View Full Version : Who has long hair with layers?

Amraann
August 20th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Who has waist length or beyond with long layers?

I recently had about 4 inches cut off and long layers put in because it seriously needed some style.
Its about hip length now.
But the layers make it have more curl and body... rather than just being weighed down by the weight of length.

Does anyone else have long hair that has layers in it?

kirky
August 20th, 2009, 02:32 PM
What made you decide that you wanted layers? Did you have layers before? I am considering getting them, but I'm not sure...I do like my blunt hemline and the ability to braid easier with it all one length.

Cherry_Sprinkle
August 20th, 2009, 02:36 PM
I am just about waist length (I'm there wet/straight but curly I am about 1" or so away..) so I don't know if I am long enough to really give you my opinion about them? You don't have any hair stats so I don't know how thick your hair is.. but layers make the ends of my hair super thin and it makes it take on a V-shape when its not cut that way at all. It takes on that shape because the curls/waves lump together and because its much thinner there (because of layers) they take on a V shape. If you have thick hair and/or don't mind your ends looking thin and bare.. then go for it .. other wise, I'd skip it and go for more of a U shape cut.

Overall layers on WL:
http://www.septemberpixie.com/lj/hair/IMG_4811.jpg

Example of the V-shape it takes on:
http://www.septemberpixie.com/lj/hair/IMG_4631.jpg

squiggyflop
August 20th, 2009, 03:17 PM
my hair naturally grows in layers so in a few months if i dont trim ill have long layers.. i dont know why my underside grows twice as fast as the canopy.. but it does

Amraann
August 20th, 2009, 03:17 PM
What made you decide that you wanted layers? Did you have layers before? I am considering getting them, but I'm not sure...I do like my blunt hemline and the ability to braid easier with it all one length.

I go back and forth. Basically I cut it to my hips all one length and then as it grows it starts looking limp and unhealthy. So then I cut some layers into it to give it some body, style and enhance my waves which disappear due to the weight. Of course when it starts growing out it becomes really sparce so then I cut it all one length back to my hips.

Ultimately I wind up not growing it past my tail bone which I would like to do but I just start getting irritated with it at that point I think.

Amraann
August 20th, 2009, 03:19 PM
my hair naturally grows in layers so in a few months if i dont trim ill have long layers.. i dont know why my underside grows twice as fast as the canopy.. but it does

LOL I know! I saw your thread! But yours looks great like that!

Cherry Sprinkle, I love the picture of your hair in a bun.. That just looks fabulous!

marikamt
August 20th, 2009, 05:04 PM
I am trying to decide if I want to re-cut my layers...... thought I had passed all teh "awkward stages" since I am just at BSL but all of a sudden today I hate my hair. Feels yucky and sloppy and no style..... I think it is because my layers are growing out and in the front (face framing) they are too short to pull back but too long to just hang there (which they are doing)...... aarrgggghhhh! :disgust:

I am really tempted to re-cut my layers....

inertia
August 20th, 2009, 10:42 PM
My hair is heavily layered. The longest parts are hip-length and the shortest is SL.

I got the layering done a year and a half ago when my hair was around WL. The last time I had long hair, it got to TB with fairytale ends but no layering, and eventually I got tired of it and cut it to SL. And when I reached WL again, I thought I wanted to try something different with it this time. Heavily layered hair is fashionable in Japan now and there were a lot of styles I wanted to try which would have been difficult/impossible with unlayered hair. I never wear braids so that wasn't a factor at all.

Also, I'm growing out bleach damage (nearly black to blonde) and wanted to reduce the amount of damaged hair without sacrificing the length. At the time I did the layers, 98% of my hair was bleach-damaged. It was hard to comb, hard to wash, and just generally a PITA. Of course the layering didn't get rid of all that damage but it made it significantly easier to care for; the short layers don't get tangled, and it's much easier to work conditioner/oils into the longer parts so they behave better.

pradabacon
August 20th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Yep, I have layers. I haven't decided whether I want to grow them out or not. They definitely give my hair more body throughout and more volume up top. I also like that it is all even when I put it in a high ponytail, instead of tapering. I prefer that look when I put it up that way. My only beef with the layers is that they can poke out of braids after a while...but that really isn't a big deal to me.

