PDA

View Full Version : Parting- My hair follicles hurt! :(

nowxisxforever
August 24th, 2009, 03:28 PM
I'm trying to train my hair out of the center part I've had all my life. Not to anything specific, mind you, just so that it doesn't throw a hissyfit if I decide to change it to a side part or take it all back or whatever I feel like doing.

I dislike it because it feels odd, and pulls strangely on follicles that are used to going one direction and now are going another direction... and when I take it down and put it back to my normal part, my follicles ache.

Anyone else doing this or have done this before? Any tips on easing the ache?

Chromis
August 24th, 2009, 04:56 PM
No tips, but I feel your pain! I tried making my hair do a side part to do the big banged swoosh styles in the late-eighties/early-nineties and my hair would hear nothing of it. I hurt and undid itself even with using extra strong hair gel and further spraying it with the strongest hairspray I could find. Stubborn, stubborn scalp.

I've tried slicking it all the way back to look more sleek for updos too, but have conceded defeat.

nowxisxforever
August 24th, 2009, 05:23 PM
No tips, but I feel your pain! I tried making my hair do a side part to do the big banged swoosh styles in the late-eighties/early-nineties and my hair would hear nothing of it. I hurt and undid itself even with using extra strong hair gel and further spraying it with the strongest hairspray I could find. Stubborn, stubborn scalp.

I've tried slicking it all the way back to look more sleek for updos too, but have conceded defeat.

I generally don't bother, but I'm curious to see if I *can*, mostly. ;) I've currently got it down in a side part. I can't help but keep touching the part, because it aches!! I also can't put it up in a bun with this parting without it pulling funny. :(

CaityBear
August 24th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Yup, my hair was like that when I first started changing my part. Now I routinely change it. lol I always do off center parts and change it at random each time I wash my hair.

Not sure how to help the pain, other then just pushing through it... *shrug* good luck.

Aunteater
August 24th, 2009, 05:27 PM
I've experienced that. It sort of works if I move the part over just a tiny bit every couple of days. That way there's only a little strip that's sore, and not a huge section of scalp screaming "WTF were you thinking!!??" at me all evening. In the end, though, the center part always wins.

nowxisxforever
August 24th, 2009, 05:39 PM
I've experienced that. It sort of works if I move the part over just a tiny bit every couple of days. That way there's only a little strip that's sore, and not a huge section of scalp screaming "WTF were you thinking!!??" at me all evening. In the end, though, the center part always wins.

That's an interesting idea, yes.

(Lol, poor scalps!)

Lilli
August 24th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Owww. I am sorry. I don't have any great advice. I haven't changed my part in ages but I remember in college when I had BSL hair I used to have a center part, and now I have a side part, so it can be done with some patience. I second the moving it a tiny bit at a time. I don't remember pain but my hair is not very heavy or thick so maybe that's why.

longhairedfairy
August 24th, 2009, 10:29 PM
It should get better over time. I brush the top of my hair pretty much straight back so that there isn't much, if any, part instead of parting it in a completely different place. That might help ease the transition for you.

heatherdazy
August 24th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Wow, your hair must be really heavy!

Mely
August 24th, 2009, 11:48 PM
I get the same type of ache when I try to change my part. I know exactly what you mean.

NebraskaChick84
August 24th, 2009, 11:56 PM
I used to have an off center left part, for years. I decided I didn't want any part so I started wearing ponytails. it did hurt for awhile but now I have no part, which is to say, any part :) good luck!

manderly
August 25th, 2009, 12:12 AM
I change my part often. I find that when half goes a bit limp, changing the part a bit to the other side for a few weeks will give me fullness.

It does ache a bit, and it's totally annoying for a few days, but your hair will learn quickly and shift for you :)

I've had center, left and right parts! I like to mix things up. :D

Blue Willow
August 25th, 2009, 12:16 AM
For me Ive learned that brushing my hair with no part generally makes it a no issue when i decide to part it in whatever way pleases me at the moment..and I don't think youd have a breaking in period if you trained it this way first.

Heidi_234
August 25th, 2009, 05:11 AM
Did you tried to change the part right after washing your hair? The warm/hot water soften the scalp muscles and sort of "resets" them. If you (air) dry your hair in a certain direction (that is not your regular part it might not hurt that way. I always changed parts only after washing, even though side parting looks weird on me.

embee
August 25th, 2009, 05:28 AM
Oooh, I've been there.... only I wanted to put my hair into a *high* updo. Ouch. Major scalp ache. But it got better over time. Now I wear a low bun by day and a topknot by night. No pain. Hang in there. It should improve. :)

GlassEyes
August 25th, 2009, 05:52 AM
I'm sort of with heidi on this one--I've never had true problems parting my hair when it's down and wet.

