PDA

View Full Version : Waxy hair? What happened?

Tap Dancer
August 24th, 2009, 05:20 AM
Most days I CO wash with VO5 Sun-Kissed Raspberry conditioner and Dove Daily Moisture Therapy conditioner. Lately it's been feeling waxy near my hairline while I'm rinsing it all out. Once I'm out of the shower and my hair dries, it's fine. I also want to add that I do a vinegar rinse once a week. Anyway, I had a new problem last Wednesday. While my hair was drying, it felt stiff in the back. Once my hair was dry, that "stiff" section felt waxy. Even though I had rinsed a lot, I figured I hadn't gotten all of the conditioner out. Still, I decided to use the big guns when I washed again on Thursday. I shampoo'd with Redken Hair Cleansing Cream shampoo (which is a clarifying shampoo), did a CO wash with White Rain Lavender Vanilla conditioner, and deep conditioned with Biolage Ultra-Hydrating Balm. My hair felt normal again and I figured that was the end of that. Wrong! I did a CO wash on Saturday with the VO5 and Dove again. The result? The waxy feeling is back. I wore my hair in a ponytail all day yesterday and when I took it down last night, that spot felt almost like plastic doll hair. This morning it feels better, but it's still waxy. I guess I'll lay off the VO5 and Dove for a while and use other products. Should I go back to shampoo for a few weeks? (By the way, I don't oil my hair so it can't be residue from that.) I've never had this problem before and I need to wash my hair again later today.

I just had another thought... Sometimes I spray this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=49578) on my hair after washing it. Maybe I'm using too much? (Although that wouldn't explain the waxiness I get around my hairline in the shower since I don't use it near my scalp.) Anyway, I'm going to stop using it for a while too.

Carolyn
August 24th, 2009, 05:43 AM
I think you did the right thing by clarifying. I think if I were you I would switch my up my daily products. My hair acts like what you describe when it get "tired" of my usual routine. You might need to use real shampoo and not do CO washes for a few times to get rid of the waxy residue. I find that switching up my routine and my products keeps me from getting waxiness and lank hair.

BlndeInDisguise
August 24th, 2009, 05:56 AM
Do you put your conditioner on when your hair is wet or dry? Some people like to do it when it's dry, because it clean their hair better. Just a suggestion. If that doesn't work, I agree with Carolyn! :)

Tap Dancer
August 24th, 2009, 07:30 AM
Do you put your conditioner on when your hair is wet or dry? Some people like to do it when it's dry, because it clean their hair better. Just a suggestion. If that doesn't work, I agree with Carolyn! :)

Wet hair.

I'm going with Carolyn's suggestion because that's what I thought I should do too. I'm going to shampoo and condition a few times and after that, I'll only CO wash once in a while.

Lilli
August 24th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Most days I CO wash with VO5 Sun-Kissed Raspberry conditioner and Dove Daily Moisture Therapy conditioner. Lately it's been feeling waxy near my hairline while I'm rinsing it all out. Once I'm out of the shower and my hair dries, it's fine. I also want to add that I do a vinegar rinse once a week. Anyway, I had a new problem last Wednesday. While my hair was drying, it felt stiff in the back. Once my hair was dry, that "stiff" section felt waxy. Even though I had rinsed a lot, I figured I hadn't gotten all of the conditioner out. Still, I decided to use the big guns when I washed again on Thursday. I shampoo'd with Redken Hair Cleansing Cream shampoo (which is a clarifying shampoo), did a CO wash with White Rain Lavender Vanilla conditioner, and deep conditioned with Biolage Ultra-Hydrating Balm. My hair felt normal again and I figured that was the end of that. Wrong! I did a CO wash on Saturday with the VO5 and Dove again. The result? The waxy feeling is back. I wore my hair in a ponytail all day yesterday and when I took it down last night, that spot felt almost like plastic doll hair. This morning it feels better, but it's still waxy. I guess I'll lay off the VO5 and Dove for a while and use other products. Should I go back to shampoo for a few weeks? (By the way, I don't oil my hair so it can't be residue from that.) I've never had this problem before and I need to wash my hair again later today.

I just had another thought... Sometimes I spray this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=49578) on my hair after washing it. Maybe I'm using too much? (Although that wouldn't explain the waxiness I get around my hairline in the shower since I don't use it near my scalp.) Anyway, I'm going to stop using it for a while too.

It's the Dove cone buildup. When Dove hair products came out a few years ago and I had BSL hair, I tried them. After a month I had what you described - it got so bad that my roots actually stood out in little clumps and looked greasy. I am sad to inform you that regular SLS poo didn't get it out, either - I had to stand over the kitchen sink while my husband and mom scrubbed my hair with dish soap repeatedly until it all came out. Dove is the devil. PSA over.