My shortest layers are about waist length (I'm very high waisted), and the longest at hip.

Snowflakey
August 21st, 2009, 12:10 AM
I have long layers in my hair. My hair would look flat and horrible without them, so I love my layers. The only problem is that the layered hair sticks out of my bun a lot...

systemaurora
August 21st, 2009, 12:49 AM
I have layers in my hair! The bottom layer is about midback, and there's another set of layers (I guess the next big amount of hair) about 1-2" shorter, then a couple of short pieces of hair around my face. *shrugs* It's a pain because I want to braid my hair more often but having pieces poke out halfway up it really discourages me from that. :P

Renbirde
August 21st, 2009, 01:57 AM
ETA: I'm feeling silly. Just ignore me-- I misinterpreted the point of this thread. :rolleyes: *Backs off into an unobtrusive corner*

I got layers when I was around BSL. I didn't have a very good time of it, so I haven't gotten any layers in since.

The girl didn't leave them long enough, so I had hair in my face all the time. And it was only part of the very top layer, so my hair looked pretty normal-- except for these flippy mini sheep-horn things poking out around my ears. (I should find a picture. XD ) It was horrid. And it took forever for them to grow long enough to stay back in a ponytail.

Wicked Princess
August 21st, 2009, 03:08 AM
I have layers cut into my hair, and it's around...er...well mid-butt at the longest, at the shortest is around the very bottom of my waist/top of the hips.

My layers do start to make a v-shaped hemline, but it's not a dramatic one. It looks a little bit like this: \__/ Except a bit less blunt.

My hair is also fairly thick, so mine doesn't have the same kind "thin" look. I really like these layers! I feel they give me a bit more style than a plain, U-shaped or straight blunt cut would give me. I also like the feel of it on the rare occasion I wear it down - the breeze will pick up the lighter layers, and it feels nice. It also feels more bouncy in general. :)

prittykitty
August 21st, 2009, 03:17 AM
I just recently started growing my hair and it is at shoulder length and yes, in layers. Since I have naturally curly hair, IF my hair gets to a very long length, depending on how it looks, I may or may not keep the layers. It will all depend on how big it will look if I have layers. I am hoping that the longer my hair gets, the heavier it will get and the curls may relax more. Right now I keep the layers just to have some kind of style so that my hair doesn't go through an "ugly stage" as it is said when hair gets to where you can't do anything with it while it is growing out.

Hilargi
August 21st, 2009, 06:56 AM
I'm barely reaching waist (the longest layers), and the shortest are at my shoulders (more or less). I also have a bunch of shorter hair around my face, like outgrown bangs.
Since I started growing my hair I've had layers, without them I get triangle head (even tough my hair is straigth!), and I get more volume on top with them.

I like better the look of layered hair, and I don't mind the bits spoking out my braids or updos, they are rather cute. I'm not into polished looks anyway!
And I cut them myself because I don't feel confortable in the hairdressing salon.

Hope that helps!

Lilli
August 21st, 2009, 07:01 AM
It depends on how thick your hair is and whether you want to do updos and braids or wear it down more. You can see my hair type in my profile, and when I had long hair, I had it blunt cut because it showed off the straight shininess of it better. If you have very thick or heavy hair, layers look better because it breaks up the monolithic block of hair and gives it more movement. Also the color matters - light hair looks better blunt because it can become transparent in the bottom layers.

hairbrain
August 21st, 2009, 07:32 AM
I just had layers put in my hair about 6 mos or so ago-
actually I had a small trim with layers and then I really went for it because I
needed something different.
My siggy pic is the before and my profile has more updated pics
of what it looked like a few months ago when I did it.
Its waist-length now, with the shortest pieces coming just under my chin.

