PDA

View Full Version : Hair sin?

LaFlor
August 24th, 2009, 10:40 AM
My perm has faded out to a big mess. Some parts (like underneath where there was no previous damage) wave a little and the parts on top just have wierd dents and straight ugly ends.

I couldn't take it anymore, so I whipped out the flat iron and I straightened it all out... trying my best to avoid my virgin roots (they are straight on their own). I feels so good to get a break from that mess. I'm thinking this might be the only way I can deal with this problem until the damage is all grown out and cut off. I have no problems going for regular trims and loosing length until I can get all of this damage cut out. I do not plan on carrying this damage with me for the next 5 years (or more). I plan on chopping it all off as soon as my virgin hair gets to my shoulder anyway.

So what is the verdict? Do you think it is a bad idea to flat iron the damaged sections of my hair (and load them with silicones of course) since I plan on chopping them off anyway? I really want my hair to look good throughout this whole growing process, not just after year from now when I go for the big chop!

Fractalsofhair
August 24th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Well, if you avoid the virgin parts, it's fine if you're going to chop it off anyways.

It's going to get damaged. Flat iron as rarely as you can(if you have long hair already, you probably don't need to wash it daily, so only flat iron after a wash).

Medievalmaniac
August 24th, 2009, 10:49 AM
I think if you are sure you are chopping it off, then whatever makes you happiest now. I'd load it up with leave-in though, just to keep it looking less damaged while you fry it. ;)

Kiraela
August 24th, 2009, 10:54 AM
If you are planning on cutting off the already damaged parts, and you are careful to protect the virgin hair, then if it makes you happy, definately iron it! The reason most of us have long hair, is because we like it. We think it is pretty. If ironing the ends makes you feel your hair is prettier, then definately go for it! You have to do what makes you happier with your hair, otherwise there's no point in having it.

RancheroTheBee
August 24th, 2009, 11:54 AM
I still iron occasionally, despite the fact that I've sworn off trims. Ironing once in a while is fine, especially if you're already planning to cut it off.

Kirin
August 24th, 2009, 11:59 AM
There is no actual "sin" or "evil" on the road and quest for long hair, except what is unacceptable to you. Flat ironing will damage your hair, no doubt, but you have to live with your hair, we don't.

There is no right way, or wrong in the quest for long hair, only your own personal journey. If it makes you feel good about yourself, takes a stress level off of you, and makes you happy, then do it.

Sheltie_Momma
August 24th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Flat ironing sort of wrecked my hair, the damage on my ends travels up the hairshaft - when I have a split that breaks, the hair breaks off by a good half inch or so. So, you know, just keep in mind that it might be harder to contain the damage than you think.

All that said - the last time I got my hair super shiny slickery straight was when I met up with people from high school that I hadn't seen in a decade. It looked fabulous, shiny, straight long fantastic and I don't regret it one bit.

heatherdazy
August 24th, 2009, 12:58 PM
You could also consider relaxing the previously permed parts. It is very easy to target only the permed areas and there are mild relaxers made just for this purpose.

It's not the healthiest thing you could possibly do to your hair, but it's also not much different than regular flat ironing and it will save you the time and trouble.

halo_tightens
August 24th, 2009, 01:41 PM
I agree that if you're absolutely sure you're going to cut that part off anyway, you might as well treat it however you like! If you planned to keep it, it would be a different story-- but I don't see why you'd need to worry about hair that you know is going to be cut off.

GlennaGirl
August 24th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Can you damp-cinnabun it each time you wash it? That may smooth out the frizzy parts and make it all, including the ends, more of a uniform wave (from the twisting to make the cinnabun).

LaFlor
August 24th, 2009, 02:48 PM
I've tried the damp cinnabon, braids, twists... but the front parts of my hair never take to any type of styling, because that is where I have most of the highlighting. Too many processing on that part of my hair. I went about a month ago and got a lot of the pieces around my face cut shorter (attempting to cut away a lot of the damage) so it would style better, it's better, but it still doesn't cooperate.

I have considered the relaxer or reverse-perm, but I'm not really sure.

I think I will just try to limit myself to once a week with the flat iron. I can put it up the rest of the time. That will let me feel pretty for a few days out of the week.

I'm getting more and more excited about my future chop... I can't wait to be done with this damage so I can finally start growing to my goal length with virgin straight hair. I know there are some who have styling issues like mine with their natural hair and their solution isn't so easy as to chop it all off because it will grow out straight and manageable naturally. Those people deserve a big hug... it is not fun dealing with unruly locks.

I will never go near a perm again! I've learned my lesson!

Elenna
August 24th, 2009, 03:08 PM
The longer you mistreat your hair the longer it'll take to grow out the damage.

Lilli
August 24th, 2009, 10:17 PM
I've tried the damp cinnabon, braids, twists... but the front parts of my hair never take to any type of styling, because that is where I have most of the highlighting. Too many processing on that part of my hair. I went about a month ago and got a lot of the pieces around my face cut shorter (attempting to cut away a lot of the damage) so it would style better, it's better, but it still doesn't cooperate.

I have considered the relaxer or reverse-perm, but I'm not really sure.

I think I will just try to limit myself to once a week with the flat iron. I can put it up the rest of the time. That will let me feel pretty for a few days out of the week.

I'm getting more and more excited about my future chop... I can't wait to be done with this damage so I can finally start growing to my goal length with virgin straight hair. I know there are some who have styling issues like mine with their natural hair and their solution isn't so easy as to chop it all off because it will grow out straight and manageable naturally. Those people deserve a big hug... it is not fun dealing with unruly locks.

I will never go near a perm again! I've learned my lesson!

I forced myself to put the flat iron away for a week and I just got used to my hair without ironing. It changed my perspective of what looks good and bad. Now I use it very occasionally, and since I am not blowdrying ever and conditioning and oiling, it can take the occasional ironing. (And this is over a perm and straightening 4 months ago.)

Blue Willow
August 25th, 2009, 12:29 AM
This is just an option but you might try a curly shampoo & conditioner and scrunch your hair as you air dry it. This worked great for my hair w/no more damage.