PDA

View Full Version : Healing "Barbie Hair"

MBonn
August 20th, 2009, 10:32 PM
I'm looking for some advice ladies. My sister dyed her hair black and purple. She had to strip the purple section before dying it and now she says that section is rough like barbie hair. She says it happens when she bleaches her hair and is thinking about redying it black to fix it. She loves the purple though so I told her I'd ask around here to see if anyone had some other ideas about how to fix it. I figured if anyone would know it would be you ladies! Thank you in advance!

frangipani
August 20th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Stripping colour from hair is basically bleaching it. Dying it again doesn't repair the damage , but black hair seems to reflect light well and will probably make it look shinier
If she kept maintaining the purple colour with a deposit-only dye, it should not cause further damage, and from there, just take extra care babying the purple streak

Renbirde
August 21st, 2009, 03:07 PM
She could try oiling or moisturizing treatments to protect that lock. It won't mend the damage, but it'll help prevent more from occurring.

Depending on the amount of damage, the roughness might lessen over time, I think.

klcqtee
August 21st, 2009, 03:58 PM
Ah, been there! Re-dying doesn't help at all. Coconut oil helps, as well as trimming. I found that after about 4 months of NOT dying, the barbie texture faded to a dry brittle version of my own hair. 2 months after that, I cut off over 1.5 feet, then I was able to redye my hair (brown) and it didn't become doll like again, but continued to be dry.

I've just come to accept my hair cannot handle bleach (they told me it wasn't bleach, and I was only "lightening" my hair). She may have to just cut it off, or accept that this bleaching and purple hair dye can only happen once.