PDA

View Full Version : Before No-Cone; Rinse?

Sha-na-na
August 21st, 2009, 06:54 PM
Okay, I am going to do it. I will listen to the majority here and take the no-cone plunge.

I am just about ready to start, but what I need to know is how to go about getting rid of the cones on my hair now.

Do I:

Clarify with any old clarifier (I have ION Clarifier)
ACV rinse
or a combination?

What would you do? :D Thanks for your advice!

Flynn
August 21st, 2009, 06:57 PM
ACV will not do anything. Clarify with either your clarifying shampoo, or with your normal shampoo.

Rohele
August 21st, 2009, 06:58 PM
I would just clarify with a clarifying shampoo (or any regular sls shampoo without cones).

melikai
August 22nd, 2009, 02:18 AM
I prefer to clarify by mixing an sls shampoo half and half with baking soda, then doing a vinegar rinse. I usually then rinse for a while with plain water and add a bit of (cone free) conditioner to my ends.

Renbirde
August 22nd, 2009, 02:58 AM
(Pardon my nattering...)

Yep, you'll want to clarify-- start no-cone with a bare slate, as it were. :) Just make sure to do something moisturizing afterward. You're going to loose a lot of your natural oils to the clarifier.

Baking soda can lift some sorts of buildup, but I don't know about cones-- I rather think it can't.
ACV is better as a rinse-- the acid helps smooth the cuticle and counteracts some of the effects of hard water, as well as restoring the proper pH after a baking soda or other basic rinse.

I had some issues with tangling and shine right after I switched. The shine came back in a few washes as my head adjusted-- if fact, I think it's shinier now than when I used cones. I think I just found the answer to my tangling problem though-- catnip tea. (There's a whole thread about it somewhere... "Catnip for split ends?" is the title, IIRC.) It's been long enough since I was coney that I don't remember exactly how many knots I had, but my hair was very easy to detangle after only one catnip soak, and I left the tea in for less than half the recommended time. :eyebrows: I'm looking forward to the results of doing it properly!

:cheese:

Copasetic
August 22nd, 2009, 05:10 AM
Here is a list of silicones and what cleansing agent will remove them: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curly-q-a/whats-the-scoop-on-silicones

Fiferstone
August 22nd, 2009, 08:39 AM
Good luck, I'd recommend clarifying as well (either with a shampoo with sulfates or baking soda). When I switched from using 'cones to no 'cones I had no idea about clarifying. As it turns out the 'poo bar I switched to was full of SLS (Lush Karma Komba), so it definitely clarified. I also discovered that, underneath the lovely 'coney "slip" given my hair by the Pantene I was using religiously (20+ years), I had dried out, crunchy hair. For me, it turned out my hair really didn't like cones. It put me on a "wash every other day" treadmill because by day 2 my hair near the scalp was a greaseball, but because I knew nothing about how to care for length, I was blithely shampooing the length and creating a lovely rat's nest of straw in the process. You may find (as many others have) that your hair likes 'cones and you'll find a way to use them to your advantage. I have found that my fine hair simply hates them and I do better with coconut oil, CWC, and ACV rinse as a leave-in. Good luck!