Sheltie_Momma
August 24th, 2009, 08:36 AM
I agree with Lilli, it's the Dove. Dove does this to me as well, which is sad because it smells nice.

Fractalsofhair
August 24th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Dove has cones in it(I think?) so you could be having build up from those?

Rohele
August 24th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Does Dove have cones in it? My hair got waxy when I was CO washing with Suave and finishing off with a coney conditioner. It was exactly as you described - waxy in the shower when wet, but OK when it dried. The feeling stayed for while even after I went totally cone free (and now that I'm thinking about it I probably clarified a few times before the feeling went away - I was doing a clarifying shampoo every couple of weeks at the time).

RancheroTheBee
August 24th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Does Dove have cones in it? My hair got waxy when I was CO washing with Suave and finishing off with a coney conditioner. It was exactly as you described - waxy in the shower when wet, but OK when it dried. The feeling stayed for while even after I went totally cone free (and now that I'm thinking about it I probably clarified a few times before the feeling went away - I was doing a clarifying shampoo every couple of weeks at the time).

I'm almost dead certain that Dove does have cones, but let me do a quick search.

Water (Aqua), Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethiconol, Glycerin, Quaternium-18, Fragrance (Parfum), Propylene Glycol, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Potassium Chloride, Disodium EDTA, DMDM Hydantoin, TEA-Dodecylbenzenesulfonate, Lysine Hydrochloride, Silk Amino Acids [Alanine, Glycine, Serine, Arginine, Isoleucine, Cystine, Histidine, Glutamic Acid], Borage (Borago Officinalis) Extract [Palmitic Acid, Stearic Acid, Linoleic Acid, Oleic Acid, Eicosenoic Acid], Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone. (This is for the Intense Moisture formula, btw.)

Thar she blows. I knew it. I've always found Dove to be really heavy, actually.

Tabitha
August 24th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Also, in purple:

Water (Aqua), Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethiconol, Glycerin, Quaternium-18, Fragrance (Parfum), Propylene Glycol, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Potassium Chloride, Disodium EDTA, DMDM Hydantoin, TEA-Dodecylbenzenesulfonate, Lysine Hydrochloride, Silk Amino Acids [Alanine, Glycine, Serine, Arginine, Isoleucine, Cystine, Histidine, Glutamic Acid], Borage (Borago Officinalis) Extract [Palmitic Acid, Stearic Acid, Linoleic Acid, Oleic Acid, Eicosenoic Acid], Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone. (This is for the Intense Moisture formula, btw.)

Lilli
August 24th, 2009, 10:02 PM
The feeling stayed for while even after I went totally cone free (and now that I'm thinking about it I probably clarified a few times before the feeling went away - I was doing a clarifying shampoo every couple of weeks at the time).

Yes, that is why it took me several washes with freaking dish soap to get it out in a hurry.

Rohele
August 25th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Yes, that is why it took me several washes with freaking dish soap to get it out in a hurry.

:blueeek:

Dear god - I'm glad I wasn't using Dove when I had my bad experience (I'd been using L'Oreal condish for dry and damaged hair.)

RancheroTheBee
August 25th, 2009, 11:04 AM
:blueeek:

Dear god - I'm glad I wasn't using Dove when I had my bad experience (I'd been using L'Oreal condish for dry and damaged hair.)

:smile: I love L'Oreal. It doesn't build up on my hair, and it smells like heaven.

Cyclopentasiloxane:
I didn't even realize this was a cone. ^^;

Sissy
August 25th, 2009, 11:22 AM
I agree that it's prolly the Dove. I, on occasion, have used the dark blue Dove (it's the intense moisture one I think) and it does smell heavenly and make my hair feel lovely. However, I get the feeling if I used it all the time my hair would get too waxy.

Calista
August 25th, 2009, 11:32 AM
TapDancer, if your regular clarifying shampoo won´t do the trick you might try a baking soda rinse. If I have to clarify I do it with baking soda, because I´m not into commercial shampoos, and BS is much less harsh than it is said to be IMO. I mix it with some conefree conditioner orjust with water until I have a paste, apply that to my hair, scrub a little bit (it´s very gritty and bubbly) and rinse. I follow with a moisturizing shampoo bar, but you can skip that step.

Rohele
August 25th, 2009, 12:20 PM
:smile: I love L'Oreal. It doesn't build up on my hair, and it smells like heaven.

I loved the smell too (I was using the one in the pink bottle - the one with the silk protein). It worked well when I was using it with shampoo every time, but incorporating it into a CO routine was a disaster for me.