When it's going up, however, a sidepart is a pain, but I equate that more to my layers not reaching the bun/whatever and being held awkwardly with bobby pins--which irritate my scalp.

vampodrama
August 25th, 2009, 08:11 AM
I have tried to change my part but it doesn't work for me at all :confused:

One thing is the scalp pain. That I can handle. But my hair will not stay in my new part at all! When my hair is down it simply falls back into my natural part as soon as I move my head a bit - my hair is about BSL, but light, fine and thin so it moves quite freely. When I put my hair up - part or no part - it also always finds its way back to my natural part little by little, even if I try to pull it back very tight (which I never do, really, cos I don't need a facelift yet). It looks like I am doomed to have a natural centre part for my entire life?

Chromis
August 25th, 2009, 04:04 PM
I have tried to change my part but it doesn't work for me at all :confused:

One thing is the scalp pain. That I can handle. But my hair will not stay in my new part at all! When my hair is down it simply falls back into my natural part as soon as I move my head a bit - my hair is about BSL, but light, fine and thin so it moves quite freely. When I put my hair up - part or no part - it also always finds its way back to my natural part little by little, even if I try to pull it back very tight (which I never do, really, cos I don't need a facelift yet). It looks like I am doomed to have a natural centre part for my entire life?

This is my problem as well. My part just pops right over back where it wants to go and my hair is heavier than yours too!

pixiedoo
August 25th, 2009, 04:24 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who experiences weird achy follicles when changing their parting!!

Last year after years of having a natural center parting, I decided to change to a side parting. It caused considerable scalp pain but I stuck with it until the hair started to thin around the new parting. Needless to say I changed it back and now have a center parting again but still have a thin patch where I tried to change it :confused:

I'm really not sure why my hair thinned out so much but changing my parting is not an experiment I care to repeat!!

nowxisxforever
August 25th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Did you tried to change the part right after washing your hair? The warm/hot water soften the scalp muscles and sort of "resets" them. If you (air) dry your hair in a certain direction (that is not your regular part it might not hurt that way. I always changed parts only after washing, even though side parting looks weird on me.

I dried my hair with it pulled straight back, actually, with no part, and then used my bonnet drier (rollers failed, but I've been trying alternative things [using my head as a big roller, pinning in certain patterns, etc.] with it) to set it.... then changed partings later. I hate how I look with my hair pulled straight back, so I did a pseudo-pouf (like the girls are doing with their bangs these days, but not actually poofy, just raised a teensy bit, twisted, clipped, and the rest pulled back in my bun --since I'm shorter than everyone else I know it adds a bit of 'interest' to the top of my head rather than it being completely slicked back.

nowxisxforever
August 25th, 2009, 04:35 PM
For me Ive learned that brushing my hair with no part generally makes it a no issue when i decide to part it in whatever way pleases me at the moment..and I don't think youd have a breaking in period if you trained it this way first.

Maybe, yes. I find it just as difficult to pull it straight back as I find it to part it separately, though. My main point of trying to "un-train" the center part is that I'd like to be able to switch it up as appropriate without my scalp aching. I can't comb it directly back, I end up causing tangles because I can't go all the way down my hair without bringing it over my shoulder, at which point it's not all the way back anyway... My hair is rather flat on top, unfortunately, no volume, so it's a bit hard to take it directly back.

nowxisxforever
August 25th, 2009, 04:36 PM
I change my part often. I find that when half goes a bit limp, changing the part a bit to the other side for a few weeks will give me fullness.

It does ache a bit, and it's totally annoying for a few days, but your hair will learn quickly and shift for you :)

I've had center, left and right parts! I like to mix things up. :D

This makes sense, I found I had a bit more volume with the side part simply because the hair starts facing one direction and has to curve over to face the direction I need it to face, giving it a bit of lift at the roots.

nowxisxforever
August 25th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Wow, your hair must be really heavy!

It doesn't feel heavy, but I guess pulled back into a bun with the part at an unnatural spot does make it feel a bit heavier, since there's more pulling on the sore scalp!

LadyLongLocks
August 25th, 2009, 06:46 PM
YES, I get the same thing! It can be really painful! I wore a different bun and my scalp hated it. My scalp ached so bad I had to take Advil. My hair wont stay in a side part either, unless it's super oily. But I like my center part anyway.

Chrissy
August 26th, 2009, 05:44 AM
You don't have to have heavy hair to have this pain. I've had it before and my hair is very fine. Not thin but fine. I hope it will stop hurting in time.

Fractalsofhair
August 26th, 2009, 07:36 AM
Yeah, my hair is like that if I try to change it to anything but a center part(my natural part). I just accept my hair parts in the center.

Norai
August 26th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Didn't read through all the posts, but I find it helps A LOT if I part my hair when it's wet.

Komodia
August 26th, 2009, 06:05 PM
i could change my part a couple of years ago from the middle to the right by combing it in that position in the shower, first massaging my scalp with conditioner or whatever i had on my hair.. then let it dry in the towel in that position, removing the towel and adding clips until it was totally dry... within a month i trained it completely. i can still use the middle part too, but my bangs would go wild hahaha so i usually don't change their direction, or just pull them back and slightly to the side.