PDA

View Full Version : Cut or not

juliaxena
August 20th, 2009, 12:10 AM
I really really don't want to be a pain, but I just don't know what to do. If you look at my signature picture, you'll se my hair is layered, the upper layer reaches my chin. I have been growing my hair since february and since I wasnt dying with semi permanent dye at the time, my hair at the back, the one closest to the neck is dry, ends are uneven and it's the same with upper layer. Do you tink I should try to keep the ends as moisturised as possible for as long as I can pull it through or should I just cut to chin lenght? I know it's ultimately my decision but I just don't know what to do.

Dachsdragon
August 20th, 2009, 12:45 AM
I would let it grow. It looks lovely. Maybe try some pure Shea butter on the ends for dryness and conditioning.

willowcandra
August 20th, 2009, 01:43 AM
If the ends are in bad shape now they will stay in bad shape. You could limit the damage with good care but is it worth it?

If it was me I would cut the dry off and start with healthy all over. Healthy hair trumps length every time.

However.....if you had asked me this when my hair was your length I would have said to grow it out with care and trim off the ends when it was around shoulder or apl.:) I do understand the urge to grow lol.

Just follow the two week rule before cutting.

Renbirde
August 20th, 2009, 03:01 AM
I'd say pamper your ends to keep the damage from spreading, and keep trimming... oh, a quarter inch every few months. Eventually the damage will be gone, and you won't feel like you're setting yourself back hugely.

lilalong
August 20th, 2009, 03:13 AM
I would probably cut to a chin length bob without layers. Then you'd have healthy ends and bob is easy to grow out. BUt that's just me, ultimately, it's your decision and you should do what makes you happy.

Toadstool
August 20th, 2009, 04:11 AM
I would probably cut to a chin length bob without layers. Then you'd have healthy ends and bob is easy to grow out. BUt that's just me, ultimately, it's your decision and you should do what makes you happy.

Ditto!
And don't worry about asking for advice, that's one of the reasons we have a forum.:)

rockey
August 20th, 2009, 04:25 AM
Hi everybody

I am rockey doing great job. I have a problem with white hair in my head, I was try many more oil and took medicine but not used.

You have any idea for how can i remove this problem.:confused:

KnightsLady
August 20th, 2009, 05:11 AM
I'd suggest leaving it and pampering the ends for as long as possible. When getting to somewhere like shoulder length, trim half of your growth each month or two.

I cut 3-4 inches in the attempt to rid myself of split ends and I'm still regretting it almost three months later.... If I still want to rid myself of the remaining damaged ends, I'll try the Emichee method above next time. Less dramatic and I'll still be able to do the updos I've been used to.

marikamt
August 20th, 2009, 05:29 AM
I'd say pamper your ends to keep the damage from spreading, and keep trimming... oh, a quarter inch every few months. Eventually the damage will be gone, and you won't feel like you're setting yourself back hugely.

I am with Renbirde.... split the difference... there is a good thread about trimming out there, I think Spidermom had a great post in it. Cut a teeny bit off (the worst of the ends, let it grow for a few months while you baby it, then cut another teeny bit off... that way you will not get discouraged by losing too much length but are still getting rid of the damage. I went thru it for a while at APL... it was stinky, stanky, stunk... but now I am glad as my ends are healthy. Good Luck!

didrash
August 20th, 2009, 05:34 AM

Ahm... This is good if you can stand hair in your face but... I did this a couple of times. It is so very hard to keep hair out of your face with this, I couldnt stand it and before you know it it was pixie again. This time I dont cut until I am sure I can get all my hair in the ponytail and then trim a little at a time.

BlueWaterRed
August 20th, 2009, 05:38 AM
First, your hair looks beautiful. I too think the "split the difference" approach might help you reach your goal more quickly, but if you feel that you'll worry or obsess about the ends too much, the bob cut suggestion will still give you a good beginning toward your goal. Sometimes when the damage is gone, you're free of the worry.

Good luck with your decision, and let us know (with a pic) what you did.

Madame J
August 20th, 2009, 05:42 AM
I would add one caveat: Do you have a hairstylist that you can absolutely 100% trust to do exactly what you want? I don't just mean someone who listens when you say "cut X amount," but also someone with whom you have an existing relationship and know how to communicate so that you both are envisioning the same hair cut. When I went in for a 1" trim, I said "JUST trim 1" off the bottom," and he still re-cut layers because I didn't say "and please don't cut any more layers." He's from an era in my life where I had short, heavily-layered haircuts, so I probably won't go back to him for long-hair trimming.

If you don't have someone you can absolutely trust not to give you another layered flip, which will then grow out unevenly, I would say baby and grow out until you're past shoulders, and then trim.

Tap Dancer
August 20th, 2009, 06:48 AM
If the layers don't bother you, let it grow for a while. I've had layers off and on since I was a teen. I love them for a while and then they drive me crazy and I cut my hair. You'll have a thicker-looking hemline if you cut, though. Personally, I think it would look better without layers.

spidermom
August 20th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Start with a 1/2-inch trim from the longest part. Repeat as needed.

spidermom
August 20th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Hi everybody

I am rockey doing great job. I have a problem with white hair in my head, I was try many more oil and took medicine but not used.

You have any idea for how can i remove this problem.:confused:

I think you will want to start a new thread about this. It was in the "cut or not" thread.

Periwinkle
August 20th, 2009, 08:44 AM
At your current length, I'm guessing you can't wear any protective styles (i.e. buns or braids), right?

If you can't, then I'd try and live with it until you can - that way, you'll really be able to protect your new ends. Cutting now will result in your new ends not being as protected as they could be which could mean having to trim them sooner.

LaurelSpring
August 20th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Personally I think it would be too discouraging to cut to chin. You have alot of growth there. I would let it grow, take good care of it and do the microdusting trims. A tiny bit every 3 months or something like that. Ends are always going to be an issue as your hair grows long. With big cuts or evenings you just dont get anywhere fast.

Amraann
August 20th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Since your not absolutely sure about cutting it all off I would take the advise of many and just go with trims and baby the ends.

Deborah
August 20th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Start with a 1/2-inch trim from the longest part. Repeat as needed.

:agree: Yeah, what she said.

Your hair looks lovely, so I don't think you need to cut off too much at a time. Once you get it all one length and with a nice hemline, then you can let it grow as long as you like, with no layers or funny ends to worry about.

Good luck! :)

kumar.lovely4u
August 20th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Hi, ur hair looks good. dont cut the hair. try to improve it.

Angharad
August 20th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Please, do not cut it; just have lots of SMT's and take really good care of your hair (wich by the way looks very beautiful)!