PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Newbies- What have you tried?

marikamt
August 23rd, 2009, 11:10 AM
I am interested in finding out what my fellow newbies have tried from all the wonderful advice on here and what their results were..... personally, I have tried stretching washes (from daily to 2-3x a week) then have started CO fro the past 10 days..... have learned all about cones, am going to clarify and try going cone free and CO (not sure if I can CO 100%... we will see, may have to shampoo every couple of weeks).
I am oiling daily w/ coconut oil (LOVE this!)
Have been taking tons of great supplements, many of which I read about in Igors article on what worked for hair growth.
Learned I don't have to trim as often as I thought (or ever :D)....
Am just finishing up my first month, will post growth info next week- and pics as soon as I can figure that out :lol:

what have you found that you love or works for you???

krissykins
August 23rd, 2009, 11:22 AM
I CO with Suave, usually with a heavy oiling the night before. I usually go 2-3 days, although I can go 4-5 without it looking bad, I just feel gross.

Using a wooden comb and starting at the bottom of my length when I'm detangling really helps. Also, taking supplements!

marikamt
August 23rd, 2009, 11:29 AM
I CO with Suave, usually with a heavy oiling the night before. I usually go 2-3 days, although I can go 4-5 without it looking bad, I just feel gross.

Using a wooden comb and starting at the bottom of my length when I'm detangling really helps. Also, taking supplements!

laughing... I know what you mean about feeling gross..... I have been COing for about 10 days (going about 3 days between)... I was at work last night (day 3) and every time I looked in a mirror I though my bangs looked greasy- I am sure SOMEONE (DH or friend) would have said something if they looked really gross, but I thought they looked icky... am washing this morning :p

krissykins
August 23rd, 2009, 11:32 AM
laughing... I know what you mean about feeling gross..... I have been COing for about 10 days (going about 3 days between)... I was at work last night (day 3) and every time I looked in a mirror I though my bangs looked greasy- I am sure SOMEONE (DH or friend) would have said something if they looked really gross, but I thought they looked icky... am washing this morning :p

Haha yea, yesterday I felt pretty gross even though it didn't look it so I just rinsed my hair. But today I COed... I guess I still have a little of that "hair must be squeaky clean" mentality :P

violetka
August 23rd, 2009, 11:43 AM
Well I started wearing my hair up, stopped brushing it and comb it only in special occasions, bought a non-sulfate shampoo , did some Search and Destroy attacks, Included jojoba , yesterday I bought Biotin but am afraid to take it....and do oiling prior to washing. Thats about it. A and bought miconazol... :D I guess even if something works, I will not know what exactly.

ellette
August 23rd, 2009, 11:48 AM
My biggest change was going sulfate and cone free which my hair absolutely loves and stopping all heat styling and blowdrying.
Also started using jojoba oil and aloe gel regularly.
Started s&d on my split ends which I hadn't done in years.
Started wearing my hair up during the day or when I am doing stuff or going out.
All of this has made a huge difference too and I am so thankful to have found this board.

Leoneska
August 23rd, 2009, 11:56 AM
Thanks to the wise longhaired ladies and knights I learnt so much in a pretty short time (-:
I switched from silicones to organic, conefree products, I started to wear my hair up most of the time, I scrapped my plastic combs and brushes, banned the flat iron and hair dryer and stretched washing intervals from every two days to every 5 days. I learnt about oils and how to use them and take hair/skin/nail supplements. The effects are...unbelievable.
So good that I found this community!!

Shiva
August 23rd, 2009, 12:23 PM
Yay! a thread for us newbs! http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l226/NorthernXposure/emoticons/whoohoo.gif

I have tried catnip tea rinses.... very nice... worked great for me.

I have tried several different oils (camellia, coconut, monoi, and Africa's Best) and liked them all.

I have learned about Ojon oil treatment & products and LOVE them.

I am also washing my hair upside down in the shower now instead of pulling it all over to the left (which was causing some breakage).

Charentais
August 23rd, 2009, 12:36 PM
The best advice I got here was to not rush off and get a trim, since I really don't need one and to try updos and a satin pillowcase.

I used to trim whenever my hair got a bit raggedy. "Oh no! Damage!" But as a result, It'd never get long.

All of the other stuff about oiling, avoiding heat styling and conditioner washing was initially gleaned from Naturally Curly. But I want length too! Yay, LHC!

marikamt
August 23rd, 2009, 12:42 PM
So i am really impatient (and a little obsessive).... just washed and measured... am at about 3/4 inch growth.... started my current regime about 20-25 days ago....... very excited!!! :happydance:

Thenin
August 23rd, 2009, 12:59 PM
I've tried CO, honey treatments, a little bit of oiling and stretching my washes.

I love this site, but I'm finding it difficult to do some of the stuff that I want to do, I can stretch my washes a bit, but not a whole lot I found out, and trial and error proved that I was allergic to honey. (ugh, not fun. Beautiful hair that just fell out. Lost some thickness in that experiment.)

violetka
August 23rd, 2009, 01:28 PM
So i am really impatient (and a little obsessive).... just washed and measured... am at about 3/4 inch growth.... started my current regime about 20-25 days ago....... very excited!!! :happydance:

That is alot:) I am also obsessive btw:D.

