PDA

View Full Version : Which celebrities have extensions?

Lilli
August 23rd, 2009, 08:23 AM
So many celebrities have long hair, but if you follow them in the tabloids, you can see that it instantly gets long. For example, Reese Witherspoon recently went from collarbone length to BSL - so it had to be extensions. Who else wears extensions? Demi Moore? Anyone know?

Áine
August 23rd, 2009, 08:42 AM
LOL. All of them. Even Tom Cruise and John Travolta can be seen wearing hair pieces regularly.

At some point they have all worn extensions or are wearing some at this very moment. Longer length is not the only reason why people wear them. Some celebs are darn near bald because of the over processing. Some want extra volume. Some chopped off their hair for a movie roll. Etc.

ipickee
August 23rd, 2009, 09:02 AM
Katie Holmes, and (of course) Britney Spears. I'm fairly sure that Angelina Jolie doesn't usually wear extensions because her hair is usually about the same length all the time. Really, it takes like, 8 hours to get extensions done. Can you imagine??

OhioLisa
August 23rd, 2009, 09:04 AM
LOL. All of them.

Haha. This was my thought exactly. :p

amaiaisabella
August 23rd, 2009, 09:05 AM
I don't think every celebrity has extensions, though I'm sure a lot of them do. I don't believe Brooke Shields has them- we've mentioned her a few times on the board, she seems to have a great attitude about long hair, and knows how to properly take care of it. Holly Marie Combs, my hair idol, doesn't have them either, as she's had long hair for as long as I can remember (at least 10 years).

I'm not sure about all the teen stars, but if they have extensions, they're very well done!

Margeaux
August 23rd, 2009, 09:14 AM
My ultimate girl crush Kirsten Dunst did a few times. I'd go and look for a picture but I can currently only type with one hand. :rolleyes:

ericthegreat
August 23rd, 2009, 09:19 AM
Britney Spears definitely for sure, she even admitted so in countless magazine interviews.

Jessica Simpson, Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie, Jennifer Lopez, also wear and have worn extensions on a regular basis. Both Jessica Simpson and Paris Hilton even market their own line of wigs and hair extensions.

I'm sure even your favorite movie star or singer is or has worn extensions in the movie, TV show or music video you love. It used to be a secret in Hollywood that all the beautiful, long, full hair that you saw on all the movie stars were hair extensions. But now that even regular everyday clients have them/are requesting to get them, there is no longer any "shame" for a celebrity to admit that she or he is wearing extensions.

heatherdazy
August 23rd, 2009, 09:44 AM
Linsay Lohan, Britney Spears, and the Olsen twins pop to mind first. Lindsay because she changes hair color every other day and it seems much much thicker now than in her Mean Girls days, despite being much longer.

Mary Kate had more hair than body there for a while. I would think having an eating disorder would make it pretty difficult to produce such long thick healthy looking hair.

Jessica sticks mostly to clip ins, I think, and I wouldn't be surprised if her natural hair was fairly long, too.

SJP wore them a lot in early seasons of SATC and they really bothered me because there was an obvious line of demarkation between her real hair (about apl) and the extensions (waist).

Sienna Miller has them... she had that short crop not too long ago (which I actually loved on her) that suddenly turned into apl length hair overnight.

Let's see... Mischa Barton yes, Mandy Moore yes, I know I'm missing some...

EtherealOde
August 23rd, 2009, 10:52 AM
Their hair would be much thinner if they didn't wear them. Nicholas Cage wears a hairpiece,
too. You can pretty much look at any celebrity photo and see who wears them by trying to estimate what their pony diameter would be by looking at their hair worn down. Some have so much hair with extensions in that their pony would be in the 7" or more range...totally unrealistic for anyone to think they will look like that naturally. No wonder most people have self-image issues. We are somehow supposed to be able to all look the way these celebrities do (with the help of trainers, chefs, plastic surgeons, dental veneers, personal stylists, makeup artists, and hair stylists, and quite possibly drugs as well) and be a skinny size zero with flawless faces and perfect hair and teeth. The sad thing is that even with all the money and work celebrities put into looking perfect, their photos are airbrushed and photoshopped to look the way the magazines think they should look.

