PDA

View Full Version : Reached a length you didn't like and cut back?

Amara
August 21st, 2009, 03:56 PM
I was wondering who here has reached a goal length and they cut back from that to a previous length.

For instance, I remember somebody mentioning that they'd grown to classic but been annoyed with that length, cut back to waist, and maintained there happily.

So, have you gotten to a length you were aiming for but then gone shorter again? What was the length you didn't like, and what was it about it that made you want to go shorter again? What length did you end up with (as much as any of us "end up" with a length... I know goals constantly change)?

I am currently between hips and tailbone and the only thing I don't like about it is wearing it down to dance and getting it all sweaty. :D

Belledandy
August 21st, 2009, 04:19 PM
I cut mine to waist after just barely hitting classic because it seemed (at the time) to be too much hassle with dried tangled ends and I never could seem to put it up properly. I've since learned how to manage my hair better and would like to go that long again, but if it was too much work I'd cut it to waist with no regrets.

Longlocks3
August 21st, 2009, 05:36 PM
Well I'm almost classic and tried wearing it down for the first time in a couple months. That lasted about half the day. I'm not sure how I feel about being at a length that must be up to go out. But I don't think I'm ready to cut back.

krn2891
August 21st, 2009, 05:55 PM
I'm at tailbone and I really want to get to Classic but I have been thinking about cutting back to hip at the point just because it is getting hard to wear it down. But I really want to see Classic and then I will decide if I will stay at that length, go longer or cut back.

ladylibra
August 21st, 2009, 08:37 PM
I did some snipping back a few months ago. But, it's because I have layers. My longest layer was MBL and my shortest was barely APL... basically, I had a curly mullet when shrunken and it didn't look good at all! I trimmed it back to BSL and my hair looked much better.

I'm still trying to get to full waist length, and we'll see after that if I wanna cut my hair back or just maintain. :D

Cherry_Sprinkle
August 21st, 2009, 09:05 PM
I hit waist length a few years back, loved it for a while, but I was bleaching so it wasn't so healthy and i just grew to hate it so i chopped to shoulder length.. loving my hair a lot more this time around though :)

Deborah
August 21st, 2009, 10:29 PM
When mine hits a little below tailbone, it bugs me. It just seems to get in the way, and buns feel too heavy. I generally snip back to waist and am happy again. So I mostly keep it somewhere around waist to the very beginning of tailbone. Once in a while I will cut a few inches above waist. I never regret any cut. My hair grows extremely fast, and I think a nice cut is good for it. I don't like the look of what we call 'classic' on this list, so I'll probably never let it get that long. Works for me. :)

82exoticbeauty
August 22nd, 2009, 12:37 AM
The last time I reached a length was 2007 because of the bleaching color I did was Clairol blonde thingy, but I have virgin hair growing from the roots to the middle which is closer to waist! It did made my hair dry from middle to ends and I had a V shape hair at the bottom so I let my mom cut it to waist!
I didn't like about the color and how my hair is and had to cut it back to grow out the half dark brown-blonde hair and go back to just dark brown and color again with almost dark brown hair!
So much hassle on that length and I felt :mad:upset and :)happy, upset that my hair from classic to the waist! But, I am happy:) that my hair that has a blonde dye from it was cut and I can be able to grow my natural color out again!:cheese:

Amoretti
August 22nd, 2009, 03:32 AM
I was at mid thigh a month ago and cut it back to just below classic. I'm really happy with my thick new ends now and my hair feels great. :) I still have to put it up all the time though.

Carolyn
August 22nd, 2009, 06:24 AM
Earlier this summer I cut from almost tailbone to waist. It was a total of 5" cut in 2 trim sessions, 3 weeks apart. About 18 months before I cut from getting past tailbone to hips, again about 5". Both times I had to weigh the postive an negative things about the longer lengths and about cutting. The negative out-weighted the positive. Once my hair gets past my hips, it's difficult for me to deal with when wearing it down. My ends thinned out and my braid tassel was like a little rat's tail. My hair grows to a point at center back, so the center part reaches the longer lengths months before the sides ever would. So to avoid the dreaded "V" shape, I have to trim a lot off. I find I'm liking waist length a lot and not missing the longer length as much as I thought I might. I have a vague plan of maintaining here for a few months to hopefully achieve a thicker and blunter hemline and then giving tailbone length a try again. I miss the "ass tickle" and I want to do it again just to do it, but I've discovered I like waist length a lot.

