PDA

View Full Version : Lock in moisture?

Emme76
April 16th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Just wondering, how can I lock in moisture????? What do I have to look for in a conditioner? What oil might be better?
I tried to but a bunch of conditioner on, some coconut oil over it...and let it rest for about 10 min. I think it helped, but not sure if this is ok.
Any suggestions??????? :D Thank you all!!!!
/Emme

lora410
April 16th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Hi emme. I lock in moisture after a fresh wash, and then some oil on damp hair. Remember you literally only need one drop of any oil from the ears down (leave the oil in) or else it will get greasy.

Lamb
April 16th, 2008, 08:59 AM
Try deep-conditioning (leaving conditioner on for 20 mins, or do an SMT - that's Snowy's Moisture Treatment, honey+aloe gel+condish, search for it on the boards). Also, oils are not for everyone, I had little success with them. Cone-free leave-ins, however, are good for me, you could try using a regular cone-free condish as a leave-in, one drop at a time!

Anje
April 16th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Moisture has a tendency to come and go, so you do have to keep up with it... Next time you try to deep condition, leave it in a bit longer than 10 minutes. I'm thinking more along the lines of 30-60 minutes. (You can always do something else, watch your favorite program, etc. while the conditioner is soaking in.) Rinse it out, then put a tiny quantity of oil in your hair, concentrating on ends and whatever portions get driest (for me, that includes sections near my face).

vindo
April 16th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Oil on dry hair

I leave it on until the next wash or even reapplly. It takes hair a while to soak up all the oil. The more you give the more it will soak up eventually and over time its moisture content will be great.
Of course I have to wear my oily hair up for a few days ;)

Btw. "lock in" is not the way hair would naturally deal with moisture. Hair wants to 'breath' -
You either decrease or restore it...with your actions.

Curlsgirl
April 16th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Also some people really need more than a drop. I use way more. I like to use a moisturizing leave-in (BWC leave-in or KCKT leave-in) and then help seal with coconut oil.

justgreen
April 16th, 2008, 09:41 AM
I've had GREAT results using a spritzer on my damp hair and especially the ends. I use distilled water, a few drops of jojoba oil, about 1/2 ounce orange blossom water. I spray the ends liberally with this, then apply a pea sized amount of Trader Joe's Citrus conditioner to the wet ends. My ends are sooooooooooo happy.

Loops
April 16th, 2008, 09:42 AM
What are people's experiences with different oils for pre-washing - jojoba? Almond? I find emu oil is great for my ends but it tends not to come out with CO washing.

Loops

Shanarana
April 16th, 2008, 09:43 AM
I use coconut oil after a wash with no cones shampoo and condish. To me it seems a waste to oil using cones because the cones are already coating the hair so the oil just sits on it, but what do I know......still learning. :)

Katze
April 16th, 2008, 09:48 AM
I only oil when my hair's damp, and then only a fingernail full of coconut oil. Any other oiling tends to make my hair greasy.

Although I use 'cones, I also use leave in (Goth Rosary Nothingness) and it seems to do my hair much good. When my mister's not broken, I like to mist with a mix of aloe, water, deep conditioner, GR conditioner, and sometimes some essential oils or fragrance oils for scent.

It doesn't really seem like moisture can get "locked in" - my hair loses it no matter what I do, especially on the damaged, dry ends. It's at its happiest if I mist it 2-3x a day and oil it whenever it gets wet under the shower or has been washed.

SMTs are also GREAT for making my hair feel moisturized and soft - I'm trying to do them every couple weeks or so, as my hair needs it.

hth!

Medvssa
April 16th, 2008, 11:54 AM
I also need a LOT more oil than just one drop. My hair drinks it up, everyone's hair is different.

The most important thing for me is that I cannot put oil on my hair when it is dry, it becomes crunchy and looks greasy and frizzy - really weird, it just seems to sit on top. But if my hair is damp, I can put lots and lots more oil before it looks greasy, and instead feels moisturized, and when I wash it out (after hours or days) I can feel a difference.

You will have to experiment and see what works for you.

Emme76
April 16th, 2008, 11:38 PM
Thank you all! :D Some great advice, as always.:cheese:
Maybe I will get a mister today and see if that works. But I havenīt really found a cone free conditioner that I like.
I will also look for a good leave-in!
These things I havenīt tried..maybe it will work better. And also to see if my hair likes oiling into dry or damp hair.

Oh, yea - "lock-in" is probably the wrong word to use, just new with all the hair lingo :)....and just felt like my hair wouldenīt absorb the moisture I was/am trying to give it.

Take care!/Emme

maskedrose
April 17th, 2008, 12:40 AM
I just tried the following this morning, and it seems to have worked beautifully!

I CO'd my scalp only with my trusty suave tropical coconut, then mixed a handful of condish with probably 3 tblsp honey and applied it to the length. I let this sit on while I finished in the shower, then rinsed. I then did a very diluted ACV rinse, let it sit for a couple minutes, then rinsed it out. I then blotted my hair with a towel and let it air dry for about ten minutes. I then put a fair amount of jojoba oil on just the length, then damp bunned it for the day.

I just took it down a while ago and WOW...soooo soft and shiny. I have really been struggling with dry, dry ends, and this seems to have really helped.

Melisande
April 17th, 2008, 02:00 AM
When I use shea butter on my lengths, they feel moisturized, whatever this means. They feel softer and stronger at the same time. My hair is quite dry usually, so I don't know exactly how this works. But sheabutter is definitely one of my favorite leave ins.

It can be mixed with oil, conditioner or oil AND conditioner to take it more to the oil treatment or the moisturizing side. On itself, it is wonderfully soothing and smoothing.

Emme76
April 17th, 2008, 02:52 AM
Maybe jojoba oil and Sheabutter is something to invest in :)! Never tried it!!!!

But I canīt find Suave here in Sweden :(..otherwise a conditioner I understand many like...

I will for sure try the different treatments ...and the misting...one at a time..lol...to see what my hair thinks about it.

THANKīS!!!!
Have a great day!!!
/Emme

justgreen
April 17th, 2008, 07:52 AM
When you do find a conditioner you like, try using that (pea sized amount) , along with spritzing your ends with distilled water. You might find you like it better than a regular commercial leave-in (of which the largest ingredient is water) and you'll save tons of money too.

Stagecoach
April 17th, 2008, 07:56 AM
When I feel my hair needs a big moisture boost, here's what I do.

Deep oil over night with coconut.
Wash scalp, then condition length for 30 minutes or so. Rinse.
Towel dry, and apply oil to length... for me, that means about 1/4 teaspoon.
Bun hair while still wet and leave bunned all day.

When you take your hair down at night it will still be wet, but it should be dry by the next morning.

Patrycja
April 17th, 2008, 08:08 AM
I'm also another one that swears by her mister bottle.But,with the oil,conditioner,distilled water I also add aloe.

and do try a SMT.I heard you get crazy moisture.Last time I tried it-I got the curds.Read the thread about it on the recipe forum to see what works and what doesn't ;)

Emme76
April 17th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Thankīs!!!! I was looking for a good misting bottle today but couldenīt find one :(...but I hope I will have better luck tomorrow. I do want to try this...I have a feeling my hair might like it. I did get jojoba oil, and just put a crop on my ends to try it....they feel very soft :D!!

/Emme