PDA

View Full Version : Can someone please explain all the CONE stuff?

marikamt
August 21st, 2009, 10:21 AM
Hello-

I am somewhat new here, and have read/ searched/ etc everything I was able to find on how to help my 1a/1b/M hair be it's very best.... I think I am a cone user..... I looked and they are in my shamp/ cond but not in huge quantities. I guess I like them, but not sure? I don't think I have been cone free? I have henna'd once and switched to CO wash this week... do like the results......
SO....... Should I cone or not cone?? How long do I try not cone? Does it matter if I am CO? :undecided:
thanks in advance-

krissykins
August 21st, 2009, 10:25 AM
You might want to check out this article:

To Cone or Not to Cone (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=13)

It might matter if you are a COer, as cones require sulfates to be removed. Not sure, hopefully someone who does know will come along

Darkhorse1
August 21st, 2009, 12:11 PM
I also wrote an article about cones...not sure how to post the link, but it's in my blog. I wrote it with new people in mind. Hope it helps! :)

Darkhorse1
August 21st, 2009, 12:17 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=151

Fractalsofhair
August 21st, 2009, 12:19 PM
If your hair likes cones, it's probably fine to use them. Otherwise, experiment with going cone free, and if you don't like it, you can always go back to cones.

marikamt
August 21st, 2009, 12:25 PM
Okay... at the risk of sounding like a total ding-dong..... If my hair feels/ looks okay, I should be fine w/ cones but might want to do an occasional clarify? But, I would "know" if my hair hated them due to it not behaving correctly?

LaurenH
August 21st, 2009, 12:27 PM
marikamt, thank you for starting this thread! :) I'm new here too, and have been wondering about cones as well.

krissykins, thanks for posting the link! :)

How do you tell if the shampoo and conditioner you're using does or doesn't contain cones?!

Renbirde
August 21st, 2009, 12:30 PM
marikamt, thank you for starting this thread! :) I'm new here too, and have been wondering about cones as well.

How do you tell if the shampoo and conditioner you're using does or doesn't contain cones?!
Check the ingredients list. :) Most 'cones end in -cone, -conol, or -xane.

marikamt
August 21st, 2009, 12:31 PM

It has ingredients that end in "one" or "cone"...... also, in the above link, krissykins has a "master list" of cones.

BlndeInDisguise
August 21st, 2009, 12:44 PM
Check the ingredients list. :) Most 'cones end in -cone, -conol, or -xane.

Actually, I think the ingredients that end it 'conol are preservatives. :)

twilight_faerie
August 21st, 2009, 01:42 PM
Okay... at the risk of sounding like a total ding-dong..... If my hair feels/ looks okay, I should be fine w/ cones but might want to do an occasional clarify? But, I would "know" if my hair hated them due to it not behaving correctly?

Yeah, pretty much. Cones can build up on your hair, making it look limp and lifeless; clarifying will fix that problem. You should be able to tell if your hair doesn't like cones if it looks limp every time you use a product that contains cones. You might try a product that doesn't contain cones, and one that does, and just see which one makes your hair look and feel better.

krissykins
August 21st, 2009, 02:33 PM
It's always nice to check and see if your hair would do better without cones by clarifying. My hair is fine if I use cones, but I love the natural shine my hair has, so I don't use them unless I want to wear my hair down. The cones *do* trap moisture in, as some products suggest, but most people prefer not to use them because they also end up trapping moisture out and require sulfates (clarifying, basically) to remove. A lot of people use oils instead. :)

LaurenH
August 21st, 2009, 03:43 PM
Yeah, pretty much. Cones can build up on your hair, making it look limp and lifeless; clarifying will fix that problem. You should be able to tell if your hair doesn't like cones if it looks limp every time you use a product that contains cones. You might try a product that doesn't contain cones, and one that does, and just see which one makes your hair look and feel better.
How do you clarify your hair? Should this be done before trying something cone free?