I am not sure how to measure my hair, so I will wait some months when it is visible, since with wavy hair there are alot of variables.

rogue_psyche
August 23rd, 2009, 01:39 PM
I went conefree, switched to milder shampoo, tried poo bars (not really for me, I think they exacerbated both my frizzyness and greasyness), stretched washes further than before (I already was a wash every 2-3 days gal), tried oiling (still haven't gotten the hang of), catnip (which I like OK, but is super time consuming), CO, CWC, started S&Ding...sounds like a lot in a short time but I joined in May.

I think the most important thing that I learned was about the protein moisture balance. I've had protein overload and deficiency in the past and didn't know what to do about it so I just assumed I needed a trim.

lovebug
August 23rd, 2009, 01:58 PM
I´m wearing my hair up more often and struggling to strecth washes. I don´t trim as often as I did before and do oil my ends to avoid breakage.

Stephichan
August 23rd, 2009, 02:02 PM
I tried doing CWC, but my hair didn't feel any softer/more moisturized, so I stopped, in favor of saving conditioner. Recently, I switched my routine so that every other wash is a CO wash, and that seems to be going fairly well for the time being. I also went cone-free, and my waves/curls LOVE it. I hennaed for the first time a few weeks ago, and I'm enjoying the color and shine that I got from it. The best part is that I didn't lose the wave/curl that I had before I hennaed (which I had heard was possible). Oh, and I've started securing it more, but not as much as I should be (I noticed this when my hair kept getting caught under my backpack straps last week).

In the past week I've noticed some increased shedding, so I may start looking into some new vitamins or regimens to combat that.

jasper
August 23rd, 2009, 02:38 PM
I'm too new for results, maybe. But I am starting out by trying the conditioner first: sort of CWC, but just CW, where I condition the length and only wash my scalp. (this has to do with my shower attention span, which is very short, so I don't get back to that second C), a sleep braid instead of sleeping with loose hair, and giving up tight elastic in my ponytail.

I want to try oiling, and/or some kind of deep conditioning but I'm still reading up on that.

RuthieAnne
August 23rd, 2009, 02:41 PM
Since I've joined I have:

1. MAJOR S&D . . I must have lost several inches because it was so damaged. Now it is much better and I have to really look for split ends.

2. Ditched the plastic brush. I only finger comb it now and my hair has calmed down and curled much better than ever before.

3. Gone completely WO. My hair is so soft now and I don't have to wash it twice a week anymore!

4. Bought a BBB. This goes along with #3, my fingers were getting tired of doing all the work! :-p

5. Convinced my sister to go WO and get a BBB. Hers gets oily really fast like mine so I am hoping that this will make her hair care much easier and convince her to keep it long. :-)

Thank you LHC! :-D

God bless,

~Ruth

Quixii
August 23rd, 2009, 02:47 PM
I stopped brushing my hair. This is my favourite change so far. Not only does it save me time in the mornings, but it looks better too.
I've been wanting to try sulfate and cone free, but for whatever reason, I haven't succeeded in finding sulfate free shampoos. o,o
Other than that, I've been looking into a bunch of changes, but haven't actually started anything. I had made plans to try my first SMT and then ended up running into scheduling conflict, so haven't done that yet. I've been stalking the curly thread in hopes of figuring out how to bring out my curls. I've been looking at the various ways of wearing my hair up, since right now I'm stuck with the daily ponytail. But like I said, I've changed very little so far. :(

hydrangea
August 23rd, 2009, 02:56 PM
1. Tried shampoo bars, didn't work for me.
2. No more brushes, blow dryers, or curling irons.
3. I now wait till my hair is completely dry before combing.
4. Switched from daily washings to once every other day.
5. Just tried CO for the first time today! My hair is still drying so I'm not sure how well it worked, but so far it doesn't feel greasy at all, which amazes me, because I have very fine hair. :joy:

WritergirlAD
August 23rd, 2009, 03:07 PM
I've learned so much in the short time I've been here.
(I joined a while ago but for some reason completely forgot about the site until last month. :oops: now I really regret I didn't visit sooner!)

-I switched to sls/cone free shampoos and conditioners.
-learned to stretch washes to once or twice a week
-started putting my hair up almost all the time to protect it
-got rid of the cheapy plastic brushes and combs and instead got a wooden detangling comb
-started using coconut and joboba oil, as well as olive oil for deep treatments once a week
-started using a satin sleepcap at night.
-tried CO, but my hair felt heavy and looked a bit greasy, so switched to CWC and love it.
-learned about s&d. haven't actually done it yet, because I want to wait until I have a decent pair of scissors, first.
-started doing ACV rinses. it really helps! I have really hard water where I live, which used to make my hair impossible, but now it looks so much softer, not to mention easier to manage.

I love this site! thanks lhc :D

St.Germain
August 23rd, 2009, 03:17 PM
I haven't really had much opportunity to try new things, largely because I'm not sure where to start. I'd like to try things like coconut oil or shea butter, but I haven't been able to afford any 'nonessentials'. I'd also like to try some vitamins or supplements to help grow healthier hair, but again, I'm poor.
I have been on several S&D missions, but I did that before anyway.

Bellona
August 23rd, 2009, 03:57 PM
Thanks for starting this thread! It's interesting to see what other newbies have been doing. I'm new, and all of this hair stuff seems so overwhelming. I am used to constantly dying, cutting, shampooing, using tons of products, and heat styling, so this is such a change for me. I had past BSL almost waist length hair a few weeks ago (before it got hacked), but it was horribly unhealthy. I'm going to try to do it right this time :)

I've been going longer between washes (3-4 days), using CO ( Nexxus Humectress) anytime I can, and only shampooing if I have to go somewhere really important or really need to look good.

