PDA

View Full Version : Growing out a fringe/bangs

Namarie
August 21st, 2009, 08:44 AM
I've been growing out my fringe/bangs. They've finally reached below eye length but it seems to be the most frustrating length. They are ALMOST long enough to tuck behind my ears.

I'm trying to grow ALL of my hair, but obviously when the bangs/fringe reach a certain length I will have to even it out by cutting the rest of my hair.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any hairstyle tips or styles that I can do while growing these parts out? My hair is currently shoulder length.

krn2891
August 21st, 2009, 08:50 AM
I grew out my bangs in high school and cut my hair back to shoulder length which is where my bangs were before I graduated. Now I was cutting off damage and starting fresh with my hair but I was also figuring my bangs would be the same length and then I could have same length hair. Well apparently my bangs had a different idea because 8 years later my bangs are still at shoulder level while the rest of my hair is down to tail bone. But I don't have a problem blending them in with the rest of my hair. So if you don't mind having a few layers, I woud not worry about cutting your hair back to where you bangs are. As far as getting through the awkward stage the only thing I new how to do was wearing headbands alot to hold them back which had the advantage of training my bangs to go back and not fall forward.

Amraann
August 21st, 2009, 09:00 AM
Much like my on again off again layer obsession, I go back and forth with trimming and then letting my bangs grow too.
So I understand your frustration.

When they are at that annoying length but I am really trying to grow them, I usually use a little hair clip thing and clip them back.
For a dressy occasion I side sweep them. Make a distinct side part side sweep to the one side and then put the rest up.

Like in this picture.... (I am wearing the green)
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b381/amraann/Tifwedding.jpg

Maddy25
August 21st, 2009, 09:16 AM
Hi! My hair is shoulder length too and I am also growing out a fringe that is a bit longer than the tip of my nose. I wear my hair on a side part and take one side of my fringe and either braid it and clip it back or twist it and clip it, I think those styles are really cute.

Monsterkitti
August 21st, 2009, 09:42 AM
When I was growing my fringe out I used wide fabric hairbands a lot just so the short bits werent in my face the whole time. The OP's suggestions of side sweeping and clipping them out of the way for a dressier look is also one I used a lot.

My fringe is now about APL while my hair is a bit lower than BSL so it seems to be catching up as I trim the longest layer gradually :) Im not too fussed about them really, they dont notice half as much now they are longer :)

heatherdazy
August 21st, 2009, 09:44 AM
My hair is also SL and I'm growing out my bangs, too! I occasionally wear them swept to the side, but I usually french braid them back.

spinz2knit
August 21st, 2009, 10:39 AM
I was growing my bangs out until a hairdresser convinced me it wasn't the bangs but the type of bangs I had which weren't right for me. Prior to that, they'd been driving me nuts because they always ended up in my eyes until one day when I braided a very small section on the edge of the larger side of my part, while wet, left the end unsecured, and put it back and to the side. When it dried, it was barely visible as a braid, and somehow seemed to hold the rest of the hair there back to the side. I left it that way for several days (during which nobody else seemed to notice it), and it kept on holding my bangs out of my eyes. When I was starting to feel the need to co-wash again, I undid the braid, and found that my bangs kept getting in my eyes again.

It might be worth a try.

smilinjenn71
August 21st, 2009, 11:05 AM
Whew, I feel your pain!!

For work, I absolutely have to keep my hair out of my face. I use headbands sometimes but they tend to bother me. My 'go to' is a medium claw clip. I pull up my bangs, leaving some of the sides down. Another girl in our office uses bobby pins to pull her bangs up and out of the way.

Sometimes I can use a pretty hair clip or two as well; just in the front to pull it back. When I'm not at work, as long as I blow dry it back, my bangs will stay out of my face. (for the most part)

Hopefully you are a girl....otherwise non of this would be helpful.:p

Heidi_234
August 21st, 2009, 11:15 AM
When I joined I just started growing out my bangs - which were above my eyebrows. Now they are below jaw length and almost enough to go into the ponytail. What a ROYAL pain in the rear!
Anyway, I used alot of bobby pins. They were relevant throughout the entire time, as my hair is curly and they don't stay nicely behind my ears. Be careful with them though, and open them up with a nail before pulling out or they with snag of single hairs and cause damage on the long run. And good with growing it out, in less than a year you'll be there. :)

lonestargal
August 22nd, 2009, 08:48 AM
I feel your pain as I too am growing my bangs out. Right now they are just past the tip of my nose. Just short enough still to not stay behind my ears. I don't really have any other ideas for you just wanted to say I feel your pain!!

Namarie
August 22nd, 2009, 03:40 PM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions and encouragement :)

I think I like the idea of bobby pins, I will need to buy some though as I never really used them before, but I think nows the time.

P.S Someone asked.. yes I am a girl lol :)

Lilli
August 23rd, 2009, 08:20 AM
I do the alterna-girl look - clip just my bangs straight back about 2 inches back from my hairline. You can poof it forward a bit before clipping, too, to give some lift to your face. So sort of a pentecostal poof, really.

Feye
August 23rd, 2009, 08:47 AM
I'm growing my bangs/fringe out right now. I've gradually layered them so that they blend nicely with the rest of my hair so I'm just letting them catch up slowly. I bought some headbands to make things easier.

heidihug
August 23rd, 2009, 10:36 AM
I'm trying to grow ALL of my hair, but obviously when the bangs/fringe reach a certain length I will have to even it out by cutting the rest of my hair.
Why? Just interested, not trying to be argumentative. :)

spidermom
August 23rd, 2009, 10:46 AM
One good thing to do with growing-out bangs is a lace braid from one ear, across the top, down to the other ear; it makes a nice accent braid. You can smooth down any bits that stick out (if they bother you) with a little gel, pomade, or styling wax. A lace braid is pretty easy. It's just like a french braid, except you only add hair from the forehead side, like this:
1) Make 3 strands, front (face side), middle, and back.
2) Cross front side over center strand, cross back side over center strand.
3) Add a little hair to front strand, cross over center strand.
4) Cross back side over center strand.

Repeat 3 and 4 to end. You can use a little clip at the end of the braid, or you can braid all the way to the end and tie it off with a little poly band or something else. I like to wrap a bit of ribbon around the end before I apply the poly-band (or small rubber band) because then you can wrap it tight without damaging the hair.

If you've never done this before, it's going to take some practice, but it really helps and looks good.