PDA

View Full Version : FINALLY got a nice compliment in person

Shadow Walker
August 20th, 2009, 10:14 PM
:D It's been a very long time since a stranger has commented on my hair in public, the last time I remember someone saying anything nice about it was when I was just past shoulder length, which was like a year and a half ago.

I was in picking up my tux for my sister's wedding this weekend, and while I was waiting there was a woman standing in front that looked like she was about mid 40's, and when I came in and was giving the lady at the counter my information, she asked what I was planning on doing with my hair, if I was going to wear it down. I said no, I'm going to tie it back, and when her husband came out of the changing booth, she went over to him and said with a smile and pointed to me "Honey, check out this guys beautiful long hair!"

Definitely made me smile, and her husband didn't have anything negative to say, he just asked if I was the one getting married, and I said no. I was so happy to finally hear something nice about my hair that it really didn't bother me when the lady at the counter asked if I was going to cut my hair for the wedding, and I said no. She then said "C'mon, I got some scissors right here!", to which I said "not a chance".

I hear stuff like that regularly, so it didn't bother me. I was just so glad that someone finally took notice in a positive way!

Darian Moone
August 20th, 2009, 10:18 PM
How nice to get a hair compliment! :D They are few and far between for me as well, but it sure feels nice when you get them, doesn't it?

Your siggy picture looks fantastic. I can't believe what a perfect and thick hemline you have!

RancheroTheBee
August 20th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Awww! Some people are so sweet. :) How very kind of them.

pradabacon
August 20th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Wha?! http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu287/hootalicious/shocked.gif

I would think you'd get complimented all the time! Your hair is absolutely gorgeous!

Maybe people are just a little intimidated by you. You look tough. http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu287/hootalicious/wink-1.gif They don't know that you're actually a big ol' sweetheart! :eyebrows:

I'm sure you get lots of compliments inside other people's heads.

Shadow Walker
August 20th, 2009, 10:24 PM
It sure does Darian! :D And thank you.

hootietoot, I don't get nice compliments hardly at all. You're right, maybe the whole scary looking metal guy image makes me somewhat unapproachable. I'm just glad that lady wasn't intimidated by me and said something nice.

ericthegreat
August 20th, 2009, 10:27 PM
That's wonderful news man! I'm glad that her compliment made your day.

Nonetheless, I hope you know that even if nobody else in your personal life tells you that you have awesome hair(which clearly isn't true), that everyone here including me definitely enjoys your hair and watching its progress.

irishcurls
August 20th, 2009, 10:29 PM
If I saw you in real life I wouldnt be able to help my self from complimenting. Your hair is beautiful! i admire you for not taking crap from people. Alot of people look down at guys with long hair. I love it!

Elainehali
August 20th, 2009, 10:29 PM
I would give an "in the head" compliment. You're hair is SO cool.

:o I'm a shy one.

Bellona
August 20th, 2009, 10:42 PM
Your hair is amazing. I'm surprised you don't get compliments all the time!

pradabacon
August 20th, 2009, 10:42 PM
hootietoot, I don't get nice compliments hardly at all. You're right, maybe the whole scary looking metal guy image makes me somewhat unapproachable. I'm just glad that lady wasn't intimidated by me and said something nice.

Well, I'm glad too! You deserve compliments on that mane of yours!

The next time I see a guy who looks a little intimidating, I'm going to make it a point to pay him a compliment if it's warranted.

I just won't do it in that dark alley I like to hang out in sometimes. :D

yellowchariot
August 20th, 2009, 11:04 PM
Shadow Walker,

That was a cool story! There's just something about ladies from the 40's+ age range that just "get it" and know how to have a great conversation and add humor in as well. I love talking to people like that!

EdG
August 20th, 2009, 11:06 PM
Congratulations! :cheese:

I think you'll receive even more complements as you grow older. A young man with long hair is perceived as possibly searching for identity, whereas an older long-haired guy is perceived as having found it. :D
Ed

yellowchariot
August 20th, 2009, 11:14 PM

I think you'll receive even more complements as you grow older. A young man with long hair is perceived as possibly searching for identity, whereas an older long-haired guy is perceived as having found it. :D
Ed

^ Great saying EdG,

I've often perceived older people Men and Women, with very long hair, as being experienced, very knowledge and wise about various subjects (like a Sage). The most significant key factor I view IMO, is that they must have lived life to their fullest potential!

ericthegreat
August 20th, 2009, 11:16 PM
This a bit off topic, but how about actually having enough confidence and pride in yourself so that you don't care either way if you get a compliment on your hair or not? I know that when I go outside and I get stared at, most people are thinking I must be some kind of weird person or I must be a stoner or whatever longhaired male stereotype there is out there. Quite frankly at this point I don't even care. I hold my chin up high, smile at everyone I see and walk proudly because I LIKE HOW I wear my hair. I certainly don't choose to wear my hair long because I intend to impress the world out there. I wear it long simply because I LIKE IT, and I couldn't care less what some stranger has to say about my hair or anything else about me for that matter.

