PDA

View Full Version : hairtyping?

squiggyflop
August 20th, 2009, 01:16 PM
um well my hair has changed in wavyness as it got longer.. help my figure out what it is

i think the most frustrating part is that my hair is only wavy at the ends.. the heavyness of my hair pulls the top straight.. all the ends are flippy.. not only flippy but sort of spirally too
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg69/squiggyflop/hairaugust2009.jpg
this picture is of my hair right after it dried from the shower (before the summer grease covered it..) i didnt comb it or anything.. i did actually let it dry loose for once.. i usually wash at night and put it up in a sleep bun.. i combed it in the shower a bit just to evenly distribute the conditioner before i put on the shower cap (i leave on the conditioner for a while)

so what do you all think?.. does the hairtyping system cover my straight top and spirally bottom??
anyone else have this problem??

Heidi_234
August 20th, 2009, 01:19 PM
It looks so dramatically different on top and bottom! Until I read your post I assumed you had it in a low ponytail down the length. Could it be past damage though? It looks so unusual...
ETA: note the color difference too.

Fractalsofhair
August 20th, 2009, 01:21 PM
I'd guess 2c, as it does curl, but is pulled flat by the length of your hair. Maybe a weak 3a.

squiggyflop
August 20th, 2009, 01:34 PM
It looks so dramatically different on top and bottom! Until I read your post I assumed you had it in a low ponytail down the length. Could it be past damage though? It looks so unusual...
ETA: note the color difference too.
the color difference is just 2 different brands of henna plus my hair always lightens in the sun.. my hair has always been this way ever since i can remember (the curly bottom thing).. ive cut off 13 inches so im sure it isnt damage..
even when my hair was short the top was always straight but as it got longer it got worse.. the straight part is getting longer as time goes on.. and when i trim off the curly part the straight part becomes the curly part

I'd guess 2c, as it does curl, but is pulled flat by the length of your hair. Maybe a weak 3a.
hmm a weak 3a.. hmmm

kirky
August 20th, 2009, 01:39 PM
No matter what typing we all may disagree on (2C or 3A), I know we'll all agree that it looks fantastic! I love that extra bounce at the ends!

PS - My vote is for 2C

Heidi_234
August 20th, 2009, 01:39 PM
the color difference is just 2 different brands of henna plus my hair always lightens in the sun.. my hair has always been this way ever since i can remember (the curly bottom thing).. ive cut off 13 inches so im sure it isnt damage..
even when my hair was short the top was always straight but as it got longer it got worse.. the straight part is getting longer as time goes on.. and when i trim off the curly part the straight part becomes the curly part
That's interesting. I assumed your hair underwent some kind of processing and hence the hairtype difference, but you know your hair better of course. If it's the weight then if your hair is indeed wavy/wurly then it does not hold it well.
The bottom part doesn't look beyond 2c to me, it's not curlier than mine for sure. :shrug:

squiggyflop
August 20th, 2009, 01:54 PM
No matter what typing we all may disagree on (2C or 3A), I know we'll all agree that it looks fantastic! I love that extra bounce at the ends!
PS - My vote is for 2C
ok so 2c.. but what about the top? or does only the bottom count.. im confused

That's interesting. I assumed your hair underwent some kind of processing and hence the hairtype difference, but you know your hair better of course. If it's the weight then if your hair is indeed wavy/wurly then it does not hold it well.
The bottom part doesn't look beyond 2c to me, it's not curlier than mine for sure. :shrug:
processing? what kind of processing would cause this? all my processed ends were chopped off long ago..

you know whats weird? when i put my hair into a pony tail the bottom 7 inches sometimes forms a single loose spiral (all the hair is spun around into one curl).. weird..

LutraLutra
August 20th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Wow, that's a really unusal wave pattern. It looks like you're a 1b/2c :D. It's certainly very pretty looking whatver you decide to call it.

squiggyflop
August 20th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Wow, that's a really unusal wave pattern. It looks like you're a 1b/2c :D. It's certainly very pretty looking whatver you decide to call it.
i dont think thats one of the choices fort the side panel

ok so just so you all can see..
here is a pic of my hair when it was short.. ignore flippy bangs they are too short to be pulled straight.. notice that the roots are just starting to get pulled straight by the weight of the hair.. before this my hair was too short to see the strange straight roots thing
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v512/kidmol/meaugust2007prettyliq-1.jpg