I just checked my conditioner/shampoo and they do contain cones. My hair has always been pretty limp, especially at the scalp - I thought it was just because my hair is thin... Could this possibly be due to cone buildup since I think I've probably always used cones? :confused: (even though I never new what they were until this week, lol. :p )
What are some good cone free shampoos, conditioners/leave in conditioners to try? Are there certain "cone free" brands? Also, are protein free and cone free the same? Or if something is cone free is it usually also protein free? Sorry for all the beginner questions! This stuff can be confusing when you're new to it!! :p

marikamt, sorry for posting my own questions in your thread! I apologize if this is rude! :oops:

I don't know if posting questions in someone else's thread of the same topic is considered rude or not? Am I supposed to ask my own questions in existing threads or should I start my own thread when I want to ask questions? :confused: Sorry, I'm new to all of this and am not sure of proper forum etiquette! :oops:

twilight_faerie
August 21st, 2009, 04:15 PM
How do you clarify your hair? Should this be done before trying something cone free?

I just checked my conditioner/shampoo and they do contain cones. My hair has always been pretty limp, especially at the scalp - I thought it was just because my hair is thin... Could this possibly be due to cone buildup since I think I've probably always used cones? :confused: (even though I never new what they were until this week, lol. :p )
What are some good cone free shampoos, conditioners/leave in conditioners to try? Are there certain "cone free" brands? Also, are protein free and cone free the same? Or if something is cone free is it usually also protein free? Sorry for all the beginner questions! This stuff can be confusing when you're new to it!! :p

marikamt, sorry for posting my own questions in your thread! I apologize if this is rude! :oops:

I don't know if posting questions in someone else's thread of the same topic is considered rude or not? Am I supposed to ask my own questions in existing threads or should I start my own thread when I want to ask questions? :confused: Sorry, I'm new to all of this and am not sure of proper forum etiquette! :oops:

You can clarify your hair by using a clarifying shampoo (I've heard good things about Suave clarifying shampoo, and it's super cheap) or by using a baking soda rinse. If you're converting to cone-free, yes, I'd recommend that you clarify first. Even if you're not converting, and plan on continuing to use cones (plenty of people do - if cones work for your hair, great!), it's good to clarify every now and then to remove coney buildup. It's quite possible that your limpness is due to cone buildup; try clarifying and see if you hair looks any better afterward.

Here's a list of cone-free conditioners: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2216. My personal favorites are VO5 Sun Kissed Raspberry and Suave Coconut. They're both cone free and cheap. Protein-free and cone-free aren't the same; if you're looking for protein-free, check out this link: http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=46633.

Hope that helps! :)

P.S. I think it's OK to post questions on someone else's topic as long as you're staying on the same topic.

Lilli
August 21st, 2009, 04:21 PM
For me, cones make my hair very smooth and straight at first. Then the ends of my hair get very crunchy. The cones prevent moisture from getting into the hair. Then I would have to strip them out with a very harsh shampoo all over (sometimes I used Dawn dish soap :o ) and start over. I have discovered that for me, cones are bad and my hair does much better without them. It is shinier and has more volume. My current favorites are Suave Ocean Mist S&C and Garnier Fructis Body Boost shampoo and Triple Nutrition conditioner. I cannot do a conditioner-only wash as it makes my hair dark and limp.

LaurenH
August 21st, 2009, 04:56 PM
For me, cones make my hair very smooth and straight at first. Then the ends of my hair get very crunchy. The cones prevent moisture from getting into the hair. Then I would have to strip them out with a very harsh shampoo all over (sometimes I used Dawn dish soap :o ) and start over. I have discovered that for me, cones are bad and my hair does much better without them. It is shinier and has more volume. My current favorites are Suave Ocean Mist S&C and Garnier Fructis Body Boost shampoo and Triple Nutrition conditioner. I cannot do a conditioner-only wash as it makes my hair dark and limp.