Im growing back out long(er) again; I really want my overall "length" back,
regardless of the layers. The shortest layer ended up being just too short for
me. I really ached for my long hair back!

I do like the layers, being able to accomplish more styles that I used to love such
as the peacock looking 'poof' thingy that comes out of my twists and styles.
It gives me more style options and I've been wearing it down and enjoying
it more than when it was all one length and in updos constanly.

However, I miss not having a nice braid where the ends arent poking out
everywhere, also.
If I could go back, I would get longer layers, and just cut angles around
my face instead so when it was down it wasnt so long in the front.

Medievalmaniac
August 21st, 2009, 08:15 AM
My hair is BSL, growing from a "Meredith Grey" cut, with the shortest layer currently a little below shoulder length. I HATE the layers, and am anxiously waiting for them to get longer. they don't really blend in with my hair the way they did when it was cut, but I'm not trimming them back any more than I have to. I long desperately for a blunt hemmie with some thickness to it...my longest layer is approaching waist now, but it's thin and looks sparse because of the layering, which is oh! so depressing. But I live in hope of a nice thicker hemmie one day! So, I'm not a dues paying member of the layers club.

Amraann
August 21st, 2009, 08:20 AM
Thanks everyone for replying:)

I mostly like the layers and since I never braid my hair the wisps sticking out is a mute point.
I like the way it cascades and curls with layers. With a blunt cut it just lays straight.

To those of you who have shorter layers .... How did you talk someone into cutting those?
I actually asked for more layering but I cannot find a hairdresser who seems to know how/or willing to do it.
I know how to do it but my hair is to long for me to cut layers into it myself.

hairbrain
August 21st, 2009, 08:37 AM
To those of you who have shorter layers .... How did you talk someone into cutting those?
I actually asked for more layering but I cannot find a hairdresser who seems to know how/or willing to do it.
my hair was soooo long when I went in, of course everyone around
automatically says {all together now} "wow are you donating it to Locks of Love?"

I had my (new) hairdresser start slow so as not to cut too much more than what
I wanted.
The first cut she was hesitant and I said, can you please just cut off about
two inches more all around? She really worked with me on that visit.
I think she was afraid of me attacking her with the scissors if she messed
it up!
I tipped her good that day because she spent a lot of time working with me,
cutting it longer than i wanted and then going around again cutting a bit more
for me. She did exactly what I wanted. (that was a day I wanted layers and
then when I was in the chair I had a panic attack so I ended up with longer
layers than I had in mind)

The second visit she 'knew' me and wasnt so hesitant. THAT day I ended up
with layers SHORTER than what i wanted. I wasnt as vocal so talking a LOT
actually helped originally.
She asked where I want the shortest piece to fall. For me it was under my chin
(although I was thinking at my neck and she went a bit shorter). Then they use that as a guide and have at it. :scissors:

Next time, when I go for a 'trim' (no more layers) I will talk and talk
and make sure shes more hesitant. lol

I just remember my first visit really having no regret at all and my
second I was like, uhhh what did you dooooo? yes I like it but ....gotta get
used to this...

Amraann
August 21st, 2009, 08:51 AM
Laughing at the locks of love comment!!!
(been there!!)
I almost gag when I know people with long hair who cut it and brag that they donated to Locks of Love. I sooooo have to bite my tongue!

Anyways back on topic.... I think I just need to find a new hairdresser. This chick basically said it was impossible to make the layers shorter due to my length.
(she was not aware of the fact that I have a cosmetology license)
I suppose cutting less off than I wanted is not as bad as cutting to much but it is still annoying!
The sparse long layers did revitalize my curls and give it some style and I am no longer getting "ponytail headaches".
I live in the hot humid Florida Keys so keeping it up is a must!

Charentais
August 21st, 2009, 09:03 AM
I don't yet.

My hair is pretty short still.

But I think I want layers like Sandra Bullock has in Practical Magic.

http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/img/review/981023/practicalmagic.jpg

Not sure yet, because I might get annoyed with the upper layers flyin' around. But I also like that, sometimes.

