PDA

View Full Version : Does this seem like a reasonable routine?

halo_tightens
August 20th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Hey all,

I haven't been around LHC for too long yet, and I've been trying to combine the useful knowledge I've gained here with my knowledge of my own hair likes/dislikes to find the best routine for me. I have a lot of pre-LHC damage from chemical dyes, blowfrying, and ironing, and cones seem to keep everything smooth. On the other hand, I don't want the cones to seal moisture OUT of my already dried-out hair. I've come up with sort of a plan, which I've already been trying out for the last three or four washes, and so far all seems well. I'm just wondering if maybe some of you with far more experience in hair care might have an opinion on my little scheme....?

I wash my hair about twice a week. I shampoo with an SLS shampoo to get out the previous washing's cones (and the normal dirt and grime). Then I do a nice SMT, which I leave in for 1 to 3 hours. Then I rinse out the SMT and finish with a very coney conditioner to seal in the moisture from the SMT.

Does this make good hair sense? I know that everyone will have different results from different routines-- but I want to check in with the experts and see what everyone's thoughts are. What do you think? And does anyone else do anything similar?

Thanks in advance-- I really value your opinions after seeing everyone's gorgeous LHC locks!!! :)

AnimaSola3o4
August 20th, 2009, 07:50 PM
That does seem reasonable to me. I don't do SMT's just because of the inconvenience and the few times I tried it I had negligible effects from it anyway... but I do switch between a cone routine and a non-cone routine regularly (every other month or so), and every time I switch no matter which way I'm going - my hair feels so much better that first wash! So i think my hair likes the difference.

ktani
August 20th, 2009, 09:13 PM
The best way to determine if a routine is reasonable, in my opinion, is to try it and see if it works for you.

If it does, it is reasonable, lol. It is as simple as that. People prefer different routines for a number of reasons but the bottom line is that it has to work.

melikai
August 20th, 2009, 10:58 PM
The only concern I have with your proposed routine is that you may get buildup in your hair very easily, and have to clarify frequently.
SLS doesn't get out all cones, and some buildup from previous cones can take more than one wash to get out.

Carolyn
August 21st, 2009, 06:05 AM
It sounds reasonable but only you will be able to tell if it works or not. What works for one isn't going to work for everyone. If what you are doing stops working for you, start with a clarifying wash. Not an SLS poo. Use a real clarifying shampoo. Then moisture, moisture, moisture! You should be getting that in your SMT. As time goes on you may want to find a less coney conditioner for your last conditioner.

ktani
August 21st, 2009, 07:46 AM
I have found in the past, and I recommeded this to a friend who tried it and it worked for her as well, that a shampoo for "normal" hair without extra conditioning additives, can remove product build-up very well, without the dryness that can occur with clarifying shampoos. I no longer get any build-up, so it is not an issue for me, since I started to use catnip.

However, my friend was using moisturizing shampoos and conditioners that all contained cones. Her hair had gotten very dry. I just suggested switching to a shampoo for normal hair for a while. It worked for her.

I first read about this idea in Paula Begouns's books. It made sense to me although I do not agree with a lot of her reviews on products, lol.

halo_tightens
August 21st, 2009, 09:27 AM
Thanks for your feedback!

For my shampoo, I switch as the mood strikes me between a moisturizing one for dry hair and Suave Daily Clarifying. I'm hoping that using the clarifying 'poo now and then is enough to keep any buildup to a minimum.

I did my routine yesterday, let it air-dry almost completely, and slept with it inside a soft slumber cap last night. I have my hair down today (bad girl!) and I must say that its texture seems quite nice, considering how I tortured it before deciding to grow and finding LHC. I think even my poor mistreated ends are gradually becoming softer and less crunchy!:)

Hooray for LHC!!! :cheese:

JamieLeigh
August 21st, 2009, 03:48 PM
That does sound like a good routine. The only part I couldn't do would be the cones, but that's just the way my hair is. I do better without, but not everyone's hair can stand coneless care. :o

The major point is to try not to overdo it right away. The bad thing about being a newbie is that there is so much to read and to try, and it gets overwhelming. And sometimes we make mistakes, and try too much stuff at once. I did, lol, but luckily I managed to settle into a "benign neglect" routine within six months of joining up here. Your routine sounds nice. Good luck! :flower:

halo_tightens
August 21st, 2009, 04:19 PM
The bad thing about being a newbie is that there is so much to read and to try, and it gets overwhelming. And sometimes we make mistakes, and try too much stuff at once.

I know, believe me-- the temptation is there! That's a big reason why I'm trying to settle on a routine that is fairly simple and keeps my hair happy so I won't be so tempted to play around with all kinds of new ideas at once.

So far, so good! Thanks again.