I started oiling with coconut oil once a week (I cook with it sometimes so I had it) but I actually prefer good old fashioned olive oil. I'm sure I could try one of the other oils, but I don't like going out and buying stuff that I may or may not like.

I've noticed a difference in growth rate already from supplements! I take a hair vitamin with MSM, a lot of Biotin, and Gelatin. I also supplement with a B-Complex and a regular Women's multivitamin with iron and extra calcium. I've been measuring for about three weeks, and I've gotten about 1/4 of an inch a week. My hair has always grown fast (always had to get the roots done constantly when I dyed), but I think that my hair seems much softer and healthier now.

I've also cut down dramatically on blowdrying and the flatiron. The style my hair is in now looks HORRIBLE without a blowdry/flatiron, but I try to just pull it back in a scarf or headband when I can.

Does anyone else have fairly short hair that looks really bad without goop and heat styling? I feel really frustrated some days :/ I know it's better in the long run but for now it's kind of miserable to always feel ugly. :(

deko
August 23rd, 2009, 04:47 PM
I wash CWC when I really need to, wash my bangs separately and condish my end daily with deep treatment witch I ad glyserin and camellia oil and rinse with cool water.

(sorry for the typos, I' m too tired to fix them.)

redwoman
August 23rd, 2009, 05:10 PM
I learned a couple of things. The first was to get rid of my "vent brush" with all the plastic nubbins on the ends. I bought a wide tooth comb instead and now use that. I also oil my length mostly every day, then on the fourth day or so I scalp wash and just rinse the soap through my length. I use my blowfryer to light the charcoal in the grill now and I braid my hair at night. I guess I've learned a lot. Thanks LHC!!:cheese:

Charentais
August 23rd, 2009, 05:28 PM
Does anyone else have fairly short hair that looks really bad without goop and heat styling? I feel really frustrated some days :/ I know it's better in the long run but for now it's kind of miserable to always feel ugly. :(

Yes. My shorter top layers are awfully frizzy and lay funny without blowdrying.

But the good news is that yesterday, they finally grew long enough that they looked good. I was so happy and glad that I waited until they grew and didn't panic and get a haircut!

:D

IStand4u
August 23rd, 2009, 05:56 PM
Well I've switched to CWC and usually only wash my hair a few times a week, I use leave-in conditioner daily though... But sadly today I have to wash my hair again... I work at a Subway (today was my last day) and the smell makes my hair smell bad as well as my body and clothes... :(
Oh well, maybe do a CO wash tonight? :confused:
Sorry for getting off topic, just a little random piece from my brain. :)

Spring
August 23rd, 2009, 06:23 PM
Even though I already used Pantene (cones) and Suave Naturals (no cones), I learned so much about cones reading through the threads. It has been extremely helpful info that I didn't know before coming to LHC. I can guage better what's going on with my hair whether I need cones for added protection for 1 conditioning and then switching conditioners for the next 2 weeks to no cones. Thanx guys

Danamarie
August 23rd, 2009, 07:00 PM
I have learned much from all the wise and wonderful's here at LHC - trying soooo many new and different things. Today I co washed with Suave clarifying condish - It worked nicely. I used a tiny smidge of coconut oil on the ends of the top layer. With baby-fine hair, I thought this would be a disaster but I only had market to go to today so wasn't worried much about how I looked.
I've also used a shampoo bar and vinegar rinse. I will use it more as it gave my hair fullness. ...hard for me to acheive.

I use monistat for growth, and supplement with biosil, hair vitamins (ultranourishair), MSM, Kelp, as well as the regular type vitamins/minerals for health. My skinny hair can use all the help it can get. I turned the blow-fryer down so it only blows cool air and I turned the curling iron to the lowest setting and will get rid of it when I learn a better method for getting my ends to go under.

yesterday I bought Biotin but am afraid to take it....

Don't be afraid Violetka, Biotin won't hurt you - It's one of the B-vitamins that is water soluable.
I've been taking it for a few years. It works well. So does MSM.

I have always used a satin pillowcase just because it feels nice and doesn't mess up my hair so much.

SheaLynne
August 24th, 2009, 12:42 AM
Ooh, this is a fun thread! I didn't realize I had been trying so many new things until I started listing them in my head for this post. I have learned a LOT and my hair looks and feels much better!

I started out by switching from a vent brush to a wide tooth comb. I detangle and comb out before I shower now, and although I still gently comb while wet, it is much different from the "raking" I used to do after washing!

I wear my hair up MUCH more now. I learned how to use hairsticks and bought a few new ones, and I *finally* have hair pins that work with my thick hair since I ordered Amish hair pins!!!!

I stopped doing wash-in color to cover my grays. I'm still adjusting to joining the ReneGray gang, but I hated how much hair I shed after coloring, so I'm sticking with it for now.

I did an S&D and was pleasantly surprised that I didn't have too many splits. I'll try to do those more frequently, but didn't feel that was a huge issue even with less-than-perfect treatment of my hair before LHC.

I've gone no-cone, using Suave Naturals and/or Mane & Tail for CO washes.

I've done a deep soak in EVOO (had never put oil in my hair before!).

Oh, and I switched to satin pillowcase and sleep with hair in a bun on top of my head now.

My hair is soft, revealing its natural s-waves, and just feels great--I LOVE IT!!!!