ACK!

hairbrain
August 21st, 2009, 10:17 AM
I don't yet.

Not sure yet, because I might get annoyed with the upper layers flyin' around. But I also like that, sometimes.

ACK!

ooooh I looooved the hair on Sandra and Nicole in that movie!

Amraann
August 21st, 2009, 10:20 AM
I don't yet.

ACK!

LOL exactly what I was thinking. I loved their hair do's in that movie!

Zombiekins
August 21st, 2009, 10:22 AM

Agreed. At the time I think I had around shoulder-length hair and was like "oh man, I wish I could do braids and have cool long hair!", a few years ago I caught the movie again and realized my hair was much longer than the movie. Even now after my chopping it back! :D Though I've decided the cute double braids with bits falling out is more annoying than adorable. They're always poking my neck. :rolleyes:

jel
August 21st, 2009, 10:38 AM
I grew my hair from a heavily layered barely-shoulder length cut.

Now that it has reached tailbone, my shortest layer is almost waist length. I still like the shape it gives my hair (V-hemline with fairytale ends).

hairbrain
August 21st, 2009, 10:57 AM
Though I've decided the cute double braids with bits falling out is more annoying than adorable. They're always poking my neck. :rolleyes:
LOL isnt this always the case?

inertia
August 21st, 2009, 11:11 AM

Like hairbrain, I had my layers done in 2 stages. I wanted my layers to start around the top of my ear (so I could do Marie Antoinette-ish hair with volume on top and long ringlets on the bottom) and my stylist didn't want to go that short all at once. She cut the top layers into the SL to BSL range, and told me to come back in a few weeks if I still wanted it shorter than that. So I went back 2 weeks later, at which point she was willing to take the layers up to ear length.

vindo
September 5th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Not so much anymore...my have grown out to almost TB length already ^^.

But in the past I always did until TB length, thats when I started to trim more intense.

I have all my LHC Hair History here:

http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0ATLGocEfyf-lZDI0NTY1NF8yMDk5cWJrNDZoaA&hl=en

And from baby to now with some pre LHC layered cuts:

http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0ATLGocEfyf-lZDI0NTY1NF8yMWNkd2Y4OGRj&hl=en

Tangles
September 5th, 2009, 06:49 PM
I'm just past BSL, but I intend to keep my layers. These are mostly in the front. I feel that they bring out the curl and body of my hair, and with my face shape, a straight "curtain" down doesn't look quite right.

However, the back and ends of my hair are NOT layered. This would ruin my hemline I feel.

longhairedfairy
September 5th, 2009, 06:56 PM
I have lots of layers that are all the same length!:p Sorry, stupid joke.

Michiru
September 5th, 2009, 07:03 PM
I do. I just got mine done. I put a post of it here

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=32198

it was still styled at this point. I have been trying in vain to find a way to make my layered ends stick out like in the picture. I already tried mono braid. I even briefly considered having a partial perm on just the ends of the layers to get them to stick out. My hair just hangs straight now. I wish my hair had more curl and body. I guess you always want what you can't have. :rolleyes:

orbiting
September 5th, 2009, 07:19 PM
I have layers. The longest layer is just about BSL or a bit lower, the shortest are my "bangs" and they're just below my chin so I can still have them in my ponytail, but keep them down if I want for a softer look.

I got layers to soften my overall look, especially around my face - and especially since I started wearing contacts.

FreakyGreenEyes
September 5th, 2009, 07:21 PM
I had layers put in when I was creeping past waist - I loved them then and I love them now. Currently creeping past tlb. They added a lot more body to my hair. Like others here, I've come to not mind them sticking out of braids and buns...my hair is as unruly as I. :)

windinherhair
September 5th, 2009, 07:42 PM
I have long hair past my waist with layers that I have been growing out. That is nice your layers have given you more curl and body. My layers really haven't done that much for my hair. Since my hair is so straight and doesnt have a lot of body, it didnt do much for my hair... not unless my hair would be styled with a curling iron. And I don't like to use any heat products on my hair.