I may not be happy with the way I look but at least I know what reasonable expectations are for what I can achieve without a huge cash outlay and an assload of surgery. Makes me a lot happier with my figure when I think of it in that context, lol.

RancheroTheBee
August 23rd, 2009, 11:02 AM
Sienna Miller has them... she had that short crop not too long ago (which I actually loved on her) that suddenly turned into apl length hair overnight.

This will probably illustrate my nerdiness, but I think she might have grown it out to at least shoulder before going ahead and getting extensions. I know because I sort of tracked her progress, as I had similar hair at the time. :p

rhubarbarin
August 23rd, 2009, 11:12 AM
I agree - I think there are very, very, very few with longer hair who do not have them.

Same for models.

And if it's not extensions, it's weaves and wigs (especially for curly or kinky-haired people!).

Often they look very nice, sometimes it's clearly visible and looks awful to me.

Madonna-Fan
August 23rd, 2009, 01:22 PM
Lindsay Lohan also wears that "Fake hair".
Or how could she turn from red to blackish brown to white
blonde to red again and so on without any forfeit of length...

Cherry_Sprinkle
August 23rd, 2009, 01:27 PM
I can tell you for almost 100% certainty when they book a photo session with a photographer, the photographer tells the stylist how they want them to look.. pony tails, 1/2 wigs, clip ins, etc are almost always used as 'fillers'.

Heidi_234
August 23rd, 2009, 01:34 PM
I can tell you for almost 100% certainty when they book a photo session with a photographer, the photographer tells the stylist how they want them to look.. pony tails, 1/2 wigs, clip ins, etc are almost always used as 'fillers'.
Also, same as we always crave for thicker hair, so do they. Everybody who's very attentive to their hair feels like there's room for more thickness. But they certainly if they got the means to do it, so I'm sure they certainly do, 90% of them at least.

Feye
August 23rd, 2009, 02:05 PM
I don't mind if a celebrity gets extensions, because it keeps long hair trendy. However, it's not healthy for the scalp and hair. Traction alopecia is a concern (bald patches).

Jennifer Aniston went into the Daily Telegraph to warn against hair extensions. I couldn't find the original article, but it's referenced here:
http://www.beautifulhairstyles.com/news/2006/jenniferaniston.html

heatherdazy
August 23rd, 2009, 02:16 PM
This will probably illustrate my nerdiness, but I think she might have grown it out to at least shoulder before going ahead and getting extensions. I know because I sort of tracked her progress, as I had similar hair at the time. :p
I have never seen any pics of her hair longer than that crop yet shorter than shoulder length...

Maddy25
August 23rd, 2009, 02:51 PM
Avril Lavigne ALWAYS wears extensions. Even back when her hair was brown and black all of the long black pieces were fake. Right now she has brown ones mixed in with her blonde.

LittleOrca
August 23rd, 2009, 03:23 PM
Wouldn't an easier question be "Which ones don't?"

spidermom
August 23rd, 2009, 03:24 PM
Before I knew anything about hair extensions, I would be really confused when I'd see a celebrity picture with suddenly long hair after having had it cut. Julia Roberts comes to mind. She'd had a well-publicized cut, then suddenly her APL-BSL hair was back. I didn't have a clue how that could be accomplished, other than a wig, and it didn't look like a wig.

I should get out more.

noelgirl
August 23rd, 2009, 08:36 PM
I don't mind if a celebrity gets extensions, because it keeps long hair trendy. However, it's not healthy for the scalp and hair. Traction alopecia is a concern (bald patches).

