PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone experienced this

karenpetal
August 24th, 2009, 09:30 AM
Had a question - over the past week i experienced some pain at the hair roots close to the scalp only when i combed my hair one way or the other -

I checked for any signs of dandruff but there werent any -
here is my routine -
Wash
Once in 3 days (or earlier if dirty) alternately with Shikhakai and Head and Shoulders (mild anti -dandruff for sensitive scalp).

Oil
Hair and massage scalp before most washes - oil Mahabhringaraj recently (abt 2 months) shifted to Dabur Amla -

Vitamins
Centrum daily 1

Wondering if anybody else has experienced a similar pain - I was on anti-biotics for a week beginning of August - could this be the cause.

Cheers

Rohele
August 24th, 2009, 10:54 AM
I had some really sore spots on my scalp this spring. It hurt when I moved my hair. It was similar to the pain one would have after wearing their hair too tight and then letting it down, but it wasn't that, since I don't wear my hair up often. The spots hurt when I pressed on them, like bruises almost.

The pain persisted off and on for several months. It seems to be gone now. The only thing I could think of was that maybe it was from a sunburned scalp, since the pain first appeared in the spring when I was spending a lot of time outdoors (I wasn't protecting my scalp from the sun). If it wasn't that, I'm not sure what it could have been.

I don't know if antibiotics can cause pain like that. Is it possible that your scalp doesn't like some of the ingredients of you hair oils/washing products?

Norai
August 24th, 2009, 11:00 AM
This happens to me when I put my hair in a direction it isn't used to going - like when I tried to bun my hair way on top of my head to sleep... it seems like hair follicles get pointed in a certain direction over time, and don't like to be pushed the other way -- were you putting your hair up differently at all?

karenpetal
August 24th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Thanks Rohele and Norai for sharing your experience - yes I was trying to change my part - I read on one of the threads that it is good practice to change parts to avoid wear and tear at any one particular part position - thanks

Could it be because of hair weight ?

RancheroTheBee
August 24th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Me, too. It seemed to be from using shampoos that were too harsh for my scalp and never conditioning my scalp, either. An ACV rinse and switching to SLS-free shampoo for a bit seemed to fix things right up.

Heidi_234
August 24th, 2009, 01:26 PM
It happens to me sometimes if I go between washes for really long time (a week or more). Usually my scalp is just fine with no washing for longer periods of time, but then I comb my hair in a different direction and then it starts to ache so badly I have to wash.
I think it has something to do with the muscles in the scalp, which get use to one direction, and when you wash with warm/hot water it relaxes them and the soreness stops.

halo_tightens
August 24th, 2009, 01:30 PM
It happens to me when I have had my hair one way for a while and then change it so it lies in a different direction. For example, if I have it put up in a pony for several hours, the follicles then seem a little sore when I take it down to lie flat. Like Norai said, it's like they get all settled in a certain direction and then don't like to be disturbed!

I've also had it happen once or twice if I've gone too long without washing. I think it's the same thing at work, really-- the dirty hair lies so flat for so long that it's tender when I move it around.

Gumball
August 24th, 2009, 01:44 PM
I think it's like phone elbow, but with the muscles on the scalp that accompany the follicles. If you hold a phone up to your ear for a long time it might be a little sore to straighten your arm after. If your hair is always in one position then altering the position it's at near the roots would get sore, too. I've had that happen a few different times.

Kirin
August 24th, 2009, 01:59 PM
This happens to me only if I don't wash my hair, oddly enough. Its funny I do think the root cause is the same (hair follicles being at an odd angle from growth pattern), but can arise in different people under different circumstances.

Jinx2234
August 24th, 2009, 04:25 PM
This happened for me when I wore my hair in a bun at the top of my head. When I took it down, I had sore spots on my head for a few days. I agree that the pain was probably from forcing the roots to move in a direction that they were unaccustomed to.