PDA

View Full Version : Delicate question for natural blondes and redheads

Anlbe
August 23rd, 2009, 01:57 AM
I sometimes do other people's hair for them and have notice amongst redheads and natural blondes a slight issue with thinner hair but more importantly being able to see the scalp quite prominently. Do I just have a skewed sample or is this regularly a problem? I've worked with thin dark hair too, but the scalp issue doesn't seem to happen; which I don't really understand. Also can anyone give me any advice about what's the best way to style hair with this habit?

Rini
August 23rd, 2009, 02:02 AM
Hmm....well I'm a natural blonde and my sister is a natural brunette and she has the problem with seeing her scalp and I do not. Perhaps it is an individual thing and not something that can be generalized from hair colour?

As for styling, I'd just work with the hair and if there is a certain patch where the scalp is prominent, then style accordingly. I DO have a weird parting (double crown) at the back of my head where scalp is sometimes visible, so I always make sure to arrange my strands over this when wearing hair back in a bun. It's a common wurly challenge I'm sure ;)

HTH. Btw, didn't seem like a delicate question to me :D

Roseate
August 23rd, 2009, 02:09 AM
Ok, my mind is officially in the gutter, I thought this was going to be some kind of "does the carpet match the drapes" question! :o

Re: scalp, I actually notice scalp show-through most on dark-haired folks with lighter skin, since the contrast between scalp and hair is greater.

When I did my coarse/thin/dark-haired friend's hair for her wedding, I made sure to comb it back smoothly and evenly so there weren't any gaps, (it was a French twist), didn't pull it too tight, studded the thing with pins and sprayed the living heck out of it so it would stay all day. Not exactly everyday styling, though. :shrug:

Feye
August 23rd, 2009, 02:26 AM
I've read opinions on some forums that coarse hair shows more scalp than fine hair, because even thought it is overall thicker than fine hair, the actual hair strands are fewer and more scalp is therefore visible. Have you noticed any difference between fine/coarse hair?

vampodrama
August 23rd, 2009, 02:36 AM
Ok, my mind is officially in the gutter, I thought this was going to be some kind of "does the carpet match the drapes" question! :o

Me too - but then again, I am *very* gutterminded in general so I wasn't even surprised. Mildly disappointed, maybe :eyebrows:

Either way, I have the case of very pale skin + dark thin hair thing going on. My scalp shows through a LOT. The remedy is to always keep my hair very clean (even the slightest hint of greasiness makes this much worse) and try to comb or set the hair as evenly over the scalp as possible. I have always thought I wouldn't have this issue if I had blonde hair, but I do not and I will not bleach my hair just because of that.

Anlbe
August 23rd, 2009, 02:43 AM
Thank you for the answers, sorry to disappoint expectations! :eyebrows:
I was surprised too that the scalp should seem to show more with the fair hair, maybe it's because their scalps were rather pink and yes the hair is maybe a little bit coarse. Will keep it in mind - even comb, spray the heck and make sure it's very clean.

Boudicca
August 23rd, 2009, 04:47 AM
This very issue is driving me mad right now (I'm a redhead). I'm feeling like I'm seeing too much scalp. I'm hoping there are hormonal things at work, though, and am going to try Spearmint tea to boost growth.

My mind went gutter-wards when I saw the thread title too! :D

Raponsje
August 23rd, 2009, 05:14 AM
I am a blonde with fine hair and no scalp showing (only a thin line where I part my hair, but that doesn't count, does it?). Apparently I have a lot of hair.

Newniepg
August 23rd, 2009, 05:27 AM

Yes! This is what I thought too! What a fantastic euphemism btw. :D

I know a girl with VERY dark brown hair, it is as dark as mine actually and I could always see her scalp 'through' her hair- she wore it quite short though and sticking up from her head a bit (difficult to explain!). I think I noticed it so much because I'm not used to seeing the scalps of dark haired people.

AnimaSola3o4
August 23rd, 2009, 05:33 AM
Hmm... well, I am a natural redhead but certainly do not have thin hair by any means. I am a 4+ inch circ. Though, that being said... I can see my scalp quite easily around my temples in photographs.... Usually the scalp is easier to see in pics with flash.

I am also quite fair, so maybe there is something to the 'contrasting hair and scalp' thing. ?

halo_tightens
August 23rd, 2009, 08:08 AM
Re: scalp, I actually notice scalp show-through most on dark-haired folks with lighter skin, since the contrast between scalp and hair is greater.

