PDA

View Full Version : Hot new trend: crazy-tight ballerina bun

Alia
August 22nd, 2009, 07:06 PM
I happened upon this quite by accident:
http://www.elle.com/Beauty/Hair/Hair-Trends-Ballerina-Bun

I'm not sure why the bun has to be so terribly tight, other than that the designer doesn't have to wear it. Traction alopecia, anyone? ;) Also, if you've followed the hacked, striped, fried hair trend, you'd have a heck of a time trying to achieve this look.

GlassEyes
August 22nd, 2009, 07:10 PM
Uh, erm...

My buns look like that. They aren't really all that tight, but they do look like that from the front.

Flynn
August 22nd, 2009, 07:11 PM
Tight because... that's just what a ballet bun is, perhaps? Smooth, sleek, and high. If it wasn't so tight-looking, it kind of wouldn't be a ballerina bun. (Actually, none of those are proper ballet buns, they stick out too much, and aren't high enough.)

As for traction alopecia, naah. Even when I had classes four days a week, my hairline problem was still that it was too far forward! There was one girl in the class who might have, or her hairline might have been like that anyway, but she wore high, tight ponytails all day, every day. I wouldn't be surprised if she even slept in one.

Lady Mary
August 22nd, 2009, 07:22 PM
Long hair in a bun a hot new trend, eh? I thought we just saw a style article about the "death of long hair." Got to love the fashion industry. :rolleyes:

MotherConfessor
August 22nd, 2009, 07:30 PM
Well, you can call a it a ballerina bun or a librarian bun or a matron bun, its just a tight bun. I love fashion designers pretension!

Plus, for gods sake some one feed those girls a sandwich.

Camee
August 22nd, 2009, 07:39 PM
What I want to know is how it's supposed to look clean and tidy if a brush isn't used. I know my straight, fine hair won't go up tidily without a brush!

Carolyn
August 22nd, 2009, 07:48 PM
I don't think they look all that tightly done. I think they are just smoothed back. The article said they used a spray and a toothbrush to tame the fly aways. I love that bit of advice. The buns pictured look a lot like the bun Carolyn Bessette Kennedy wore.

Pegasus Marsters
August 22nd, 2009, 08:17 PM

If you saw a fat person would you comment "For God's sake, someone hand that girl a slimfast!"

No?

I didn't think so.

Comments like that are plain rude, no matter who you're aiming them at.

Tanuki
August 22nd, 2009, 08:32 PM
Indeed. Then again, fat people have been fighting for their rights a lot longer than skinny people...

Fat power

...and quite frankly, America seems to be much more accepting of the obese when fat people are considered Jolly and funny. Skinny people are considered bony and severe. Plus the media has really begun pushing making fun of skinny people by plus sized people at a stab at humor.

Is it right? No. Unfortunately, that's what your working with. If you hope to enact change, prepare for a long fight. I'm currently busy trying to get people to learn how to behave in a library

Back on the main subject. I grew up in Brooklyn where for a long time, the look was pulling the hair back in a SEVERE ponytail and shellacking (It's probably misspelled but I'm too lazy to check)it in place with as much hairspray as they can afford into this shell and I sat there asking myself why they bothered having hair if they were going to push it so far down we could see the shape of their skull. At that point just shave your head of everything except the ponytail hair and spraypaint the rest of the hair on. This is nothing new to me

Fireweed
August 22nd, 2009, 08:48 PM
My bun looks like that too and I have a lot of hair. I use oil to get the look.

Zombiekins
August 22nd, 2009, 08:50 PM
Uh, erm...

My buns look like that. They aren't really all that tight, but they do look like that from the front.

Mine too. I think my hair just goes really flat when it's pulled back. Because they pull here and there, but it's not really "tight". And my hair looks slicked back and flat. Kind of a bummer actually, I like my updos to have some poof. :p

Flynn
August 22nd, 2009, 08:58 PM
Mine too. I think my hair just goes really flat when it's pulled back. Because they pull here and there, but it's not really "tight". And my hair looks slicked back and flat. Kind of a bummer actually, I like my updos to have some poof. :p

(Have you tried pulling it back, then holding it a little away from where you'd put the tie or start twisting normally, or for a tight style, and then, (how to explain...?) holding the ponytail with one hand, without sliding your hand along the hair, pusing the lot forward gently a couple of times to "puff" it back up again? Makes a world of difference for me...)

Magdalene
August 22nd, 2009, 09:03 PM
Huh. we wore our buns at the nape of our necks for ballet. lol.

