PDA

View Full Version : How much to trim? With pic and poll

jivete
August 24th, 2009, 05:04 PM
So I'm planning a trim Sept 3rd and I wanted to get opinions on how much to trim. Goal is waist with thick hem (not fairytale).

I'd give more info but I don't want to influence opinions by saying too much. :D I want honest opinions of how much you all think I should cut. See pic below.

Thanks!

ETA: Arrrgh, poll was supposed to say, less than 0.5" not, Less than 1.5" hopefully I can edit...

http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee322/jivete/08_24_09b.jpg

Fillette
August 24th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Your hair looks good and I think that even the tiniest trim can have amazing results. I voted 0.5". Then later, if you decide to trim more, you can. :)
My :twocents:

horseprincess
August 24th, 2009, 06:44 PM
I voted 0.5, your hair looks to be in good shape.

Roseate
August 24th, 2009, 07:19 PM
I voted 1", but I think I really mean .75" or so. From that photo it looks like there's about 3/4" of ends that are lighter color and noticeably more sparse, I'd cut right above those for a thick hemline, since that's your goal. Looking good! :)

wintersun99
August 24th, 2009, 07:49 PM

Shiva
August 24th, 2009, 07:57 PM
I voted 1.5 inches. That would make it really nice and you could probably grow it back in a month tops.

LittleOrca
August 24th, 2009, 08:02 PM
I voted 1, but that is only if you really want to cut it. I think it could be fine with less

manderly
August 24th, 2009, 08:07 PM
I voted 1.5", which would cut the little stragglers off and give you a superb even hemline....if that's your goal ;)

TammySue
August 24th, 2009, 08:23 PM
I voted for 1". Let us know how much you decide to trim. And pics, we want pics! :D

GoddesJourney
August 24th, 2009, 08:28 PM
I voted 1.5" because it would probably give you the hemline you're looking for. I just did that with mine and I'm totally happy with it. The way I see it, cutting is only to make the ends and hemline the way I want them. If I cut too little, I lost length for no reason and I won't be happy with it. If I cut enough to make the ends look good, the loss of length was completely worth it and it will "grow faster" (increase in length faster) because the damaged ends will stop continuing up the length and breaking off.

rexy
August 24th, 2009, 08:48 PM
I voted 1.5", which would cut the little stragglers off and give you a superb even hemline....if that's your goal ;)

I voted 1" but I agree^^^

Sissy
August 24th, 2009, 09:52 PM
I voted 0.5 because I don't think it's looking all that bad at the ends :)

OhioLisa
August 24th, 2009, 10:25 PM
I voted for cheese, because I don't see a need for a trim. :cheese:

magpielaura
August 25th, 2009, 04:25 AM
I think it depends how often you plan to trim. If this is your once-a-year trim we are talking about then an inch or even a little more would be a good amount to grow to your blunt goal. If you trim every 2 months, half an inch or less would be better.
The ends don't look damaged, so its all down to the hemline you want now. You could trim very little on the way to waist, and then maintain at that length with monthly trims to get the hemline you like if you prefer.

So now I don't know what to vote...I'm more for tiny regular trims for myself at the moment so I'll vote for 0.5

Vrushali
August 25th, 2009, 07:37 AM
I voted 1". I think it will give you a nice thick hemline :)...love the color btw!

yogachic
August 25th, 2009, 07:40 AM
I voted 1.5. That would get you a thick hemlime back again, then if your not oiling, you should start oiling, it's kept my splits away since i cut 3 months ago.

Katze
August 25th, 2009, 07:45 AM
I think it depends how often you plan to trim. If this is your once-a-year trim we are talking about then an inch or even a little more would be a good amount to grow to your blunt goal. If you trim every 2 months, half an inch or less would be better.
The ends don't look damaged, so its all down to the hemline you want now. You could trim very little on the way to waist, and then maintain at that length with monthly trims to get the hemline you like if you prefer.

So now I don't know what to vote...I'm more for tiny regular trims for myself at the moment so I'll vote for 0.5

I second this. My ends are MUCH thinner than yours (taper down to nothing from quite thin at APL) and I am taking as little as possible off - about .5 to 2 inches every 3 months. That way I am (mostly) making progress in length but my hair is (hopefully) looking better all the time due to constant trims.

It looks like you could indeed take off 1.5" right now and have the hemline you want, but, if your hair is anything like mine, it will taper again as it grows. :( So the trick seems to be (and I am not there yet so I can't tell you if it works!) to get as much of the thickest hair to your goal length as possible, then continue to trim while the stragglers and shorter hairs catch up.

Madame J
August 25th, 2009, 07:50 AM
My vote is to trim 1" now, to get rid of the lighter, straggly bits, then grow it to TBL or hip and cut back to waist for a nice, thick hemline.

JamieLeigh
August 25th, 2009, 06:37 PM
I voted one inch, also. If you're wanting a full, thick hemline, that looks like it should be just enough. :)

jivete
August 26th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Thanks for all the responses and votes.

So, my original plan was to go with the majority vote and trim off 1", but I knew I couldn't do it all at once. Last night, I trimmed off 1/4" and was planning on trimming the rest on the 3rd, but was pretty surprised by how much difference it made.

I've been fighting layers and old dye/heat damage and was ready to lop it all off (well, an inch or so of it anyway). But what Katze said really got me thinking. In the past, everytime I tried to grow I also tried to maintain a thick hem and every time, it would thin out after a few months and I'd go back to the salon and get it cut. Maybe it was breakage that was causing my thinner ends, but I'm not so sure.