Jennifer Aniston went into the Daily Telegraph to warn against hair extensions. I couldn't find the original article, but it's referenced here:
http://www.beautifulhairstyles.com/news/2006/jenniferaniston.html

I remember that, I think the original quote was in Bazaar, but I can't seem to find the article either.

melikai
August 24th, 2009, 12:21 AM

Hahaha - I was going to pipe in and say the same thing. She had the cropped cut, then got extensions for a movie, then got them taken out, and has since naturally grown her hair longish again.

vampodrama
August 24th, 2009, 05:25 AM
I know Hugh Jackman had extensions for the Van Helsing movie... other than that, I'm pretty clueless :D I don't pay much attention to the females in the entertainment industry, to be honest.

I believe though that most of them wear extensions or weaves (what's the difference between them, btw?) or wigs or other stuff that is not their real hair. Most of them also seem to have not their real teeth as well. It all seems so very... scary to me. It's almost like they're not real persons any more. But hey, that's just me.

wendyg
August 24th, 2009, 06:18 AM
Blake Lively on Gossip Girl some of the time, I'm fairly sure. Lisa Kudrow at one point in Friends (her hair got so trashed during the course of that series). Jennifer Anison has talked about the toll extensions took on her hair.

Alyson Hannigan, on the other hand, whose hair has varied in length over the years but whose thickness is consistent (and whose length varies time appropriately), I'm fairly never has. Wigs, yes, to cope with flashbacks when she's changed color. But note that she sticks to the darker end of the spectrum - red to very dark brown; she doesn't bleach and it always looks wonderfully healthy. I suspect she uses henna and indigo, because I can't imagine it staying so glossy and healthy if she were using chemical dyes.

wg

toodramatik
August 24th, 2009, 06:21 AM
I know Hugh Jackman had extensions for the Van Helsing movie... other than that, I'm pretty clueless :D I don't pay much attention to the females in the entertainment industry, to be honest.

I believe though that most of them wear extensions or weaves (what's the difference between them, btw?) or wigs or other stuff that is not their real hair. Most of them also seem to have not their real teeth as well. It all seems so very... scary to me. It's almost like they're not real persons any more. But hey, that's just me.

I believe weaves are sewn into your hair, thus the name, and extensions are more glued in. Also, weaves are a more complete look, think Tyra Banks and other African American stars, as opposed to just lengthening.

ericthegreat
August 24th, 2009, 07:42 AM
I'm a hairstylist so I will elaborate on the hair extension process.

Both weaves and individual hair extensions can be used to both lengthen your hair and add more volume and thickness.

Also, depending on how loose you want to use the terminology a weave can also be considered a form of hair extension. Individual strand by strand extensions however, are clearly just that they are extensions and are not also called weaves.

The weaving process begins as follows. First, the stylist will cornrow braid your hair down tightly. Yes, it has to be tight or the tracks that she or he will sew onto the braids won't stay.
Once your head has been cornrowed(its usually done in a circular or spiral pattern), the stylist will then apply tracks of hair onto your head and sew them directly onto your braids. Typically, a full head weave will require anywhere from 5 to 8 tracks of hair.

Individual strand by strand hair extensions are tiny little bundles of hair with a bond attached at the top, the bond can be either a glue bond or a more expensive keratin bond. This bond is applied about 1/2 an inch away from your roots and is fused into your hair with a heated iron that looks like a clamp, the heat melts the bond and that bond in essence glues the extension hair into your own hair.

GoldieLox
August 24th, 2009, 08:11 AM
A lot of celebs do

pigallesalon
December 3rd, 2009, 01:37 PM
Hello everyone >

:spam:

enfys
December 3rd, 2009, 02:58 PM
Maybe not to wear out in their every day life, but for photos and promo things pretty much all of them, male or female, because it's not a situation they choose.

It's nice to see occasional real hair but all that stuff is so fake I won't let it spoil my film if the lead has a syrup.

More probably wear extra hair for volume than length, but it's getting harder to tell who's wearing them unless they're bad.

I can't think of any unmentioned names except Cheryl Cole, who's probably a UK only celeb.