BranwenWolf
August 22nd, 2009, 09:06 PM
If I wore my bun that tight....
hello, migraine!

Copasetic
August 22nd, 2009, 09:10 PM
My buns look like that all the time. It might look tight, but mine definitely don't feel tight. I can't stand the feeling of tight hair.

nowxisxforever
August 22nd, 2009, 09:12 PM
Long hair in a bun a hot new trend, eh? I thought we just saw a style article about the "death of long hair." Got to love the fashion industry. :rolleyes:

;) Gotta love it. :cheese:

nowxisxforever
August 22nd, 2009, 09:18 PM
Lol, I love it.

nowxisxforever
August 22nd, 2009, 09:20 PM
Also: http://www.elle.com/Beauty/Hair/Beauty-Trend-Rectangular-Chignon

heidihug
August 22nd, 2009, 09:39 PM
Those buns are not all that tight-looking. Mine always look like that, other than that I wear my buns situated farther up on my head. In fact, for those of us with straight, fine and/or thin hair - our buns usually look like that. I recently grew out my fringe enough so it can be pulled back into my bun, and I am growing used to the severe-ishness of that look. I must admit, it's really not all that flattering on me, as I am neither skinny nor young, and I might have more than one chin depending upon the angle. But, it is practical and comfortable.

To achieve a very sleek look, all I have to do is use a damp comb to smooth the hair back from my face after bunning it. Very occasionally I do use a spritz of hairspray to keep it all looking neat, especially if it's a windy day.

For years, I've seen models with this hairstyle, I don't think it's anything new on the runway. But someone decided to declare it one of the "looks" for the season, I guess.

Flynn
August 22nd, 2009, 09:47 PM
Huh. we wore our buns at the nape of our necks for ballet. lol.

Yeah, there's two conventions: napes, with the ears covered, and usually with a little short part in the front, and high, slicked-back and absolutely flat to the head. The new RAD requirement for examinations is the latter, and it seems to be more popular in general at the moment. I think RAD changed over about... fifteen years ago? Not sure.

SimplyViki
August 22nd, 2009, 09:52 PM
Hmm.... like others have said, my buns always look like that, my hair just goes flat in an updo.

Also, I love the tip about using a toothbrush to smooth flyaways.

Ruvie
August 22nd, 2009, 09:56 PM
Is it just me who thinks this, but do all the models look a bit goofy or what? lol

nowxisxforever
August 22nd, 2009, 10:00 PM
Hmm.... like others have said, my buns always look like that, my hair just goes flat in an updo.

Also, I love the tip about using a toothbrush to smooth flyaways.

Mine does too, although I usually have my center part in with updos-- my hair follicles tend to ache if I pull it all back, so I don't get that slicked-back look the models have.

I'm trying to train it right now to not ache, so I've got all slickly pulled back with a little barrette keeping the center hair separated. It hurts when I take it down usually :(

RavennaNight
August 22nd, 2009, 11:00 PM
Those buns aren't too tight. They got whisps and they are soft around the face. I thought when I clicked I would see the hairstyles likened to what i saw in Harper's Bazaar fall issue. Think "Robert Plant- Simply Irresistable" look with the makeup too.

aisling
August 23rd, 2009, 12:03 AM
That's how my simple bun looks when I just pull my hair back in the morning before I wash my face :)

I think there's a language confusion here, the one who've written the story hasn't a such accurate hair vocabulary like LHC:ers. I think they've confused smooth with tight as that's a (pretty) smooth look compared to what you often see in the fashion world. It's just like fine and thin hair, fine hair isn't necessarily thin but often thin hair is called fine.

Syaoransbear
August 23rd, 2009, 12:41 AM
I danced ballet for 13 years and that is not a ballerina bun. Those would come out in a second if those girls actually danced.

Golden Mermaid
August 23rd, 2009, 12:53 AM
Look, LHC!

We're IN STYLE.

weeeeeeeeird.

:cheese:

Renbirde
August 23rd, 2009, 12:55 AM
Hurr. So I'm no longer completely fashion-lacking for not bothering to backcomb my hair? :rolleyes: Finally, a fad that favors the way I act.

:cheese:

Feye
August 23rd, 2009, 02:32 AM
My mother recently sent me an article about how buns are coming into fashion. Messy or tight didn't matter, all sorts of buns are trendy.

Traction Alopecia is no joke, I therefore try to vary my updos. If my scalp feel sore I wear my hair down for a while. The ballerina bun (according to the instructions in the text) seems very tight indeed.