Jessikinz
September 5th, 2009, 08:03 PM
I have a couple of layers going on in my waist length hair. Trying to maintain my length until the layers grow out. I just get frustrated with them when I'm braiding and bunning haha. Cause they always pop out and it's just one of those things that really annoy me. I'm aiming for all one length. My shortest layers are about mid back, probably BSL.

polywednesday
September 5th, 2009, 09:13 PM
I had waist length hair with a couple of bra strap or longer layers and went to get it trimmed about a month ago---and got a hair disaster instead. Now I have nasty, shoulder length layers that get frizzy, while the longer layers are straight.

No more layers for me. In a year or two, when this has grown out, I'm calling it quits on layers. They look better on other folks. My hair just needs to be weighed down!

Gingevere
September 5th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Moi. :(

I am extremely not pleased about this. My old stylist cut face-framing layers (basically long bangs) a couple years ago and now I just want them to go away! Can't wait till my hair is all one length again...

inertia
September 6th, 2009, 03:35 AM

it was still styled at this point. I have been trying in vain to find a way to make my layered ends stick out like in the picture. I already tried mono braid. I even briefly considered having a partial perm on just the ends of the layers to get them to stick out. My hair just hangs straight now. I wish my hair had more curl and body. I guess you always want what you can't have. :rolleyes:

Your layers look similar to mine. I've found that bun waves look better than braid waves. However, while the waves take well on the short layers, they fall out of the long layers very quickly.

Foam rollers work quite well. My hair hangs in ringlets when I take them out, but a bit of brushing with a BBB and a little headbanging softens it up into a much more natural wavy look. Rollers are probably the best non-heat way to get the look you want, and don't worry if it starts out looking over-curled because it will fall.

In a pinch, I fall back on the curling iron when I want precise control over the curls. Yeah, it's damaging, but it's not that bad if it's only once in a while.

BringMeThunder
October 8th, 2009, 11:09 PM

Practical Magic is definitely my inspiration right now, I love their hair too!

I have (just barely) waist length hair, because of my layers only a small section at the back actually reaches my waist yet. My shortest layer is only about 12" so there is a significant difference from shortest to longest layer! I love having layers, my hair just looks flat and dull without them.

ravenreed
October 9th, 2009, 01:46 AM
I love my layers and I am approaching tailbone. I wear my hair down a lot, and I find layered long hair more visually appealing. If I was wearing my hair up all the time, I might feel differently.

I cut my layers myself. I put a ponytail on top of my head, lean over and stretch the band out to the ends and trim. Then I do the Frey's self trim method to make sure both sides are even.

I had face framing layers put in some time ago, so I have very long layers. I am trying to shorten them a bit, so that on the odd times I do put braids in, they are less fuzzy all the way up. I still love them though. The down side to layers, other than fuzzy braids and bits sticking out of buns is that you do have to neaten them up from time to time or they can start to look raggedy. If you are not a trimmer, you might want to think about it.

Aditi
October 9th, 2009, 04:28 AM
I have waist length hair and i had layers when i was at BSL so i guess my layers grew into long ones as my hair came to waist. I love layers it gives my wavy hair some shape and once i reach hip length i will get myself some long layers.

Gabriel
October 9th, 2009, 05:57 AM
I'm thinking in a few more inches I might get my naturally occurring layers cleaned up and a few more added in.

I don't braid my hair much and oddly, if my hair is all one length, the blunt ends poke out strangely.

Fethenwen
October 9th, 2009, 06:25 AM

I would suggest you try putting your hair in two rope braids or twist the sides when your hair is damp.
This is something I do almost every time right after I have washed my hair, it gives awesome curls to my layers.

The two rope braids I make, are twisted in the direction that goes away from my face, upwards.
The simple hair twisting I make is pretty similar in the direction, I just twist the sides and attach them with a hairclip behind. It gives a bit looser curl than the rope braids.
I usually take this down when my hair has dried. No heat nor styling products needed :)