PDA

View Full Version : silicones

mommy2one05
April 15th, 2008, 10:33 PM
so if you regularly use cones will it pull your natural waves out?
i am still trying to figure out my hair...lol...so confusing

chrissy-b
April 16th, 2008, 12:48 AM
I know when I stopped using cones my hair became a bit wavy and had much more body but overall my hair is pretty dern straight. I'm sure some curlies will have better answers for you.

Riot Crrl
April 16th, 2008, 12:54 AM
I don't know if it was the silicones so much as the detergent needed to remove the silicones. I stopped both at the same time.

Katze
April 16th, 2008, 05:00 AM
My results vary. I just used 'cones in both shampoo and conditioner on Sunday night and my hair is super wavy today, Wednesday - with corkscrew spirals at the ends! I've been using a non-cone (GR) leave in every day, which might explain it.

When I first went to 'cones in December my hair get much straighter, though smoother and less frizzy. I'm not sure if it's weather, hormones, how much I do SMTs, or the 'cones themselves, as my hair really does change from day to day.

At the end of the day I suspect that occasional 'cone use - I use Dove products every 3rd or 4th wash, so 1+ times a month or so - doesn't really make that much of a difference.

Curlsgirl
April 16th, 2008, 06:08 AM
I think they definitely weighed my hair down somewhat. But when I used them I NEEDED my hair weighed down. Now the length pulls it down some so I don't need that anymore. I am not sure about wavy hair though. That might be totally different.:shrug:

Your hair is very pretty!!!

wishfulthinking
April 16th, 2008, 06:09 AM
My hair got wavier once I stop using cones.

Sillage
April 16th, 2008, 06:17 AM
My hair has lost some of its wave since I've been back on cones. But my hair is hardly wavy at all to begin with so... :shrug:

lora410
April 16th, 2008, 06:19 AM
It probably wont pull them all out but the cone will weigh them down. Since I stopped using cones my hair got puffier and wavier (these are good things) vs stringy and limp.

lookingglass
April 16th, 2008, 09:52 PM
I use cones right now and I'm cuuuurly. They actually help my curls stay, especially in the winter when it is really dry. They seem to lock in moisture.

OhioLisa
April 16th, 2008, 09:55 PM
I can use a cone condish once, even one that is light on cones, and my waves are gone. One more reason not to use them in my case.

Patrycja
April 16th, 2008, 10:04 PM
I use cones but I noticed now(after being clueless for so long)that I need to do a clarifying treatment every other week or more often.Now,I have recently dyed my hair again so I don't know if my old clarifying treatment will do well with my locks.I used to do baking soda and shampoo mixed into a paste and apply gently to scalp,squeezed down the length.Rinse and follow with a realllyyyy deep treatment.It will make your hair feel like straw if you do not follow with a DT(try a SMT as a moisture treatment).I can get by with just using a very heavy cone conditioner and I have the greatest waves and curls when my hair dryes.
I've went of cones before and didn't know about clarifying so my hair was in terrible shape.Once I did the BS treatment,I was back in business ;) Now,I'm a cone head again-just armed with better knowledge :)

rubyredslippers
April 16th, 2008, 11:29 PM
Cones cut down on frizz for me and straighten my waves some--but not entirely. I guess I'd be a 2c/3a without cones. It gets kinda spirally.

I use cones because it cuts down on frizz, more than the slight straightening; that's just bonus for me. Plus it makes my hair feel silkier.