapunzel. But I do love being called one :p

Kiraela
August 24th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Thanks Mira! I was digging that up while you posted!

freznow
August 24th, 2009, 06:11 PM
I read nicolezoie's thread, and I can't wait till it comes out, it will be so much fun to see.

RancheroTheBee
August 24th, 2009, 06:14 PM
:eek: Oooh! I didn't hear about this. How thrilling.

LittleOrca
August 24th, 2009, 06:15 PM
$10 it will have a Disney sugar coating on the story. :P

No kids, no fall from the tower and making the prince blind, no tears from Rapunzel to cure him... :drama: We'll have to wait and see.

horseprincess
August 24th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Wow thats exciting... I'll definitely being seeing it when it comes out in theatres! Because of the hair of course =P.

SimplyViki
August 24th, 2009, 06:46 PM

No kids, no fall from the tower and making the prince blind, no tears from Rapunzel to cure him... :drama: We'll have to wait and see.
Aww, but those were the best parts!! :(

Oh, and thank you mira-chan for posting the link to the old Rapunzel thread, it was a pleasure to read, and now I'm all excited for this movie to come out. :D

ETA: OMG, OMG, and I'm super excited for the frog prince movie that's linked on the same Disney link the OP posted. :D The Frog Prince is my favorite. Plus I love frogs. :happydance:

Wavelength
August 24th, 2009, 06:58 PM

No bet. Look what they did to Little Mermaid.

Yeah yeah, I know it's marketed to kids and they don't want to show frightening scenes, but still... I like a little less sugar and more substance to my fairy tales.

That said, of course I'll go see it. :p

nowxisxforever
August 24th, 2009, 07:51 PM
No bet. Look what they did to Little Mermaid.

Yeah yeah, I know it's marketed to kids and they don't want to show frightening scenes, but still... I like a little less sugar and more substance to my fairy tales.

That said, of course I'll go see it. :p

I must be a bad adult-- I love the sugary sweet stories. When I was little, Ursula was too much for me, and so was the scene where Simba's daddy dies, and I'm pretty much the same now. I can handle them, but I don't LIKE them. I'm watching something to be entertained, not to feel my heart tear in two. *blush*

SheaLynne
August 24th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Ooh, I hadn't heard of this...I've been hoping for the perfect movie to take my dd to for her first *big* theater movie that she might remember. This will be PERFECT!!! (Her hair is tailbone length, and she says she never wants to cut her hair--but she's 4, so we'll see!)

LittleOrca
August 24th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Lets hope when the witch chops her hair, she leave SOME length on it... I will cry if she goes from 10 miles of hair to a bob.

LittleOrca
August 24th, 2009, 08:58 PM
I must be a bad adult-- I love the sugary sweet stories. When I was little, Ursula was too much for me, and so was the scene where Simba's daddy dies, and I'm pretty much the same now. I can handle them, but I don't LIKE them. I'm watching something to be entertained, not to feel my heart tear in two. *blush*

Sometimes its nice to have a happy ending once in a while. I remember seeing the Disney people in an interview about The Little Mermaid saying "We knew we had to change the ending," and they chuckled. Sometimes wonder if Disney is a prisoner of its own tight little perfect image box :hmm: then I remember crap like High School Musical and laugh at them. :D

nowxisxforever
August 24th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Lets hope when the witch chops her hair, she leave SOME length on it... I will cry if she goes from 10 miles of hair to a bob.

Oh, I hope so...

Sissy
August 24th, 2009, 09:49 PM
this will be a good one to see :) I'm excited.

theskeletonkey
August 24th, 2009, 11:03 PM
:D! I'm so excited.
I'm a huge dork for Disney movies. I can't wait!

Wavelength
August 25th, 2009, 01:10 AM

Hrm, then you probably shouldn't ever read the Fairy Tale Series (edited by Terri Windling and Ellen Datlow).

Ryanne
August 25th, 2009, 03:40 AM
I did hear of it a while ago, no idea how. I'm pretty excited, according to Wikipedia Kristin Chenoweth will provide the voice of Rapunzel, and I loved her voice in Wicked.

RuthieAnne
August 25th, 2009, 09:26 AM
If she is, then I'll be t we will have a few new Disney princess songs to add to our collection. :-) I am also excited about Rapunzel, but I just wish they had given her red hair. It would have been awesome to see a princess with Long red hair walking around Disney Land.