Kris Dove
December 3rd, 2009, 03:19 PM
Katie Price aka Jordan- she was filmed in her own show flying out to LA to get her extensions done at a particular salon.

MissManda
December 3rd, 2009, 04:09 PM
I'm a hairstylist so I will elaborate on the hair extension process.

Both weaves and individual hair extensions can be used to both lengthen your hair and add more volume and thickness.

Also, depending on how loose you want to use the terminology a weave can also be considered a form of hair extension. Individual strand by strand extensions however, are clearly just that they are extensions and are not also called weaves.

The weaving process begins as follows. First, the stylist will cornrow braid your hair down tightly. Yes, it has to be tight or the tracks that she or he will sew onto the braids won't stay.
Once your head has been cornrowed(its usually done in a circular or spiral pattern), the stylist will then apply tracks of hair onto your head and sew them directly onto your braids. Typically, a full head weave will require anywhere from 5 to 8 tracks of hair.

Individual strand by strand hair extensions are tiny little bundles of hair with a bond attached at the top, the bond can be either a glue bond or a more expensive keratin bond. This bond is applied about 1/2 an inch away from your roots and is fused into your hair with a heated iron that looks like a clamp, the heat melts the bond and that bond in essence glues the extension hair into your own hair.

Thanks for the explanation! I've always wondered what the difference between weaves and hair extensions was. This totally clarifies things for me.

I think I've seen Johnny Depp wearing hair extensions before, although I could be wrong. I also remember the actress who played Princess Leia in the first Star Wars trilogy wore extensions. I loved her hair in the scenes where she was in the Ewoks' village until I found out they were fake.

I know Kristen Stewart wears a wig for her role as Balla Swan in the Twilight Saga movies (I remember wishing I had hair like that until I learned the truth). So she might wear extensions as well.

I don't think Angelina Jolie (mostly) or Tarja Turunen wear hair extensions. I've always loved their hair for the styling and the length. I do remember visiting the Yahoo! fron page one day to see a promotional photo of Angelina for her newest role in Salt in which she has bangs (and IMHO, they look HORRIBLE on her!) and it made me wonder whether she actually got bangs or they are part of a weave/extensions or a wig.

thankyousir74
December 3rd, 2009, 04:27 PM
I just know that the main female from the movie Watchmen had hair that was sooooo fake. I felt slight resentment (not envy, envy is reserved for real hair) every time I saw her with her long perfect hair (always loose, imagine all the damage it would go through, not to mention how dangerous it would be while fighting)

YourEggcellency
December 3rd, 2009, 10:14 PM
I just know that the main female from the movie Watchmen had hair that was sooooo fake. I felt slight resentment (not envy, envy is reserved for real hair) every time I saw her with her long perfect hair (always loose, imagine all the damage it would go through, not to mention how dangerous it would be while fighting)

Haha, that makes me chuckle--seeing Watchmen was what made me want to grow out my hair past BSL & get rid of my layers (still working on that...). I realized her hair was fake shortly after seeing the movie, but I still think it's very pretty. :p

But you are SO right--how easy would it be for someone to grab a fistful of that hair & beat the snot out of her?? Tsk, tsk, the 80s were a silly time...

noelgirl
December 3rd, 2009, 10:51 PM
I don't think Angelina Jolie (mostly) or Tarja Turunen wear hair extensions. I've always loved their hair for the styling and the length. I do remember visiting the Yahoo! fron page one day to see a promotional photo of Angelina for her newest role in Salt in which she has bangs (and IMHO, they look HORRIBLE on her!) and it made me wonder whether she actually got bangs or they are part of a weave/extensions or a wig.

I think Angelina wore wigs for Salt - in half the pics I've seen she was blonde, and in half she was brunette. And I've only seen those bangs on her in pics from the movie.

Sister13
December 3rd, 2009, 10:53 PM
Antonio Banderas. Naomi Campbell. Kourtney Kardashian. Halle Berry when it's long.