PDA

View Full Version : Going to salon, how to prepair

Michiru
April 16th, 2008, 01:17 AM
Is there anything I should do before going to get my hair cut? I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to just not wash my hair until my appointment (sat). Or would it be a better idea to oil my hair. I'm also considering bringing in my own shampoo and conditioner (madora). I have read the thread about getting hair cuts with dry hair but I'm still not fully convinced I should request that.

Does anybody else do anything special before they get cut? And yes, I know there aren't many here who go to get cuts but yeah, maybe just something that would be a good idea.

Anlbe
April 16th, 2008, 01:23 AM
I write down what I want on a piece of paper, that way I'm less likely to be talked into getting something I don't want and the hairdresser realises I am serious about taking half an inch off, not having layers, now allowing them to brush my hair and cutting my hair dry-no spritz (I have alot of variety in my hair an if it's wet to cut I don't get a poor finish). Also I take my own comb and comb my hair myself before they start- which they always appreciate when they have to comb my hair later and realise it does indeed knot by itself.

Tapioca
April 16th, 2008, 10:52 AM
I've learned the hard way not to have them wash my hair. When they put it in the sink, it gets horribly tangeled, then they rip through it with a comb. If I wash it in the shower, then go over there with wet hair, it goes so much nicer. They don't mind not washing it, as long as it's clean. They may have to spritz it with water if it's dried.

TammySue
April 16th, 2008, 11:00 AM
I've learned the hard way not to have them wash my hair. When they put it in the sink, it gets horribly tangeled, then they rip through it with a comb. If I wash it in the shower, then go over there with wet hair, it goes so much nicer. They don't mind not washing it, as long as it's clean. They may have to spritz it with water if it's dried.

Yes, what Tapioca said. Also, if you are just going for a trim, make them measure with a tape measure or ruler and SHOW you how much they are going to trim off before they do it! (trust me - I've asked for a 1 inch trim and left with 4-5 inches gone).

Aljona
April 16th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Are you going to a new stylist or an old trusted one? I think stylist usually like to cut hair dry when they cut layers, that way they can see how the hair looks better and blend the layers in (sorry for my bad english). So I think it wouldn't matter if you go with already washed or dirty hair.

spidermom
April 16th, 2008, 11:17 AM
I get my hair cut by a stylist. I've been through quite a few over the years, but when I find one who is good, I stick with her. The most important thing is know exactly what you want and communicate that clearly. Don't start babbling away about things that you don't want and don't like; she could get confused.

Stay alert; pay attention. Anybody can make a mistake, and you have to be watching so that you can catch it early. For instance, if she's been layering hair all morning and you come in wanting NO layers, she could space out and start to cut layers. You can tell if she pulls your hair away from your head at an angle. That's where you have to say - "Stop! I don't want layers!" I agree with taking a ruler or tape measure and showing exactly how much you want cut off. You might even have her measure the length LHC style for you before and after - tell her you're keeping track of your hair growth and have to factor in trims.

Of course if your hair grows as unevenly as mine, giving a specific measurement that you want cut off isn't going to work. I usually say "snip off the oldest, driest-looking bits and make my hem-line into a nice, even U-shape again." When I look at the floor afterward, I will notice that there are bits as long as 1-2 inches along with what looks like dust. That's because I have a few areas where the hair growth is much faster than the rest.

I have gone in with clean hair so that my stylist only wets it down and uses conditioner to make the comb-out easier. She's very careful, so I don't have to worry about her ripping through tangles or messing my hair around so that it tangles in the sink.