Tabitha
August 22nd, 2009, 07:06 AM
In February I'd reached a couple of inches below what had been my goal length of waist.

My hair (fine, thick and wurly) seemed to be tangling a lot more, making washing a pain and meaning that wearing it down was becoming problematic. It was taking even longer to dry - at least 6 hours. Suddenly my updos seemed not to be working because the ends were in a new place, but because of my thickness, I still didn't have enough length to do some of the pretty updos I'd been hoping to. Wearing it down, the length of hair seemed to be overwhelming my small features.

I cut back to BSL and have been very pleased, have no plans to grow longer again. I wear it down and enjoy it a lot more, but can still do updos when the weather is hot, or wet/windy. Washing is easier and drying takes a little less time (not much less though because it's the thickness that seems to affect that). Friends agreed that I looked younger and fresher.

Marbles
August 22nd, 2009, 07:13 AM
I got to about 5 inches past classic recently and cut back to a v shape just touching classic at it longest. Tbh I havent even noticed the difference, although I did wear it down the other day :) so hopefully at this length I will be able to enjoy it more.

My sister also reched classic and cut back to waist, she really likes it at waist now :)

Zombiekins
August 22nd, 2009, 09:33 AM
*raises hand* I'm one of those who got to classic and cut back - gave it a fair shake and everything. I have to admit, wearing braids at classic was nice, because it was sooo long and little girls were constantly in awe ("she has princess hair!"), but the awe of a little girl is simply not enough to make me want to deal with the hassle. *lol* I do anything physically (hair, clothes, makeup) for me, and only me. So while my classic length hair looked nice.......it got everywhere. It was never down because it ended up being sat on, traped underneath of me somehow, got in the way if I was cleaning or cooking. And forget about car rides - especially if the window was down! I think I wore it down maybe five times in three years. Once to a medievel fair, and a couple of times to a nice dinner. The detangling afterward was ridiculous (not like my hair was overly damaged either, just like to wrap around itself), and when it sat on the back of my neck it was too hot and there was sweatiness. All in all it was just a freaking hassle no matter how it was sliced.

Slowly cutting it back to just below bsl/waisty area made me love my hair again and appreciate how nice it really is. And updos aren't as labor intensive, *and* hennaing isn't such a bloody headachey nightmare. :) Win-win for all. Maybe one day I'll grow it back out, but it's unlikely. At a certain length my hair is very heavy in updos and pulls at the scalp too much.

LisaJaney
August 22nd, 2009, 10:19 AM
I got to between tailbone and classic and cut back to waist (after cutting-in layers which really helped it look fuller, for me) and am now at about BSL and like it there. I'll stay between BSL and Waist from now on. My hair's too fairytale to have it longer than that, and all-one-length looks dreadful on MY hair. Toooooo fairytale.

LadyLongLocks
August 22nd, 2009, 11:01 AM
Well I'm almost classic and tried wearing it down for the first time in a couple months. That lasted about half the day. I'm not sure how I feel about being at a length that must be up to go out. But I don't think I'm ready to cut back.

I know what you mean! I can't stand mine down now.

I am at knee and thinking of going back to classic. But I am not ready yet. I liked the ends way better and it was easier to manage, like drying, wearing it down etc.
I never wear my hair down anymore due to the length. Plus I don't like the attention and shock it causes in public, so I hide it.

This is the longest my hair has ever been. Longer is not always better.

justme
August 22nd, 2009, 11:35 AM
I was just above knee and trimmed over a few months to finally hit classic a few weeks ago. I've had thinning problems that are improving and I may grow it back again, but right now I'm enjoying the thicker ends and relative ease of classic vs. (almost) knee. I might even go as short as hip, but I can't imagine any shorter. Unless longer lengths are easier with thicker hair with blunt ends, I'll probably end up between tailbone and thigh/classic for most of the forseeable future.

Amraann
August 22nd, 2009, 11:50 AM
I do this a lot!

Usually when it hits my tail bone or slightly longer I feel the need to cut it to my hips.
I just did so about 3 weeks ago cutting off about 4-5 inches.

Now I will probably let it grow until it gets on my nerves again. Then I will trim it back to my hips.