PDA

View Full Version : Hair growth on different scalp types

prittykitty
August 20th, 2009, 05:15 PM
I was browsing the internet and came across a very interesting article. It was talking about scalp types. Some people have thick skin on their scalp that moves easily with fingers while some have thin skin on their scalps that is tighter and when moved with fingers does not move as easily. I read that the ones who have the loose, thicker skin have much nicer and healthier hair growth than those with thinner scalp skin that is tighter. I had to check and see if this was true. My daughter has very long nice hair that grows fast. Her scalp skin is thicker and moves easily. I on the other hand have the thinner skin that is tighter and my hair shows it. My hair does not seem to grow as fast and as nice as I would like it to. Does anybody else notice this?

spidermom
August 20th, 2009, 05:19 PM
My hair grows a little bit faster than average, and I have a tight scalp. Sometimes I massage it, when I remember - not very often.

ladylibra
August 20th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Hmmm... interesting and slightly confusing. I would never describe my skin as "thick" but it does move easily on my scalp. Maybe it is thicker than I think?

I'd have to find someone with thinner scalp skin that doesn't move as well. My SO's scalp, our son's scalp and my scalp are all thick with easily-moved skin...

Roseate
August 20th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Sounds interesting, do you have a link to the article?

My scalp is pretty tight, but my hair growth rate is very average.

Flynn
August 20th, 2009, 10:29 PM
My growth rate is faster than average, and I have quite fine hair that is also fairly thick, so that means a lot of hair. I have tight, sensitive, temperamental scalp skin.

Bellona
August 20th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Hm. That's interesting. I have fast growing hair ( about an inch to an inch and a half) a month, and my scalp seems to move easily. My hair's also really thick. Post a link to the article if you can find it!

Igor
August 21st, 2009, 12:45 AM
Interesting idea. I would never have thought of linking skin thickness to hair growth. I would like to see the article if you can provide the link?
It goes a bit against the anatomy I know, somehow I don’t think the thickness of the skin should have any effect on the follicles and blood supply to the growing hair? Follicles and blood supply shouldn’t get proportionally smaller with the thinner skin or change the hair growth

Heidi_234
August 21st, 2009, 12:54 AM
I thought the skin of everybody's scalp does that! I guess you do learn something (useless) everyday :lol:
Mine moves easily and yet I have 0.4" to 0.5" of growth a month. :no:

prittykitty
August 21st, 2009, 03:07 AM
Yes, here is the link:

http://www.segalshairlosstreatment.com/scalp-stimulation.aspx

Igor
August 21st, 2009, 05:31 AM
Yes, here is the link:

http://www.segalshairlosstreatment.com/scalp-stimulation.aspx

Thanks! That was interesting!

maaria
August 21st, 2009, 05:33 AM
This was very interesting, I have never hears about this!:)

Marika
August 21st, 2009, 08:51 AM
Interesting, but I don't know if this is true... I was told by a hairdresser that I have a loose scalp. Still my hair growth is very average if not slow (well, at least it feels like that :D). She also said that people who have a easily moving scalp, have less headaches than others. In my case that could be true because I rarely have headaches, who knows...:hmm:

Fractalsofhair
August 21st, 2009, 08:58 AM
I have a very tight scalp that cracks! XD My hair grows a good inch or so per month, but it is easily damaged.

I think the sci basis for the idea a loose scalp has less problems with hair is that it's likelier to have a loose feeling scalp if you have oil on your scalp(naturally oilier hair), thus protecting it.

Vermelha
August 21st, 2009, 08:58 PM
IDK...I have a thick scalp that moves easily...I have thick skin too and am quite hairy, I'd say...even my arms are pretty hairy...I think it may have something to do with blood flow to the scalp though...But it's a mixed bag.

going gray
August 22nd, 2009, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the post, interesting article.

ladylibra
August 22nd, 2009, 02:17 PM
Interesting, but I don't know if this is true... I was told by a hairdresser that I have a loose scalp. Still my hair growth is very average if not slow (well, at least it feels like that :D). She also said that people who have a easily moving scalp, have less headaches than others. In my case that could be true because I rarely have headaches, who knows...:hmm:

Oh, total old wives' tale then. I have frequent sinus headaches, and am prone to migranes. :(

mira-chan
August 22nd, 2009, 03:02 PM
Thin skin, sensitive to chemical scalp here. I have average growth and on the thicker side coarse hair.

sunnydayalways
August 22nd, 2009, 05:57 PM
I never thought of that either. My fingers runs smooth accross my scalp. My hair grows slow, but I have curly fine hair.

ilovelonghair
August 22nd, 2009, 06:26 PM
I don't even know if my scalp is thick or thin, but it moves easily. My hair grows pretty fast at the moment, but it doesn't always do that.

Elphie
August 22nd, 2009, 06:27 PM
Interesting article, thanks for sharing it. I can manipulate the skin on my scalp easily so it's not tight. I have average growth (half inch per month) and fairly thick hair.

rhubarbarin
August 23rd, 2009, 03:20 PM
My scalp is very tight, and I have thinner hair (2.5" circ) and a high shed rate. It grows about average or maybe a bit more, 6-8" per year.

My scalp tightness is related to my neck/shoulder tension which is related to anxiety. After a massage is the loosest my scalp will get, and if my scalp (and neck) are very tight I get pain and sometimes migraines.

I know this because I am always massaging my own neck and scalp to try to relax them, LOL.