Boudicca
August 23rd, 2009, 04:54 AM
My buns always look like that. I have been noticing a bit of hairline thinning, though, and now I'm worried. Could I be risking traction alopecia?

Those buns in the pic, incidentally, are nothing to true ballet buns. Little bunhead girls would sneer at the messiness of those buns :D I watched a documentary about the Royal Ballet School which showed the girls doing each other hair, and they were actually using metal head lice combs to get their hair smooth enough for the bun. I'll see if I can find the clip on Youtube.

I still do ballet and find a braided bun holds best for me.

Gulbahar
August 23rd, 2009, 05:13 AM
If you saw a fat person would you comment "For God's sake, someone hand that girl a slimfast!"

No?

I didn't think so.

Comments like that are plain rude, no matter who you're aiming them at.
Thanks, Pegs! I was going to say something along that line .....
As for the buns - mine look the same and they are not tight.

Medievalmaniac
August 23rd, 2009, 05:21 AM
I'm not nearly as excited about the buns - which look like the one I wear pretty much every day - as the second dress in the slide show, the wine colored Grecian? Mmmmm....YUMMY. :)

embee
August 23rd, 2009, 05:26 AM
If I had enough hair (hah, score one for thin hair) I'd cover my ears in the older ballet bun style, but it won't work - my ear tops will poke through. Alas. My bun almost always gives that look, slicked back and tight, but it doesn't feel tight.

If I make a looser bun it all slides out and away in about 10 minutes so there it is, snug and slicked back. My birth family tend to high foreheads anyway.

I didn't think the bun in the photo looked tight. In fack the bun itself looked pretty floppy.

Newniepg
August 23rd, 2009, 05:31 AM
I think this look is very elegant actually, I don't know if I would find it comfortable if it was that tight though.

However, being short and ever so slightly dumpy I doubt it would look as elegant on me as it does the ladies in the picture. :)

oogie
August 23rd, 2009, 05:35 AM
YEAH - buns be in STYLE woohoo! Make me wonder how many folks that did the Katie Holmes (Cruise) cut feel about right now. Just goes to show my theory that if you stick with classic looks, they always come into fashion sooner or later.

All I'm going to say about the sandwich and slimfast comments, can't we have a bit of chocolate cake and get along? :flower: I myself think that some models are simply too thin. Some do suffer from eating disorders which are just as bad if not worse than overeating. Either way, it's all opinion as to a person being underweight or overweight by appearance. What one might think too thin, another might see too thick. The more important thing is a person's self image. True? What someone else thinks, whether stated face to face or on a message board someone might not read, it's up to individuals to be happy with themselves.

Hugs!

Medievalmaniac
August 23rd, 2009, 06:59 AM
plus, you HAVE to take age/genetics into consideration...most of these models look to be no more than 16, 17, 18 years old. I know that I was rail-thin until my twenties, and I ate like a horse, while my sister watched every mouthful and was a size 12 at her smallest...it's genetics. I got the Irish genes, she got the German genes (in no way implying that all Irish are thin and all German are hefty, but in our ancestral family photos all of OUR Irish were thin and all of OUR Germans were hefty). She's never had kids, and she is now probably a 16. After two kids, I'm still a size 6, although I definitely have hips and thighs - and trust me, I am not starving! lolol While we both work out, neither of us does it to excess, and for me it's more about burning off temper tantrums and stress management than weight management, because my weight doesn't budge no matter how much or often I work out either in terms of loss or gain - to judge from my mom, I will always be within five pounds of 140, unless preggo. My oldest daughter is 5 and she can still wear size 24 month shorts. My youngest daughter is almost 2 and she is pushing 3Ts. They eat the same foods at the same times.

I just totally ignore size and weight discussions generally, for these very reasons - in my experience, they just aren't tenable, because there are too many factors entirely beyond our control.

eresh
August 23rd, 2009, 07:46 AM
At the bottom of that page is a link "View more ballerina updos here..."
I clicked it...I was disappointed.
Where are the buns? I see only models.
Turn around please! :rolleyes:

And imho, there's a difference between being slim-built/thin and being skinny.
These models (the ones in photo 2 and photo 5 in that 2nd link, not the others) look unhealthy to me, not from being naturally thin.
(I'm looking at it with a "personal experience" with being skinny not from being naturally thin -view....look at their eyes, it's the hollow stare, and the proportion headsize-bodysize)

Me thinking this does in no way means I hate thin ladies or that it is meant to insult thin ladies by saying how these girls appear to me.

marikamt
August 23rd, 2009, 09:12 AM

Laughing so hard can't even speak...... so sad for all the girlies who read the first article and cut off all their hair to be "in" (obviously not LHCers).....:bounce:
This is why being true to your OWN style is the most important....