Dachsdragon
August 24th, 2009, 01:09 AM
Ive tried various oils (coconut, evoo, sesame, camelia) Castor oil for the scalp and I also use the Australian equivalent of Monistat. CO washing, shampoo bars. I wash twice a week: one shampoo bar one CO. Before I came here I washed every day. vinegar rinses. No cones conditioner. Honey conditioning treatments. Alma and Cassia a few times. I've used Henna five times, it has really helped my very over processed ends. Im currently trying to find some herbs online here so I can give those a try. Ive stopped using a brush and I have a satin pillowcase.

Lemur_Catta
August 24th, 2009, 01:23 AM
I started combing my hair instead of brushing - even if I still brush it sometimes when it is already detangled - and also I started wearing my hair up most of the time, even if because it is so hot now (and of course I got the comment from my boyfriend "Why do you keep your hair long if you always wear it up?" xD).

I already did most of the "good" thing before joining here, such as cone-free conditioners, no heat styling and so on...

GermanCurl
August 24th, 2009, 05:51 AM
I started trying out different products and changed my routine completely.
Following is my current routine which seems to work best for me:

1. I don't use heat on my hair. I still diffuse, but on the cool setting.
2. Ditched the shampoo and only CO wash with VO5.
3. Control my curls with FOTE Aloe Gel
4. No more hairspray

My hair is now super moisturized and I am very happy. Now it just needs to grow.....

Medievalmaniac
August 24th, 2009, 06:53 AM
Ohhh, my gosh! Where do I even START?! I have learned sooo much from this community about my hair. I threw out my old plastic brush and all ponytail holders with the metal clasps. I stopped brushing my hair straight while it was wet and now use a large-tooth comb and my fingers to detangle. I work out all the tangles one strand at a time rather than just ripping through them...this alone has made a huge difference both in my and in my daughter's hair!

I use the L'Oreal sulfate-free shampoo, and the moisture-rich conditioner, once a week. I use a clarifying shampoo and leave in conditioner for my other wash each week. Going down to two washed a week from every day was a major challenge for me, but I am more than thrilled with the results!

I oil three-four times a week with coconut oil, a fairly heavy oiling, and my hair absolutely soaks up the oil, so it doesn't get greasy, just looks heavy and shiny.

I spent money on pretty hair toys for the first time in my life, and have been playing with the different kinds of buns - this is a big deal, because prior to this it has always been down, twist bun held up by a ponytail holder, or claw.

Although I can't give up my dye just yet - although one day I do hope to be a renegray! - I stretched it to twelve weeks between dyes this last go-round without a big problem, which takes me to about 4-5 dyes a year instead of 8-10, and I'm proud of that. I'm still seriously debating henna!!! I also learned that if I oil the night before dying, it helps to protect my hair from too much breakage.

I always took a multi vitamin before anyway, but I also take the hair/skin/nails vitamin now with biotin and gelatin. And I sleep with it up and on a satin pillowcase.

My hair looks and feels better than I ever remember it before, EVER. And my daughter's hair is glowing and bright as an elf princess's. I'm sooo grateful to the LHC for all the support and advice, because not only am I benefiting from it, but so will my girls as they grow, and I feel like I am so much better a mother for my long haired elf daughter, because I can teach her to properly care for her hair, whereas before I was clueless and just thought she was lucky to have pretty hair! Now, she can keep it that way - and so can I!!

THANK YOU to the LHC! I know I am going to reach my hair goal, and I feel so much better about my hair and myself for the confidence it gives me! :)

marikamt
August 24th, 2009, 06:53 AM
I've tried CO, honey treatments, a little bit of oiling and stretching my washes.

I love this site, but I'm finding it difficult to do some of the stuff that I want to do, I can stretch my washes a bit, but not a whole lot I found out, and trial and error proved that I was allergic to honey. (ugh, not fun. Beautiful hair that just fell out. Lost some thickness in that experiment.)

oooo- yikes!! Sorry!!! Well I can't stretch washes as long as I would like either... but (I think) I am learning that we each have to find what works for us and that it is okay to find our own regime... I find my hair is not thick/ coarse enough to go to long... it starts getting the greasies... but, I am going longer than I used to, and every little bit helps :)

Namarie
August 24th, 2009, 07:02 AM
I have tried taking fish oil supplements. Before now I haven't noticed a difference because I've been keeping my hair the same length. Now, though, I want to grow it, so i'll let you know if I see any improvements.

JamieLeigh
August 24th, 2009, 08:20 AM
I guess I'm still a newb since I've only been here about 10 months so far, but I'm not going anywhere. :D

It's hard to offer advice on what to try for your hair, when everyone's hair type is different - and even those with the same hairtype by LHC standards could react differently to the same products.

I think I tried a bit of everything, except the monistat. Somehow I just couldn't bring myself to put that on my head, and anyhow I don't really need the increased growth, I have enough already to keep up with. :o I've also never tried henna or baking soda on my hair. The things I've tried are ACV rinses, catnip tea rinses, oiling, and CO (coney and coneless).

The things that I really stuck with were the CO washes with coneless conditioner, and the oiling. The conditioner I use most frequently is Suave Naturals tropical coconut, although I do use Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat on occasion, just to switch things up. I've been CO since January and have been really happy with it. The oils I've tried are olive and coconut, and the coconut works best on my hair.

I also take a Hair, Skin & Nails supplement, with 3000mcg of Biotin in it, but I can't say for sure that it has helped or hindered anything about my growth or hair condition. I've taken it for nearly two years, I think, and I don't really see much difference, to be honest.

