PDA

View Full Version : Hairystyles for Motorcycles

BitterRose
August 20th, 2009, 04:04 PM
I skimmed through the forums looking for a thread .. but have failed in noticing one.

I have classic length, combination curly/wavy hair (spirals around the edges, wavy along the crown). Usually I pull it back in a low pony or low English braid and tuck it into my jacket when I ride - however, I still spend about 30 minutes to an hour untangling it after a ride.

Does anyone have any tips for securing their long hair, or a product that is easy to use for wrapping a pony or braid to keep the tangles to a minimum? Or do I have to accept that my hair will growl at me every time I pull my bike out of the garage?

Kimberly
August 20th, 2009, 04:13 PM
I used to braid it, wrap a scarf around my neck and the braid, put on my jacket over that, and then put on my helmet. None of my hair was exposed.

embee
August 20th, 2009, 04:34 PM
There's some sort of braid-sock one can get, or you could make such a thing with a scarf.

For sure do *not* tuck your hair up into the helmet, it messes with the safety aspect and puts a lump that could cause real trouble in event of an accident.

Sunshine69
August 20th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Someone posted a link sometime ago for something called a "Hair Glove". It was basically a leather sheath that wraps around your hair and then snaps in place. They came in different lengths (from a couple of inches up to maybe 10 inches or longer). Some had floral designs or laces on them. I tried a quick search, but their website seems to be down at the moment.

adiapalic
August 20th, 2009, 04:49 PM
French braid, put on your helmet, and a braid wrap/sheath/scarf tucked into your jacket would keep all hair nice and tangle-free.

kdaniels8811
August 20th, 2009, 04:59 PM
I will have to look, I found a scarf/doo rag that had something like a long sock attached to it that you tucked you hair into so it still hung down your back but was inside cloth protection. Let me look for it...

BTW, what kind of bike to you have? I ride a Triumph America.

kdaniels8811
August 20th, 2009, 05:01 PM
I found it! Here is the link - http://mragz.com/. This is a tubular headwrap for waist length hair and longer.

InTheCity
August 20th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Yay for the motorcyclin' chicks on the forum.
I don't have the length yet to notice a problem with a regular low pony tail under my helmet, but I'd imagine the jacket rubs against your hair, causing tangles. In addition, wind also gets up the back sometimes too, which may blow it around.
I'd definitely try a sock type of thing. I saw a thread about horse riding and someone here designed her own sock that connected to the helmet. Looked very effective.

Good Luck.
(Yamaha Virago here, though I'm still a novice.)

marikamt
August 20th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Someone posted a link sometime ago for something called a "Hair Glove". It was basically a leather sheath that wraps around your hair and then snaps in place. They came in different lengths (from a couple of inches up to maybe 10 inches or longer). Some had floral designs or laces on them. I tried a quick search, but their website seems to be down at the moment.

I think J&P Cycles has these....... they are in Iowa and have a website

BitterRose
August 20th, 2009, 05:29 PM
I will have to look, I found a scarf/doo rag that had something like a long sock attached to it that you tucked you hair into so it still hung down your back but was inside cloth protection. Let me look for it...

BTW, what kind of bike to you have? I ride a Triumph America.

I have a 2006 Honda Shadow Aero.

GettingThere
August 20th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Ooooh, I am so glad someone posted this! I have a Suzuki Intruder and haven't been riding very long. But I have noticed the horrid tangling I get if I just put my hair in a ponytail. Thanks to everyone who posted suggestions...I'm going to try them!

This is the bike...
http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL275/12098631/22431155/372370996.jpg

And this is a length pic I had hubby take for fun...
http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL275/12098631/22431155/372371000.jpg

podo
August 20th, 2009, 07:22 PM
My DH has a Ducati Dark Monster, but I don't ride it because it's horribly uncomfortable.

My parents have a Motoguzzi which is MUCH better!

I haven't been riding enough since I started caring about my hair to really test different things. I've just done an English braid a time or two and it worked ok, though there were a lot of tangles. I also have some hair wraps (leather strips with beads on them...whatever they're called) that I've used but they're the same as a braid IMHO. I left my hair outside the jacket since I have better luck removing/repairing wind damage than coat damage.

I think I prefer the idea of a hair sock that you can put the whole braid into. It would protect the braid AND keep the wind/coat off of it.

Shiva
August 20th, 2009, 07:49 PM
I always used a leather hairglove when I go riding. It works pretty good, but the ends of my hair still stick out. I have made the horrible error of going without a helmet or ponytail and my hair hated me for it (I shan't do that again).

I want to get my MC permit and take the safety course and get my own bike.

Nice to know there are other riders here (ladies!).

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l226/NorthernXposure/l_c37cf475118cc88f36624e6a8460f5-1.jpg

BitterRose
August 21st, 2009, 06:35 PM
Yea .. I made the mistake of not putting my hair in some kind of restraint ... once .... it took me almost 4 hours to gently tease out all the knots. Many of them had to be cut out. It was a lesson I will *never* forget.

I also haven't had much luck with the "hair gloves" - the leather bands that either tie or snap over a pony tail. Every time I've worn one I've gotten a lot of breakage around the nape where it rubs when it's hooked to the hair band.

Thanks for the post about the hair sock. I will be ordering one of those, as it looks to be exactly what I've been looking for to protect my hair when I ride.

And bonus shot of my Epic Mount.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v413/gypsy_kitty/DSCN05292.jpg