Teacherbear
August 23rd, 2009, 09:41 AM
This thread is about the hair style, not the weight of the models. Please comment on the thread's topic.

marzipanthecat
August 23rd, 2009, 10:15 AM
Back on the main subject. I grew up in Brooklyn where for a long time, the look was pulling the hair back in a SEVERE ponytail and shellacking (It's probably misspelled but I'm too lazy to check)it in place with as much hairspray as they can afford into this shell and I sat there asking myself why they bothered having hair if they were going to push it so far down we could see the shape of their skull. At that point just shave your head of everything except the ponytail hair and spraypaint the rest of the hair on. This is nothing new to me

That pulled-back-REALLY-tight look for hair (whether it is a ponytail or in a bun) is commonly called a "Croydon Facelift" in the UK - because so many young women in the area had it (they still do). I never saw Kate Moss with it though! (and she's from Croydon). But as one of the local Croydon newspapers pointed out, even a fine Egyptian queen once had it as a style:
http://www.croydonguardian.co.uk/news/564189.the_true_hair_to_the_chav_throne/

Lady Mary
August 23rd, 2009, 12:19 PM
This is why being true to your OWN style is the most important....

Agree 100%! :cheese:

rhubarbarin
August 23rd, 2009, 03:02 PM
I must be the 15th person to say this but my buns can look like that too. I don't have a ton of hair, and it pulls back very sleekly with no effort or brush/comb (even though it's curly).

I don't like the way I look with my hair skinned back, though, so I usually take care to leave it looser on my scalp when I put it up.

Amara
August 23rd, 2009, 03:02 PM
Woohoo! I am wearing a hot new trend!

:rolleyes:

JamieLeigh
August 24th, 2009, 08:44 AM
I always thought that if my buns looked that messy, I wasn't doing them right. If I'd known I was that trendy, I'd have left them alone. :eyebrows:

Tanuki
August 24th, 2009, 09:26 AM
The idea is to look like you just rolled out of bed, and I don't mean that in the "just woke up" sense. Kind of like carefully disheveled hair and using poison to make your eyes dilate in the middle ages (they really did it) the idea is to make yourself look aroused and sexy. It seems weird, but that's most of what I can figure out about fashion

David's Bride
August 24th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Those buns aren't too tight. They got whisps and they are soft around the face. I thought when I clicked I would see the hairstyles likened to what i saw in Harper's Bazaar fall issue. Think "Robert Plant- Simply Irresistable" look with the makeup too.

That wasn't Robert Plant. Plant was the singer of Led Zeppelin and I adored him! I can't think of the guy's name now either. Sorry. I just had to clear that up because Robert Plant was my absolute favorite sexy guy of all time (back in the '70's).

Fractalsofhair
August 24th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Hmmm, my buns(when my hair was longer) looked like that if I weighed down my hair enough. It's not that hard, or terribly dangerous to hair depending on your hair type. If you weigh it down first, it's better than if you try to make it tighter to make it look sleeker.

heidihug
August 24th, 2009, 01:08 PM
That wasn't Robert Plant. Plant was the singer of Led Zeppelin and I adored him! I can't think of the guy's name now either.

Robert Palmer, bless him. I once dressed up as an "Addicted to Love" dancer for Halloween. That was about 50 lbs ago, though!

Medievalmaniac
August 24th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Robert Palmer. :)

Anje
August 24th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Also: http://www.elle.com/Beauty/Hair/Beauty-Trend-Rectangular-Chignon
Why is she wearing a pie plate on her head?

KatKeRo
August 24th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Because it's fashion.

Eireann
August 24th, 2009, 03:00 PM
I think they look cute, and not all that tight. That's what fine, thin hair looks like when pulled back.

teela1978
August 24th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Did anyone else see this thing on homemade bungees for ponytails (http://www.elle.com/Beauty/Hair/Hairstyle-Tips-Budge-Proof-Pony) a couple of pages in????? I think I need to try it out one of these days

curls2grow
August 24th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Those buns don't look tight to me. Just sleek and smooth, which might make them look tight, I think.

Yayasmurf
August 24th, 2009, 05:57 PM

My thoughts exactly... the whole time I was viewing the photos. :yumm:

I think I like the loose buns much better. I have always went for the loose Geisha style myself. :)