adiapalic
August 20th, 2009, 11:17 PM
That is so sweet of her. :) I bet you'll look nice in your tux with your hair tied back!

adiapalic
August 20th, 2009, 11:22 PM
This a bit off topic, but how about actually having enough confidence and pride in yourself so that you don't care either way if you get a compliment on your hair or not? I know that when I go outside and I get stared at, most people are thinking I must be some kind of weird person or I must be a stoner or whatever longhaired male stereotype there is out there. Quite frankly at this point I don't even care. I hold my chin up high, smile at everyone I see and walk proudly because I LIKE HOW I wear my hair. I certainly don't choose to wear my hair long because I intend to impress the world out there. I wear it long simply because I LIKE IT, and I couldn't care less what some stranger has to say about my hair or anything else about me for that matter.

I think suggesting someone be uncaring or apathetic would be asking someone to compromise their overall amiability. Allowing others to have a positive effect on your day doesn't prove you're unconfident or without pride.

ericthegreat
August 20th, 2009, 11:24 PM

Ed

You hit the nail on the head Ed. Its all about perception. And as you know, a perception is simply just that, a perception. It often isn't the truth at all. I've met many young people who have already accomplished 10 times more in their lives than some older people have ever done in their lives. I live my life the way I want to, regardless of what other people think about it. If I based my life on the amount of compliments I received from other people, I wouldn't have the courage to walk outside of my house.

EdG
August 20th, 2009, 11:29 PM
yellowchariot and ericthegreat - it is true that young people are often perceived as experimenting ("Oh, he's just going through a phase")... By mid-life, it's no longer a phase. :D
Ed

ericthegreat
August 20th, 2009, 11:37 PM
yellowchariot and ericthegreat - it is true that young people are often perceived as experimenting ("Oh, he's just going through a phase")... By mid-life, it's no longer a phase. :D
Ed

Honestly Ed, I think its more "That crazy old geezer is set in his ways, no sense in trying to set him straight."

Whereas with a young person its "That poor misguided young man needs my guidance." (LOL, and I respond with "Thank you for your concern but I think I'm good with what I already have right now. I'll be okay with the path that I'm choosing for myself.")

yellowchariot
August 20th, 2009, 11:38 PM
By mid-life, it's no longer a phase. :D
Ed

^ I agree 100% :thumbsup:

EdG
August 20th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Honestly Ed, I think its more "That crazy old geezer is set in his ways, no sense in trying to set him straight."Hee, hee! That could be true. Did I mention I will be a longhair for life? :D
Ed

RavennaNight
August 21st, 2009, 12:00 AM
I simply can't believe you don't get complimented on your hair all the time, Shadow Walker. Compliments are awesome, aren't they? Are you posting pics of you & wedding hair style?

ericthegreat
August 21st, 2009, 12:04 AM
I think suggesting someone be uncaring or apathetic would be asking someone to compromise their overall amiability. Allowing others to have a positive effect on your day doesn't prove you're unconfident or without pride.

You misunderstood my message completely. I didn't say don't let anyone in. What I said is to have enough confidence in yourself so that it doesn't matter to you what other people think about you. Maybe you have lived a more fortunate life, but I personally have encountered many negative and many cruel and clearly unhappy people who didn't hesitate to tell me what they think about my hair or my race. I've learned that in order to prosper in this world, you really can't be naive enough to rely on compliments and praise from other people to make you feel happy. Because what if like me you don't receive many compliments in your life? Would that make my life any less valuable? OF COURSE NOT! I give my own life value, and I do the things that I enjoy doing.

marzipanthecat
August 21st, 2009, 12:09 AM
I think your hair looks lovely - I am surprised people don't say nice things more often, but perhaps people are put off by saying nice things to men in general?

I'm the oddball who goes up and talks to pretty much anyone! (I'm going to make an excellent crazy old lady...)

Aditi
August 21st, 2009, 12:15 AM
That is so sweet of her to notice your lovely hair and compliment you without hesitating, i know that little compliment made you so much happy about yourself and your hair :). I have never got any hair compliment from strangers but i get compliments from my family members and stylist all the time.

Bereft
August 21st, 2009, 12:45 AM
Your hair is beautiful! Its a wonder you dont have lots of people complimenting it! Keep being you and letting your hair grow, and I'm sure you'll get many more! :D

rogue_psyche
August 21st, 2009, 01:07 AM
I think it is even harder to compliment men on their appearance than it is to compliment women. For example, I once told a guy I thought he was cute, and he took it as an insult. I was trying to tell him I thought he was attractive!