The Garnier Fructis Body Boost shampoo is cone free? Are cones in both shampoos and conditioners, or just in conditioners? I have that Garnier shampoo, their Length & Strength conditioner and the leave in conditioner (I forget what it's called) that I've been using lately (I'm always switching/rotating hair products, lol.) I like the shampoo a lot - love the smell! I checked the conditioner though, and it looks like there's a cone... :( Maybe I'll stick with the shampoo and try a cone free conditioner like Suave or VO5.

twilight_faerie, Thank you so much for all of the info! I really appreciate it! :)

Lilli
August 21st, 2009, 10:05 PM
The Garnier Fructis Body Boost shampoo is cone free? Are cones in both shampoos and conditioners, or just in conditioners? I have that Garnier shampoo, their Length & Strength conditioner and the leave in conditioner (I forget what it's called) that I've been using lately (I'm always switching/rotating hair products, lol.) I like the shampoo a lot - love the smell! I checked the conditioner though, and it looks like there's a cone... :( Maybe I'll stick with the shampoo and try a cone free conditioner like Suave or VO5.

twilight_faerie, Thank you so much for all of the info! I really appreciate it! :)

Body Boost is their only cone-free shampoo. Cones can be in either shampoo or conditioner. Shampoo with cones for me is worse because the buildup on my roots really flattens my hair.

marikamt
August 21st, 2009, 10:09 PM

No worries!! I don't find it rude at all- I have the same questions you do-

RavennaNight
August 21st, 2009, 11:04 PM
First off, I'd suggest experimenting to see how your hair is without them. That is what I did. I went cone-free and used VO5 and shampoo bars for approximately 2-3 months last winter. I clarified with vO5 clarifying shampoo first to see how I like it. I also hennaed, because that gave me a "clean slate."

My discovery was that my hair missed cones. The texture went all dry and frizzy and wouldn't look good down. It was tangly and unmanageable so up up up it went. One day I caved and bought some Pantene Beautiful Lengths to see if my hair likes cones. My hair had super duper slip, felt like silk, and was manageable to wear down. If you like to wear your hair down a lot, cones give you extra manageability to do so.

Since then, I tried other conditioners, and found Herbal Essences is good for my hair too. But I also discovered it is good to space your cone usage out so you don't have to wash as much. I wash my hair with shampoo and then follow with a cone conditioner twice a week. In between those days, I CO with VO5 conditioners. My hair's texture is optimal when I do this way.

From Personal experience, I also don't recommend COing with a cone conditioner. My scalp did not like this. At all. It turned into a flakey monster. I posted about this in my blog.

Now, this is what worked for me. But my hair is different than yours. I recommend experimenting, clarifying the cones out, trying cone-free, and start with a clarified head, from scratch.

You have to know what your hair does without cones first in order to figure out if your hair likes cones. So good luck and have fun!:cheese:

kdaniels8811
August 22nd, 2009, 03:49 AM
My hair was fine/thin and limp. My ears showed through! The only way I could get any body was to blowfry upside down with gel on the roots. By the next day it was flat again. After joining here, I have given up conventional shampoos entirely. I now use oils on the length, catnip tea for conditioning, and herbs for washing the scalp. I can go 4-5 days between washings and my hair is full and looks thick and is soft and shiny! The cones in my shampoo and conditioner were making my hair look awful and I never knew why until I came to LHC. But it is all dependent upon what works for your hair. Good luck! And asking questions is how all of us learned how to care for our hair better.

GlassEyes
August 22nd, 2009, 05:09 AM
Actually, I think the ingredients that end it 'conol are preservatives. :)
Nope. :) The ones that end in '-none' are preservatives--conol is just another form of silicone, if I'm not mistaken.

marikamt
August 22nd, 2009, 09:02 AM
Thank you all so much! I feel like I have a much better understanding now.... I am going to try to clarify and try cone free next month just as a test.... we will see!

RavennaNight
August 22nd, 2009, 01:37 PM
Nope. :) The ones that end in '-none' are preservatives--conol is just another form of silicone, if I'm not mistaken.

Aaaah yes. Dimethiconol. Some members, myself included, have had less than stellar results with that cone in particular. Regular dimethicone, cyclopentasiloxane, amodimethicone etc; all well and good. That dimethiconol stuff? Weird, waxy hair.

LaurenH
August 22nd, 2009, 01:42 PM
No worries!! I don't find it rude at all- I have the same questions you do-
Ok! Just wanted to make sure!! :flower:

Thank you all so much! I feel like I have a much better understanding now.... I am going to try to clarify and try cone free next month just as a test.... we will see!
Me too! I'm going to clarify today and then go cone free for a month and see if my hair likes it... Thanks so much everyone! This thread has been really helpful!! :D