PDA

View Full Version : stress?

virgogirl
April 16th, 2008, 01:08 AM
hey guys, I was just wondering if stress causing someone to lose their hair or stop hair from growing. I know this question sounds a little stupid...iam just curious!

PhillyGirl1978@
April 16th, 2008, 04:36 AM
I'm pretty sure it can, I think stress probably affects everything. It can make your skin break out, or you could get rashes, I think it can cause your hair to thin so I don't see why it wouldn't hinder growth. Stress sucks!lol

Katze
April 16th, 2008, 04:55 AM
You bet.

After starting a new job and the resultant stress being more than I'd ever had in my life, my hair fell out in handfuls all fall/winter. It's shedding a lot less now and I am trying to get a grip on my stress levels as well as cutting out white sugar and reducing coffee intake.

Stress affects the immune system as well as the entire being, and can show up in skin and hair problems, among others.

cindy58
April 16th, 2008, 05:09 AM
I think it does. After a divorce I seemed to go from shedding very little to hair all over my lap when I combed my hair for several months. It stopped and is back to what it used to be. I can see one place near the front where a little clump of hair that has regrown is a few inches long.

CitznMag
April 16th, 2008, 05:13 AM
Stress can definitely cause hair loss. My husband was diagnosed with leukemia in Nov 07. I would say about three months later I experienced an alarming amount of hair loss and terrible eczema (scratching now as I type, lol). It depressed me further to see such sad-looking thinning ends so I chopped off about 6 inches. I've made major changes in my diet and am finding other ways to relax and increase exercise. In the last couple of months it seems there is less shedding (skin still itches like a #@$%, though!) so whatever I'm doing is helping.

So relax, relate, release to keep you hair :).

mommy2one05
April 16th, 2008, 07:42 AM
I am shedding alot more due to stress of becoming a mother to my second child.
someone told me taking your b vitamins will help with stress and hair, but i just started last week so i dont notice any help yet

lora410
April 16th, 2008, 07:56 AM
Yes, it sure can. if I get extremly stresse dout my hair goes into a stall and sheds more.

Finoriel
April 16th, 2008, 08:26 AM
I have never been shedding more than the average 100 hairs, but I´m shedding much less when I eat healthy, sleep and exercise enough - feel happy and in peace all over. For me living more relaxed and taking the time I need, has definitely decreased the amount of hair I loose.

jojo
April 16th, 2008, 06:58 PM
yes certainly, people have been known to get alopecia due to stress. I certainly stall or grow much less when im stressed.

Anje
April 16th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Definitely. Stress can affect your health, your immune system, make your skin break out. No reason why it shouldn't affect your hair. Even more so if you have trichotillomania!

Legend
April 16th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Absolutely. My hair falls out when I'm stressed.

HeavenlyTresses
April 17th, 2008, 07:10 AM
Stress definately stalled my growth and the overall condition of my hair. I would wash it and let it dry before I detangled and it was almost one giant dreadlock. Not to mention the brush being completely full of shed hair.

peachy.pudding
April 17th, 2008, 07:50 AM
I would agree that it does, if stress is only for a short period your hair should not be overly affected but if you are frequently stressed out for long periods i am sure this will cause long term damage as well as premature grey hair.

Madam Librarian
April 17th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Oh yes!

I just went through a crazy stressful period beginning around the first of this year. My hair stopped growing for a few months, but I believe it's finally starting back again. I'm also lucky enough to struggle with cystic acne, rashes/hives, and digestive issues when stress hits. I absolutely believe that stress can affect the body in many ways, hair included.

Peachypudding, my momma always said that children are the cause of grey hairs. ;)