PDA

View Full Version : VERY sturdy hairstyle? Anyone?

CaityBear
August 20th, 2009, 04:58 PM
So I have a MAJOR problem finding a very stable hairstyle. I play volleyball so I do LOTS of moving and jumping and running. Last year my hair was a good at least 6 inches shorter. I would put it in a braided bun and even then sometimes it would fall out.

I can't put it in just a ponytail or braid because then it comes around and slaps my face. I may try the braided bun again, but buns NEVER stay in my hair.

My hair doesn't hold pins very well so I can't use pins to help keep it.

Does anybody have any miracle hairstyles? I need ones that is tight against my head (I can't stand having something bouncing and hitting the back of my head0 and one that will STAY tight against my head. I really think it'd be a miracle. If anybody has any ideas, please, let me know.

I have hip length, straight hair, not very thick.

Edit: I guess I should add that I can't use any hair sticks or anything like that. If I use something like that it would have to be close to my head and barely visible.

spidermom
August 20th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Try the bun that stays (there's an article with how-to). This has been my most reliable, comfortable bun. I've never tried to play volleyball in it, but I have worked out on the elliptical and takes lots of walks with it.

Longlocks3
August 20th, 2009, 05:15 PM
What kind of pins are you using? I hate most pins. I love my Amish pins. There is even a thread about them. It's the only way I can make a rope braid bun.

CaityBear
August 20th, 2009, 05:22 PM
I only have bobby pins and small hair pins. I don't have the greatest access to good hair toys. I've never seen any other pins before.

Edit: I checked out the bun that stays. Only problem is I don't have any small hair forks or anything to use and I can't wear a hairstick. I would need something that doesn't stick out of my hair any more than an inch or so. But that is something I can try otherwise when I need my hair up. :)

apynip
August 20th, 2009, 05:58 PM
if you have a dance supply shop around in your area try there they have HUGE hair pins and they are normally very good. just tuck the hair under and maybe use a hair net? it might help.
We had a girl in our class who had that problem and thats how she solved it.

Bunnyhare
August 20th, 2009, 05:59 PM
There is a bun that cinnamoncurls did when she was a professional ballet dancer, the vortex bun, it is tight against your head and firm but requires lots of little pins..i will go look up the thread...
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=27288&highlight=vortex
here is the link to that tutorial

BitterRose
August 20th, 2009, 06:05 PM
The no-budge bun that I have found is the braided chinese bun - even holds while swimming if I do it up when my hair is wet (I can get a tighter braid with it wet than dry due to my hair texture).

I only use one 4" hairstick to anchor the style and use pins for the wrap. It holds snug without pulling through everything I've put it through so far.

My hair is classic length, thick, curly and "slippy" (most barrettes slide right out unless snarled by curls). This is the only bun I've found that my hair doesn't eventually slide out of.

teela1978
August 20th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Can you do heidi braids? That used to be my usual hairdo for dancing back in the day.

plainjanegirl
August 20th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Have you ever heard of the ezbun?

https://www.ezbun.com/index.html
I have a couple of these that do not work for me cause my hair is too thick. I'd sell them cheap.

Also what about that new way they are doing the sock bun (it doesn't work for me either).

GlassEyes
August 20th, 2009, 06:45 PM
How about a sock bun? Those usually hold well for me if they're placed right, and on dry hair (they look better in damp on me, but they pull). If you can manage the new variation, it doesn't require pins.

The other really solid bun for me is the Chinese Bun. It stays in longer than an unwanted family member visiting for a week, and is really comfortable. Not sure if you can do that one for volleyball though.

Themyst
August 20th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Have you ever thought about wearing a scarf? Many ways to do it:

http://www.tznius.com/cgi-bin/tying.pl

And you can tie it on as tight as you like.

Bunnyhare
August 20th, 2009, 07:00 PM
The other really solid bun for me is the Chinese Bun. It stays in longer than an unwanted family member visiting for a week, and is really comfortable. Not sure if you can do that one for volleyball though.

I know this has nothing to do with it but This made me LOL! Thank you for the smile endorphins ! :D

Kat
August 20th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Oh wow, the vortex bun. Looks similar to what I do for dance, only flatter...and more strands.

AnneAdeline
August 20th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Do you know how to French or Dutch braid? I do two Dutch/french braids and then curl them into a bun that lays against my head. It holds pretty well.

Have you ever tried these hair pins (http://www.sallybeauty.com/Magic-Grip-Hairpins/GOODHR1,default,pd.html)? You can find them at the grocery store usually. They work miracles with my hair. I could never get bobby pins to hold, but these work.

tangocurl
August 20th, 2009, 08:02 PM
This is a really great thread. I'm saving it so I can go back and look at the tutorials, etc.

A visor I got for less than $2 keeps the sun off my face and can be adjusted to help secure a bun against my head with the back of the visor. It helps hold up the weight of it.

plainjanegirl
August 20th, 2009, 08:45 PM
I came back with another idea.
What about short bent knitting needles, the double pointed kind.

pradabacon
August 20th, 2009, 10:29 PM
How about hair taping (more like hair sewing), as demonstrated by LHC's own TorrinPaige? It looks like it would hold like a rock and all you end up having in your hair is an elastic and ribbon.

http://www.youtube.com/user/torrinpaige#play/uploads/32/KqbAdvL8kME

freznow
August 20th, 2009, 10:48 PM
I do a quadruple-looped braided pony tail for soccer. No pointy objects, the braid keeps it from tangling, and the many loops make it small and bun like but it doesn't fall out if you have the right size of elastic.

adiapalic
August 20th, 2009, 11:27 PM
There is a bun that cinnamoncurls did when she was a professional ballet dancer, the vortex bun, it is tight against your head and firm but requires lots of little pins..i will go look up the thread...
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=27288&highlight=vortex
here is the link to that tutorial

Wow, it really does look like a vortex--one that's about to swallow up a person's head! :bluebiggr I'll definitely be trying this one out.

teela1978
August 20th, 2009, 11:31 PM
The 'amish braids' in this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=30688&highlight=amish) hold pretty well too, and only take one hair elastic.

