PDA

View Full Version : how to remove cement powder

hetschepetsch
August 21st, 2009, 05:15 AM
I am working in the "dust-laboratory" of a cement plant next to the mill. the inviroment is very dusty hot and due to the wheater humid. Especially fine cement is the concerns speicality. The cement dust is litheraly everywhere and sticks to my long hair, it seems as if I cant remove the whole dust. I already tried to cover my hair, but that didnt seem to work, just as clothes over your mouth dont work(the dust is also on my skin under my clothes) further one it seems to damage my hair-surface, at least thats what I saw when I put it under the microskope. Most people here wear really short hair, because they had the same problem :-(

By now my hair is oils and doesnt gow anymore, the ends are dry and all of that happened withhin 4 weeks.

Does anybody have experiences with similar enviroments?
Do you think that clay would be better than shampoos?
Would chemical shampoose be better because they are extra strong?(I usually use eggs and tea)
Is there a methode to cleanse hair with oil only?

Thanks for you help and I read the guidelines about spelling! thats my best :-/
Ana

Chanteuse87
August 21st, 2009, 05:47 AM
Well, if cloth doesn't work to cover your hair, what about something like a shower cap? It might look stupid, but you probably need a waterproof sort of fabric to keep the dust from getting in. Also, after you slather your hair in oil, I would definitely recommend some sort of commercial shampoo or conditioner, unless you have a good homemade recipe. I CO, myself, and never have a problem getting out oils (even when I put a ton in my hair). Other than that, I'm out of ideas, since I've never dealt with an environment like that. Good luck!

hetschepetsch
August 21st, 2009, 09:07 AM
thanks for your kind answer, your idea is good, but since this is the research/developement plant a lot of customers and schools come to see it. I need a tidy-representative solution :-(

Fractalsofhair
August 21st, 2009, 09:13 AM
Wear a shower cap, and a scarf over it. Keep your hair up. (The scarf will look stylish, and likely, no one will ask as at the worst, they'll assume you're very religious or have cancer). Oil your hair heavily. Maybe a hat as well. Cones are going to protect your hair in such a situation, heavy ones.

Petra
August 21st, 2009, 09:54 AM
I worked in many of cement plants and quarries for my master's degree and I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. I kept my hair in a braid or in a bun under my hardhat but it ended up coated in dust anyway. The only thing that really worked for me was shampooing at the end of the day. I used regular shampoo diluted it (since it required shampooing more frequently than I usually do) in a big pitcher and dunked the ends in, swished around and poured the rest over my head and then rinsed, rinsed, rinsed. Finished with a vinegar rinse and a good heavyish conditioner and it seemed to get all that grimy dust out. I didn't notice any major damage from more frequent shampooing (I did notice a little from the hardhat, but there was nothing I could do about that!).

Good luck!

Pierre
August 21st, 2009, 06:40 PM
I've been in a similar situation once. I was in Barbados mixing cement with shovels and got some dust in my hair. I don't remember what I did, but here are some ideas:

Cement sets by a chemical reaction between different minerals that requires water. So to prevent cement from getting stuck to your hair, you can either prevent dust from getting in your hair, or prevent anything aqueous from sticking to your hair. An impermeable cap prevents dust from getting in your hair, but it also prevents sweat from getting out, and in a hot environment you don't want that. Oil prevents wet stuff from getting stuck to your hair.

So what I'd do in that situation would be: oil heavily before going to work, make two Dutch braids to make the layer of hair on the sweaty scalp as thin as possible, and when I get home, undo the braids and comb out the dust in the shower. Or maybe I'd do two half-ups, as braiding every day is time-consuming. (I usually leave a braid for 3-4 days.)

frizzinator
August 22nd, 2009, 05:05 AM
If your hair is long, wear it up to work, which will reduce the surface area of your hair which is exposed. This means the ends of your hair will be protected. After leaving work, I would brush the dust out of my hair. A BBB will probably get a lot of dust out, leaving the least amount of dust possible to be washed out. This is especially helpful if your hair is fine, because fine hair packs together tighter than the finest weave of fabric. Thus, if your hair is fine, and you wear it up, the dust will not be able to penetrate the updo, although you will have to double check any areas where your scalp shows, such as where your hair parts.

I only have experience with the concrete dust getting in my hair during the construction of some small projects, when I forgot to cover-up my updo.

hetschepetsch
August 22nd, 2009, 06:27 AM
Thanks for your answers, you are really kind. Thats what I will do, ill oil my hair before I am going to work, up does for long hair are required anyway- then Ill wear the plastic stuff I use to dye my hair with henna and a scarf over it.

when I talked to the workers one told me that he is using baby-powder for his skin, he thinks that the powderlayer on his face prevents the dust to stick on his skin. if he is right silikons would really be a protecting-layer- Ill just give it a try, cynical enaugh Ill probably remove them with clay after I am done with that job.