I was upset when they shortened Giselle's hair after she came to our world. It was almost floor length in Andelasia but when she comes through they cut half of it off. They cut off even more when she went to the ball. :-(

God bless,

~Ruthie aka Rapunzel :-p

Little_Bird
August 25th, 2009, 09:30 AM
I've been waiting for this movie to come out for ages!!!

I'm so excited =D =D =D =D I love Disney princesses! =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D

LovingLife
August 25th, 2009, 09:30 AM
it looks cute! Hoping it does not have disney cliche!

Ryanne
August 25th, 2009, 09:33 AM
I was upset when they shortened Giselle's hair after she came to our world. It was almost floor length in Andelasia but when she comes through they cut half of it off. They cut off even more when she went to the ball. :-(

It also went curly all of the sudden, that killed some lenght too.

LittleOrca
August 25th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Found this for all you ladies. I assume this is the length (http://sbase.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/rapunzel.jpg) her hair will be cut off at since they have to market Rapunzel dolls and no little girl wants a doll with a bob (lest she cuts it herself like half the dolls will be anways, lol.

LittleOrca
August 25th, 2009, 11:31 AM
This was apparently a concept drawing (http://www.aintitcool.com/image/ru5.jpg)

Kind of ridiculous (http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd10/tagblog/rapunzel.jpg), but it's cute at the same time (http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2009/07/31/rapunzel-concept-art.jpg)!

LittleOrca
August 25th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Found another one (http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q221/kidesmeralda/rAPUNZEL.gif), this one from a Spanish Disney site.

Renbirde
August 25th, 2009, 11:35 AM
BWAHAHA! (http://www.disneyanimation.com/projects/rapunzel/visdev/visdev02.html) The look on his face! :rollin: Tis a shame the girl doesn't seem to know (http://www.disneyanimation.com/projects/rapunzel/visdev/visdev03.html)any updos... But being a Disney princess, she indubitably has Strands of Steel Insta-Untangle Hair. ;) Lucky girl-- I'm envious. She'd just better hope he doesn't step on it.

LittleOrca
August 25th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Lots more stuff here (http://fairytalenewsblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/disneys-rapunzel-still-unbraided.html)for the people counting the days til this comes out. :)

Newniepg
August 25th, 2009, 11:39 AM
cute at the same time (http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2009/07/31/rapunzel-concept-art.jpg)

She needs to learn a rope braid for that one I think. :D

I am really looking forward to seeing this. I have a daughter so I have a valid excuse to go! Yay!

Wavelength
August 25th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Wait, how did she get out of the tower to wash her hair in a waterfall?

I thought the whole point of needing a prince to rescue her was that she couldn't leave her tower...:confused:

LittleOrca
August 25th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Wait, how did she get out of the tower to wash her hair in a waterfall?

I thought the whole point of needing a prince to rescue her was that she couldn't leave her tower...:confused:

Looks like they get out and have an adventure or something. I don't know, I have not read the plot, but this IS Disney... If they can leave out that Hera didn't birth Hercules, he had a family and killed them, and add in a lot of other crap, I am sure they will mess up this fairytale and make it more... marketable.

Wavelength
August 25th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Looks like they get out and have an adventure or something. I don't know, I have not read the plot, but this IS Disney... If they can leave out that Hera didn't birth Hercules, he had a family and killed them, and add in a lot of other crap, I am sure they will mess up this fairytale and make it more... marketable.

Hah, I knew there was a reason I decided to skip that Hercules movie!

JamieLeigh
August 25th, 2009, 06:34 PM
How awesome! Looks like it's going to be CG from the look of the photo. :D I smell a mother-daughters-grandmother outing coming up next Christmas. :drama::cheer:

GlassEyes
August 26th, 2009, 05:51 AM
Hey--I liked Hercules, even if it was completely inaccurate! So what if Philoctetes was a satyr, and not his apprentice, and who cares if they skipped that whole Argonauts thing...and merged the fates and the gorgons...

Okay, iffy, but whatever. It'd be a rather short movie if he was just rescing her from the tower though--and I doubt it'll be a straight 'OHMIGODTHEPRINCERESCUEDMEFROMTHE TOWER' deal.

GlassEyes
August 26th, 2009, 05:55 AM
WAITWAITWAIT----IS THIS IN 2D or 3D? O_____O;;

I'll go see it if it's 2D in theatres. I wasn't that interested, but if it is, now I am. GIVE ME BACK MY CHILDHOOD, DISNEY.