4 months later we can see that the straight hair is moving downward (trimmed a few inches between the 2 pics
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg69/squiggyflop/dec2007lengthshot.jpg
note bangs are still flippy and short.. also there is an ear curl at the sides from putting my hair behind my ears while wet

Cherry_Sprinkle
August 20th, 2009, 03:20 PM
I don't have any idea how to classify your hair but its breathtakingly beautiful!! :thud:

spidermom
August 20th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Do you have any spirals that start high? If so, I'd say 2C. The weight of my hair pulls the top straight also, although I still have a few places on my scalp where the spiral goes from top to bottom if I air-dry it (at my temple on one side, behind each ear).

amnicare
August 20th, 2009, 03:36 PM
My vote is for 2c. I always wondered why the hair gets straighter as it gets longer. The weight, makes sense.

Heidi_234
August 20th, 2009, 03:45 PM
processing? what kind of processing would cause this? all my processed ends were chopped off long ago..

you know whats weird? when i put my hair into a pony tail the bottom 7 inches sometimes forms a single loose spiral (all the hair is spun around into one curl).. weird..
It's deceiving that it starts to curl right where the color changes. Processing could be dyeing, bleaching, sun-In. But if you say you cut it all off long time ago then it is not the case. I thought also about the henna, you said you switched henna, did you do roots only? Because henna is known to loose curl for some, and the color suggests that the wurly curly hair was dyed with less potent henna.
Or your hair is indeed 2c all the way but can easily straighten. My curls, for example, are rather strong and stubborn - my hair even twirls under running water. The ponytail takes some of the weight away and allows more length to curl.

squiggyflop
August 20th, 2009, 04:05 PM
ok so i took my hairs from yesterdays shower (i line them all up and put them on the sink to later be used for experiments and such+they clog the drain if i leave them in the bath+ive been thinking of making some fake bang extentions for myself)

i made sure all the white folical ends were at the top and i tied them off (i didnt wash my hair for more than a week so i shed over 200 hairs)

so after tying them off i wet them and then let them dry naturally (hanging from a hook on the wall).. the ends curled up into one loose spiral.. the top was straight..

so i cut off the curly part.. the hair stayed straight.. so i wet the hair and hung it up again to dry.. the curl was back..
so im thinking that it must mean that my hair is wavy all the way through.. hmmm it wont hold the curl.. hhhmmmm i wonder if it means that my hair is weak or something.. maybe thats why i always get split ends..

also this means that when i do figure out how to turn my stray hairs into false bangs ill have to be careful not to get them wet..

so then my hair is something like 2b/2c and gets straighter as it gets longer

ETA the lighter henna on the bottom is the same brand as the henna at the very top where its the most straight (the middle part was where i experimented with a different brand) so im sure the different brands arent really an issue.. oh and if the lighting was better you would be able to see the top is basically the same color as the bottom.. stupid camera phone

Thinthondiel
August 20th, 2009, 06:07 PM
so im thinking that it must mean that my hair is wavy all the way through.. hmmm it wont hold the curl.. hhhmmmm i wonder if it means that my hair is weak or something..

Could it be that the reason your hair won't hold the curl is because you have fine/medium hair?

I have coarse hair which is wavy, with some spiral curls when I don't brush it, and every now and then I pinch an individual spirally strand several inches from the end of the hair, twist/turn my fingers upwards, and if the hair is thick/coarse enough, it will stand up from my fingers in a spiral - that's how well my coarsest hairs hold a curl. That doesn't work with my finer hairs, though... they just go limp when I try that.

Heidi_234
August 21st, 2009, 12:59 AM
squiggyflop, your experiment says it all. You might find luck encouraging your curls with plopping and employing some CG methods of hair care. Thinthondiel brought up an interesting idea about the fine/coarse hair holding curl. Even though my hair is not coarse, it's just medium (as much as I can tell! I'm very unsure of that).

Margeaux
August 21st, 2009, 01:30 AM
Ditto'ed on the liking! I think it would look really pretty if you'd drape the front/side down over your chest to get that sort of goddess look a lot of Hollywood actresses go for at premieres. It reminds me of that :D

Hairtype-wise I'd like to ask: is there still a (slight) S-pattern to the straight top part of your hair? If so, that would indicate wavier (2b, 2c hair). I consider myself to be a 2c/3a and from what I can tell my hair is a lot more wavy/curly than yours.