While your hair is beautiful, shiny, and (I'm guessing) soft and silky, these are all adjectives to avoid when talking about a man's appearance. That pretty much leaves long, thick, and healthy, which are more statements of fact rather than compliments.

Renbirde
August 21st, 2009, 01:49 AM
YEAH! :D It's quite the turnaround from your job issues, isn't it? Mabye the town is realizing that long hair isn't really scary after all. ;) Didn't one of the guys at your job say something about growing his hair a bit?

willowcandra
August 21st, 2009, 01:53 AM
I'm happy for you. You deserve the compliments.:)

Shadow Walker
August 21st, 2009, 05:24 AM

Um, I do have confidence in myself and how I look, and I don't rely on nice comments in order to feel that way, if I cared about what people thought of my appearance that much then I wouldn't have tattoos, wear black, and have long hair. I just happen to be surrounded by a log of negativity, and for once I have heard something positive so I decided to share it. If you're suggesting that I'm wearing my hair long in order to get some kind of response, then you're incorrect, because I do it for myself. I'm far more confident in myself and my appearance than most, simply due to the fact that I perform in front of crowds of people almost every weekend and have been in magazines from all over the world. I think you might have read a little too deeply into why I posted this thread.

maaria
August 21st, 2009, 05:27 AM
How nice :)It feels good for a long time when somebody says something nice about somthing you care about a lot;)
You have a lovely hair:D

Sammybunny711
August 21st, 2009, 05:44 AM
That's so sweet! I bet it feels really good to get compliments on your long hair!

Addy
August 21st, 2009, 06:14 AM
It's about time! :cool: Your hair is AWESOME!!!

Chrissy
August 21st, 2009, 06:31 AM
I think your hair looks lovely - I am surprised people don't say nice things more often, but perhaps people are put off by saying nice things to men in general?

I'm the oddball who goes up and talks to pretty much anyone! (I'm going to make an excellent crazy old lady...)

LOL!! I'm the same way. Most of the time I get good responses. Sometimes people just ignore me. I don't care. I enjoy giving people genuine complements. I think we all need a positive thing in our day once in a while.

ShadowWalker I'm glad you got that compliment.

ladylibra
August 21st, 2009, 08:23 AM
Congrats on finally getting a compliment! :D I promise you, if I saw you IRL I would compliment your hair... 'tis gorgeous. :love:

NiAosSi
August 21st, 2009, 08:27 AM
That's great. You deserve the compliment, you have beautiful hair! :cheer:

Fractalsofhair
August 21st, 2009, 08:39 AM
Congrats! I'm also surprised you don't get tons of complements, your hair is super thick, shiny and amazing looking! (I wish I had your hair!!!) But it's tricky to figure out how to complement guys, esp on something like hair.

melrose1985
August 21st, 2009, 08:51 AM
WOOT! they feel so great when you get them! you have fastastic hair!

Amraann
August 21st, 2009, 09:16 AM
I would totally compliment your hair if I saw you in RL.
You have an awsome mane of hair!

I have the exact opposite problem... People do compliment my hair and while doing so they feel its OK to touch it an play with it!
Its a little creepy:)

marikamt
August 21st, 2009, 09:55 AM
You have AWESOME hair.... I am pretty new here, but I noticed your hair from the start..... I don't think you look scary or intimidating :D I think people are just less likely to compliment a guy on his hair than a girl (not sure why and not very fair!).

Zombiekins
August 21st, 2009, 10:28 AM
Oh man, if I saw a guy with your hair in public I'd definitely go out of my way to say something. It's gorgeous. At best I see guys with ratty dreds (nothing against nice well taken care of dreds, but the rat's nest ones with stuff stuck in there isn't awesome by a long shot) or stringy damaged hair just past their shoulders. Blech. Your's would make any chick jealous. :D

Whenever I see a chick with nice hair I make sure to say something too. But I bet they hear nice things more often.

Wavelength
August 21st, 2009, 10:44 AM
Congrats Shadow! ...and I feel your pain. I never get hair compliments from random people, like, ever. Mind you, I rarely wear my hair down in public. It's tailbone and I'm just more comfortable having it up and out of the way.

My hubby likes it though, so that's good enough for me. :D

Your hair does look good though, and it suits you.

Shadow Walker
August 21st, 2009, 11:58 AM
Thank you to everyone for saying such nice things about my hair! :)

Great saying EdG, thank you.

Thanks adiapalic, I hope so too. I hate getting dressed up with a passion, I feel so stupid!

RavennaNight, I sure will!

Renbirde, yeah, one of the guys at work is growing his hair from a buzzcut. It's about an inch long right now.

