PDA

View Full Version : Well, I waited the 2 weeks but it needed to be done

MandaMom2Three
August 20th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Well I did it. I LOVED the length of my hair, but the ends were making me sad. I thought about it for a couple weeks, did a tiny trim first to see if that would help and today I just bit the bullet and cut off as much of the ends as I could bear. My hair is at APL when wet now, BUT....the ends are THICK (well as thick as things get for me lol) ALL the remaining layers from my last disaster salon trip are gone and the ratty straggly Velcro ends I'd developed are gone. So I'm sad about the length but happy about the condition now.

I'm actually toying with the idea of just maintaining here. It seems no matter how carefully I treat my hair, by the time I'm approaching waist it's ratty and damaged and breaking badly :(. If I maintain here, I can play around with things that I couldn't before (I'd love to try a straightening iron :couch:) since I'd be trimming regularly. I could always play around with wigs for the times I want the increased length. I'd love to have my own hair down to my butt, but I don't want to live with ratty ends, I'd rather shorter hair that I can wear down with glee than any length where the ends make me :scared: . Well see :)

I know the rule, no pic = didn't happen :lol: I'm just waiting for it to dry, then I'll take a pic :p (hopefully it wont be too bad, I can't stop touching me new soft ends lol)

Kiraela
August 20th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Well, it sounds like you are happy with the cut, so yay! I am glad! I hope you can figure out a way to keep growing and keep your ends healthy at the same time.

Definately, pics would be good!

Spike
August 20th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Pat, pat, pat. Sorry about the loss of length, but glad to hear you're happy with the ends now. Sounds like you've figured out your hair priorities.

And there's no shame in maintaining your hair in any way that makes you happy.

Unofficial_Rose
August 20th, 2009, 03:23 PM
It sounds like you're happier with it, which is the point, really.

And it'll grow back looking so much nicer!

little_acorn
August 20th, 2009, 03:40 PM
{hugs} for the cut - but I'm glad you are happy with the result

spidermom
August 20th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Whatever will give you the most enjoyment with your own hair; I'm all for it.

If you want something you've never had (hair down to your butt), you will probably have to do things that you've never done. For me, a biggie was learning to wear my hair up most of the time. I had this mental image of long flowing hair, which I still get to enjoy when I'm in the mood, but most of the time my hair is up or braided. It grows much better that way. The other major change was cwc with diluted shampoo. My scalp is oily so I washed it often, but the ends would dry out. Problem solved! (oh - and using a little oil on the ends; they drink it right up)

Jessikinz
August 20th, 2009, 05:07 PM
I did this the other day, I wrote about in my blog. I'm glad that you are happy with it. That's the most important thing. Sometimes you need to make a lot of sacrifices to get to where you want to go. Good luck with your hair journey :)

willowcandra
August 21st, 2009, 02:08 AM
congrats on the healthy ends. In your growing attempts have you tried to grow without trimming? If so it may be worth reaching for your goal at a much slower rate having regular trims. That may help your ends get longer in better condition.
just a thought.

Bereft
August 21st, 2009, 02:20 AM
Aww, youre hair looked so healthy in your pictures though! If youre hair feels better and looks better where you cut it, then I'm glad that you are happy.:) If you do decide to grow it longer, then I hope it grows healthy and beautiful. :flower:

MandaMom2Three
August 21st, 2009, 06:35 AM
my pics were always JUST after a treatment, when they looked best, it didn't take long, usually an hour more or less, before the ends were dried and tangled again :( I think I'll do as willowcandra suggested and just take my time getting to classic with regular trims, my hair is so brittle and breaks easily that S&D's leave me with very choppy ends, a regular full trim would probably make all the difference in being able to tolerate my ends long term. Also, maybe this is a good opportunity to start growing out my henna. I LOVE how henna looks on me, but I already know that I want to have LONG grey hair, and two tones red and gray is not what I'm looking for LOL. I may just let the henna grow out and try something like manic panic when I want a colour fix :D

Anyway, I think it looks really cute so I'm not TOO upset over the whole thing, here's a pic. Depending on how wavy it is at the moment it can look anywhere from shoulder to APL lol

http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww235/MandyTFM/hair004.jpg

The green line is where my longer ends were before.

ETA- and my hair's in a half up in this pic! it looks so much thicker now :)

ipickee
August 21st, 2009, 06:45 AM
Well, congrats! I'd HATE to have to cut my hair, but it sounds almost like a relief to you! It's beautiful, btw.

smilinjenn71
August 21st, 2009, 06:47 AM
I agree with a previous poster that said there is no shame in keeping your hair the length that make YOU happy!

Honestly, I have zero desire to go past BSL. For me, that is the absolute longest I want to go. For others, happiness doesn't come for them until they are much longer.

I think you made a great decision! I would have done the same b/c I can't stand velcro ends! Even at my short length, I'm considering a 1/2 inch trim to get rid of some damaged ends from coloring before finding Hendigo.

Your length is really nice and your hair looks nice and thick!:flower:

MandaMom2Three
August 21st, 2009, 06:57 AM
but it sounds almost like a relief to you! It's beautiful, btw.

Thank you :flower: and it IS a relief! I LOVED the feel of it brushing against my back, but then I'd LOOK at it and the feeling just sank. Nothing was helping it for very long and while my length goal is classic, my MAIN goal is hair where I'm happy with the length AND look/feel of it. I don't mind how long it takes to get there, I'm going to keep going until I find the balance that works best for me :D.

I had to laugh a bit, to give you an idea of how think my ends really were, I've discovered that even after taking off that much, my buns are the same size!!! Any difference is too minuscule to be noticeable! Now hopefully I can maintain this thickness as it grows :cheese:

JamieLeigh
August 21st, 2009, 04:01 PM
I'm glad you did what works best for you. I'm here to say that trimming often on the way to classic is a good thing. I'm very happy with my decision to cut an inch last night. :)

Amara
August 21st, 2009, 04:05 PM
Good deal with being happy! I'm considering a trim tonight as well...