Everyone is different, and yes being new and being confronted with so many different hair options can be overwhelming. But in the end, trial and error will prove which works best for you - and keep in mind that it might not work for everyone else. Also remember the 2-week rule. Give new things time before moving on to something else, and try to try them out ONE at a time. By the end of two weeks, you should be able to tell whether your hair will like it or not.

pradabacon
August 24th, 2009, 08:34 AM
So far, I have tried:

CO - :shrug: My hair gets pretty oily, so I haven't been able to maintain doing this exclusively. Right now, I'm going back and forth between CO and regular washing (but I've been diluting my shampoo, which gets a :thumbsup:).

No cones - :thumbsup: for the most part, but I have cheated a little and used Pert Plus as a shampoo the other day because I LUV the smell. Going cone-free made my hair much softer feeling, but it seems a little frizzier too. *I just bought some aloe vera gel to try for that*

Tangle Teezer - :thumbsup: One word: awesome. I need to order another two, one for the shower and one for the car.

Coconut Oil - http://bestsmileys.com/thumbs/4.gif My hair does not seem to absorb coconut oil at all - even when I only use the tiniest bit. It justs sits on my hair until I wash it out. It also made me break out. Boooo! Smells good, though.

OCM - Oil Cleansing Method - :shrug: I tried this for a few days and I had a bit of a breakout, so I stopped. Nothing major and OCMers swear this effect passes, but I just can't deal with that. But I did start using straight Jojoba oil as a facial moisturizer and that rocks! I intend to order a huge bottle and start using it everywhere.

Jojoba Oil - :thumbsup: See above.

Lots of new hairstyles! - :thumbsup: I've been trying all sorts of new 'dos and I got myself an Owl hairstick online after seeing it in another member's collection. Yay!

Embracing my silver hair - :thumbsup: I stopped dying my hair with permanent color a few years ago, and I enjoyed my silvers for the most part before I came to LHC, but now I have decided to never, ever touch them with dye again! Seeing all the members with gorgeous salt-and-pepper or silver hair is wonderful and it looks so lovely! Renegrays forever, baby!!! :D

Hiriel
August 24th, 2009, 09:24 AM
I think I was fairly nice to my hair to begin with actually, but I've found many new hairstyles here (most of which my hair is too short for...) and started to wear it up more. I have also ordered hairsticks, but they haven't arrived yet :(
I have also started dusting so I won't have to trim as much, and started oiling, but I have not done either for more than a week, I don't know how it's working yet :)

Belledandy
August 24th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Since coming here I learned to dilute my shampoo and do CWC. That was a huge help in the dryness and frizz I had been experiencing. I've also started oiling the ends daily and a little on the scalp when I do a scalp massage (Also something I learned here). Right now I'm going into week two of just herbs with no cones or sulfates and love it! I've got such a "to do" of things I still want to try, and would probably never have known about if I didn't stop here first.

Spring
August 24th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Oh yeah.... I forgot to mention using hair sticks. Coming to this site and seeing the pretty hair sticks started me wearing them, and now I'm looking for the real pretty ones online, I can't seem to find them in Walmart or regular stores. :p

butterflycayton
August 24th, 2009, 12:06 PM
In about a months time, I have tried:
Monistat- about a week, think I have about half an inch of growth:pray:
Coconut oil on ends- makes them softer
no brush- only wide tooth comb
wash, Condition, leave in conditoner about everyother day
started taking skin, hair, and nails vitamins-nails are growing like crazy!!
try to eat lots of hair growing food:hollie:

SheaLynne
August 24th, 2009, 12:15 PM
I have also started dusting so I won't have to trim as much, and started oiling, but I have not done either for more than a week, I don't know how it's working yet :)

Ooh, yes, I also did a self-trim (1/4 inch) and will continue with dusting now that I know I do not have to go to a stylist to do this! This is a biggie because it seemed it was "no trim ever" to avoid a stylist, or risk losing inches to "get rid of damage" (and that damage isn't even that visible now that I'm treating my hair better! Thank goodness I didn't go for a trim!)

doro357
August 24th, 2009, 01:02 PM
hi , i tried coconut oil with indian herbs.conditioned well. i had a problem with washing my hair with the herbs,more hair came out. i like using natural shampoo. supplements are next.

loyaboya
August 24th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Since becoming a member here I've become a fan of:
- daily spritzes with aloe and water
- coconut oil
- daily buns
- adding salt to my conditioner for a deep treatment (gonna do this tonight actually)
- henna
- and shikakai!!

Jinx2234
August 24th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Since finding TLHC I have stopped using shampoo (except to clarify) and started CO. I have also started using oils (EVOO, coconut, jojoba and Africas Best). I use the oil for deep treatments prior to washing as well as lightly on the ends of my hair between washings. I've started doing SMTs about once a week. I've also added a vinegar rinse as the final step in my wash routine.

I threw out my brush and began using a comb instead. Instead of brushing my hair everyday, I now finger comb between washes and only use the comb when my hair is covered in conditioner. I also started doing S&D (before finding TLHC it never occurred to me that I could actually cut the split ends myself) which has helped a lot in improving the look of my hair.

I bought a satin pillowcase and began braiding my hair for bed (when I remember or am not too tired) which really seems to help keep my hair from tangling. I stopped dying my hair. I have also tried lots of different updos but I seem to be hair impaired since none of them look like the ones in the pictures.