Susana
August 26th, 2009, 07:22 AM

Lol, that would probably be a bad idea for a children's movie

Susana
August 26th, 2009, 07:53 AM

To be fair, my boyfriend won't see The Hunchback of Notre Dame because he's heard of all the "creative licenses" that Disney took with the story. He read the book and knows quiet a bit about how the author slaved himself to create such a literary masterpiece. So he feels like the Dsiney modifications are brutal and that if they were going to treat the story so disrespectfully they should not have made it at all.:) I don't know much about the Rapunzel story, but I hope they won't corrupt it much for you :) (I've been to movies of books I've read and been pretty dissapointed)

heatherdazy
August 26th, 2009, 08:34 AM
SPOILER ALERT:
I read that they have her cut it all off then donate it to children like a LOL type thing.

Nightshade
August 26th, 2009, 08:39 AM
SPOILER ALERT:
I read that they have her cut it all off then donate it to children like a LOL type thing.

I was wondering how they'd ruin this particular story- looks like that'll be at least one way :nono:

freznow
August 26th, 2009, 08:54 AM
SPOILER ALERT:

Eww... I don't mind terribly the sweetening up of death/injury/evil, but (this proves my LHCness) that's just wrong! Now a bunch of Rapunzel like children are going to watch the movie and get their hair cut for LOL!

LittleOrca
August 26th, 2009, 10:31 AM
To be fair, my boyfriend won't see The Hunchback of Notre Dame because he's heard of all the "creative licenses" that Disney took with the story. He read the book and knows quiet a bit about how the author slaved himself to create such a literary masterpiece. So he feels like the Dsiney modifications are brutal and that if they were going to treat the story so disrespectfully they should not have made it at all.:) I don't know much about the Rapunzel story, but I hope they won't corrupt it much for you :) (I've been to movies of books I've read and been pretty dissapointed)

Eh some sugar coatings I can handle. I suppose the Hercules one wasn't so bad only because I got to see the look of :shocked: on my classmates faces in my Classical Mythology class when they found out Disney had lied to them. :rollin:

Redheaded Raven
August 26th, 2009, 11:16 AM
I hope that they don't ruin the story with a LOL thrust to the plot.

It is funny how that they have to "sanitize" the stories nowadays, when all of the old fairy tales were so bloody to keep the children in line. :rolleyes:

Susana
August 26th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Eh some sugar coatings I can handle. I suppose the Hercules one wasn't so bad only because I got to see the look of :shocked: on my classmates faces in my Classical Mythology class when they found out Disney had lied to them. :rollin:

LOL yeah nothing like studying mythology to find a whole bunch of disturbing yet surprisingly enjoyable stories :p

Nightshade
August 26th, 2009, 12:25 PM
:lol: I was complaining about Disney endings to movies to a coworker today and she'd never read the actual story of The Little Mermaid. The look on her face when I told her the real ending was priceless. :shocked:

GlassEyes
August 26th, 2009, 12:34 PM
I haven't read it yet either, but I looked it up a while ago...

I seriously didn't think it was THAT different--I thought the characters wold be exaggerated and such, but jeez. @_@ She, like, reverse-Aphroditied.

Renbirde
August 26th, 2009, 12:48 PM

It is funny how that they have to "sanitize" the stories nowadays, when all of the old fairy tales were so bloody to keep the children in line. :rolleyes:
Tell me about it. Have you read the original Snow White? Talk about escalating revenge!

Redheaded Raven
August 26th, 2009, 12:54 PM
LOL yeah nothing like studying mythology to find a whole bunch of disturbing yet surprisingly enjoyable stories :p

I for one LOVE mythology always have,
Give me a good book on mythology = :D

Redheaded Raven
August 26th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Tell me about it. Have you read the original Snow White? Talk about escalating revenge!

Do you mean, that it was her mother in the original? Then yes, I had

Ruvie
August 26th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Totally random here..but I'm LOVING they went off the cliche with blond hair gave her green eyes and not blue!Not enough green eyed girls in Disney!! Yaaa green eyes! (i have boring brown ones :( )

Renbirde
August 26th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Do you mean that it was her mother in the original then yes I had
I was actually thinking more of the beheading... and what got done with the head.