I am also quite fair, so maybe there is something to the 'contrasting hair and scalp' thing. ?

This is what I notice the most, myself. The greater the contrast between the hair color and scalp color, the more it catches my eye.

Silver & Gold
August 23rd, 2009, 08:19 AM

Guilty as well. "Does the carpet match the drapes?" A very amusing expression.

My daughter-in-law has red hair and a thicker head of hair I've never seen. I also have seen some natural blondes with amazingly thick hair. Most of the people I've seen with thin hair have brown or dishwater colored hair.

Magdalene
August 23rd, 2009, 08:25 AM
Guilty as well. "Does the carpet match the drapes?" A very amusing expression..

Okay, who's going to start THIS poll? lol.

Natural blonde (more of a strawberry than platinum) and no scalp showage here.

ktani
August 23rd, 2009, 08:58 AM
I have read that blondes and redheads tend to have fewer actual folicles but it varies. I have known and seen both natural hair colours thick and luxuriant.

My own hair is dark blonde with a bit of red in it and my hair, aside from being mostly fine is thin. For me, switching to herbal conditioning makes my hair look fuller and thicker because it is not weighed down. I use catnip tea now but when I used chamomile tea, although I found it quite drying, it did the same with regard to fullness.

I have the cowlick problem at the back too and I use a trick a stylist taught me years ago.

When my hair is still very damp, I slide my fingers under where the cowlick is and lift up an inch or two at the roots. I then just rearrange the top layer over that. It works for me every time.

Margeaux
August 23rd, 2009, 09:18 AM
Speaking for myself: nope. I have super thick (strawberry blonde) hair. I suppose it has to do more with age or perhaps hair implant than with colour.

Silver & Gold
August 23rd, 2009, 09:37 AM
Okay, who's going to start THIS poll? lol.

Natural blonde (more of a strawberry than platinum) and no scalp showage here.

There is so much I want to say right now on this subject as it pertains to going grey but I shall bite my tongue . . . or tie my fingers . . . or whatever one does to keep from posting TMI on a public forum.

spidermom
August 23rd, 2009, 09:37 AM
Blonde here (sort of, haha). Thick, mostly fine hair; no show-through.

Rohele
August 23rd, 2009, 11:09 AM
My natural colour is a medium reddish brown. I do have a fairly noticable part, but I don't have scalp show through in other areas. I don't get that razor fine part that people with fine and thick hair seem to get - mine seems wider. I see similar parts on people who have coarser hair. I didn't notice my parting as much when I was dying my hair blonde - as other people mentioned, less contrast.

I also thought this was a "does the curtain match the drapes" question too. :p

Oskimosa
August 23rd, 2009, 11:18 AM
Well, I'm naturally a blonde, and overall my hair is quite thick AND coarse. However, right at the corners of my forehead the eternally baby hairs are very thin and make it look like I have a receding hairline. Always been that way. It's a little better when I get the henna really good right there, but when my roots grow out, it looks even worse.

Lady Mary
August 23rd, 2009, 11:59 AM

Same, I saw the "delicate" line and thought exactly that :D

To the OP, I'm a natural red head and if I pull my hair back (bun, pony tail, what have you) I can usually see lines of scalp on my head. I have very straight and fine hair. I try to not pull my hair too tightly back, as it makes the problem worse. If my hair is loose, I can mush it around a bit to hide the scalp lines.

spidermom
August 23rd, 2009, 12:02 PM
I've read in several places (magazine article, web sites) that blondes have the most hair follicles of any color. For example, the Hairfinder site.

rhubarbarin
August 23rd, 2009, 12:09 PM
I am blondish (and also reddish in some lights), and although I am on the low side of ii I have thick, poofy roots. I have a double crown so sometimes there's a line of scalp back there, and the hair at my temples is platinum so it looks thinner than darker hair. But you'd have to dig to see it anywhere else.

I think seeing the scalp is an issue of fine hair and straight hair as well as thickness. Lots of natural blondes and redheads I know have very fine or thinner hair (curly or straight). If you can see their scalp it is usually pink! I also know plenty of dark-haired people with fine or thinner hair. If anything it's more noticeable on them, especially if their scalp is pale..

Maddy25
August 24th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Again, Im another natural blonde with fine hair but it is surprisingly thick. Ivve never had issues with my scalp showing through at all.