I may trim another 1/4" off on the 3rd or I may just wait, or...I may get brave and trim off the last 3/4". My original plan included maintaining at this length until it all thickens up or just micro-trimming along the way. Maybe, like it's said so many times here, I just need to put it up and forget about it for a while.

You'd think the inch trim would be easy and I'd just go for it, but man, I just can't seem to do it. I think it's looking okay at least. The pics are below.

Candid Photo. Uncombed all day. Washed this morning.
http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee322/jivete/LHC/HPIM2438.jpg

Combed.
http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee322/jivete/LHC/HPIM2439.jpg

I can still see the line where my I probably should cut to my shortest layer, but it looks better than it did the other day. Maybe more moisture? :shrug:

Well, thanks again for everyones votes. If I decide to do anything on the 3rd, I'll be sure to post it here.

wintersun99
August 26th, 2009, 09:26 PM

Spring
August 26th, 2009, 09:54 PM
I really want to get to waist length as well, but I voted greater than 1.5 because you mentioned you wanted thick ends.

Because I have relaxed hair, my ends thin out pretty fast, but I want to be happy with my hair even at bsl, and having thick ends makes my hair journey very enjoyable even though it's taking a little longer to get to my goal.

jivete
August 27th, 2009, 08:49 AM
I really want to get to waist length as well, but I voted greater than 1.5 because you mentioned you wanted thick ends.

Because I have relaxed hair, my ends thin out pretty fast, but I want to be happy with my hair even at bsl, and having thick ends makes my hair journey very enjoyable even though it's taking a little longer to get to my goal.

I agree with wanting to enjoy hair at all lengths. I would like thicker ends, but I'll take length with heathy, somewhat thick ends over shorter hair with perfect thick ends. I may never get thick ends and length until all the old heat and dye damage are cut off and then I may never get it at all. I don't mind some taper, I just like the ends to look even and heathly.

EtherealOde
August 27th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Just keep doing the little trims and eventually the ends will thicken up and the layers will be gone. Your hair looks very pretty I think. :)

jivete
August 27th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Just keep doing the little trims and eventually the ends will thicken up and the layers will be gone. Your hair looks very pretty I think. :)

Thanks. That was my original plan. I tend to hem and haw between trimming it all off at once or trimming it slowly. Totally depends on how my hair is behaving that day.

magpielaura
August 27th, 2009, 11:38 AM
I think it looks great after the tiny trim, and agree that the first pictures were not as flattering as they could be.

I'm a total convert to tiny regular trims after 30 years of once or twice a year chops of hideous ends. This year I have cut half an inch at the beginning of every second month and definately think this is keeping my ends reasonable whilst gaining a bit and gradually letting shorter bits catch up. I have never cut my hair so often, and yet this year I have had the first "your hair is so long!" comments.

I think the big problem with cutting big chunks at a time is that you end up spending months babying hair that you are planning to chop, then really mourn the loss of it. Tiny trims seems to fit better with the long, prolonged nature of hair growing to me.

Jemoiselle
August 27th, 2009, 12:57 PM
I'm glad everything worked out the way you want it! Sounds like you achieved the best of both worlds, in hemline thickness and length. I think your length looks great, I see a big improvement from that one little trim along with you! I was past TB length the first time around when I decided enough was enough and cut off probably 2 inches to get rid of old layer ends that had been weakened due to layer styling pre-lhc, curling irons etc. I decided that I would cut off all that I grew each month until all the damage was gone, maintaining that length. I don't know why, but my hair started growing like a weed!

Now it is slightly past TB again on it's way to classic someday, and I still take off a bit each month. The layers I was trying to remove are all but gone, minus the very outer edges of my hair on each side, and the damage is under control. Curses to past damage! LOL I used to be very hard on my hair, I cannot WAIT to have a full head of virgin hair with regards to heat styling. Right now I think I have 1/3 of my length left to get rid of that has suffered a curling iron or blowfryer.

Oh the things we do! Again, congrats and you'll be at your goal in no time if you just put it up and forget about it hehe.

Spring
August 27th, 2009, 05:12 PM
I agree with wanting to enjoy hair at all lengths. I would like thicker ends, but I'll take length with heathy, somewhat thick ends over shorter hair with perfect thick ends. I may never get thick ends and length until all the old heat and dye damage are cut off and then I may never get it at all. I don't mind some taper, I just like the ends to look even and heathly.

I totally agree. Sometimes those small trims can keep your ends looking even and healthy till you get to your goal ;)....

frodolaughs
August 27th, 2009, 05:31 PM
I voted for cheese because as long as you want your hair to get longer it's really important not to trim off all your new growth! In my experience it's easy to cut off more than you planned to, and cut it off more frequently than you grow it back without even noticing. I recently realized that my 1/2" trims were closer to 3/4" and that my 1/2" of growth per month was more like 1/3", so cutting off a "half-inch" every other month, which should have left me with 3" of growth per year, was really giving me negative growth over a year. (1/2 " per month growth - 1/2" trim every other month=3" annual total growth BUT 1/3" inch growth per month x 12 months=4" of growth, minus 3/4" every other month (4 1/2" of trim a year)=hair shrinking 1/2" per year. With my growth rate, even a perfect 1/2" trim every other month would leave me with just 1" of growth per year. At that rate I'd make my terminal length artificially short by many inches. Moral: trim with care. For myself, the scissors are now put away, far, far away (I'll make an exception for S&D).

redneckprincess
August 27th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Honistly I dont see how you need a trim, looks good..no..great to me!! but if your goal is thickness before length then I say cut an inch at a time ♥ good luck