Wavelength
August 26th, 2009, 03:48 PM

Having an LOL plot would seriously suck! I hope they're not doing that. :mad:

Many of the old fairy tales weren't really for children at all. They were meant for adult audiences, especially tales like the Sleeping Beauty in the Wood -- which featured the princess waking up by giving birth to twins. Her prince didn't stop with just a kiss.

It's not until the Victorian age that the tales were sanitized and turned into "nursery tales".

Rebelkat
August 26th, 2009, 04:33 PM
SPOILER ALERT:
First off, where'd you find that information? I'm just curious cause I can't find anything on it. Secondly: OMG! WTF? WHY WHY WHY? Are they getting kickbacks from LOL or something?

Redheaded Raven
August 27th, 2009, 01:21 AM
I was wondering about that source as well. I hope that it is not true.

As far as the fairy tales, yes they were definitely more for adults. I read the Brs Grimm original years ago and :shocked: They were seriously scary.... I guess that horror has always had a thrill for some folks.

Zindell
August 27th, 2009, 03:31 AM
Looking forward to the movie!

And wow nicolezoie! That must have been quite an experience! :)

Redheaded Raven
August 27th, 2009, 03:50 AM
I was actually thinking more of the beheading... and what got done with the head.
Well I remember the red hot shoes and the step mother dancing to death in them, but not about a head?? So what do you know that I don't? :D

zombi
August 27th, 2009, 04:04 AM
Aww, but those were the best parts!! :(

Oh, and thank you mira-chan for posting the link to the old Rapunzel thread, it was a pleasure to read, and now I'm all excited for this movie to come out. :D

ETA: OMG, OMG, and I'm super excited for the frog prince movie that's linked on the same Disney link the OP posted. :D The Frog Prince is my favorite. Plus I love frogs.
Yeah, I'm excited about Rapunzel, but I'm more excited about the Princess & the Frog. It's a return to hand animation as opposed to CGI, and I really like that this film will present the first black Disney Princess. It's about friggin time! :happydance:

Renbirde
August 27th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Well I remember the red hot shoes and the step mother dancing to death in them, but not about a head?? So what do you know that I don't? :D
Aack. I must be mixing up my tales. I just went to look up the quote and I can't find it! I'll keep looking-- I really thought it was part of SW. :justy: Now I need to figure out where it's actually from... It's definitely one of the Evil stepmother, stepdaughter-runs-away-to-the-woods types...:hatchet:

GlennaGirl
August 27th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Aack. I must be mixing up my tales. I just went to look up the quote and I can't find it! I'll keep looking-- I really thought it was part of SW. :justy: Now I need to figure out where it's actually from... It's definitely one of the Evil stepmother, stepdaughter-runs-away-to-the-woods types...:hatchet:

You know, I remember the same thing. She had to dance in them until she was dead. But I thought that was Cinderella.

Belledandy
August 27th, 2009, 02:54 PM
From the Wikipedia:

"Keane also promises that he’s going back to Rapunzel’s literary origins to do a traditional, character-driven fairy tale that speaks to a modern audience. “It’s a story of the need for each person to become who they are supposed to be and for a parent to set them free so they can become that. It will be a musical and a comedy and have a lot of heart and sincerity."

While I'm actually excited to see the movie (Beauty and the Beast is my favorite Disney movie) I have to wonder how far back they went to come up with the plot. I'm guessing the cautionary tale of "get pregnant and I'll kick you out" won't be present.

LittleOrca
August 27th, 2009, 06:02 PM
I remember in the Red Shoes someone danced to death... but I don't remeber that in Cinderella, I do remember though she went to three balls and not just one. We need a Fairy Tales Thread, lol

LittleOrca
August 27th, 2009, 06:06 PM
In fact, here we go! A Fairy Tale Thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=32148). :D

82exoticbeauty
August 28th, 2009, 02:57 PM
I have seen it on youtube, it's called Rapunzel! You can look it up at http://www.imdb.com - INTERNET MOVIE DATA BASE and it looks like it will be out on DECEMBER 2010 of release USA! Rapunzel has been my favorite! But sometimes the youtube people post movies to watch it unless the movies won't get taken out of youtube!:)

soopahgrover
July 29th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Hi everybody,

I just saw this in my Twitterfeed, and thought I'd come over here to break the news. Little did I know y'all were already talking about it a year ago.

There's a short video with clips from the film on YouTube now, and it has a release date of November 24th, which must be Thanksgiving weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awlBswjJC-g

PS Why do the directors look like soap opera stars?