OhioLisa
August 20th, 2009, 11:32 PM
If you're skilled at braiding, a crown braid seems a good way to go.

Flynn
August 21st, 2009, 12:08 AM
Ballet bun. It's a cinnabun that is high up and very flat against your head, held with hair pins (http://www.cachebeauty.com/images/morris/hair_pins_crimp_bwn_3302.jpg). Plenty of them. (NOT bobby pins; they're useless for this.)

CinnamonCurls has a multi-strand variation (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=27288&highlight=cinnamon+swirl) that should work particularly well for longer of thicker hair. She also gives a good description of placement. Her placement in the pics is, as she herself says, rather low. Placing it higher makes it even more stable.

I know you said no pins or anything, but do either the single or multi-strand variation tight and with the right length and strength of pins, and it should hold like a rock. I have yet to meet someone on whom a properly-done ballet bun did not.

ETA: Sorry, just missed that BunnyHare had mentioned CinnamonCurl's vortex bun... on the first page. Whoops.

But, yeah. Add my vote to it, then.

TheStorm
August 21st, 2009, 12:32 AM
it's just an idea but have you ever looked at hair taping?
using ribbon you literally sew braids to the rest of your hair. I'm sure you could sew a bun in place so that it wouldn't fall out.
Have a look at the link,
http://www.heatherspages.net/Nuremberg%20dress/hair%20and%20head/hair%20taping/hair_taping.htm

Feye
August 21st, 2009, 01:36 AM
A sock bun is incredibly secure. I tried it on myself and I think that I could have jumped around like a crazy person for hours if I'd wanted to.

Otherwise Ficcare do a pretty firm hold too, but suck bun wins the prize :)

willowcandra
August 21st, 2009, 01:59 AM
I definately agree with the cinnabun held with a ton of waved/dance pins. Mine will last untill I remove it. I can sleep in it too. I put the pins in as I wrap. So wrap a lil way and put a pin in then keep going about every inch around on every layer of twist. (you can bun a twisted rope braid for an even tighter bun.)

I also got a custom pin made by vk desigs, its a 4 1/2 inch pin with a glass ball each end. I use it for chines knots-it is long enough to hold the knot but doesn't stick out past my hair and it won't fall out. When making a chines knot I use a band to put the ends together then tuck in and use a couple of pins to anchor it. This bun doesn't move then.

Other great styles for sports are things like french braid with the tail tucked up underneath and a clip barrette to hold it.

Newniepg
August 21st, 2009, 03:44 AM
My most secure style is a french braid with the end doubled and tucked back under in towards the nape. It takes 2 pins to hold the tail in place and 3 to make it rock solid all day. I find it very comfortable and it stays out of my face.

That said, I have less hair than you so you might struggle to tuck away your tail.

Periwinkle
August 21st, 2009, 03:47 AM
Try proper hairpins rather than bobby pins. Believe me, it makes a world of difference.

Irishred
August 21st, 2009, 06:05 AM
Can you use small-med jaw clips (http://www.goody.com/Products/Accessories/Claws_and_Clips/Classic/Classic.aspx)? Using several (like 4-8 ) of these can hold buns great.

My first thought was a french/dutch braid even without a bun for the tail if you can keep the braid close to the nap as you com off the scalp area, it should help keep the braid behind you. Doubling it up with a good tie could help.

CaityBear
August 21st, 2009, 11:07 PM
There's lots of ideas here for me to look into. Thanks. I'm hoping that one will work. :)

The hair taping would be a great, great idea, but I don't have enough time to do it. I would have to do it in the morning and have it in for all of school. Though I could do that for tournaments...hmm.

pradabacon
August 21st, 2009, 11:43 PM
^^^If you wore it for all of school, you'd probably start a new fashion craze. ;) Get yourself some funky ribbon to do it with. :p Oh! Or do it with a couple of ribbons in your school colors!

It's a really nice looking style...I can't wait to try it myself. I got the supplies the other day.

I hope you find something that works for you. Let us know if you do. This thread has given me lots of new stuff to try, too. I tried the Vortex bun this afternoon. :thumbsup:

Renbirde
August 22nd, 2009, 01:23 AM
If you have a chance, have a ballerina show you how she does her bun. The ones I know not only use wavy/bun pins, but also these invisible net things and tons of gel and hairspray-- not the most hair friendly, but their buns stay through 4+ hour dance classes.

Flynn
August 22nd, 2009, 01:26 AM
If you have a chance, have a ballerina show you how she does her bun. The ones I know not only use wavy/bun pins, but also these invisible net things and tons of gel and hairspray-- not the most hair friendly, but their buns stay through 4+ hour dance classes.

I didn't use any product or a net for classes, and it stays just as well. The gel, hairspray, and net are mostly for tidiness. (ETA: Particularly on longer hair. If it's shorter or seriously layered, you probably do actually need them to get it to stay.)