Wow, listing all the changes I have made suprised me, it didn't seem like I had tried that much. There's so many other things on my list to try now, I love this place!

klcqtee
August 24th, 2009, 04:55 PM
I CO or CWC and it makes my hair soooo soft, I love it.
I've made my own herbal/kitchen ingredient dyes, that actually work pretty well.
Coconut oil is awesome, and my hair loves protein in general.
Clarifying does not make my hair happy.
Neither does no cones, it seems.

yellowchariot
August 24th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Hey I learned that 2 in 1 shampoo/conditioners aren't very great to use, especially if your hair is already long'ish. Though it could be ok for much shorter hair. So I've gone back to using them individually :)

Snowflakey
August 24th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Ever since I started coming here, I've stopped using shampoo that contans sulfates. I now know about cones, but I'm still using them right now. I started wrapping my hair in a silk scarf when I sleep, I started using hairsticks instead of hair ties, I started doing weekly ACV rinses... And I'm planning to start oiling soon. I've learned SO much from lurking here. :)

Bellona
August 24th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Yes. My shorter top layers are awfully frizzy and lay funny without blowdrying.

But the good news is that yesterday, they finally grew long enough that they looked good. I was so happy and glad that I waited until they grew and didn't panic and get a haircut!

:D

Yay, that gives me hope and encouragement to just try and tough it out :)

littleWren
August 25th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Hello, ladies

Since I started lurking here I have tried:
-daily coconut oiling and heavy oiling everynight before I wash my hair(It saved the two inches i was about to cut off due to damage):cheese:
-cwc with great results
- stretching my washes (only three times a week now )
- no more wet combing
- braiding my hair before I sleep

I am so glad this site exists. :)

littleWren
August 25th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Sorry my post came out like that my laptop has serious issues.

marikamt
August 25th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Sorry my post came out like that my laptop has serious issues.

LittleWren... nothing wrong w/ your post that I could see....

I am having so much fun coming back here and checking this thread out!!!! So many fun things!
:cheer:

basketcase413
August 25th, 2009, 10:39 AM
I've stopped experimenting with different poos and conditioners....solely use Suave, now.

I've stopped washing daily....usually just every 3-5 days, depending on what I've been doing, and how much "perspiring" I've done!

I wear my hair braided or up about 90% of the time.

I've lost my scissors!!!! (except to keep bangs in check)

I've started using coconut oil, applied heavily on the ends, and put up the day before I plan to wash.

In doing all this, I estimate that I've grown 6"+ in about 8 months! From APL to BSL in less than a year is great with me, and I can't find a split end one!

Medievalmaniac
August 25th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Basketcase- I second that - I haven't seen any split ends in the past month or so, either!! :)

Maddy25
August 25th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Since I became active on the site I have tried:

-No Cones: Love it! Sticking to it :) Brought back my natural hair texture and a bit of wave.
-Biotin: I grew a full inch this month! yay for Biotin!
-Cutting out ALL heat on hair: So much easier to manage now, no frizzys or splits!
-Cut out ALL styling products: No more gel or hairspray buildup, no more heavy cones serums. only Aloe :) My hair is much softer now!

-SMT: Felt great but I found my ends were sticking together, must wash more next time!
-Coconut Oil: Makes my hair so nice! I love pampering myself before a wash and putting it in.
-Wearing my hair up almost everyday: Causes less tangles and keeps it up so i can play with it too much

Tess2319
August 25th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Good things I did before LHC:
- SLS-free shampoo
- Cone-free conditioner
- Gentle detangling starting from the bottom when wet
- Stretching washes to 2-3 days (mostly from laziness)
- Gentle use of heat tools
- Bed-braid since it was long enough to braid (because I hated it in my face)
- S&D regularly since it was shoulder-length. I don't have any more split ends, but I can feel the broken ones and trim them just above the kink before they actually split.
- Clarify when it feels yukky.

Since LHC:
- CWC
- Nightly oiling with almond oil. Haven't been able to find any coconut oil, want to try that next.
- Gave up my smoothing serum with cones (Silk Infusion).

I love the difference already after a week. After clarifying, not using the cones, and oiling my ends are not dry and the hair texture feels very healthy and nice.

Next to try:
- Coconut oil.
- Hair Toys. I have several on order. The only way I've been able to get my hair up before LHC is in a claw or in a bee butt sort-of with two scrunchies. The teeny little hairpins I've been able to find locally don't work. My hair laughs and spits them out. Amish hairpins and Bunhead hairpins on order... Along with hair sticks and (I splurged) 2 Ficcare clips... :o

Things I'm not ready to (totally) give up (yet):
- My blowfryer. Going to work in an office with wet hair is not an option for me. Washing in the evening is not an option that works for me very often. But I don't blow it the whole way dry and I let it air dry when I can get away with it.
- My (occasional) flatiron. For when I really really need to look like a million. My 1a/1b hair only has to be touched up and it looks amazing when I do. (If I get good at updos I may be able forgo the flatiron…)
- I get my hair dyed. The roots get touched up every 4-5 weeks at a salon. My hairdresser is APL herself, so doesn't pester me to cut it. I so am not ready for the growing-out-grey-roots-thing. If I'm ever not working in an office then I'll think about it.

casmat
August 25th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Found a new website which I now use to get me henna from and my hair loves the moisturizing effect it has. It's *Link removed*

