PDA

View Full Version : To all the daily washers

sahiba
April 16th, 2008, 02:39 AM
... how often do you clean your combs and brushes?

Cricket
April 16th, 2008, 03:39 AM
I quickly clean them every day after use. Once every two weeks or so, I go through and make sure that there is no buildup of any kind.

Sillage
April 16th, 2008, 07:12 AM
Once a week when I wash my make up brushes. Right now I'm only using my Mason Pearson combs, and they're easy to clean (much quicker than oiling my horn comb or cleaning out my bbb :D).

young&reckless
April 16th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Since I almost always take a bath they just go in there with me daily. I clean them with peroxide about one a month to to be careful as I take my comb with me wherever I go.

domonic_uk
April 16th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Clean them every time I wash my hair

Lamb
April 16th, 2008, 01:22 PM
I only use a comb and it is easy to clean, so I wash it every day or every other day, before I detangle my freshly washed hair with it.

Cinnamon Hair
April 16th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Umm, never? I don't brush regularly so those are cleaned next to never (maybe 3 times total in the last year). Combs only get rinsed at the sink if they fall on the floor or are dusty from sitting out.

Riot Crrl
April 16th, 2008, 02:12 PM
I only use a shower comb. I clean it every time in the shower. It gets conditioner all over it. Oh and a scalp brush, same deal.

AJoifulNoise
April 16th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Umm, never? I don't brush regularly so those are cleaned next to never (maybe 3 times total in the last year). Combs only get rinsed at the sink if they fall on the floor or are dusty from sitting out.

Oh, I'm glad to hear you say that. :lol: I was starting to think I was alone in this.

Jannike
April 16th, 2008, 02:21 PM
I never clean my combs either. I remove the hair on them though :rolling:
I do have an old silverbacked brush that smells a bit funny, it's from 1919. I would like to clean it properly but I don't know how to do it without ruining it. It's wooden and have natural bristles of some sort.

jojo
April 16th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Oh, I'm glad to hear you say that. :lol: I was starting to think I was alone in this.

phew! i too thought i was the only one!:rolleyes:

mommy101405
April 16th, 2008, 04:52 PM

me too! :D I am wondering what's the best way to clean a wooden comb though. I got one from the body shop and the label left sticky stuff on the comb :rolleyes:

Sillage
April 16th, 2008, 05:25 PM
I have one wooden comb (very fine teeth) and I clean it with oil the way I do for my horn comb.

Jeni
April 16th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Yea, I never clean my brushes either, outside of emptying out hair. Maybe I should......

Jeni

tuuli
April 16th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Only on occassion.
I simply pull the hairs out my BBB and every six month the bristles get a shampoo wash. Combs just need a damp cloth. Thats all. :)

Cinnamon Hair
April 16th, 2008, 09:32 PM
I never clean my combs either. I remove the hair on them though :rolling:
I do have an old silverbacked brush that smells a bit funny, it's from 1919. I would like to clean it properly but I don't know how to do it without ruining it. It's wooden and have natural bristles of some sort.

Considering your brush is an antique, do this at your own risk. First use either your hand or another brush (do you have a brush cleaner?) to remove all the shed hairs and fuzz. For boar bristle brushes (BBB's) from the $10 Sally's brand to the super expensive Mason Pearson brushes I fill a small bowl with water, add some shampoo and swish the water with my hand to build up a lot of suds. Then I dip ONLY THE BRISTLES into the water and shake the brush back and forth a few times. Never at any time should you hold or lay the brush any way except bristle side down or water can become trapped in the rubber cushion, so be careful. If you have a brush cleaner or a cheap brush you can use that to brush your brush :p if you like. Then fill your bowl with clean water and swish your brush bristle side down in it again until all the soap is out. Dry it on a cloth bristle side down. Some wet brushes will stink like a wet dog or worse, they're made of natural bristles afterall, but that smell should go away not long after they dry. A few bristles may fall out in the process and is perfectly normal (good reason not to clean them too often).

shellblue1
April 16th, 2008, 10:19 PM
I don't really clean my comb either. The closest I get to cleaning is rubbing a towel over it while the comb is damp so that it helps remove any residue from products, etc. I guess I'm a little lazy lol.

Elistariel
April 16th, 2008, 10:54 PM
... how often do you clean your combs and brushes?
honestly? Unless there's a rat's nest in there or it's starting to gain length of it's own. Never. I just don't think to. I comb as needed and go. Sometimes I have to hunt my comb down when I get back home 'cause I've absentmindedly set it down somewhere in the house.

Medievalhair
April 17th, 2008, 12:12 AM

Me too. I don't use my BBB enough to clean it but every 6 months. Combs I never clean them, never need to be.