PDA

View Full Version : cutting off the henna

Sunshine69
August 20th, 2009, 09:56 AM
I have been thinking about this for several months now. I have about 7 inches of my natural light brown color grown in and the rest down to below BSL is dark henna. Today I'm going to call my hair stylist and try to get in for a cut. I'm thinking that I'll have him cut it into a shoulder length layered style to get rid of all the henna.

There are things that I love about having long hair, but this summer I've been thinking more and more that I'd like to have my hair be all my own natural color. I'm also starting to get annoyed by my long hair. I don't like to wear it up because I tend to get headaches easily. And it's the texture of hair that tangles very easily when I leave it down, which I usually do.

So I'm looking forward to having natural colored hair that will be more comfortable and easier for me to manage. Maybe I'll start growing it long again after this cut. I'll just have to wait and see. I'll try to post some before and after pics when I do this (hopefully I can get in today).

Don't think that this is a spur of the moment idea. I've been thinking about it for at least several months. And lately I've been thinking about it more and more frequently, so I think I'm ready.

melrose1985
August 20th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Good luck!

patience
August 20th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Good luck! Be sure to post some before and after pics.

Fractalsofhair
August 20th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Good luck. I'm sure it will look wonderful!

If you do decide to grow your hair out again, there are lots of methods that are very gentle to keep your hair up. Try braiding it as well.

Kiraela
August 20th, 2009, 10:35 AM
It sounds like you've thought long and hard about this, so I wish you luck, and would love before/after pics!

Aisha25
August 20th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Better to do now than later on with really long hair. I could never decide to stop henna it would take too long and so much trouble.

Deborah
August 20th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Good for you! :cheese: I think you are making a wise choice. Once your hair is all natural, you can then grow it as long as you like, but with way less hassle.

Unofficial_Rose
August 20th, 2009, 12:18 PM
If it were me, I'd go for the cut it off option too.

In fact I've pretty much done the same thing, and I've had to go short. The remainder of it gets cut off/highlighted over on Saturday!

It gets so exasperating looking at henna'ed hair when it's not what you want anymore.

Sunshine69
August 20th, 2009, 02:31 PM
thanks for the well wishes. I have an appointment 4 hours from now. I'm starting to feel excited about this!

Sunshine69
August 20th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Here's an after picture: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=2567&pictureid=48445

Most of the henna is gone, but you can still see I have about an inch or two of red on the ends. I forgot to take a before photo, but this is from earlier this year (march 10) after doing a buxus treatment to try to tone down the red. My hair was several inches longer before I cut it today.http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=2567&pictureid=33358

I'll cut the last bit of henna off in a couple of months.

edit: I don't know why the photos aren't showing up. They are in my album, though, under "Hair Progress Pictures".

pradabacon
August 20th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Oh, I just went to see the pic! It looks great! http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu287/hootalicious/ok.gif

And you are beautiful, btw! :flower: Happy growing with your natural color. I love it!

Toadstool
August 21st, 2009, 01:28 AM
It looks absolutely lovely!:) You are the sort of woman I would turn my head to admire on the street:)

Sunshine69
August 21st, 2009, 12:42 PM
Thank you for the compliments. I am glad I finally cut the henna off. It's such a relief to be rid of that flaming red hair. I'm also enjoying this short length. I'll probably let it grow long again, but this is nice for a change.

Unofficial_Rose
August 21st, 2009, 01:45 PM
What lovely wavy hair you have! Must be a relief to get the coloured hair off and have your natural colour.

Amara
August 21st, 2009, 03:03 PM
Have fun with your new all natural hair!! :) I am also growing out henna and have thought about cutting it off... but I'm going to do it the slow way.

JamieLeigh
August 21st, 2009, 03:28 PM
Whatever makes you more comfortable, do it! :flower: Long hair is awesome, but it's definitely not for everyone. And I can definitely appreciate the appeal of having your own, natural hair color from root to tip. Good luck with whatever you choose. :)