Keep growing

Chloris
August 26th, 2009, 09:10 AM
I started oiling my hair daily and heavy oiling once a week (at this point I like to use a mix of coconut and castor oil, which I find works very well for my hair- it tames the frizz, but I'd also like to try EVOO eventually). I've also stretched my washes to once per week. I've also decided to switch over to using indian herbs to clean my hair. I'd already tried shikakai and felt that my hair would always turn out better on the days that I would use shikakai rather than any form of conventional shampoo and conditioner (on those days I'd have to put some sort of coney anti-frizz serum and gel to tame the frizz). I also braid my hair nightly. Overall I'm very glad I randomly came upon this site, I'm noticing some beautiful changes in my hair :)

StellaReade
August 26th, 2009, 12:54 PM
I'm totally new to this site, and I have a question. I've heard you should brush your hair with a boar bristle every night (50 strokes on the bottom, 50 on top)...but now I'm seeing everyone saying they threw out their brushes, so is brushing it like that bad? I read it's good to spread natural oils around and to stimulate the scalp to make hair grow faster.

marikamt
August 26th, 2009, 03:23 PM
I really can't answer the brush question for you.... personally, I do brush on occasion, but much, much less than I used to... for me, my hair is better w/ a good, wide-toothed comb... I also think there are others here who brush (w/ a BBB) regularly.
There is a thread called Brush or comb? and one called How often do you brush? Check them out to see if they answer your question or you can start your own thread to get a more specific answer.
good luck!

EtherealOde
August 26th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Since joining the LHC:

- I started using 365 unscented conditioner from Whole Foods as my main CO cleaner of choice 2-3x per week, and Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose on the ends about once a week (man it smells good!).
- I bought several oils (coconut, jojoba, Africa's Best, Shea Butter, and am considering Camellia next) and do regular oilings on my hair. I use the coconut oil on the ends every night, and use the jojoba or Africa's Best on all of my hair as a deep oiling when I think my hair needs it.
- I henna now, using BAQ henna and cassia from mehendi and it's made a huge difference in the state of my hair. It covers the greys without damage too, and I am loving the color. My hair looks alive again.
- Fox's Shea Butter Conditioning Cream and SMT - Snowymoon's Moisture Treatment...these have made a huge difference to the state of my hair. I love these and they are a regular part of my routine now. Just a little pea size amount of the Shea cream after a wash makes my hair so silky. And I was totally unprepared for the extreme moistness my hair had after using the SMT. If you haven't tried it yet you have no idea what you're missing.
- Bargello's Vitamin Regimen...don't know yet if it is making a difference because this is the type of thing that takes quite awhile to see results. But hopefully it will, if not then my body will be healthier for them anyway. :)
- MN, I read about it in a thread here and after a bit of surprise at the way it was being used I decided to give it a try. No more scalp flakes, and my scalp is completely clean and healthy-looking. Even if my hair didn't grow a lot faster (and it has grown faster) I would still use it for that reason alone.
- The last thing I want to mention is the most important, and that's the support and deep well of knowledge in the membership here. If there is any question that can be answered, someone here is bound to have that answer. There is a friendly and understanding support group for those in search of longer, healthier hair. It is an invaluable resource and I am grateful to everyone here for it.

EtherealOde
August 26th, 2009, 05:52 PM
I almost forgot to mention my silk sleeping cap/scarf thingie! I found out about that here too! :)

Kaijah
August 26th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Since joining LHC, I think the best thing I've done is switch off sulfates - to Aubrey Organics, specifically. Hair loves the stuff. <3 Both the Honeysuckle Rose shampoo & conditioner, and the White Camilla conditioner.
Also started oiling, with coconut or jojoba oil after every wash, and putting my hair up in protective hairstyles all the time.
Detangling with a wide toothed, seamless comb from Hairsense.
S&D every so often, but no actual trims/dustings.
ACV rinses after shampooing.

Just last night I finally put together the recipe for Fox's Shea Conditioning Cream. Another winner! It seems to stick around on the outside of my hair longer than just straight up oil (which my hair mostly devours. Om nom nom.), and makes it suuuuper shiny and the curls more defined. Soaks in slowly, but I think that's a good thing. :p Still need to try SMT.

Oh, also doing CWC when I wash. Co-washing seems to make my scalp angry, and I think it's one of my only failed change attempts. Though I did give it up after a week and a half-ish of feeling icky, maybe there was still some transitioning. /shrug

And hairsticks. Hairsticks, hairsticks, hairsticks.

marikamt
August 26th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Since joining LHC, I think the best thing I've done is switch off sulfates - to Aubrey Organics, specifically. Hair loves the stuff. <3 Both the Honeysuckle Rose shampoo & conditioner, and the White Camilla conditioner.
Also started oiling, with coconut or jojoba oil after every wash, and putting my hair up in protective hairstyles all the time.
Detangling with a wide toothed, seamless comb from Hairsense.
S&D every so often, but no actual trims/dustings.
ACV rinses after shampooing.

Just last night I finally put together the recipe for Fox's Shea Conditioning Cream. Another winner! It seems to stick around on the outside of my hair longer than just straight up oil (which my hair mostly devours. Om nom nom.), and makes it suuuuper shiny and the curls more defined. Soaks in slowly, but I think that's a good thing. :p Still need to try SMT.

Oh, also doing CWC when I wash. Co-washing seems to make my scalp angry, and I think it's one of my only failed change attempts. Though I did give it up after a week and a half-ish of feeling icky, maybe there was still some transitioning. /shrug

And hairsticks. Hairsticks, hairsticks, hairsticks.

