PDA

View Full Version : French twist help? (Waist+ hair)

meichigo
April 16th, 2008, 02:18 AM
I would really like to do a french twist but can't quite seem to make it work... I tried using the directions here: http://www.network54.com/Forum/242462/thread/1047277717/French+Twist but I have to fold my hair about three times which makes it kind of difficult to stuff under. In particular I have difficulty getting the bottom, by the nape of my neck, to stay in; let alone getting the whole thing to just STAY PUT :evil:

I also tried the "log roll" that is in the articles section (that video is entrancing... what amazing hair!) but I think my hair is too SHORT for that. Seems as though there is no winning.

Right now my hair is at a length that is about at the very top of my pelvis (~3" below waist). Since my hair is so straight, it is also a bit slippery... I would prefer a method that doesn't require 10 bobby pins or anything as I tend to put my hair up in the middle of class and don't really want to mess with more than 2 hair toys lest I become too distracting (or distracted).

Any insight would be very appreciated

eadwine
April 16th, 2008, 05:19 AM
Too short for a log roll? That is hard to grasp. How big are you making that first stem thing, the part that you twist the hair around?

I mean.. I can do a log roll and I am MUCH shorter than you are.

It looks more like this though for me: link (http://s84.photobucket.com/albums/k24/ohiolisa06/?action=view&current=logroll.flv)

willowcandra
April 16th, 2008, 06:38 AM
This is how I learned to do it past waist. hth
http://classiclength.home.mchsi.com/french_twist_instructions/index.html

squiggyflop
April 16th, 2008, 06:41 AM
Too short for a log roll? That is hard to grasp. How big are you making that first stem thing, the part that you twist the hair around?

I mean.. I can do a log roll and I am MUCH shorter than you are.

It looks more like this though for me: link (http://s84.photobucket.com/albums/k24/ohiolisa06/?action=view&current=logroll.flv)
i cant get my hair to do a log roll either... perhaps it depends on the cut and thickness of the person's hair... im starting to have trouble with french twists because of the length.... i find that i cant get it to all stay tucked under unless i use a beak clip to hold it up instead of a fork... also i try to twist it as loose as i can in order to have room to stuff the rest of my hair under

Anje
April 16th, 2008, 07:29 AM
I can't offer much French twist help, since they always seem to fall out for me, but I thought I'd suggest that you could always do other updos when you want to quickly get your hair out of the way in class.

I'm going to suggest doing an "Orchid wrap" (instructions below) because I find it holds very well with one stick (or pencil) that you can easily have with you. It also has that rare virtue of falling out very nicely when you yank the stick.

Originally Posted by ajr
1. Hold hair in unsecured pony with left hand. Right hand hold a hairstick horizontally above the pony (pointing at 9 o'clock).
2. Flip the pony up over the stick, then down on the left side of the head. (The tail is now hanging behind the stick on the left side.
3. Rotate the stick CW. I usually rotate until it points at 1-2 o'clock position. Don't hold the tail firmly when you do this, let it loosen if it wants (as long as it's still wrapped around the stick), otherwise it will be too tight.
4. Wrap tail loosely in the CCW direction around the whole thing, behind the stick. Tuck ends under.
5. Pick up the scalp hair and invert the stick like normal (From 1-2 o'clock to 7-8 o'clock position). Come up over the loop(s) you made in step 4. The stick will keep the loop(s) in place. You may have to loosen these loops (that you made in step 4) a bit if it feels too tight.

birdiefu
April 16th, 2008, 09:21 AM
I can't help you with the FT, as I could barely do it with hair around the length that it's easier with. But with a logroll, I don't do the 'pull through and twist' method either- my hair gets all messed up and some hairs sound like they break. How I do a logroll looks the same in the end, but is a bit different when putting it up:

Start twisting hair like you are making a bun lower on the head. Once you've twisted a good amount (without circling it like a bun), lay it straight up your head to the length you want your logroll to be (for me, about 5" or so). Holding with your other hand at the top, fold the rest of the length back down towards where you started twisting, and with that other hand twist the folded-over length in the opposite direction (so it becomes rope-like or fig-8 like). With the rest of the length, you can keep twisting if you like, or just loop it up and down around and behind the initial loop you made (using that second hand to hold everything in place as you go), then tuck the ends under. A Ficcare or slide works best with this for me, but I can manage it with a stick, too.

almudena
April 16th, 2008, 09:31 AM
I do it following Ficcare's instructions http://www.ficcare.com/videos.aspx

missy60
April 16th, 2008, 09:40 AM
I really am not good at updos and my hair isnt as long. I was thinking though could you do a tight braid and then try putting it up in the french twist. That would make your hair more compact and easier to work with. Well just a thought like I said Im not good at updos

AJoifulNoise
April 16th, 2008, 09:56 AM
I can only do a French Twist if I twist my hair in the opposite direction of what is comfortable for me. I normally twist to the right, so I have to twist to the left for this. I have no idea why this works...

Rheia Althia
April 28th, 2008, 01:00 PM
I just tried Ficcare's instructions and it worked! I've had problems with a french twist for years! My hair is just around my waist/lower back and it worked perfectly!

I can't believe it!
:bigeyes:

:cheese:

Silver rainbow
April 28th, 2008, 01:52 PM
I have struggled with the French twist since growing my hair. My hair is touching on tailbone and is a iii. I used the ficcare instructions a couple of week back and am now the proud owner of a french twist. I can hold it with a ficcare or a large flexi-8. There is no pouff at the top and it holds. So I would keep trying

meichigo
April 28th, 2008, 05:48 PM
A flexi-8, eh? Good to know, since I don't have a ficcare (and therefore assumed that those directions would be moot), but am a big fan of flexi-8.