To those who were mentioning how to compliment a guy on his hair, I'd say just come right out and say it. If a guy has taken the time and effort to grow and maintain long hair, chances are he wouldn't take insult to a nice compliment since few guys choose to grow it out, at least I wouldn't (I don't think any of the other guys here would either). Who knows, you might make someone's day like how that lady made mine!

Gumball
August 21st, 2009, 12:57 PM
Excellent! All you need is one nice compliment to boost you for a good while. That's great news, Shadow Walker! It's fortunate someone where you are sees what we all do.

Elphie
August 21st, 2009, 01:08 PM
Please consider adding a photo or two to your album while you're wearing the tux. I'm sure you'll generate even a few more compliments that day as well. :-)

Jason
August 21st, 2009, 01:11 PM
A compliment like that can really make your day especially when previous feedback has been more on the negative side.

Very few of us would ever rely on compliments to gauge one's self-worth.:rolleyes: They're just really nice bonuses that make us feel good.

maria_asa
August 21st, 2009, 01:26 PM
What a nice compliment! And you totally deserve it, your hair is beautiful.

spidermom
August 21st, 2009, 01:29 PM
I know how ya feel; I got a compliment on my hair yesterday as well.

Your hair looks really good; you deserve all compliments all the time.

pradabacon
August 21st, 2009, 01:45 PM
Please consider adding a photo or two to your album while you're wearing the tux. I'm sure you'll generate even a few more compliments that day as well. :-)

Oooh! Seconded! :eyebrows:

Amara
August 21st, 2009, 03:06 PM
Glad to hear you got an in real life compliment! I don't get them often either, it makes them all the special-er :)

yellowchariot
August 21st, 2009, 03:10 PM
Thank you to everyone for saying such nice things about my hair! :)

Great saying EdG, thank you.

Thanks adiapalic, I hope so too. I hate getting dressed up with a passion, I feel so stupid!

RavennaNight, I sure will!

Renbirde, yeah, one of the guys at work is growing his hair from a buzzcut. It's about an inch long right now.

To those who were mentioning how to compliment a guy on his hair, I'd say just come right out and say it. If a guy has taken the time and effort to grow and maintain long hair, chances are he wouldn't take insult to a nice compliment since few guys choose to grow it out, at least I wouldn't (I don't think any of the other guys here would either). Who knows, you might make someone's day like how that lady made mine!

^ Nicely said shadow walker! I agree with that statement 100% I do sometimes find it surprising when a woman say's "I wish my hair was as soft and shiny as yours!"
It makes me think that I'm doing something right for a chance! lol :thumbsup:

JamieLeigh
August 21st, 2009, 03:24 PM
Well, FINALLY. :D Congrats, you deserve it! Your hair is amazing, and it really puzzles me as to why you've always gotten such negative comments on it. If you lived where I live, you would have groupies. :crush:

redwoman
August 21st, 2009, 04:52 PM
Shadow walker, I am a shy person and normally would not say something like this, but, I think your hair is hot. So thick and lusterous, I want to grab handfulls of it and squeeze it tightly.
I am a happily married woman, but if I were ten years younger and single I would make it a point to get to know you...and your hair.

jahof45
August 21st, 2009, 05:55 PM
Shadow walker, I am a shy person and normally would not say something like this, but, I think your hair is hot. So thick and lusterous, I want to grab handfulls of it and squeeze it tightly.
I am a happily married woman, but if I were ten years younger and single I would make it a point to get to know you...and your hair.

I am right there with you redwoman! and it's not just his hair that is HOT!

embee
August 21st, 2009, 06:17 PM
Shadow walker, you'll look *great* in formal wear! Oh my.

I'm glad someone said something nice about your hair, that's such a good feeling. Especially when so many folks ask when we're gonna chop it off! ;) Your hair is excellent, I'd love to have hair like yours.

Elenna
August 21st, 2009, 07:47 PM
Your hair is waist length and gorgeous. The rest of you looks pretty good too. :-D

rexy
August 21st, 2009, 07:51 PM
Your hair is waist length and gorgeous. The rest of you looks pretty good too. :-D

Agreed! The metal look with long hair drives me crazy...

Oberon88
August 21st, 2009, 09:28 PM
Yay! I'm so happy for you, that's awesome. :)

Krystyle
August 21st, 2009, 09:33 PM
It sure does Darian! :D And thank you.

See I'm one of those knuckleheads that would ask you if I could touch your hair. And then I would oh and ahh all over it. I'm surprised you don't get compliments on it more often.

walkinglady
August 21st, 2009, 09:49 PM
Good, good, good! You got a hair compliment and well deserved I might add! I think you probably get a lot more compliments than you'll ever hear. You know, the ones people think but don't verbalize. I can be like that myself. I try to compliment people but sometimes my introvert side keeps me quiet. So I'm stepping out of my shell to say...you have such healthy and striking hair! Oh, and have a blast at your sisters wedding!