So jealous!!! Haven't been able to use a hairstick yet (I am updo-challenged)... am dying to get some though... that, and after rreading this thread want to try an SMT... haven't done that either!

ilovemysailor08
August 26th, 2009, 06:37 PM
i have only tried CO so far

Danamarie
August 26th, 2009, 09:58 PM
at this point I like to use a mix of coconut and castor oil, which I find works very well for my hair- it tames the frizz

Chloris, how much of each do you mix? Castor oil is so thick, was it hard to get out of your hair?

jasper
August 29th, 2009, 07:31 PM
I tried the caramel treatment last night :disco: I have soft shiny hair today!

Rivanariko
August 29th, 2009, 08:02 PM
I started stretching "washes". Because I work outside in the dust and heat every day and get rather sweaty and disgusting, not cleansing my hair at all every day is not really an option because it is actually DIRTY, not just greasy. But I only CWC once a week now, CO twice a week in between, and use WO the rest of the time, just getting my hair wet and massaging my scalp a bit to loosen up any dirt and debris. My hair seems VERY happy with this routine!
I'm still using cones and I'll admit that I am loathe to give them up. I can remember trying Sauve conditions when I was a kid and it doing not-nice things to my hair... so I'm skeptical now. Maybe I'll get brave soon though.

I wear my hair up 90&#37; of the time now. I french braid it at night and during the day while I'm at work, and put it up in the bun if I'm around the house or going anywhere other than work. I have to wear a helmet at work, so the french braid is the best option there, but I'm trying to play with some ideas of ways that I can get it completely off my back so that it won't rub against my shirt and get more damaged without adding any more bulk to the back of my head and affecting the fit of my helmet.

The biggest thing that I've changed, though, is that I have STOPPED BRUSHING! This was hard for me, because I love brushing my hair. It feels so nice, but my super-fine hair breaks so easily, I was mutilating it by dragging a brush through it several times a day. The difference since I've started only finger-combing has been astounding.

I was also using aloe fairly regularly on it both to moisturize and to tame those little wispies, but since moving to South Carolina, moisture hasn't been as much of a problem...

Tovah
August 29th, 2009, 08:52 PM
I have been very very naughty. I tried stretching out washings but felt icky. My hair is very fine and just lies flat if I don't wash it. I did try alternatives to blow drying; I wrapped it and it came out very smooth. I think I need to get a bonnet dryer thought because it takes forever to dry when wrapped. I also tried going without cones, but went back to them. Today I went to the salon to have the roots done and I did not have it trimmed nor did I have it dried. I also insisted that they keep the conditioner on for 10 minutes and went home with wet hair.

I've worn my hair up more, but it's still a bit too short. I also visited the George Michael's salon in NYC (where I used to go when I was young) for a consultation and got a boar's bristle brush there.

meowmeow
August 29th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Every since I've been lurking here, I've been way more gentle on combing my hair, using less shampoo, scritching and massaging my scalp a lot more.

:)

BritHair
August 29th, 2009, 10:58 PM
I have learned a great deal from this site and I am gaining more knowledge each time I log on. My hair has improved greatly since I have followed numerous tips.

I only wash my hair with shampoo once every 2 weeks with Kenra. I like the way it cleanses my scalp. I CO in between those 2 weeks with suave naturals tropical coconut. I also like L'Oreal Mega moisture. I use either coconut oil or jojoba oil on the ends daily. I never brush although I have a BBB. I prefer to use a seamless wide tooth comb.

I love hair sticks, don't really use anything else. I do have a favorite scrunchie that I wear to bed. I never use hairdryers or other heat stylers. I just put my hair in a cinnamon bun with a stick and let it dry that way.

I just had 2 inches cut off my hair as I am thickening it now. It is waist length at this time and it looks and feels so healthy. I have to update my picture because that pic was when I started and my hair looks thicker and healthier now.

All I can say is it was a blessing when I found LHC:cheese:

Pumpkin
September 7th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Since I have been lurking here I have:

*Stopped using the hairdryer.
*Stopped chemically dying my hair.
*Started using VO5 shampoo and conditioner...yes, I am working on stretching shampooing everyday...I did, however, dilute my shampoo.
*Since my hair has grown some, I am able to wear it up and do so 90% of the time.
*Stopped going to the salon. As of right now, it has been 9 months and no trims.
*Take a multi-vitamin and 1500mcg's of Biotin everyday.
*Eating more protein and completely gave up sugar. Lost 18 pounds so far! LOL
*Comb hair instead of using a brush, however, I did by a 100% Boar Bristle Brush just to have on hand.
*Completely gave up all hair styling products! i.e. hairspray, gels, etc. That has made a world of difference for the condition of my hair and scalp.

inWaiting
September 7th, 2009, 01:01 PM
well, i sat with bleach on my head for 6 hours at salon and my hair was melting off!! I went from hair that was at bottom of ribcage to shoulder length (not from cutting from breaking) my hair had the consistancy of melted plastic it was dripping off my head!! now little over a month in here my hair is more than inch longer, soft and minimal breakage. Infact to just look at me you can not tell my hair got fried. I use honey, aloe vera gel and conditioner mix I take hair skin and nails vitamins and try very hard not to wash daily but it is very hard cause i just want to keep adding stuff in my hair and then i have to wash it out. Working on the ocd part though lol, but my hair has come so far from the help of LHC!! Good luck to all